Hyundai i20 hatchback

£10,180 - £13,680

Hyundai i20 hatchback owner reviews

53%
 people would recommend this car to a friend
Pilotair from Malta
1.2 Comfort 5dr
33.00
Bought car
Having just over 6,000Km on the clock, I'm really disappointed with the fuel economy of the car despite other minor issues which I can live with, like noises in the steering wheel and noise in the back electric window. Hyundai service team where not able to solve the steering issue, and thought it is not worth continuing to waste time trying to solve the issue unless it is life threatening. Months back there have been an (unofficial recall) and a firmware update was applied. They were quite reserved to disclose any information about the update and was told that it is a must, refrain from doing it will void your warranty! When I insisted for further info, they said that there were reports while driving the engine will stall and loose power. So being a software issue, its probably an ECU problem. Before this, the eco was better (38-40MPG), Using it for mainly for city driving no more than 10Km daily except for weekends. Of course there are many variables when speaking about economy like driving style. I don't keep pushing it on low gears and often apply the 5th gear while it reaches 50-55Km/hr without struggling the engine. So in my point of view I'm trying my best to achieve the best economy possible with this car but it has let me down! I used to own a Suzuki jimny 1998 1.3 (4x4) and used to give 32-34MPG. Hyundai having newer technology and suppose to be more refined for eco, so I expected at least 40MPG at least. But nowhere close to its claimed 56MPG! Unfortunately i cant complain with Hyundai service team on this issue because it has lot of variables and so you are told that all is okay with the car... Im very curious to give it a run on a motor way someday with the same speed for 30min.
Problems
Engine
Davey from North East
1.1 CRDI 75PS Active 5dr
55.00
Bought car
The worst car I have ever bought - stay well away, problems from day one. Purchased at 9 months old 10K miles. Bad points - Within 2 weeks of owning I had problems opening the drivers door, this happened twice. Shortly after this the steering wheel started peeling, I must say after the steering wheel has been changed the problem has not returned... yet. Then the seats become very uncomfortable (a metal rod at the base of the seat), even after the uprated seat foam from the manufacturer the problem still continues so I think a nice fluffy cushion should do the trick. Diesel leaking in the engine oil, who knows if the problem will ever be fixed. Now after the car becoming 2 years old the tailgate has started rusting badly below the rear window. Make sure the perforation book is stamped at 12 months or the rust is not under warranty as I have now found out to my cost (due to the dealership failing to mention this). Fuel economy is not what was stated, I get an average of 55-60mpg that's with the aid of new A/B rating tyres fitted and driving very carefully. The Bluetooth telephone connectivity is of a very bad design and I don't bother using it as it doesn't appear to work with my Blackberry. Good points - The door mirrors fold away with the touch of a button. Headlight have a good range/visibility. Spacious cabin. Free road tax. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels. My advice, spend a bit more money and go for a different manufacturer, I certainly will next time. Bye.
Running costs:
Problems
Engine
Dazsteven from Wigan
1.2 petrol
66.70
Bought car
This was a courtesy car from Hyundai and I found for the money this is way better than the fiesta if you want a petrol engine. It is like a smaller version of the i30 which drives not much different than the 1.6diesel but pick up a tad slower. I got over 60mpg over 50 miles I had that day on motorway, country roads and town driving. It was a 3 door car which the only downside was the rear seats, no leg room to stretch at all and only good for children, perfect for two adults at the front though. It has a 5 speed gearbox but don't let that put you off, and the suspension is very smooth. Test drive one and see for yourself if you want a smooth drive and economy with a reliable record and good for either just passed your driving test or older people who want a decent small car for getting about, Try this.
Reliability:
Reliability is pretty good, the parts take too long if there is a problem that is the only downside to Hyundai, no engine breakdowns touch wood.
Performance:
The 1.2 petrol isn't as quick as the 1.6 diesel in the i30 but nearly there but doesn't disappoint. The steering feels a bit jellyfied slightly heavy going round the bends with a bit of oversteer.
Running costs:
Cheap as chips. If you cannot afford to run this car, you may as well walk.
Ben Ross from Langtoft, UK
1.1 Crdi Blue Drive
59.00
Bought car
I bought this as my first new car based on the amazing Hyundai mpg figure over 80mpg urban and over 90mpg combined. In 5, 000 miles it has only averaged 59mpg (best 67, worst 47), costing me an extra £150 in fuel. I drive very economically, so I am very disappointed. Almost all miles are extra urban, and I don't exceed 56mph! It is also not that fun to drive. On the plus side it has the lightest power steering and very bright headlights. The ISG doesn't always work. The ipod connector would be better if you could navigate your ipods own controls, rather than through the cars stereo buttons. I hope Hyundai will take the car back in and improve the fuel efficiency.
Reliability:
It seems to be reliable, nothing has gone wrong.
Performance:
For such a tiny engine its not too bad.
Running costs:
Terrible compared to the claimed figure - extra urban 94mpg, my extra urban has averaged me just 59mpg.
Problems
Other
Bob Timms from Cheshire
Classic
50.00
Bought car
After studying all the opposition we bought the i20, an ex-demonstrator, due to it's high amount of standard equipment, safety features and great price. According to What Car it's residual 3 yr value beats the Fiesta and Corsa. We have not been disappointed. I sold my Merc. SL500 and downsized to allow my teenage daughter to also use the car and the insurance is very low, the car is extremely comfortable on both short and long distance. We have had no issues with the car and if I was to "nit pick" the tyres do make a bit of road noise so would probably change the brand when they need replacing. I cannot understand the people who have left "not recommend" remarks after giving 5 and 4 star reviews - something not right there!!
Ben Ross from Langtoft, UK
1.1 Crdi Blue Drive
59.00
Bought car
I bought this as my first new car based on the amazing Hyundai mpg figure over 80mpg and over 90mpg combined. In 5, 000 miles it has only averaged 59mpg (best 67, worst 47), costing me an extra £150 in fuel. I drive very economically, so I am very disappointed. Almost all miles are extra urban, and I don't exceed 56mph! It is also not that fun to drive. On the plus side it has the lightest power steering and very bright headlights. The ISG doesn't always work. The ipod connector would be better if you could navigate your ipods own controls, rather than through the cars stereo buttons. I hope Hyundai will take the car back in and improve the fuel efficiency.
Problems
Other
D Perren from Hampshire
Classic 1.2 petrol 5 door
45.00
Bought car
Very reliable little workhorse. Well equipped and reasonably economical. Cheap insurance and road tax. Not the most comfortable car ever but adequate for the daily commute. The downside of this car has been niggly problems. Poor paintwork which chips easily. Remedied by a warranty re spray after arguing with dealership.. Leaking gearbox fixed under warranty. New sun visors replaced under warranty. The oil leak has returned and the radio regularly loses channels. Hoping for more warranty repairs on next service. Warranty expires next year !!!!
Problems
Engine
Gearbox / clutch
Joanne from West Sussex
Comfort, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
Nice car, improved shape, bit of a bumpy ride on roads that are not perfect (which most are not!). Dashboard is a bit plasticy and creeks when its cold and you put the heater on to warm the car up. I'm a bit disappointed that the i20 does not have a top of the range model like they did with the getz as i bought a new car and had to have lots of extras added to the car. I now have a creeking sunroof. Things like a sunroof should be included in the top of the range model.
Running costs:
Problems
Other
Susan Holt from Tyne & Wear
Classic
40.00
Bought car
This is my first car after passing my test and yes it is a good looking car. Pros- spacious inside although ugly plastic dash, supportive comfy seats, smooth gears. Con- the bite is difficult to reach so I over rev or stall (never stalled in car when learning to drive) and it is so light and floaty that I don't fell safe over 50 mph as it bobbles along at speed. I cannot gel with this car after 6 months and am going to buy a Fiesta.
Problems
Other
Hari from Chennai
Sportz, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
It's like pleasure driving i20 at 130kmph No vibs, feel like flying...except am not sure about braking at that speed, as i haven't applied.... Interior is very good, very neatly arranged compartments...like entering a luxury hotel... And finally for premium hatcback segment, this is definitely the king of cars.... Thanks for the oppurtunity to express my romance towards my car, i20. Hari India Splendorhari@gmail.com
Peter from Shropshire
classic, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
Great little car let down by main dealer service price. was told car must go back to them for service or risk losing parts of our warranty which after phoning hyundai was told this was not true. car was returned from service not cleaned as promised .a few weeks later noticed oil on our drive[loose sump plug] they then refused to pick up car until i complained to there head office then they did. no tel calls since.
Running costs:
Problems
Engine
anonymous
comfort, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Owned for
The electrical problem was only a loose fuse and fixed in 10 mins. Nice styling and very well equiped, economical with more performance than expected. still pleased with it after almost 2 yrs and considering another car from hyundai (have two cars) plenty of room for its size both front and back. I feel that i got more than expected in this car.
Running costs:
Problems
Electrics
Ginny from Horsham
Comfort, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
Very good - easy to handle and park. Easy to drive long distances and in country lanes. The only real problem i've had is the gearbox which is different from my old car and not as easy - i'm not as young as i was! I test drove the 1.2 and ordered a 1.4 and they're different, but i'm used to it now.
Running costs:
Problems
Engine
Emma from Dereham
1-1.5 litre, Petrol
47.00
Bought car
Day to day very reliable but when it's cold often won't start first time and has been known not to start if its not used for more than 1 day
Running costs:
Claims to do well in excess of 52mpg but I have only had this once on a long trip uphill or with a full car it's awful on petrol sometimes only 42mpg
Problems
Other
GEOFF from LINCOLN
3.3
3.3
1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Manual
35.00
Bought car
since purchasing the car 19 months ago it has had a ,steering rack replaced,all brake discs skimmed.air con pump replaced,but is still running and never broke down on roadside,all parts and labour covered by warranty.
IT GETS NO WHERE NEAR MANUFACTURES CLAIMED FUEL FIGURE
Problems
Other
Derek from Chessington
Comfort automatic, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Automatic
Bought car
I am very pleased with the car it has proved very reliable and economical to run. Comfortable to drive even on long motorway trips. The level of equipment is exceptional at the low price of the car and hyundai has impressed me with the build quality of the car
Andrew from Gravesend, Kent
Style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, , Manual
Bought car
Excellent car. Practical, great level of equipment inside, comfortable, looks good, reliable, performs well and amazing warranty! Great list of available options too! Very pleasing to own and drive!
Running costs:
Problems
Other
Adrian from Wirral
1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Manual
50.00
Bought car
So far it's been great, fingers crossed it stays like that. 11,000 miles in 5 months is good going for the poor car.
Running costs:
Fuel consumption is fine for a petrol, on good weeks I'm getting 53mpg.
Kevin from N Ireland
SE, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
With a 5 year warranty there is piece of mind. Wish i had gone for five door model.Having Drive a diesel car for the best part of 20 years petrol takes a bit of getting used to.
Martin from Carshalton
classic, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual
Bought car
Enjoyable drive,performance very lively from small engine,copes well with uneven road surfaces, easy to get good driving position,think it a smart looking car

Pages