Alpina B3 Convertible
- Great performance with decent running costs
- Exclusivity of Alpina badge
- Can be serviced at BMW dealerships
- Auto gearbox only
- Subtle makeover is at odds with convertible body
- Road noise from larger wheels and tyres
The Alpina B3 S Biturbo Convertible adds a folding metal hard-top to the B3's already long list of talents. It uses the BMW 335i Convertible as its base, but Alpina strips the car down to rebuild it with a subtle bodykit, luxury interior, new wheels and tyres, a more powerful twin-turbo engine and updated suspension. The end result is a four-seat convertible that's nearly as fast as a BMW M3 Convertible, but is cheaper to buy and has lower running costs. However, the B3 S is only offered with a six-speed automatic gearbox, and Alpina's philosophy of subtle performance seems to be at odds with the inherent 'look at me' nature of owning a convertible.