Alpina D3 estate
- Excellent performance and economy
- Understated styling updates
- Can be serviced at any BMW dealer
- Having to explain what an Alpina is
- Road noise from big wheels
- Six-month waiting list
The Alpina D3 Touring estate uses the same formula as the D3 saloon and adds more practicality to the mix. It uses the same 2.0-litre twin turbo diesel taken from the BMW 123d hatchback, so it has the same blend of punchy performance mixed with excellent fuel economy. The same retuned suspension, Alpina-branded alloy wheels and subtle bodywork updates are present, too, although the boxy estate car body means you're even less likely to be noticed as you streak away from the traffic lights.