BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe hatchback owner reviews

"The BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe keeps the style and desirability of the standard coupe but with added practicality"

• Brakes (1 cases)

430D

I've had this car from new and love its effortless power and great economy. I've always loved BMW's straight 6 engines (my all-time favourite car was the 330i coupe from 15 years ago!). As other reviews have said, the car is extremely practical and those sitting up front have a relaxed ride. I have the M Sport plus so although my brakes are excellent (compared to those mentioned in other reviews), the 19 inch wheels are not suited in UK to anything other than motorway driving. I agree with others that the interior rattles are frustrating as is the petty cost cutting. I previously had exactly the same car. That came with retractable door mirrors that dimmed on both driver and passenger side. Now only the driver's mirror dims (that save about 2 euros I would expect). The last car came with headlamp washers the washed reliably every 7-8 washes, the new one is random (in fact I have never seen the headlamps wash - this is not a fault). The rain sensing wipers either run on intermittent or double speed. I suspect a change to a cheaper supplier. In summary, it's a great all rounder spoiled by some cost cutting affecting interior build quality. I'm guessing BMW makes all its profit on the 3 and 4 series.

SO far, great reliability.

you won't be wanting for power.

Great economy from a big engine!

430i M Sport - RWD, Manual

A good everyday car if coupled with split folding rear seats (optional extra). Averages 35mpg when using sport mode nearly 80% of the time. I have used on & off track. Although it is a Faster than many cars, there are a few pitfalls on performance; (1) ECU limits torque lower down, so power is progressive. In manual transmission this causes a little bit of a "flat spot" of acceleration on up-shifting at red line (drops from 250hp down to 180~ for about 1.5k revs). (2) Electronic steering lacks the road-feel/response of normal power steering. However, it is easier to drive & park. (3) Combining the lack of steering feel & the slightly soft sport suspension, the car can sometimes be unpredictable when nearing the limits. (4) Standard brakes do not match up with other cars of similar power & experience brake-fade quickly. I would recommend this car to someone who likes a quick car on straights & over-taking, but would state the car is not for car enthusiasts.

440i

Sweet 6 cylinder petrol is worth sacrificing the better economy of the 435 diesel for. I had a 335d xDrive touring before this Gran Coupe, which was a little more practical but not half as good looking. If the handling and steering was a little more positive this would be, for me, the perfect car.

420d M Sport

Having enjoyed several BMW's and Mercs over the years this is by far the the most advanced. Great looking car with practicality with the rear hatch door. Trim is all excellent other than annoying rattles from some cheap plastic components like air vents, the rattles are vastly affected by how cold the car is. However other rattles from the rear, not sure where are damn annoying, I have found a solution in the form of the volume button. I would give it a 5* but for the rattles. MPG is far lower that stated but all cars are like that as I drive in a laboratory! Avoid 19" wheels on UK B roads, due to v firm suspension. Front of car seems to suffer with stone chips, may be due to shape or our poor road maintenance. I did have to have some interior trim replaced but this was covered under warranty.

Reliable but, you'd expect that from BMW
A freind has had his car 'chipped' and having driven it, its a worthy upgrade and far cheaper than buying the 430d and better economy?? note how it does it and why BMW don't do the same.

Running costs to date have been servicing, nothing more.

M sport

Generally, this is a brilliant car that puts a smile on my face when I look at it and when I'm driving it. The gran coupe is the closest thing I could find to a versatile do-it-all car, a spiritual successor to the glorious Saab 900 hatchbacks - only dramatically better. From lugging large loads to comfortable long distance cruising. The 420i is adequately powerful and responsive, as long as you avoid the "eco" transmission setting, which is painfully slow to respond. My biggest gripe is about the dashboard ergonomics. The bottom part of the dash is not visible unless you lean over the steering wheel a bit, even though I'm tall and I prefer a raised sitting position. The start-stop button's state indicator is obscured by the steering wheel. The ride on the 19" rims is a bit harsh, I'm considering losing the run flats for normal tyres. I chose it over the Audi A5, which felt a bit more cramped and gloomy inside.

435 D Xdrive

Outstanding car, thought my previous 335d XDrive Touring was the best car I'd owned, until the 435d XDrive Gran Coupe arrived. Adaptive suspension, HUD and Surround View make a positive difference and worth the extra cost. I don't know how BMW manage to make a car so comfortable, practical, fast and frugal - very glad they did and a great all around package .

435d xDrive

Deeply satisfying in nearly all respects. Strengths: engine is outrageous. Very very strong, powerful, refined and dual character with huge urge at low revs but happy (with a cultured six cylinder sporty sound) to rev out. Typical capacity to flash past traffic without seeming to break a sweat. Grip is very good. Unstoppable and confidence inspiring in snow and ice with winter tyres. Dynamics: again dual character. Cosseting when required, a b-road weapon when pressing on - frankly it's almost too fast for the road. Roads that I would really have to work at in other cars are just demolished, having to back off in straights to keep the speed vaguely legal. Not a sports car though, feels like a light, powerful and very refined GT. It does have character, but it's one of a ruthlessly obsessional Austrian aristocrat, so sometimes a little passionless. Adaptive suspension sharpens ride and adds weight to steering. Wonderful balance between control and firmness is spot on. Sat nav is best available, large bright screen. Harmon kardon is out of this world, with sharp clear treble, rich mid tones and thumping bass (if you want it). Best value stereo upgrade, and should definitely be ordered. Anonymity: de badge it and it could be a 420. I love the q-car aspect to it. If you want a car that shouts wealth, this isn't it. It blends in on the outside (although is pretty) but makes you feel privileged on the inside. Well it does for me anyway. Good: Interior. I chose Ivory, although either Ivory or Golden Tan is what is needed to make the cabin feel a little special. Otherwise seems perhaps a bit ordinary, especially with black leather. Light colour leather is tough and easy to keep clean even with kids. No (zero) rattles. Sport seat is very comfortable (I have a wrecked back from Rugby and this is one of the few cars I can sit in for any length of time). Estoril blue finisher is like anodised metal, lovely feature, and echoes the bonnet line from the interior. Driving position spot on. Many clever touches. Very versatile with the hatchback. Seats my family of 5 (smallish 10 year old comfortable in the middle seat) and big boot space, or fold down the seats (optional 40:20:40 folding a waste of money, standard 60:40 is fine) Weaknesses: steering. It is still wonderful by many standards, but if you had to choose a weakness it would be this. You just want a little more feel. The car is fundamentally rear wheel balanced, so drive it like a rear wheel drive. But the final 1-2% of precision finding a corner isn't quite there, reinforcing the GT rather than sports car feel. Still, it is great fun to drive. Sport mode adds more weight which helps a little, although then is too heavy manoeuvring. Suspension uprights are aluminium; not as strong as steel. Don't clip curbs!! Price: not really a weakness. If you price up a spec against a 3-series spec for spec it's only a few hundred pounds more expensive. However, you might not have chosen to pay for all that equipment! If you are on a budget therefore a 3 looks better value. But even with the same spec there is something about the 4 that definitely makes it feel more exclusive.

No faults. Totally reliable.

I had a Jag XK/R - this feels at least as fast on the road. It's that quick.

Fuel consumption exceptional.

420i Lux xDrive Auto

Best car I have ever owed. Very comfortable, excellent suspension, superb gearbox and great tech package. I love it. Very pleased I don't have M Sport version which I test drove and found a very firm ride.

Fantastic fuel economy - much better than my previous Audis. The engine is a little more noisy at idle but great when driving. Excellent steering feel and handling. Suspension firm but would say not as firm as an Audi. Great overall car.

420i M Sport Auto

My previous car was a 3 Series, and when it came to look for a replacement, I preferred the styling of the 4 Gran Coupe. I tried the obvious rivals from Jaguar and Audi but they didn't really do it for me, but I made the right choice. Compared to a 3 Series with the options I wanted, the cost ended up about the same. Add to that, the 2017 facelift introduced many subtle detail improvements to the interior, infotainment and iDrive system (still the best around in my opinion), suspension settings and steering and it feels like it's been elevated to a class above the equivalent 3 series in many ways. The M Sport suspension is firmer than on my older 3 Series, so I stuck with 18 inch rims and have no complaints. I went for the new 'Cognac' leather interior which really brightens up and adds a more special feel and appearance to what can be a relatively dark interior otherwise. Lots of people have commented on how the great the Cognac looks. Although mine is the 420i petrol engine, I thoroughly enjoy driving it and it's a good blend of performance and relatively low running costs. It handles very well on all surfaces. I have the digital dashboard option which I can definitely recommend. The combination of using the Dynamic Sport mode in the transmission,, which brings up the digital Sport dials and the paddle shift to change gear and tightens up the steering and gives more feel, changes the character of the car and gives you the urge and confidence to really press on where road conditions and traffic allow. Ultimately, though the 4 Gran Coupe has a less sporty feel to that of the 3 Series I had previously. It's a much more comfortable long distance mile-cruncher, though. I've done a lot of long trips in Europe in both and I definitely feel less tired after a long journey in the 4 Gran Coupe. If I have one criticism, it is that after it's been raining and the car hasn't gone anywhere since, if you open the hatch, water that has collected at the bottom corners of the rear screen runs off the sides of the tailgate when it rises and usually drips into the boot area. Other than, that I can't fault it.

I average 36mpg on A and B roads etc but often get 47-50mpg on long motorway/autoroute journeys.

Recommended