Citroën Berlingo Multispace MPV owner reviews

"The Citroen Berlingo Multispace won’t win any design or performance awards, but it’s a hugely practical and very affordable MPV"

• Suspension, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (2 cases)

1.6HDI

46.8
Bought new, but pre-registered. I too have the "pulls to the left" steering problem. I didn't think anything of it at first, but recently realised that I was constantly having to slightly pull the car to the right to keep it straight. If you relax that grip on the steering wheel for a bit, then you do definitely notice the car pulling to the left. Suspension seems to roll a lot and not as firm as the old model. Much less storage space in side and visibility seems worse than the older multispace models. Seems to be more room for front seat driver and passenger and the ability to be able to remove rear seats is a definite advantage over the older models. Dashboard layout is so much improved and the ventilation seems better. The air con is a definite advantage in hot weather. The new 1.6HDI diesel is less powerful and seems to be not as economical as the old 2L Multispace, although I must admit that I have not yet used it for really long motorway journeys . The in built fuel mileage indicator says 46.8mpg over about 1600 miles; not been reset from the day I took delivery of the car. I had an old Berlingo previously (about 11 years old) and that was OK (apart from the need to replace the suspension bits and pieces several times and the problems with the coms2000 unit failing the horn system).

xtr 1.6 hdi

Problems with the steering and wheel alignment from day one, complained to the dealership within 1 hour of receipt of vehicle. The dealers mechanical technician took it for a test drive, looked at the steering and said that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that i should drive the vehicle for a while, get used to it and if not happy mention this at the time of its scheduled first service. I told him that i did not agree with his diagnosis but as he had said that the vehicle was safe to drive and in his opinion was not faulty, i agreed to differ but, do as he suggested and drive the vehicle for a while to "get used to a new vehicle". I complained to the same dealer again a Month later stating that in my opinion that the vehicle had a steering fault, the vehicle was left with the dealer. Again I was told that there was no fault. On complaining again for the third time I was told that there was a definate steering fault and that the vehicle was definitely pulling to the left as I had described, the technician appologised and told me he had re-aligned the steering wheel and tracking and the problem was now fixed. On driving the vehicle the next day it was evident that the same problem as previously described was still evident. I again complained of the fault and was told to bring the vehicle back at my convenience to be looked at and it was suggested that a technician accompany me to" assess my driving", i found this suggestion very patronising. I decided it was time to obtain a second unbiased opinion so booked the vehicle in at an automotive steering and suspension specialist that use state of the art equipment and original manufacturers data and settings. On completion of the testing it was stated that the vehicle had indeed several steering and alignment geometry faults, in there opinion manufacturers assembly faults. I was given printed copy of the test data to support my claim that the vehicle had steering faults as reported to the dealer. After presenting the new data to the dealer they suggested that i return the vehicle to them when they have obtained the relevant specialist equipment required to check the reported faults themselves. I am now, to date awaiting a phone call from the dealer to arrange a suitable time to allow them to conduct there checks. Sorry if the above is a bit of a tome but I have tried to be informative. The questions are many, told conflicting information, why now the need for specialist equipment and not sooner, why do the dealership/ franchise not possess the required equiptment to carry out these checks. Apparently the rear assembly on these vehicles is bolted together and to some degree adjustable. After reading other site blogs and reviews it would appear that rear tyre wear is an issue and that action against the manufacturer has proved unproductive but action against dealerships/ franchises under the sale of goods act has in some cases proved more affective, with at least one person stating that out of court settlements seem to be the norm in these cases. I hope my experience to date may prove to be of use to other would be Citroen buyers. I'll keep you informed of future related events.

2008

First, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

A very practical and reliable car. I have enjoyed driving it much more than i expected to.

VTR, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

Perfect choice, multifunctional, practical, economical for size.

VTR, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

Probably the most economical and best car i have ever had.

Multispace, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

Practical, efficient, reliable, does everything it says on the tin.

1.6 BlueHDi 120

As stated by other reviewers, the rear end is a bit fidgety when loaded lightly, hopping over bumps and leaning a lot in corners. This improves dramatically when carrying some weight (it is van-based after all). I haven't noticed any unusual steering pulling and is very light at low speeds, it does become heavier with speed though and at the same time managing to feel very rubbery. The practicality is the best feature, I don't think I've found all the nooks and crannies yet and it's really pretty good to drive. My biggest complaint so far is the new tablet infotainment system in the dashboard which gives all relevant data to the driver - what a load of rubbish for a 2015 car. Citroen hang your head in shame, it's impossible to actually turn the media section off!! The only thing you can do is mute it by pressing the +/- volume controls simultaneously, why not an 'off' switch? It seems that if there was one it would turn everything off at the same time, like trip computer etc. Must and can do better.

2 years of trouble-free motoring attest to its reliability

50 mpg achievable if you drive very carefully. 45-50mpg more realistic around town and with a load.

1.5-2 litre, Petrol, Manual

nothing has gone wrong

have the car serviced in france -costs half uk

2011

Never had any problems with it to date

never bought any spare parts but runs well

XLS, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

2008

Headlight kept blowing, eletric components replaced. Fan speed dial failed and was replaced

2009

Does what it says on the tin plus a bit more! A quirky car with character a real hidden gem!

Blue HDi 100 Feel

An excellent car for its price. Practical, economical and reasonably comfortable on long trips with good fuel economy.

No problems at all.

For what it is,I can't fault it.Overtaking is no problem.

Cheap as chips

1.6 hdi

Like the previous reviewer, the Citroen Berlingo I bought have the steering going to the left. Citroen dealership kept defending claiming there was nothing wrong with it from the moment I drove it out of the forecourt. They even checked it twice on 2 occasions within the first 2 weeks I bought it. I eventually had to get an independent check which turned out to confirm my view all along. I was asked by Citroen UK to bring it to another Citroen approved dealer to have it checked. They too were dismissive of the problem and told me to pay £110 to have their specialist equipment checked. This is absolutely contrary to the instruction that I was specially asked by Citroen UK to get a second opinion in the first place. Now Citroen UK claimed too they were on the side of the second dealer asking me to pay for the check. What is going on? They cannot get through their head to know that they have sold a faulty vehicle not in accordance to the Sale of Goods Act. All this time I wrote to the CEO of Citroen who claimed to take a special interest on my case but I would not leave things un-turned without going back to her to pursue this matter further. It is absolutely ridiculous why matters have been dragged so far. By the way there is a catalogue of things not right with the vehicle but I am too frustrated to even mention them.

38.9

NO PROBLEMS NO RECALLS NO HASSLE

I DO MAINLY SHORT JOURNEYS SO MPG IS GOOD SERVICING IS QUITE CHEAP

2011

Seems to cope with all types of track and road, little bumpy at times. Okay in snow and slippy conditions. No breakdowns.

If driven (as with all cars) with care, get adequate mileage per gallon.

2009

Only problem was a puncture due to crap roads!

So far only paid out for new tyre, Ł80. About Ł65 to fill tank with diesel, usually lasts a month as car used mainly for local driving, we live in small village 2 miles from nearest town.

XTR, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

Luv it!!

Multipsace XTR, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

A hugely practical family vehicle with acres of space, practical design touches and which is extremely economical to run.

1.6 diesel

As others have mentioned, mine pulls to the left, so it seems this is a common fault, I dont like the auto/manual gear box, in auto mode it is slow on the uptake pulling away, manual mode flappy paddles is not much better. This makes pulling out in traffic a bit nerve wracking ,Gear change is jerky, but there is loads of space in the car and being able to remove rear seats effectivley turning it into a van is a plus, it is a bit skitty cornering on bumpy roads, I have had electric window problems, this is my first Berlingo (Bought used with 4000 miles) , I have now driven it for 10000 miles and still don't love it, I think it will be my last.

1.6

Same problem as other users from day one. The van pulls to the left all the time. I have a pain in my arm keeping it on the road, it's very dangerous. Van was back with Citroen and they admitted there was a problem. They adjusted the camber as they said and gave it back to me, but they admitted there was still a slight issue with pulling to the left. The van was the same! I haven't had a chance to go back yet but after seeing everyone else's problems here I will be getting back onto them. There must be a manufacture problem with the vans.

xtr

My fourth Berlingo in 12 years. So far I am not convinced that it has improved from the old model. I think it handles worse, the rear suspension is noisier and doesn't feel like independent suspension, giving disconcerting back end wobbles when hitting pot holes on a slight bend. Fuel economy is down too even though both engines were the 1.6 hdi. I regularly achieved 52 overall on the old model. This new car gives 49mpg. Storage is not as extensive either. Door pockets store one bottle of wine not four bottles like the previous model, and the Modutop versions are rare indeed. Seats I find lack lateral support and aren't as comfy as the old model. Overall I do think it has improved safety features but has lost out in comfort and storage. I also think it could do with a six speed box.

2-3 litre, Diesel, Manual

its never broken down

does not cost much in running costs

NEVER A PROBLEM,NOT EVEN A RECALL

DIRT CHEAP TO RUN

vtr, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

For disabled passengers, brilliant

TDi, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2009

We love it !! So spacious !

2009

Best berlingo by far & we have had all 3 versions. This vehicle is in a different class to the others. Only niggle really is the rate it goes through rear tyres whcih wear faster thab the fronts ????. I know a number of other owners have reported similar findings on the xtr model - probably the 215 tyres are a too wide

Automatic

I love the high seat - no low seat to climb out of. Yes it is not flash but it is in fact very comfortable. It carries a lot from fridges to grandchildren and their gear to four of us and our golf/skiing gear on holiday. Painlessly

Excellent - i owned the previous model for 72000 miles

I drive in traffic or motorway. I have no need to accellerate to overtake The paddle gear change (yes it is a smooth automatic in normal use) is very easy and an effective override. Cruise control and speed limiter save fines. 99% nox free diesel low co2

Excellent - i owned the previous model for 72000 miles

2012

Same as the review below, thought I was the only one and it's drove me mad, complained (lost count) about the steering, writing this as we speak the vehicle is at the Citroen dealership having another look. You can't really do long distance driving as the steering pulls way to much and sometimes almost lose control, I can't wait to hand the vehicle back once the 3 years is finished and would not recommend to anyone. Also iv had issues with: Washers jets not working Electric window faults Radio faults Any most likely many more hidden faults waiting, not good for brand new. Hope it helps

1.5-2 litre, Diesel, Automatic

2012

It starts first time every time. Diesel is usually from Asda at 1.397 and I have tried it on Motorways for a two hundred mile journey and received 52.8 mpg all round combined with country roads between fill-ups.

Being on Motability Lease it includes for just over Ł200 per month, services, tires and insurance. Since March I have checked the oil and have not had to top-up. I have done 5000 miles since then at a rough cost of Ł76 per month in diesel. I am not happy with the cost of fuel!!!

48.9
no faults in 3 years now going back

2010

64,000 miles on the clock, still no signs of ware. Solid runner.

, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

vti, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

Good points- very practical, huge boot& lots of room in the passenger area, soft and high driving position good economical engine, good visibility. Bad points- very low on equipments, no air con, no esp, minumum number of airbags, does not feel solidly built, poor quality plastics, bumpy rid on less than perfect roads even small potholes are felt. the brakes are not progressive