Citroën C4 Picasso owner reviews

"The Citroen C4 SpaceTourer is cheap, spacious and good looking – everything you’d want in a family car.”

• Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (4 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)

BlueHDi 150 auto

We really wanted to love our 2 year old C4 Grand Picasso. It is a lovely car to drive and very spacious for our family. However, it is not safe! in the course of one year I have been left on the side of the motorway 5 times with my children waiting for the RAC. No-one can work out what's wrong with it and every time we think it's fixed it goes and breaks down again. This last time was on holiday in France, causing us to miss our Ferry home! It's not a safe car for a family and my husband has lost so many work days due to problems with it that it has cost us a fortune. The only question now is how to get rid of it without passing the problem on to another poor unsuspecting family! Any ideas Citroen?!

1.6 diesel 6speed manual 5dr

Great looking car loads of standard features great fuel economy will even take my electric wheelchair in the boot which was nice to get away from a 7 seater and have a normal car but has a major computer issue on the whole C4 range which was denied until Motability got involved Citroen in France are busy trying to rewrite a new computer programme and can't give a time span hasten to add my car is going back hopefully in the next 4 a shame as I really like the car and is stunning to look at.

1.6 blue hdi 100

This is the entry level model but still has quite a high specification, there's cruise control, alloys, a/c, an electric handbrake, Bluetooth, auto headlights and wipers. It's very comfortable but not the fastest when pulling away. It would make an excellent family car, there's loads of room and a large boot. Downside it has a gearbox that feels lumpy in operation.

Only owned for a month but everything going great

Sluggish on low revs but goes fine once you get going

52 mpg still running in so it should rise even more only had to buy fuel been informed adblue should go till service is due

From day one front windows squeaky, (channels needed replacing,screen got ghost lines ( new screen fitted) and finally belt frayed and came off runners ( in repairs at present. The first two took months to be replaced! My second Citëron 7 seater. First one I had for 5years I had no problems. The one I have now has only covered 15,031 and I'm having all these problems so I'm not happy!

Not impressed. Car judders frequently
Satisfactory

Exclusive Plus

A house move saw our A6 Avant go and replaced with the C4, initial impressions good, Germanic lines and styling. This is the top of the range model but no heated seats which we miss. Massage seats gimmicky but passanger foot rest that comes out nice touch. Good bits, sunroof, fuel consumption, boot space, folding seats, rear tints and blinds for kids, handling, visibility, styling, upper dash board quality. Distance control cruise control, great feature. Poor bits, low level plastics around gear level, look at it and it scratches! Inability to apply child locks from dash without the need to use key in rear doors, pain, need to get in and out the car to open rear doors. Heating controls, radio controls, can believe someone thought this was a good idea, I would put money on a redesign by Citroen at next facelift, the system is just too fiddly. Issues, faulty fuel flap and digital dash that needs replaced due to pixels failing. Overall, good family car let down by niggles.

1.6 HDi 115 Airdream

Having previously had a Xsara Picasso, this is a complete change of car for me - in a good way I have to say until now, when I feel I have to put a comment about a problem encountered @ just 17,000 miles. Firstly let me say the car is a dream to drive and covering long trips down south is no problem - it's quiet, smooth, comfortable, roomy and economical. The knock to the confidence came while driving home and stopped at traffic lights. I applied the electric handbrake and at this point one of the parking brake motors failed in the brake 'on' position. As well as being stranded in the middle of a main road with a locked on handbrake I now discover there is NO manual override to release the brakes and so it is totally immobilised and had to be uplifted rear wheels up and towed! Technicians tell me the only way to release brakes is to remove motors then manually release calipers. Icing on the cake is that the motors are on back order - maybe a message there.

Two years on, car has been great all round, but this problem with brake motor failing in on position without warning makes me uneasy that this could happen at any time with no way that the driver could at least manually release the handbrake - a very serious oversight I feel.

Very happy with all round performance, not a sports car but equally no slouch especially if pushed. Being mindful of who would be buying this type of car, performance should not be a problem.

I am using a service plan, so far OK, mpg has been good all round, too early mileage-wise to say what other costs may occur.

1.6HDi Exclusive +

I collected our 2015 C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive Plus on Monday 9th Feb 2015 from one of the largest multi-make dealers in N. Ireland, Charles Hurst, who have everything from Kia to Ferrari, Bentley, Aston Martin and lots more of the normal persons cars. On Tuesday 10th the 'engine management' light came on then on Wednesday 11th the digital dashboard, where the speedo, fuel, temp, sat nav and reversing camera are displayed, stopped working! Bring back our Seat Alhambra!

1.6 E-HDI Airdream Exclusive

This car was bought from a Citroen main dealer as a four-month-old used demonstrator with 2,000 miles on the clock. I was able to add Citroen backup to the level of the Hyundai five-year deal. The main pros of the car are its stylish looks (it turns heads), and pleasing fuel economy. The 1.6 diesel engine should be reliable as it is used in many other makes of cars. The 58mpg average is based on a 64-mile daily run of 16 miles in London and 8 miles of country roads against the rush hour, plus 40 motorway miles - not driven in boy-racer style. Handling is good and the turning circle is very good. Space in the rear with seats up or down is good, and the screen navigation features are impressive. The cons are the same screen navigation which can make you take your eyes off the road. Riding high in this car, which is why people would buy it, is annoyingly obstructed by the sliding sun visor which will rub against your head. Forget the seat massage function – not worth the extra money. The real gripe with this car is the uncomfortable driver’s seat, no better than a small town car (my old first edition Renault Scenic was far more comfortable), with hard plastics that bite into your thighs, and the dreadful clunky/notchy manual gearbox and gear shift – unforgiveable in a car of this supposed quality. This car will depreciate by thousands after the first year, and then flatten out, so it’s probably better to buy a year-old car with some of the warranty left over. In the last six months I’ve had the car there have been no electrics problems (a Citroen issue), but as I was buying the car, another buyer of the same model (900 miles on the clock), was bringing his back as the all the electronic gubbins had gone down. I have mixed feelings about the car.

Exclusive + ETG

A very comfortable car with a quality feel. I particularly like the ETG gearbox which contrary to some reviews I find it as smooth as a traditional automatic. If you like traffic light grand prix starts and foot to the floor driving, this is not the right type of car for you. Very light to drive in town traffic and excellent visibility, with easy-to-read digital instruments with many functions, which I must add until you are familiar with the one's you need, it is better to select them prior to moving off. The seats are very supportive and there is a spacious boot, ample storage compartments and plenty of useful extras on this particular model. It's certainly a car I feel safe in and driven sensibly is a pleasure to drive.

No comments on reliability as under 5,000 miles yet, but have had Citroen cars on and off for over 30 years and never had any problems.

A very comfortable and smooth car to drive. If you want hot hatch or boy racer experience, go for something that will waste your fuel whilst you try to burn your brakes out.

Averaging 53mpg at the moment but I expect it to get better as the engine beds in.

exclusive plus

great if it had been supplied with a owners hand book

1.6 diesel

I have a Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 which comes as a lease package through work. I chose this car because of the interior space, drivers head height (I am 6'6"), and economy, all of which are as predicted and satisfactory. What is a disappointment is the general level of finish and quality on the car, which has the feel of a cheap car. My previous car was a Vauxhall Insignia, which although relatively reasonably priced, was finished to a high standard and felt generally solid. In the Citroen everything feels... well just cheap. The electric windows vibrate when partially down and driving. The upholstery is unlikely to survive the predicted 100k plus that I will do before the car is returned. The carpets are worse than my dog's bed. I could go on but you get the idea. I will not deny the car has a certain style, and is certainly family friendly, I just can't help but feel disappointed. To make matters worse it has developed an issue with the rear suspension which makes it creak at all speeds like an old bed. It was taken to my local dealer who informed me it was a factory fault and they would order the parts. Three weeks later I am still waiting. I realise lack of interest or support is the fault of the dealer and not Citroen but it just adds to my level of dissatisfaction. I suspect when my lease is due for renewal I will not be getting another Citroen.

Exclusive plus 1.6 deisel

Just taken delivery. Fantastic design, comfort and refinement. The DGT semi auto takes a while to get used to but it is smooth and with the flappy paddles allows you to change down for overtaking. MPG at the moment (first week) is 60 so early days. The engine is very quiet and you would never know it was a diesel as there is none of the usual clickety clack you get with most diesel engines. The touchscreen, once mastered, is easy to use. My wife says this is the safest she has ever felt in a car and it is a relaxing drive. Hill start assist works well. It is a very spacious car and the seats are very comfortable and supporting with a nifty massage feature that is not intrusive at all. The best feature is the panoramic windscreen and thin A pillars that give a terrific view all round and add to the feeling of safety as you can see everything ahead and to the side. The steering is very light and the suspension absorbs all bumps with ease. If it proves itself reliable I would say this is the best car I have ever driven. It's not a speedster but was never meant to be and long drives will prove to be a relaxing and pleasurable experience. We are very impressed so far.