Mercedes GLS SUV (2013-2019): owner reviews

“The massive Mercedes GLS is a spacious and comfortable SUV, but it’s pretty expensive to buy and feels dated next to newer rivals”

GL63 AMG

A chance to be different, I bought this because it's big bad and fast - oh and I can get the kids and grandma and granddad and a guitar in too. The main difference with the AMG Mercs is the pick up when you boot it, the fast diesel cars just don't pick up and over taking becomes a risk. Even with the big GL the kick in the back is awesome and the soundtrack superb, especially as it changes up gears, the pop is intoxicating! With the AMG model comes the Active Curve system which keeps the car flat in the corners, so no body roll, the cornering ability of the car needs to be tried to be believed, the 295 tyres help too!!! Everyone drives Land Rovers and they just breakdown, the big Merc just puts a smile on you face every time you look at it, let alone drive the beast. I've got a fiat Panda for when I drive to the supermarket, problem solved!

Stunning

Running costs are what you expect from a thirsty car that only drinks super unleaded

GL350 Bluetec

Absolutely love this car. After having several Range Rover Vogues and never thinking that i could have anything thing else, the GL has completely opened my eyes. With the latest Range Rover taking another price hike, my wife and I looked at our other options. X5, Q7, Disco, Sport, all of which are ten a penny and in my opinion rather plain, with exception to the new Sport. The thing I liked most about the GL is I have still only see one other driving around. Even with adding a host of extras, park assist, rear seat entertainment to name a few, it was still a good bit cheaper than the RR. Its massive inside (and out) but handles like a well and doesn't have that boat feeling that comes with other 4x4s. Plush inside and finished very well it's classy and gets heads turning. I could recommend this car highly enough and really don't understand the poor reviews. Was it not the number 1 selling SUV in the US last year? Yes it's big (only few cm's longer than the RR Vogue) but park assist does all the parking for you and the surround cameras help you to no ends when parking yourself! If you want a big SUV with a classy finish and don't fancy dropping £90k on a RR Vogue this is the car for you. I suppose i have to put a negative to be completely honest and the only one I have is the rear parking audible warning is pretty quiet.

GL63

This is an absolutely fantastic car. I have had Range Rovers all my life but now that I had seen the other options I thought I should give them a try. I looked at the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne and Mercedes G-wagon. The only one that stood out was the GL and not just for its size. It handles like a much smaller car and has very good performance. The interior quality is superb and is especially handy as it has 7 seats which the Range Rover does not. I would recommend this car to anyone looking for an upmarket SUV that doesn't mind to splash the cash.

Having suffered an unreliable Discovery for five years I wanted a comparable vehicle with seven adult seats and a big boot for the family, with minimal off-road usage and some reliability! The research lead me to the GL 350 and what a car! As quiet as an S class with a huge boot and such a joy to drive. Expensive but comparable to competition with a high guaranteed residual value and a great pcp deal that is hundreds of pounds less per month than the similar Discovery spec if you are not buying outright. It is no wonder it's rated higher in USA than the Discovery - well done Mercedes.

Recommended