SEAT Leon SC hatchback owner reviews

“The SEAT Leon SC has two fewer doors than the hatchback, but offers plenty of practicality and decent engines”

• Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)

1.4 TSi

I have driven many cars since passing my test in 1968, including owned and company cars. My last three have been from the VW stable, including the latest model VW Jetta 1.6 Tdi and its predecessor, the 1.9 Tdi (which I consider to be better than the current version). I decided to change the last Jetta in September 2015 and having checked reviews on the Leon, found a very good deal. As soon as I saw it in the flesh, the Emocion Red grabbed my attention and really suited the styling of the three door hatchback. Sitting in the car I saw a well trimmed and finished cabin and being the SE Tech Pack, lots of additional equipment. The long test drive confirmed my initial feelings and I was soon signing on the dotted line and handing over my money. The performance, road holding and general feel when driving the car are excellent, given it's only a 1.4L petrol engine, albeit, turbocharged. A set of decent alloy wheels also adds to the good looks of this model. In the 18 months since purchasing, I have not changed my opinion that this is a very good car and I enjoy driving it every day. As with every car, fuel consumption is nothing like the official figures; on long journeys, the trip computer will show 60 mpg, but for everyday driving, 45 mpg is more realistic. I have seen some adverse comments regarding visibility, but on my model, all round visibility is superb, with a large rear screen aiding reversing. In my opinion, it is also a more attractive looking car than similar models which I also looked at, including the Golf, Focus, C'eed, Astra, Clio, Peugeot and others in this segment and my opinion is shared by friends and family. If there is one criticism, it relates to the fact there is no spare wheel, only a can of tyre repair/inflating solution. How car manufacturers are allowed to get away with this is beyond belief, so I visited a local SEAT dealer and bought a skinny wheel. I see that there has been a slight face-lift to the Leon but the changes don't appear too radical. Would I buy another Leon? Yes I would and I would be happy to stick with the 1.4 litre TSi.

So far, during my 18 months of ownership, no problems at all.

Great performance for the engine size. I have owned cars with larger engines which did not perform as well as the 1.4L in this vehicle.

Servicing and running costs have been fine.

FR 1.8Tsi DSG

I bought this car 3 months ago from Drivethedeal.com and, apart from minor irritations, am delighted with my purchase. The DSG works brilliantly (apart from slight transmission whine at low revs), the handling and roadholding are excellent and it's fully equipped with all the latest tech. (including excellent satnav). I find road noise to be rather intrusive at speed on coarse motorway surfaces, but it's not enough of a problem to detract from my 5 star rating. Looks very smart in (optional) Montsant Red with panoramic sunroof too.

So far, so good.

Excellent punchy 1.8 turbo works very well with DSG.
MPG is not great. I get 38-40 mpg. but is as expected.

1.4 TSI FR

Had this car for nearly 1 year. Great all round car. Economical but packs a punch in Sport mode. Few niggles with the tyre pressure monitoring system and rattles within both doors. However this is easily forgotten as the car never ceases to put a smile on my face. Highly recommended.
Great in Sport mode.

Great for a petrol, easily manages 50MPG.

1.2 se

Had my 1.2 Leon for a few weeks. Early days I know but what a great car! Build is first rate, drives nice even on my busy commute. Bought as a 2 month old with zero miles. Lot's of VW/Audi parts in the car it seems so the car solid and well made. It's cheap to run with only £30 tax and low fuel costs. Space in the back is a little smaller than the 5 door so if you have a family then I suggest going for that one. However, the 3 door looks really cool and suits me! Try one , you won't be disappointed!

1.2 SE

Really nice car to drive. Tech pack with the car which looks the part and sat-nav works well. Was a bit worried about the performance with it only being a 1.2 petrol. However the 110bhp is enough for every day driving and the fuel economy is excellent. Engine really quiet and turbo gives a nice kick when it's needed. Fit and finish is an improvement over previous model with soft touch dash, nice feel to all controls as well as driver focused layout. Safety an improvement with 5 star NCAP rating and airbags galore! It's cheaper than its plain boring Golf cousin and more exclusive than a Focus. I'm really happy with my choice and would definitely recommend.

1.6 diesel 5door

Bought this car less than two months ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. I live in a built up area and do little motorway mileage yet the windscreen is peppered with stone chips, have never experienced anything like it, this is the same on the bonnet too. 9 or 10 chips have gone straight through to the metal work and that is only after doing 2000 miles.after raising the issues with seat was fobbed off and had the blame shifted onto me. When questioning the metal work asking if it would rust got a response of 'yeah mate,you might wanna get that sorted' Also have issues with the front suspension, crackling speakers, start/stop function that barely works, tyre monitoring system that doesn't work, reverse gear that pops out and grinds and 5 gear that you can hear whilst driving. Folding wing mirrors that at first didn't fold in and now don't seem to want to fold back open and an led light pack with halogen fogs? Most of these optional extras and I can't believe how bad they are. Was attracted to the car because of its looks, impressive mpg and after finding out it was manufactured using VW technology but for approx 15% cheaper I thought I was onto a winner but this isn't the case at all. Not only am I completely let down by the car itself but the service I've got from seat has been disgusting. Rude dealership staff and a slow unhelpful customer service team coupled with any valid warranty claims disregarded and blame shifted back not to me, I can't stress enough how much you should avoid this car, should've gone for a golf or a focus.