BMW 2 Series Active Tourer MPV owner reviews

"The BMW 2 Series Active Tourer is a worthy upmarket alternative to more mainstream mini-MPVs"

• Electrics (2 cases)
  • Brakes, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)

Petrol automatic

Such poor interior design, as though the driver and passengers are forgotten. To fasten the safety belts in front, you have to squeeze your hand tightly against the central console. The door pockets are narrow and deep so you cannot reach objects at bottom, and there's no cover for the spare change holder. There are no courtesy lights on the visors - I didn't realise these would be 'extras'. The driver's seat is uncomfortable, its raised edges dig into my thighs causing a 'dead leg' on journey. It's difficult to see the fuel consumption on journeys, or the temperature and time, as they're obscured by the steering wheel. All in all, deeply disappointing.

1.6d

I bought this car to replace a Mercedes Benz B class 180d which had a noisy 1.5 Renault diesel engine. The car drives better than the B Class and the suspension is much better at coping with poor road surfaces. Although it's only a three cylinder diesel the performance is better than the B Class. I use the car for town and country running and some motorway journeys which it seems perfect for, it's very quiet on the move. I cannot fault this car, it is perfect for my use.

M sport

Great car in my opinion, nothing to dislike only that there is more road noise than in most MPV/SUV. I would've expected electric seats in this model as it being an M sport. The leather interior is really nice and looks as good as any expensive BMW, fuel is better now I've had a fuel module put into the ECU port. Don't go for the cheaper modules and expect to pay around £150. Also if you drive it in Eco mode and use cruise control where you can you will see the difference in MPG, on one trip I got just under 70MPG. Now for a two-litre performance engine, that's good, your right foot isn't as accurate as cruise control mode, I control the car mainly by the cruise control switch on the left stalk. Another thing I did expect was automatic folding mirrors when you activate the door locking system but, this option may be hidden in the car somewhere and needs to be activated. I've had no underlying issues so far, so very pleased with the car as with all cars you won't get two the same for whatever reason, but I'm happy to be driving my Active tourer.

2.0 Petrol Sport Auto

I bought this car as I needed firm seats and suspension, due to back trouble, as well as a boot space beyond that of a super-mini hatchback. The car isn't as tall as many MPVs but does enable me to get in and out easily. As an MPV, the car falls short of many of its rivals, but I cannot think of an MPV that handles as well, has 195 BHP on tap and adjustable seat bolsters. It also has good, progressive brakes, something you won't find on a Ford, Vauxhall or Renault (I believe they're Brembos). As for economy, I find I get around 33 mpg in town and anything up to 60mpg on a long run, and so far, tyre wear is even. On this model they've deleted the lovely old 8-speed 'slush' gearbox and substituted a 7-speed dual clutch box. I prefer the old auto -- outside of a racetrack you don't a dual clutch, which does not always take up smoothly. The power boot lid is useful. However, if the car was completely minus electronic gizmos it would be very good indeed, but the 'toys' are the problem -- they are unpredictable and annoying. Settings are mysteriously lost overnight, and several times I have received a message saying, basically, "Car knackered take to service station." On one occasion I lost all electrical power, but this was rectified by a reset -- hitting the start button. To be honest the car relies too much on electronic stuff, which may or may not work, depending on how it feels on a particular day. On the good side, the centre screen can be switched off (via the excellent i-drive) and the collision warning can be adjusted for sensitivity. The car lacks the expected storage spaces. The one in the dash is uncovered, as is that below the centre armrest. The armrest also prevents the easy securing of the seatbelts, and it is best to lift the armrest before clicking the buckle in. By the way, if you want to have a decent big screen sat-nav and quartz headlights you have to pay for them, although the halogen lamps are the best on the market. A head-up display would be useful, but is not available on this model (costs over a grand on other models). An anti-dazzle mirror is also an extra, and the mirror flip fitted is difficult to use. The windscreen wipers are not of the ‘clap hands’ type that most MPVs have (the windscreen is too small – a letterbox). The worst feature of the car is the bad visibility through the front quarter. You can peer through the small quarter window, but then you are not looking ahead. What on earth were you thinking of BMW? Overall, I feel the car is over-priced, over-electronicked and does not match a Ford C-Max for practicality. Unless you really need sports seats, 195 BHP, semi-sports suspension and troublesome electronics, then look elsewhere.

Inconsistent electronics.
Performance is good. 0-60 in 7 seconds and excellent pickup from low revs by twin-scroll turbo.
Fuel consumption reasonable for a petrol engine.

220D Xdrive M Sport

It's a fantastic car, and the second BMW I have owned. I purchased this car as I needed something between a hatchback and an MPV. 8-speed automatic gearbox is smooth and 190bhp means it isn’t a slow car, plenty of interior space within a small exterior footprint. Had one problem which was a failed LED indicator unit which is contained within the wing mirror. The only downside to the car is the runflat tyres, which will be getting changed to normal tyres within the year. I've noticed a couple of people have had issues with the indicator controls, as they are soft touch controls and can be turned off by pressing the stall the same way that you are indicating (for instance press down to indicate left, then press down to extinguish indicators). Someone else mentioned the tray in the centre console doesn’t have a cover, it does (guess some people don’t read manuals). As stated, the car is fantastic and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend.
Failed LED indicator- possibly caused by firm suspension and runflat tyres

Fast enough for me
Could probably be better but is hard to not like the sound of the turbo spooling

220D X drive Luxury

The active tourer is a car you must do your research about. If you want a sports car dressed up as a family MPV it does not exist, the laws of Physics will tell you that. If you want a classy safe economical MPV that is smooth to drive, this is it. Don't get the M Sport, its a sad as a ill fitting wig on an old baldy fat bloke trying to chat up a 20 something. An oxymoron and very harsh riding. Do get the 8 speed auto box, do get the professional navigation pack, do get the panoramic sunroof feels so airy and kids love it, do get the 220D its far smoother, do get the xDrive for the grip, do get the silver metallic paint, NOT black, it's not a sports car! Do get the luxury version, do get the heated seats and parking sensors, do get the LED indoor lighting looks – it looks great at night. Do get the better audio system. Engage the efficient dynamics mode and then you will have a super, comfortable MPV, which is the whole point. It carries the family and everything you need. I test drove a Audi A3 Sport back, Mercedes B class, VW Golf SV Ford C max ,Volvo V40 cross country all with the top spec. The BMW is by far the best all round car. If you want a sports car buy the 2 series coupe, a family car buy this! My wife loves to drive it!

No issues ever! I just keep it maintained and turn over the engine regularly. Also don't use supermarket diesel. Get the premium diesel Shell BP etc with the additives. Better MPG and smoother running.

If you want to hoon around you can and blow away 90% of cars on the road. 190hp in a mid size MPV with 4wd makes it very rapid. Problem is you will look a wally trying to recapture your lost youth. Engage the 8 speed auto and cruise along in serene comfort!

In eco dynamics mode it's fantastic. 50mpg in real life driving round town 60mpg on the motorway.

Love it, did a round trip to Cardiff from the north east. Only spent £46 on diesel, very impressed. It drives well too. Plenty of space in the back and boot. Will definitely look to renew in a few years time.

Brilliant.. no problems at all..

Like it very much, smooth as chocolate

Amazing.

218d SE

A really disappointing vehicle. After four years in a BMW 320d Exclusive, I find this car grossly under-specced unless you start piling on the extras. The buttons are there, but they just are not activated - what nonsense when the competition has standard features that would make your bank balance bleed to have activated on a BMW. It's 5 weeks old with 3,000 miles on so these are my initial findings. The seats are, at best, OK and become uncomfortable after an hour for sure. As a drive it's fine, but the fuel consumption is awful compared to the ridiculous claimed figures. I get the same if slightly less than the 320d doing the same journeys with the same sedate driving style. There's a bizarre noise of the engine accelerating when you dip the clutch & brake. Braking is notchy & not smooth at all, the electronic handbrake is certainly not on my Xmas list. Changing gear from 4th to 5th is a spoon in porridge moment. It's also easy to select reverse instead of the 1st (the resistance on the stick is just set too weak). I seriously suggest you forget the badge on this one & check out the features for the same outlay on the competition. And I am a big fan of BMW... There is a reason why this car only scrapes into the top 10 of vehicles in this class.
Too new to comment on reliability, I can't imagine there would be any issues there.

Its OK performance wise.

Fuel figures are a downright lie, you couldn't get the quoted near to 70 rolling downhill in neutral.

225i XDrive

There are many issues with this car eg. (1) A pillar is a serious blind spot (2) fuel consumption is on the low side (3)Layout of radio and ventilation controls are set too low, especially the ventilation. Our biggest complaint is the amount of airflow achieved to the face level in warm weather and the temperature of the air which gets increasingly warmer as the engine temperature gradually increases. It should not be necessary to always have to use the aircon system to obtain cool air into the car. With the ventilation system set at 16 degrees and the engine warmed up, the air temperature into the cabin is always well above the ambient temperature to the point where it becomes very uncomfortable. Clearly warm air is being sucked into the cabin from the engine compartment. The basic price of this car plus the accessories fitted came to almost £37K. I could have bought a new car costing less than half this cost with a far superior ventilation system. Suspension is also a bit hard and steering at around 70mph requires a good hold of the steering wheel.

218i SE

42.5
Early days with only a 1,000 miles on the clock but first impressions are good. Build quality is excellent and although the SE is the base model it is very well equipped. I also opted for the driver comfort pack which I think offers good value adding park assist, ambient lighting and cruise control for an extra £590. I would describe the ride quality as being similar to the Ford C-Max which is no bad thing. Having test driven both the Active Tourer diesel and petrol powered versions, I opted for the petrol. Big risk for me as I cover 20,000 miles per year however the maths just didn't add up given the relative small difference between the MPG on the petrol and diesel. I also thought the petrol unit was more refined. I decided to use some of what I saved on adding an auto box. So far I'm averaging 42.5mpg against the quoted 53.3mpg. I would expect to achieve mid 40s in a few weeks time, which meets expectation. The turbocharged petrol engine is sweet (incredibly quiet) and the auto transmission is an absolute dream. Doesn't feel underpowered or run out of puff as some reviews would lead you to believe. I would definitely recommend the petrol unit unless you do silly miles and intend to hold on to this car for 6+ years or more. Looks-wise this car is no beauty from the outside (but neither is the Golf SV that I considered as an alternative), however the boxy dimensions provide plenty of head room and access for moving children and adults in and out of the car. The boot, whilst not overly large, is a good size. This car is ample for a family of four but not five - the middle second row seat is a bit of a perch - there again there are very few 5 seater MPVs that you can comfortably fit three across the second row. So far, I can only find one negative which is the rather thick A-pillars that can impede the driver view. Overall though this is an impressive package. It is hard to fault. It's refined, economical and practical with a small touch of prestige (if that matters to you).

220d xdrive

I've decided to write a review because my car is coming up to 3 years old. I've had a 5 series before and the 2 series does not compare in either comfort or luxury but I was not looking for that in this vehicle. I bought this because I have a fairly large dog and could not take it anywhere. This is the only BMW with a big enough rear boot (it is the longer wheel base 7 seat version) to take the dogs cage. Given all the other comments I can agree that: - it is difficult to control the indicators, many times I indicate left and right several times. You have to barely touch them but other than looking like an idiot it's not a big deal. - there is a great big pillar at the side of the windscreen but I'm not very tall and have never had a problem. Many cars these days are like this presumably for safety features. You just have to look properly at junctions. - that car in front warning sensor is mad, it randomly comes on when passing parked cars. Or worse when you are sat at the side of the road giving way to someone coming the other way. However, this has only happened a dozen times in over two years. I just ignore it. I have had one major problem and that was just after it turned 12 months old the whole IDrive electronic system stopped working. No rear camera, no radio, no sat nav, no information as to oil levels/tyre pressures etc. In true BMW style it took 2 weeks to get it into be repaired (they are always booked up) then took 36 hours to replace and reset the system. This was covered under warranty but I was told it was over £1,000 (no idea how much over). I really like this car, it is very functional it has great boot space and height with it. The driving position is good the seats are higher than other BMW's although they are rather hard and it's nowhere near as comfortable as a 5 series. Furthest I've driven is 350 miles in one day and was never uncomfortable. The acceleration is brilliant, never had a problem speeding up or overtaking. Fuel economy is good (would be better if my husband never drove it I suspect). I bought an ex demo model so it has various things that I assume would be optional extras such as cruise control, ambient lighting (nice but not really necessary), tables in the back(again pointless, why do you want a picnic in a car) better sat nav. There are lots of little storage pockets which are hand,.I'd had it 18 months before I realised there were some under the front seats. It is easy to park with the rear parking camera. Downside to this car, if you are looking for a 7 seater think carefully. The back seats slide forward to let you in but unless you're under 5 feet tall it's a bit awkward. They may be OK for older kids that can get themselves in and out but would be no good for putting any in a car seat. Also if you have a car seat on the back seat you wouldn't be able to get in because the seats fold forward. Your knees are on a level with your chest, it's not a great ride for an adult but Ok for one off short journeys. There is no boot room whatsoever with these seats up, literally your hand bag or briefcase would fit. Mine also have some sort of white bloom on the seats that no matter how much I clean and air seems to return. It is a bit plastic and to be honest they are quite expensive and some of the bits on it seem quite flimsy, such as the bit of plastic round the rear view mirror that always looks like it's about to drop off. Also would have expected electric mirrors for the price, but they are obviously an optional extra! So far I like this car and will be keeping it for a while yet, BMW service has been great so far.

Almost 3 years old and so far so good.
Fantastic, you barely have to touch the accelerator and it's off. I thought an automatic might be a bit sluggish but it's anything but.
Good fuel economy, servicing etc. is pricy but it's a BMW nothing is cheap.

218d

This is a good car in my opinion. We were looking for a car that was not too big/long so it would be easy for my wife to manage and park when she commutes to work. At the same time we wanted a car with good boot space. We had a limited budget and we thought that BMWs were out of our league so we primarily looked at Toyotas, Hondas and Skodas. Then we were lucky enough to find this car with only 14,000 miles on it for a similar price. Thanks media for the unfounded diesel scare! This car was a real bargain in comparison to the other cars we tried. Nicer interior specs, much more powerful, low consumption and plenty of space. So all in all we are very happy with it. One thing that irritates me a bit is the blinker which could be better constructed. When you turn off the blinker it is very easy to start blinking in the other direction. I have not experienced this problem with other cars I have driven. But all in all this is a small problem. Some people also complain about the thick bars creating a blindspot next to the front window. It is true that a car can disappear there for a millisecond if you have just the right (or wrong) angle to the oncoming traffic (it has happened to me less than a handful of times) but if you have not already seen and registered the car at this point you should not be driving at all. This is not a problem at all in my book, all cars have some quirkiness. In general visibilty is very good, but a rear view camera helps a lot when backing in a higher car like this. Many "so called" expert reviews seem to have missed the point of this car. Carbuyer for example complains that it is not as practical as Citroen Picasso. That is comparing apples and oranges. The Picasso is a notably bigger car in all dimensions (3 cm wider, 10 cm longer and 12 cm higher!) so naturally it will have more space, but then it would be more relevant to compare it with the Gran Tourer. We were not interested in a longer car and by the way my wife thought the Picasso was one of they ugliest cars she had ever seen. Reviews also often compare the 2-series with other BMWs and complain that it is not as fun to drive etc. Since I did not own a BMW before this one I do not have that bias, but I can tell you that it is so much more fun and powerful than all the Toyotas, Hondas, Golfs and Skodas that we tried. We got a BMW X1 as a replacement car while the EGR valve was changed on our car. The X1 was nicer but it was a 2017 model with the highest specs so it is not a fair comparison, and the difference was not big. These two cars share a lot of simarities and the X1 is only slightly bigger. If I would buy a new car and choose between these two models I would go with the X1 if money was not an object or if I would get the same specs at the same price but if you are on a limited budget the 2 series is usually the best choice.
The only problem we have encountered so far was that we needed to change the EGR valve but that was 100% covered by BMWs varanty, otherwise it has run perfectly.

Performance is very good. I have never felt the need for more power in this car. It is so much more powerful than the similarly priced competitors that we tried.
Running costs are relatively low even though diesel and gasoline is ridiculously expensive in Sweden. BMW states 4,1 litres per 100 kilometers. We average around 5.

luxury 1.8 D

I've had the car 33 months and will almost certainly part-exchange it for the same model again. The car has been just about perfect for my needs, I drive it every day. It's comfortable, economical and very roomy for a small car and has the feeling of quality. I've been driving for over 60 years and can say this car is up amongst the best to drive. My passengers also enjoy the rear seats.

225xe m sport

This is a company car replacement and I was reticent about moving to a smaller car than my previous 3 Series. I must say this car is great. Much better build quality than my previous one. It takes a while to get used to electric only driving and also to try and work between petrol and electric but this just adds to the fun. The car cleverly conserves electricity until it's needed if you use the eco pro mode with the sat nav. The only niggle is the size of the boot but still I managed to take 3 adults and 2 kids to Disneyland for a week in it

Very reliable to date
When in sport mode its really nippy. More of a cruising car than a boy racer

Great - and cheap to charge

218d sport

Was rather apprehensive about buying a front wheel drive bmw but I have been very surprised at the car all round. Very comfortable, well balanced on the road, excellent on the motorway, Great driving position, very economical. Believe me this is a quality car and I would say to anyone considering purchasing one go and drive it I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Never had a problem with the car.

Not all bmw's have to be driven and drive like racing cars. This car is very responsive when required.

Had a VW Tiguan before this car but have found the bmw active tourer much more economical.

218D

Needed a follow up to my negative review now that 6 months & 10,000 miles are on the clock... It is a poor vehicle & will probably ensure I won't see another BMW on my drive. To give you an idea of how poorly thought out this car is try lifting the windscreen wiper arm.. you can't, it catches on the bonnet. I wondered what the constant knocking noise was in the cabin, really annoying, turns out to be the passenger seatbelt metal part banging away against the hard interior door pillar. (did no one hear this at testing?) The anti collision warning thing beeps away whenever it wants irrespective of if you are close to another vehicle or not, one time on an open road 50 to 60 yards away from the vehicle in front the darn thing applied the brakes (that was a bit of a shock). I mentioned it to the dealer who confirmed they had a number of reports of similar incidents. It's simply uncomfortable on a long journey, I'm not a big bloke but still feel like I'm perched on a kitchen stool & even with the added electronic lumbar support it's just uncomfortable. The thickness of the windscreen pillars is a real problem, so much of your view when turning right is obscured that it is unsafe, your head will be bobbing around like a demented parrot to check either side of the pillar. On the plus side, it is a smooth drive & reasonably powerful, the gearing seems to have settled in, but still too easy to pop it into reverse instead of 1st. Build quality is pretty good (and should be at this price) nothing has broken yet on mine although a colleagues glove box catch mechanism fell to pieces. In conclusion, (in my opinion of course) this is a car brought to market without proper testing, BMWs 1st effort at FWD & it clearly shows. Maybe if I hadn't had another better quality Beemer beforehand I would be more tolerant of it's weaknesses. It's at best OK but not for 25K. Overpriced compared to what else is on the market.

218d Luxury

I had a straight choice between the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer, the VW Golf SV and the Mercedes B Class - all three vehicles pitched at the roughly the same target group of those wanting good space, practicality and a level of desirability from a relatively small floor-plan. From a driver's perspective the BMW won hands-down. The ride comfort is excellent, offering a good balance between comfort and handling, and the engine and suspension are particularly refined and quiet. At idle, even in this diesel version, it is near silent, and there is no crashing or thumping over rutted roads and potholes. At speed there is a lack of wind and road noise, which is surprising for a MPV/tall hatchback. I ruled the Mercedes out as the ride quality and especially the seats were very uncomfortable, and the Golf SV had a miserly specification when compared to what you get on the BMW as standard - even the option packages on the Active Tourer are reasonably priced and generous. Inside, the BMW has a high-quality, well finished cabin with several nice touches that make it feel more upmarket than its rivals. Passenger space is very impressive, with a good level of room in the back and adjustment to all seats. Boot space is useful and can be extended easily. The only thing to be aware of is the non-sports seats (standard on SE and Luxury) have a short seat squab for the front seats, whereas the sports seats have better thigh support, but are tight across your back and slightly eat-into the rear legroom. The standard seats are very comfortable and have plenty of adjustment, however. Coming from a VW previously, the BMW has some ergonomic quirks you won't find in the Golf SV. The Navigation system isn't as intuitive as the VW system, nor is the visual guidance as clear. If you have the steering wheel in a high position, it blocks the digital display in the instrument binnacle, meaning you have to lean forwards and peek over the top of the steering wheel boss to read it. It is also surprising to see exposed screw-heads under the instrument cowl in a BMW. Little things, but the Golf SV doesn't have these issues. That said, the overall standard of the cabin is a nicer place to be in the BMW. On the move, the car is amazingly refined, eager and economical. Having only run this car for a short time I did not expect an instantly good real MPG figure, but I have an average of 58mpg from the 2 litre diesel - and the Eco-Pro mode works very well with little compromise - especially once you are on a long run or commute. Looks, whilst subjective, are better in the flesh than in the magazines and photos, and the lighter metallics really do the car justice. Compare the dark blues and blacks with the silvers and whites and you'll see that the lighter shades really do the car justice and stop the car looking as high-sided as its proportions would otherwise suggest. Sitting on a brand-new chassis and benefitting from new engines, you can instantly appreciate and feel the step-up in engineering prowess above the Mercedes and even the VW. So far I am very pleased with the car; it works excellently as a company vehicle being smart and on the right-side of the taxman, plus at the weekend you couldn't want for a more satisfying vehicle for a small family. BMW have struck a perfect balance here, and even with the small ergonomic niggles, it massively outclasses the Mercedes B Class and feels more compelling than the VW Golf SV.

Build quality is excellent.

Plenty of go if you need it, but quiet and refined at all speeds.

Very fuel efficient.

225 XE hybrid

Beautifully crafted, handles well, with a good turn of speed when needed, elegantly understated but grossly over endowed with technology, and a bit of a pain. Especially when concerning the "hybrid" factors, which irritate and fail to deliver. Fuel consumption 40-45 mpg if you're lucky - never the 120mpg or so claimed: max range on an electric charge - 19 miles, less when cold. Until we'd bought the car, we hadn't realised that due to the battery we couldn't fix a tow bar - and hence no towbar mounted bike rack!

218d

I have never had a BMW and have always wanted one - looks like I have been taken in by the marketing... It's the worst car I have ever had (15 new cars so far). At least my 1965 Morris Minor had direction indicators that worked - I am constantly indicating one way and going the other, there is no way of directing the ventilation onto the windscreen, and it simply cannot clear it on a frosty morning. The "product genius" at the main dealer could not tell me if the elecro magnetic handbrake should release on driving off, and the car itself certainly doesn't know - a lottery if it does or doesn't. The manual is just no use at all - the best use for it I have found is taped to my left foot to enable me to start the car without having to sit with my head on the windscreen, the wipers cannot be set to intermittent unless on the sensor, the rear wiper has to be activated manually, although you do get such essential options such as being able to change the colour of the LED lighting in the doors. The radio is a complete nightmare, I have a TomTom on top of the display as the sat-nav is as useful as a map in the boot, and the car doesnt always start with the clutch fully depressed, which is a feat in itself as it needs legs as long as Tyson Fury's to reach..... if this is how BMW makes cars, I would rather have a Kia - marketing in action - years behind the 4yr old Mondeo which I gave up to "progress" to a BMW - not for me... it can't get up a slight incline although it is supposed to have 148 bhp.

218i SE

First BMW and not disappointed. Smooth ride and engine and sharp gear box. Excellent driving position. Plenty of room in a relatively small car for tall adults and lots of storage. Clever electronic folding flat rear seats with a large storage space below the flat boot. iDrive is easy to learn and provides a lot of options. Great car for us and our grandchildren.

Recommended