Hyundai ix20 owner reviews

"The Hyundai ix20 crams the practicality and versatility of an MPV into supermini proportions and still comes at a reasonable price"

• Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics (5 cases)
  • Brakes (2 cases)
  • Suspension (3 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

1.6 Automatic Petrol

I used to cover c.30k a year, my last cars were Volvo V40s, Golf GTi, Ford Focus. and Hyundai I30 for last 2 years. I changed after my wife and I found difficulty getting out of the I30, we are in our 80s - so she went for a ride in a larger SUV and fell out when she tried to get out. I looked around and went for the neatest little car I could find with higher seating and easy entry. I also needed a flat floor and a large boot for my golf clubs. I say neatest because most SUVs and MPVs are large and clumsy. Last week I parked amongst about 20 cars in my local golf club car park - not a posh club but I realised there were 3 ix20s. I approached the owners, who all happened to be Seniors, 'I can get in and out!' 'Flat floor boot' 'Comfortable and roomy' 'an easy car'- we all had the same verdict on the little car. I have been surprised by my ix20 - a Tardis inside, an entirely practical car and great around town or country lanes. So I drove it to Glasgow, about 285 miles each way - a little skittish on the motorway with the short wheelbase, 44mpg (against 50 on the i30 Diesel) but the huge boot was a blessing and I felt fine at the end. A little slower than my usual 4 hours but an easy drive altogether. What a pleasant little car!

No problems with this car or the i30 diesel either. That's 2 1/2 years with no problems

After my bigger diesel cars, I I was surprised! Quick and easy to drive in traffic - and quick away from the lights too. Auto takes a few days to get used to although my last 3 cars have been automatic. Suspension is firm, no lean at all in corners. Usual short wheelbase bouncy ride of course and you feel all the potholes. At nearly 4,000 miles now the car has loosened up and is a delight to drive.

Better then I expected, up to 46mpg out of town and about 36 in local driving. This is my first Petrol Car since 1990.

We bought this car from new and after a few weeks there was a loss of power when pulling away. Hyundai had the car back in and returned it saying that they have done what Hyundai had advised. The problem persisted and eventually they agreed to take the car back in [as Hyundai were aware of a "software" problem but did not have a fix], giving us a replacement until ours had been fixed. The replacement car, another ix20, seemed to have been altered in some way because even driving carefully it returned an average of 28 mpg! Weeks later we formally rejected the vehicle under the trades description act as a "fix" was still not available. After being treated with contempt by Hyundai Head Office, we are still waiting for a full refund, even though Hyundai have agreed to this. I would say the dealer has been fine and no problems with them. Oh, Hyundai did offer a "deal" - they offered us £7,800 for our brand new car [that had been rejected]! And if we paid them an extra £10,000 they would let us have a Tucson! Strange that we didn't accept the offer; I could go into the dealer [with our refund] and get one £200 cheaper! Conclusion: I would avoid the ix20 - they have a real problem with it. The temporary "fix" will leave you with an under-30mpg figure. So, if you have bought one recently, reject it under the sale of goods act, get all your money back and look elsewhere.
The replacement car was/is tragic! 27.8 mpg was the best we got from it.

1.6 automatic Active

Downsized from E Class to ix20 - great driving position, comfortable, very roomy given size, cruised quietly at 80mph on trip to Belgium, automatic box OK but miss 5th gear, build quality good and generally very happy with this car. I am realistic with fuel consumption given its 1.6 automatic and will be happy with 40mpg.

Comfort, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

Its only 4 weeks old but its a comfortable drive. For me, as I am red/green colour deficicient there is a major problem viz. in poor light & with the lights on I can't read the instrument panel as the pointers are red on a black background. As this problem affects uo to 10% of Uk males I believe Hyundai should consider changing the instrument display. This could be a change of pointers to white or having a white background.

The fuel consumption is adequate at about 40 mpg on a long run but its nowhere near the quoted figures. Maybe it will get better as the engine is run in.

2010

Had a blocked air-vent on delivery. Fixed within a month of delivery under warranty.

While considerably worse than the 1.4 manual, the fuel consumption of my 1.6 auto is actually better than expected at just over 40 mpg on the open road and 34 mpg around town.

2011

I drive my car mostly on motorways and a roads it has been very reliable

Considering the amount of miles I do the running costs are very good

2011

No issues at all since purchase.

ISG reduces VED, excellent fuel economy for a relatively large car, 1.4 engine takes down insurance costs also!

1.4 active

Visually it is a pleasant looking vehicle, mine is light blue. Interior looks okay, though some of the under dashboard plastics are a little flimsy. The radio and media player is okay. The Bluetooth is easy to set up, the hands free worked fine with my I phone, but does not maintain the pairing. The fuel computer works ok. The driving position adjustment seems okay, however the steering column up and down adjustment does not have much range. The interior space is good for 4, 5 people is possible with the centre belt which is a bit of a faff but is do-able. The central back seat is not very comfortable for longer than an hour or so. The adjustable back seats are really handy. The boat space is good with the adjustable floor being good and so is the load space with the rear seat backs down. The 1.4 engine is adequate rather than sparkly for normal use, more gear use required than the 1.6 that was perkier. The economy , like every vehicle does depend on driving style and where it is used but I have been getting 43-45 mpgs. The ride is fairly compliant given the poor state of most roads, body role will determine cornering. The brakes are ok but have a bit of a snatch at low speed just as you are about to stop but are progressive otherwise. The stop start works like most other systems, needs to be warmed up first but can be switched off. All -in -all a reasonable package.

On.your owned for 6 months, no problems so far.

Adequate for most people,

Low 40s mpgs, could be improved on.

Ix20 1.6 Active Auto

I think this car is fantastic value for money, I used to have a Qashqai as a company car, we bought this car when I took early retirement and wanted a practical all-rounder that was easy to drive and manoeuvre as it is our only car. The ix20 is over 10k cheaper than the Qashqai. The build quality is very good and the car is comfortable and has loads of space. It is very relaxing to drive in the automatic version and I particularly like the option to have a higher floor in the boot which makes loading items such as shopping much easier. It has rear parking sensors which are helpful with the rear of the car being quite high. The sliding rear seats with 3 seat back positions also gives added space in the boot if required. On the downside I would say fuel consumption around town isn't good, but as we don't do huge distances, we live with this, on a run we get about 36mpg, the tank is 11 gallons. It does not have cruise control on this spec which I would have liked and the BlueTooth phone connection hasn't been very robust as I find I keep having to re- pair my mobile and to make a call by voice commands takes longer than I think it should. Overall, I do like the ix20 and even like its appearance, I like the 5 year Warranty and Roadside cover , which I haven't needed yet! I would rate the car 9/10 bearing in mind the cost and the warranty, I would be happy to buy another Hyundai, this being our first.

It is more than adequate for an automatic MPV.

Warranty gives peace of mind, and we purchased a three-year servicing package for a very reasonable price.

1.4 Active

Very thirsty petrol engine - approximately 35-39 MPG on short urban journeys. Thick protruding pillars cause dangerous blind spots. Body roll when cornering and in windy conditions. We have not taken to this car at all and will be trading it in shortly.

2011

Very reliable no trouble at all

Running costs are fine we only do short journeys

1.5-2 litre, Petrol, Automatic

no problems to date

road tax high with it being auto, would like more mpg

1-1.5 litre, Petrol

2012

i cannot complain about the reliability of the car as it has been faltless up to the pressant

i expected better fuel consumption as it has stop start maybe it is because the engine is not run in flly

2011

Not had any problems as car is still new

Not had any bills

Style

35.39
I made a big mistake. I sold my Honda 1.4 Jazz for a Hyundai ix20 as the fuel. consumption figures quoted were nearly the same.Big mistake -where the Jazz constantly gave me 48 -50 m.p.g. this Hyundai is unable to achieve 40.m.p.g. Thus my fuel bill is now 25% higher.Why do car manufactureres quote fictional fuel figures and is there no come back on this deception.

For size of engine the fuel consumption is poor

Classic, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2009

Stylish looking car, reliable, fairly economical to run, no bells or whistles, but does what it says on the label, and since it is used mainly for commuting and social use, more than happy with choice

2011

Excellent build quality and had no problems at all

Diesel is very economical & tax is very low too.

Active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

Excellent

Lower mpg than those published by manuafacturer - GOVERNMENT figures completely wrong

active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

2010

leather steering wheel and remote key fob replaced

50-55 average mpg

1.6l petrol auto.(active).

2012

this car is a little gem, despite problems with reversing sensors, and power steering warning light coming on prior to starting, problems have been sorted by local hyundai dealer.my wife is allso impressed she says, car is easy to drive, I have been driving for 50 years & rate this car9/10.

2011

Both handbrake levers in the rear brake calipers siezed

Tax is low, mpg not very good but car is still low milage so may improve

Active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

The instrument cluster was replaced but continued to suggest the fuel tank was full, average speed was 300mph and the airbag warning light stayed lit. The speedo occasionally over-read and also dipped to zero, warning lights all on as though the car had stalled - while the engine never missed a beat. A shame, because most other aspects were very, very good.

Cheap to insure, reasonable to buy.

Style blue drive, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2012

Beautiful style and spec but the suspension is terrible, has been back to dealer for 2 days check but they say nothing wrong

ACTIVE, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

AS GOOD AS VW

style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

i find hyundai quality to be the very best

I get an average of 39mls to the gallon

2010

Good build quality. Reliability excellent so far.

Active Petrol

Whats not to like, easy to drive, loads of room, good driving position, easy in/out. Comfortable on reasonable roads, you can't blame Hyundai for our disgusting rural roads. 43 mpg generally and on long trips been up to 48. I like it so much am going to buy the new updated ix20 which has lots of extras and the suspension has been tuned to better suit our rough roads. Service from Banbury Hyundai has been excellent.

1.4 Active Blue Drive (Petrol)

2012

Good points: * Nice looking car, does not look like a typical mpv from the outside * Stylish interior * Comfortable seats * Very spacious and practical * Excellent leg and head room for tall adults * Wide opening of doors making ease of entry and exit from the vehicle very easy * Nice and high seating / driving positions * Easy to drive with nice and light controls * Excellent and practical boot space. I love how the rear seats can slide forwards to increase the boot space if needed * Very well specified car despite being mid-range (Active) * Very reliable and well put together * Cheap to insure * Reasonably cheap to tax (£110 per year). Bad points: * Shockingly poor fuel economy - Hyundai official testing: 50.4 mpg, realistic average: 37 mpg. Up to 40 mpg possible on only long and very carefully driven journeys. * Under powered engine - 1.4 l petrol engine really struggles and is not suitable for anything but town / city driving, struggles on hills even when not fully laden, very poor economy when driving past 50 mph. 70 mph at 3500 rpm. Very slow acceleration through gears. * Very bad ride quality / suspensions - The car crashes and jitters about and has a habit of bump steering. More prominent on poor road surfaces. Also, far too much body roll and transmission of thumps and bumps through the cabin. * Engine start / stop (ISG) has a mind of its own and doesn't work half the time. * Hyundai dealers not really interested and fob you off when presented with these problems. I've owned this car for 2 years now and will be getting rid of it in exchange for another car. Personally, I give this car an average 3 out of 5 rating. I am certainly going to miss certain aspects of this car. It is quite a good looking and stylish car IMO, which is a rarity coming from an Asian car manufacturer. Very practical and spacious too, almost hard to believe how much space it has inside when you look at the car from the outside. Though, the bad ride quality and shockingly poor fuel consumption are the biggest let downs to this otherwise decent car. If Hyundai can sort these two main issues out, I reckon they would be onto a winner with this car. Would I recommend this car? - Hard to say, for people not doing many miles and town / city driving then maybe yes. The face lifted 1.6 l with 6 speed gearbox may better suit this car. Otherwise, no.

Not broken down at all since owning, only needed to replace front tyres after a puncture.

Though the car is not supposed to be a racer, it could do with having a more powerful engine / turbo charger added. The 1.4 l engine is really gutless for the size and weight of this car its pulling. It even struggles up hills when not fully laden.

Cheap to insure, reasonably cheap to tax (£110 per year), reasonably cheap to service. Though, the biggest let down is the fuel economy; You will be very lucky to achieve 40 mpg in this car, far cry from its tested 50.4 mpg figure.

1.6 crdi Style blue drive

2012

Well built and reliable with plenty of flexible space. A heavy car for its size but by using the momentum, then over 60 mpg is sometimes possible with an average of over 56mpg. Sixth gear is good. Downsides of an otherwise excellent car are: Front pillars can block visibility when turning Seats are not comfortable or supportive enough for lean people on a long journey Front centre armrest seems to be a cheap and useless afterthought without adjustment. Sun roof not very good in tilt mode Gearbox gate spring is a bit weak so gears can be occasionally missed

Style 1.6 Diesel Blue Drive

The ix20 is very easy to drive. The boot is large, entry & exit to the vehicle are very easy, the doors open wide. Interior comfort is good, the seats are supportive. Rear seat knee room is generous. The Bluetooth phone to radio is a bit fiddly to set up and the handsfree voice control can be a bit annoying to make a call with, but you get used to it. The engine can be a little noisy and is rather gutless and not very exciting to drive. There has been an annoying rattle since new that the dealer has not rectified. This replaced a 51 plate Focus 1.8 TDCi which was bags of fun to drive & returned the same mpg & had less rattles considering it was over 12 years old.

12 months in and nothing has broken

Dull performance, acceleration is sluggish and motorway pick up is rather leisurely.

41 mpg using on round town and to & from work whcih is a national speed limit route of 9 miles

1.6 petrol, auto(active).

2012

Excellent car, well made, stylish, wife likes to drive it. Have had some electrical problems, (parking sensors & power steering), these have been sorted under warranty, I would buy another one.

1.6l petrol auto.(active).

2012

Have had electrical faults (power steering & parking sensors). Both problems sorted by local Hyundai dealer. I like this car, and my wife says its easy to drive. I would buy another and give it 9/10

2011

It is very reliable - no problems

The price of diesel in comparison to petrol is too high.

style, 1.6-litre to 1.9-litre, Petrol, Automatic

2010

After seven weeks use very satisfied with car. Economy could be slightly better around town.

i.6 Active Automatic

33.3
Fuel consumption is OK given 1.6 petrol automatic and used around town. Its within my expectations of petrol automatic and I take no notice of published manufacturers figures as I live in a real world! I needed a 'traditional automatic' and not some fancy dual clutch thing which appears likely to cost a fortune as vehicle gets older. Had enough of huge running costs for previous car, M/B E Class. Fuel consumption is same as this previous car which was diesel automatic. Servicing costs for Hyundai will be substantially cheaper. Needed a car that my wife and I could step into and sit down without a problem and this car, so far, meets our needs. High seating and excellent vision a bonus. Downsides - (a) no cruise control which I do miss. (b) no visual indication for rear parking sensors - noise only which is weak. (c) no plastic engine bay cover which means water enters engine compartment when washing. Water tends to collect on battery and fuse box!! (d) blind spot caused by front screen pillers. (e) no fifth gear automatic gearbox.

No problems at all since purchase in January 2013.

More than adequate and able to cruise 75/80 on recent trip to Belgium.

As expected by a realistic buyer regarding petrol engines and automatic gearboxes !!

style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

no problems

could be better stop start not as efficient as could be

blue motion, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

The car is high quality build. It is solid.

Being Petrol, and doing small milage, the car is inclined to be thirsty.

Style Blue, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

Ap[art from a problem with the reversing sensor the car has been reliable and the build is perfect for the price of the car

Petrol concumption is better than previous vehicles especially on longer runs

Well finished

Has stop start which increases fuel econamy

1.4 active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2010

Fault with USB stick connection. Fault with engine stop and start

Hyundai claim that vehicle will give a good average mpg are not believable They claim 50mph I cannot get more than 42mpg

style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

1.6 Diesel Manual

12000
Reliable and surprisingly spacious. Decent to drive despite the lousy UK roads. Quite comfortable with 5 adults on long motorway trip. Averages 45 mpg and only minor problems with loose gear stick (tightened at dealership during service), and noisy floppy clutch pedal (fixed at dealership). Stop start hardly present and I've forgotten I have it (seems common).

1.6 Auto

26.72
Good accessability as to seat height. Blind spot due to D/S door pillar. As you can see, VERY poor MPG.

1.6 petrol, auto(active).

2012

easy to drive, and economical to run, good build quality, only negative is reliability, as so far have had two electrical faults, and one niggleing noise from behind dashboard . all problems have been rectified by my local hyundai dealer.

1.5-2 litre, Petrol, Automatic

troublefree motoring

heavy on petrol

Classic, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2009

2011

Nothing needed doing Solid build quality

Fuel consumption slightly high

Style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Automatic

2011

Creep on automatic transmission. Connection to mobile phone wither does not work or we can't understand instructions. The Automatic gear shift can get locked.

Fuel consumption is dreadful - much worse than could be extrapolated from the published figures. Published Service costs are also very high.

active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

2011

knocking from under car, new n/s front suspension strut, bump stops adjusted this has not remedy the fault,haundai said this is acceptable,garage waiting for a recall,

i get between 38 to40 mpg

style, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

just a great car drives well and well specified

i get an average of58 mpg for a reasonable sized car this is great

2011

Excellent build quality, inside & out. Quiet diesel engine & great ride. Plenty of kit. Best car I've driven. Lots of space & very practical

Getting 60mpg with £30 road tax

activ, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Petrol, Manual

frunt suspenshon knocking

10 m p g less

active, 1.0-litre to 1.5-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

starts first time, reliable, comfortable and good road holding

Cheap road tax, very reasonable insurance