New BMW 7 Series revealed
Hi-tech carbon fibre production and state-of-the-art technology for the flagship BMW 7 Series saloon
To the naked eye, the new car doesn't look too different to its predecessor but the exterior has benefitted from a refresh that sharpens up the overall design. Most noticeable are the narrower, more aggressive headlights that bring the car up to date with the latest models in BMW’s line-up.
Many of the flagship saloon's parts are made from lightweight materials to save weight for improved economy and handling. A special body structure made from a carbon composite is key to an overall saving of 130kg on the previous 7 Series, but aluminium parts like the doors and, for the first time, the bootlid also help.
New BMW 7 Series engines
A new range of six-cylinder petrol and diesel engines will eventually be available to buyers of the new BMW 7 Series. For now there are just two engines to choose from - the 740LI, has a 3.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produces 326bhp, which is an increase of 7bhp on the old model.
The 3.0-litre diesel engine in the BMW 730d benefits from the same increase in power, boasting 265bhp, but is more efficient than the engine in the old model. Technology like Brake Energy Regeneration and Auto Start Stop helps boost economy further.
All new 7 Series models come with BMW’s eight-speed Steptronic automatic gearbox and a Sports version with shift paddles on the steering wheel will be available as an option.
Those potential buyers particulary concerned about running costs and the environment may be interested to hear that a 740e model will join the new 7 Series line-up in 2016. The plug-in hybrid model will feature the latest BMW hybrid technology and will come with a claimed economy of 134mpg, and should be road tax exempt.
The 7 Series has always been about comfort and luxury and the new car is no exception. A Dakota leather interior comes as standard, along with new ambient lighting, four-zone air conditioning, Bluetooth, 18-inch alloy wheels and LED headlights. A 10.25-inch graphic display is the standard partner for BMW’s iDrive infotainment system but can be upgraded to a 12.3-inch display with the Professional Navigation package.
Gesture control will also be available on the new car, with a 3D sensor able to detect your hand movements and adjust certain settings accordingly. Buyers will also be able to spec a Heat Comfort system at extra costs, which allows the steering wheel, front and rear armrests, and front and rear seats to be heated on an individual basis.
A range of other luxurious kit will be available, including active massaging seats, WiFi, inbuilt air fresheners, and a portable seven-inch tablet that you can can use to control functions from in or outside the car.
All models are fitted with air suspension and Dynamic Damper Control to make the ride as smooth as possible, and four-wheel drive is available across the range. Scroll down for full specs and prices.
|Model||On the road price||BIK tax rate||Road tax band/cost|
|740Li M Sport||£75,710||27%||G/£180|
|730d M Sport||£68,180||23%||D/£110|
|730d xDrive M Sport||£70,910||23%||E/£130|
|730Ld M Sport||£72,260||24%||E/£130|
|740Li M Sport||326bhp||5.6secs||40.4mpg||164g/km|
|730d M Sport||265bhp||6.1secs||57.6mpg||129g/km|
|730d xDrive M Sport||265bhp||5.8secs||54.3mpg||137g/km|
|730Ld M Sport||265bhp||6.2secs||56.5mpg||132g/km|
- 18" light alloy Multi-spoke style 619 wheels
- Air conditioning, automatic with four-zone control
- BMW Display Key
- Brake lights with LED technology
- Dynamic Carbon Core – Innovative lightweight construction with highly rigid and light carbon elements
- Comfort Access with smart opener
- Comfort seats, front and rear
- Control Display – 10.25" colour display screen
- Cruise control with brake function
- DAB tuner
- Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging
- USB audio interface and Voice Control
- Eight-speed automatic transmission with electronic gear selector and Steptronic
- Exhaust tail pipes, single quadrilateral left and right
- High-beam Assistant Interior trim, Fineline wood, High-gloss
- LED Headlights
- Loudspeaker system – BMW Advanced
- Metallic paintwork
- Multifunctional instrument panel
- Navigation System – BMW Professional Multimedia
- Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear
- Rain sensor with automatic headlight activation
- Reversing Assist camera
- Seat heating, front and rear
- Sport leather steering wheel, three-spoke
730Ld/740Li (In addition / replacement to 730d/730d xDrive)
- Electric glass sunroof
- Pure Excellence Exterior Design
- Roller sunblind for rear window
M Sport (In addition / replacement to respective non-M Sport models)
- 19" light alloy M Double-spoke style 647M, Bi-colour
- Door sill inlays with illuminated BMW M designation
- Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline
- Headlining, Anthracite
- Interior trim, Fineline Black wood, High-gloss with Metal effect
- M aerodynamic bodystyling
- M designation on front side panels, left and right
- Sport automatic transmission