Peugeot 208 GTi hatchback owner reviews

“The exciting, economical and excellent-to-drive Peugeot 208 GTi is a return to hot-hatchback form for Peugeot”

• Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)

by peugeot sport

I have leased a new 208gti from mid November 2016. The first impressions of this car are very good , let down by the dealership network. On my first real trip in the car [less than 150 miles on the clock] the front wheelarch trim fell off .[ £200 black plastic then paint black ! ] Peugeot did not want to replace this , and as yet have not replaced it. Hopefully in the new year . If this was not such a great car I would have returned it for a refund, no question. This is a shame, the car is too good for that and drives superbly . I have had many different sports cars over the years and am a keen driver [not a brilliant one]. This car is great to drive on the road . It is comfortable and easy to drive quickly and ideally suited to British roads whether you want to drive fast or not. My partner has the RCZ R which is also a nice car, but oddly – although it's faster – I prefer the smoother and more accessible drive of the 208. Forget the £22000 asking price its not worth that . get a deal for £17000 - £18000 with a couple of hundred miles on, and you'll get a bit more exclusivity and easily match the competition everywhere else.

GTI

Bought this ex demo from Sheffield Peugeot. Loaded with extra kit and saved 6k on new. Drove clio200 and fiesta st, 208 is way easier to live with day to day and superb spec. clio a great car but woeful gearbox. st is good but is basically a Zetec with big seats and big engine. when specced to 208/clio level it costs the same!!! no contest. I get average of 42 mpg from a mix of driving which is super for this class of car. it goes like billyo when you want it to with a great engine/exhaust note or can be a super competent runabout with great road manners. i liked it so much I traded in a 12 plate Audi a3. say no more.

After owning three 205 GTIs and a 206 GTI we couldn't wait for the 208 and it lives up to it's reputation. Would have preferred slightly stiffer suspension but a great car to drive performance wise and comfort. Great car

Love driving this GTI. Lovely engine and handling. Comfortable as well for a hot hatch. The clutch sometimes makes a squeal pulling away in first gear. Peugeot checked at service and said all was okay. Never had it before in 38 yrs of driving? I await any future possible problems. Not happy with service as have to change spark plugs every year to keep up warranty. when I only do 8 - 9 thousand mile per year. What a con Peugeot.

Great so far.

Lovely driving experience
Good apart from service con on spark plugs

1.6 GTi 3dr

1, Suspension is softer than I expected. 2, No options for 18 inch wheels and tyres. 3, Both interior and exterior are great.

I love this car!!I have owned one other Peugeot which was brilliant to drive but this is great. Only problem is that the gear change between 2nd and third gear is a bit stiff and "'clunky"'

gti hatchback

First of all most reviews go on about not being able to see the dials due to the way the dash and steering wheel is laid out. I have no problems at all seeing all the dials it just needs seat adjustment and steering wheel adjustment and its fine I am 5'10". I only drive in and around Norwich and am getting around 36 mpg with a little fun driving, car seems to be fast on paper 0 to 62 6.8 seconds but doesn't seem as fast as my last car a Skoda VRS 14 twin charger 0 t0 60 7.3 may be because the Skoda had a DSG gearbox. It looks nice and modern and the interior is right up to date. My main gripe is the plastic marks and scratch so easy my wife put her hand bag in the passenger foot well and touched the glove compartment door with the metal clasp and it marked in two places 3" and 2" and its not even sharp. Scratches easy on the sides of the centre conceal in the foot wells . Also the paint seems to chip very easy I bought this car when is was 5 months old and covered 2k it must have had 20+ (very small ones) stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet now been fixed with a paint touch up stick. (if you have a white car you can touch up and almost unviable, (if it had been a metallic colour car I would have not bought it). The touch screen is great and after half and hour I had it all sussed. We also have a Peugeot 5008 7 Seats , now coming up to 3 years old 30k with only one minor problem in 3 years so not to worried about reliability. So should you buy one try the Fiesta ST first, and don't pay to much for the 208 GTi you can find a used 13/63 plate a lot cheaper than a used ST mine was 13.5k from a Peugeot dealer I did travel as my local dealer wanted 2.5k for the same spec GTi. Looking forward to the 308 GTi may be my next car in a few years time but for now loving the 208.