SsangYong Korando SUV (2011-2019): owner reviews

"The SsangYong Korando gives you a lot of car for your money – but nowhere near as much as a Dacia Duster"

• Gearbox / clutch (3 cases)
  • Electrics (2 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (2 cases)
  • Engine, Suspension (1 cases)

2.2 DEISEL, MANUAL ELX

I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THAT I HAVE OWNED THE TIVOLI FOR ONE YEAR AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL ITS BEEN FANTASTIC, THATS WHY I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE KORANDO ELX, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT IF YOU READ SOME OF THE REVEIWS THEY DONT REFLECT THE CAR PROPERLY THESE PEOPLE ARE SPOUTING ABSOLUTE RUBBISH THEY ARE TRYING TO FIND FAULTS THATS NOT THERE AND ARE PUTTING PEOPLE OF A FANTASTIC CAR THATS IN LOTS OF WAYS BETTER THAN THE NISSAN AND THE KIA, I WOULD SAY TO ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING ONE THREE PEOPLE LOOKED AT MINE HAD A DRIVE AND BOUGHT ONE.

SE 4WD

Having owned a series of BMW's I was sceptical about moving to an SUV to accommodate a growing family of nieces, nephews and grandchildren. My wife and I test drove pretty well every version but found that either they were too small in the back seat , lacked performance or simply were too expensive. We finally decided to try the Korando and were remarkably surprised at the value the at represented. We have now used the car to take camping gear and kayaks to the south of France and have been increasingly delighted we chose this car. We even got opportunity to test the 4WD with kayaks on the roof and couldn't quite believe how capable this car was. I've owned a Freelander and the Korando did everything the Land Rover could. We managed an average of 36mpg over 2500 miles with kayaks on the roof but were cruising at 80mph for over 9 hours each way. In general use we get circa 42mpg. It is a little unrefined in the engine noise department but I've grown to enjoy that work horse like noise and it lends a certain grunt to the cars personality. A good set of tyres is important for handling as this is a heavy car and does roll in corners a little (as do most SUV's) but you soon get use to it. So much better when loaded and a great cruising car. If you can get past the badge this is a real bargain with a 5 year no quibble warranty and good build quality. I didn't think I'd like this car as much as I do and testament to that is that this is the first review I've ever written.

So far excellent

Very impressive punch from this engine and great turn of acceleration in mid range rev band. Happy cruising all day.

A little heavy on fuel atv40mpg average but otherwise good

2.2 SE

Bought this SUV after looking at it and test driving most bargain SUVs. This car at £16,000 is a real eye opener. I was paying more than that 17 years ago. The car has been bought for my wife, she wanted a car with a high driving position. The car was delivered to our home by the dealer. The car was run about locally for 2 days, then up to Inverness around 400 miles from home in Bolton. Personally I wasn't expecting much, but the car has performed superbly. The drive up to Inverness with speeds up to 70 mph has returned 55mpg. The Ssangyong is not very well known in UK but once you have driven one you might change your mind. The car has a good build quality and is very well equipped for the money you pay. The car reminds me of my daughter's Kia Pro-cee'd. The Korean car makers have come on a very long way and this vehicle is well made and very good value for money. Don't listen to car reviews, test drive one and make your own mind up. The Scotland trip we have covered 1,900 miles in 9 days and found it very comfortable. This has power very low down so you won't need to keep going up & down gears. The drive back mostly on motorway at 80/90 mph fuel consumption went down to 42mpg. I hope this owner review is some help to people who are unsure about this brand. I should also mention my last car was a top of the range Volkswagen TDI. My wife and I do not feel like we have come down to a low rent car when driving this vehicle. The car also comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

None, perfect no problems
Not underpowered - good for pulling out of junctions
Very good for vehicle size

2.2 fwd

Well I do not know what is wrong with mine in reading other reviews. We tow a caravan and traded an Antara for this and regardless of towing or not the car is nothing like as good in performance or economy. We struggle to obtain a 40 mpg return solo and 28 mpg with our 1100kg van. The gearbox is more than notchy, with an inability to get first or second gears at first attempt when the engine is hot; we are taking it to the dealer this next week to have this investigated. We will go back to GM or Skoda with pleasure next time.

2.2 LE Automatic

I bought this car as it was the model that represented the best value for me, 2.2 auto in LE trim so it's got the bits that I need! I have to say I do like the car, it pulls my caravan well and is comfortable. I do agree the handling and steering might not be as sharp as others but all the other qualities make up for that, the interior is pleasant and the folding rear seats are clever for providing an almost flat load area. The auto box gets on with things, though this is my first auto so I've no experience of others. Finally, I was hoping that the towing fuel consumption would have been better than a best of about 28mpg, hopefully this might improve as the milage increases and I suppose it's a price to pay for having automatic transmission! All in all I still would recommend one of these cars, nothing to loose by having a test drive. Go on, give one a good look and test drive.

So far so good
Does the job and gets on with things

Towing economy not quite as good as anticipated

I drive approx 30k miles a year on a variety of roads. I have driven lots of cars but have to say I love the Korando. Reliability is excellent and it has a great driving position. I test drove a Kia Sportage and the Korando feels more solid and has a good torquey engine at 148bhp. Handling wise unless you are trying to throw it around corners it is perfectly acceptable.

ELX 4x4

I read in some motor magazine that it 'feels cheap' and put that down to it being competitively priced. But after a test drive I felt the reviewer must be some metropolitan type whose idea of a rough road is a pothole on a motorway. After many longish drives I have to say that its is comfortable and competitively economic. Both my wife and I feel completely at ease driving under metalled road conditions, whether Motorway or byeway. Hundreds of miles, now, on forestry/estate roads give me the confidence to assume that if a Land Rover will get there then so can the Korando - though a couple of inches more ground clearance wouldn't go amiss. The 4wd is very deft and grippy, even with only 3 wheel contact one feels in control. Any current UK built equivalent is over engineered, over stuffed with frippery, under supplied with tyre sidewall and over the top in repair costs if you, as you inevitably will, dent a wing etc., and most other imports are the same and/or with too low ground clearance for my needs. I will be trading in for another soon - given manufacturers 'only improve' I am interested to see how well the next one fares.

Just not an issue - annual sevice, for maintenance history, is so far so good.

Jolly good all rounder - brisk as you need on tarnac and excellent off metalled roads ... with carefullness, almost up with LR Defender going x-country. Tows well too.

Its a cross-country 4WD - and I still feel that I don't fill up to often. Annual service is reasonable, doesn't drink oil ... its just fine.

I bought this car for towing our caravan. We read all the negative reports which must be said are a few years old so we took a test drive and loved it. Not sure where they get "noisy engine" from, it's a diesel and no noisier than any diesel we have had before. The handling is fine, too. Fuel economy wise we're getting roughly 45-55 mpg when we're not towing, and about 25 -35 mpg with the caravan on the back. It you get less than that you need to look at your driving.

2.2 AWD Auto

When I purchased the car I was looking to replace my previous Toyota RAV4 , As Ssangyong was not a very well known brand, I read some reviews on the vehicle, which is something I rarely do as I have always stuck witwell known brands. I should point out that I'm a cabby and don't generally keep the car for more than 3 years before replacing it. Having read some good reviews of the Ssangyong, I decided to take a chance and buy one. Amongst the reviews I read at the time, there were a couple of very negative ones, and it's to those people I would like to address my own opinions. I find the car is very smooth on motorways with very good acceleration, not noisy from the engine or road noise or even wind noise, as I read it in previous reviews. Extremely comfortable and long hauls were not tiring either, however, on the normal side roads, it can get a bit bumpy, but that's pretty much the same on most SUV's. If you drive it sensibly, the car will respond sensibly, it's not built as a GTI so don't expect it to perform like one, having said that, it's no slouch. I regularly achieve 45 mpg, I do find that main dealer servicing is a little on the pricey side but hopefully that will improve as & when more main dealerships appear. The vehicle is very well equipped, mine is the ELX and as such comes with everything including satnav, cruise control, Bluetooth and heated seats all round, considering that impressive list and the low price list, I think other mainstream manufacturers would find it difficult to beat it. If I have a gripe, it's that a few more centimetres in the boot length would be very welcome, but then it's essential for my job. All in all, I'm very pleased with my car, a have in excess of 40,000 miles on it already and it hasn't let me down once. Keep up the excellent build SSANGYONG, I will definitely buy another when I've finished with this one.

XE 2WD

Can not fault it for the price. Magazine reviewers are a bit critical for the average person (Except Honest John - Telegraph) . I agree it has a slightly noisy engine and notchy gear change but that eases when warmed up. I've had it for 6 months and had no problems other than a faulty Radio (clock not keeping time (a known problem with early 2016 XE Models) that was replaced under warranty. As Honest John says "watch out Hyundi and Kia - Ssangyong is gaining" - people should see beyond the badge and go for a test drive - they would be surprised. OK there is some cheaper plastic in places where it's not necessary to have padded plastic throughout but better than some other 'cheap' cars. The brakes are designed for a towed load, so don't press the pedal too hard - they work! If you go 'Soft Roading', the wheels will give your car those 'Off Road Credibility' mud splatters - we had mud flaps fitted - limits most of the mud. 2WD versions are NOT real 'Off Roaders' but the high ground clearance gets over most problems.

Has been very reliable. Only issued I've had is the Radio Clock. The Dealer replaced it under the warranty. No other problems.
There are minor niggles but for the price I can put up with these. The engine is a bit noisy but this quietens a when warmed up. Same with the notchy gear change. More notchy in cold mornings but eases when warmed up. Cabin could do with a bit more sound insulation maybe?
It not the greatest at economy but please remember that it is a two ton vehicle with 2 .2 Ltr. Their 2.2 Ltr is better than the 2.0Ltr and gives better mpg and lower CO2 emissions. Averaging 42-45 round town and dependant on driving style/ speed I'm getting 47-57 mpg on motorways. Remenber also that you are driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a large house brick keep to 70mph and it is reasonably economical - drive at 130km/hr (80.8mph) on French Autoroutes and you will see the fuel consumption rocket!

Le

I bought the Korando for towing my caravan. I have found the car to be very good I do not find the engine noisy the steering is very good in fact it is a better drive than my c4 Picasso. I just got sick of so called expert say a every thing bad about the car but the owners gave it good reviews.

EX 4x4

Used mainly to tow a small caravan, which it excels at. Just back from a 1500 mile jaunt from Durham to Lands End and a lot of places in between. Will tow on the motorways at 60 in 5th all day. Needs care in 6th as it will keep on accelerating way past 70 if unchecked. Hills - what hills? Switch on the cruise control and the miles disappear. Fuel consumption doesn't seem too good, 28mpg towing, 40 ish around town but it is improving as the car settles down. I love this car and would buy another for towing, but it is a bit too big and unnecessarily powerful for town driving. I bought it new after looking around my neighbour's Korando and I considered a BMW X3, a Quashqai and a few used cars before deciding. I have read lots of trade reviews and I just don't agree with them. It is not noisy, bouncy, notchy steering etc etc - are they driving the same car? I would advise potential buyers to try it for themselves. My only criticism is the notchy gearchange between 1st and 2nd gear. I accept that it will depreciate quite a bit, but it is much cheaper than the competition, has a fantastic warranty and is a great car so I can live with that.

Korando 2.2 SE Manual Transmission

As a recently retired police traffic officer I have been fortunate enough to both own and drive (on the limit) numerous vehicles - including Jaguars, BMWs, and Mercedes. I hope this places me in a reasonable position to comment on the Korando's strengths and weaknesses. Firstly, let's disregard the manufacturer's badge - that's no way to properly evaluate any vehicle. That done let's consider some of the issues raised by some members of the motoring press. Engine noise: This really isn't as invasive on the present model as the original. Indeed, it only appears worse than cars like Ford's Kuga under 'harsh' acceleration (my father owns a 2016 Kuga and I have driven them back to back on a set course). Gearbox - this is very notchy from first to second but the remainder are acceptable. Handling - Yes, there is some body roll which can lead to relatively early understear, but perhaps that's not too surprising as professional reviewers identify that it is one of the only SUV's with some degree of real off road ability. Off road ability necessitates increased ground clearance and accordingly the sacrifice of a lower centre of gravity - both of which have a direct impact upon handling characteristics of all vehicles. Bottom line here is... drive them within their limits and the body roll never becomes daunting or dangerous. Stearing - Again the professional reviewers are right stating it is a bit vague. That said, it's does the job asked of it and is broadly nicely weighted at both low and high speed. Fuel Economy - So far I have covered 1500 miles and have averaged 45 mpg over a variety of journeys. I reckon that's pretty good when you consider the manufacturer quotes 48.7 mpg. Most manufacturers quote figures that don't come close to those obtained in the real world. Remember however that your personal driving style will impact heavily on the mpg you get out of a car. One more comment on fuel economy if I may. Many reviewers compare the fuel economy of the Korando with vehicles such as the Nissan Qashqai. This is possibly not as objective as it might be. Invariably they take no account of the additional power and torque the Korando has over such vehicles, and let me tell you - the difference is pretty substantial!!! Specification - Ssangyong really do give an excellent specification for the price and as such it represents incredible value for money. Conclusion: If you need (or want) a 4X4 with plenty of power/torque, a decent specification, reasonable economy, decent comfort, and the ability to tow up to 1515kg (that's 85% of the 4 wheel drive kerb weight) with ease - then there's nothing new at the price point that can really beat it. From a personal perspective. I purchased the vehicle to perform a specific job (a second tow car) and am pretty impressed with it. I only wonder what it would score in NCAP tests.

So far, so good

A 0-62 of 9.9 seconds is respectable for a family saloon car let alone a heavyish SUV. That in my opinion makes it excellent.
Very reasonable given what this SUV can do

2.0 ELX AWD

2012

Bought car used as didn't want to spend too much and find I didn't like, the reports are mixed on them. I have found the car to be brilliant, great spec on the car as standard. I fitted an aftermarket satnav system from China which was easy to install and looks more professional than the factory fit one. Car has performed well on and off road. MPG not ideal but it is a heavy which makes it ideal for towing my caravan which it does with ease and no fuss. When the mileage is about 60k I will change the car and an so far impressed that I shall change to another Korando or maybe upgrade to the Rexton but probably not. The new 2.2L engine is meant to heads over the current 2.0 engine. If looking for an easy to drive 4x4 without breaking the bank - take the plunge, I'm glad I did.

elx

20418

This is my third Korando and I have to say I'm not disappointed. It's great for towing my caravan; very steady and the four-wheel-drive gives me that extra confidence. You get a lot of toys for a small price and SsangYong is slowly removing more interior plastic in every new model. The car has a high driving position which gives you great visibility all round, the leather seats are great too.
no problems currently
lots of pulling power when you need it
not brill on short trips

SE

Fantastic car. It towed my 26 foot caravan 280 miles with no problem. The average fuel consumption was 35 mpg .

Fantastic car with no problems.

It towed my caravan up steep hills in Cornwall with minimum gear changing – a very easy tow .

Very economical, a lot better than my last car.

Elx4

Don't read the professional reviews, if you are looking for a family suv or a tow car this is worth a look. Interior space is excellent, I'm 6'-3" and it's comfortable for me plus my 6'-5" son can sit comfortably behind me without me having to reduce my legroom. The engine has more than enough power although it's slightly agricultural in nature, but I don't find it noisy and motorway cruising is quiet. Economy is reasonable given the size and weight of the car coupled with its powerful engine. Nothing else in its class and with similar specifications comes close for the price. Mine is the 6 speed automatic. It's true that if you want a driver's car then this isn't it, but if you want a practical user friendly family car then try one. It's also capable of towing up to 2 tonnes which is far more than anything else at this price. Used ones are very good value.

So far no problems

You have to spend a lot more money to get better.
Not the most economical in its class but for the size and power with four wheel drive it's not bad.

2 litre

Excellent value for money. I've covered 20000 miles with no issues, and will likely buy another

No issues at all in

Adequate Excellent caravan tow car though fuel consumption drops to high 20's

No repair bills - returns over 50 mpg

Diesel 2.2T ELX

Do not believe what the professional reviews say this is a very good SUV better than the Nissan's, Its comfortable, fast, well built and will perform on and off road. It's a proper reliable go anywhere work horse and won't struggle when fully loaded or pulling a trailer. Low fuel consumption ATM due to being new.

Elx

Bought this car new after reading caravan review caravan to car of the year first trip to France after running In car broke down just after getting back to England with new caravan .engine ran but would not drive auto magic gear box.car transported back to garage bought from six weeks later got the car back but almost remediation anew fault. The car would surge forward at setting off,very disconcerting It's been rack to the garage many times but still can't find the problem
Very poor

Noisy unstable
Poor

2.2 4x4

Think twice before you buy this model. I bought this car from new I was not happy with the gear change to 2nd gear in fact it lock up a couple of times even lock up on the machanic when test drove. It was that bad I received a injury to my left hand. Ssangyong policy was to change the oil come on it had done less than 6000 mile that was done to no avail. A new gear box was fitted and it is still not right, a technician from Ssangyong came out and ajusted the cable lickage and stated it was fixed just the same. After lots of visits to the dealer and over £100.00 in fuel expences on my part it is still not right, any body else had this problem please take it back to your dealer. I have driven lots of vehicles over my 50 years of driving this has the worse gear change. Towing, how this got the towing car of the year from the Caravan Club I will never know it does not tow well it has the power but to me not the stability. The RAC is booked on Tuesday to give an independed report of this vehicle, just remember the old saying" you get what you pay for".

Gearbox lets it down

has the pulling power to pull a caravan but not stable

not bad

2.0 auto

This was a rental, and not the car we had been promised - so we were a bit disappointed. This however, was soon dispelled. We found the Koranado to be excellent in every aspect - as good, if not better than the vehicle we thought we would be renting. This rental was in Iceland and we wanted a 4wd for good reasons. We took it off road, drove it through streams and took it up and down some impressively steep inclines. We were exploring access to dive sites in remote areas and I was initially hesitant to expose the Kornado to the sort of terrain a Landrover would eat up. However, the Koronado took it in it's stride and filled me with confidence. It was comfortable, handled well, took rough terrain with ease and was nice to drive and comfortable on roads. I can't comment on how it handles on the way to Waitrose, or how much credibility it has in on the school run, but for off road comfort, it was great. Would I recommend it - yes! in fact, I would buy one.

Rental - no faults.

Good.

Rental - seemed OK.

Ex AWD auto

2011

Nice looking car, great for towing with its 2 ton towing capacity. Great equipment, I would reconmend going for the top of the range with the in-built sat nav which is very good. Only problem I have found is the dealerships are rubbish they don't seem to know much about their cars and service cost can vary imensly from different dealers.

SX 4X4

I speak as I find and was a bit weary when I said yes to buy this car, but I have found it to be a great car. Very nippy the engine has a lot of power and I pull a caravan of 1500kgs with no problems at all. It is comfortable ok its not a top of range Kia but is better than my Suzuki Grand Vitara and you give them 2 to 3 years and they will catch up just as Kia did. Look at them now.

SE diesel

Very pleased with this vehicle. Good driving position and plenty of power also an excellent spec for my particular model. Strong construction and excellent finish. Recommended.

2.2 diesel

Great car we got this car for towing and around town, it's good all rounder and does what the label says. Only problem we seem to have is that the clock gains time. Apparently this is a problem with the 2016 models; hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

Stars first time even when covered in snow and ice
Picks up well brakes very good especially when towing a heavy caravan good on hills and on small bendy lanes

Good running costs for 2.2 size engine

2.0 CSX. (Commercial)

I love my Korando! I'm 24 and have been saving for years for my dream car/van/ 4x4 and I have found it in this. I brought a second hand CSX 2.0 diesel. The model I chose is classed as a commercial panel van. Has 5 doors but only the 2 front seats. So it is like a van inside. Had 15,000 miles on the clock and was immaculate (still is if you ignore the mud). It has done everything I have asked of it. It's towed my horse trailer and 2 horses (350kg & 400kg). Been off road in the Peak District, Lake District and the Lincolnshire fens! Through 12inches of flood water. I've taken it through a lot of mud and I mean deep mud to see what it's limit it. (I wanted to know so I don't get stuck with a trailer and 2 horses! ) it had one moment where it couldn't get grip but sorted its self out and out it came. As for on the road it is great. It's so practical. Yes there is body roll if your going too fast and throw it into a corner but hey if your going to drive like that get a sports car and go on a track. The gears can be a bit notchy when cold but don't let this put you off. I haven't really noticed that the engine is loud, I just know I like the sound of it as it shows it's a grunty workhorse. It's. A very Handsome looking car too. I had tried loads of vehicles before this one. From Toyota Hilux, Freelander 2s, Kia's etc. But I fell in love with this one when I drove it, it's so practical for me for horses, towing, off road driving and then commuting to work everyday and generally driving around town. The figures worked out the best as well. For general expense over its life it was a winner for me personally. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an SUV 4x4.
Hasn't let me down!
Love it! All info is in the above essay! Haha
Good considering it's 2 tonne with a powerful engine.

2015 2.0 se

Forget what the motoring journalists say, they do talk twoddle. Having a caravan I was looking for my next tow car, I have had Peugeot,s Citroën, Ford Audi, all of which were good bit nowhere near the Korando. Its comfortable roomy well equipped and has excellent pulling power ok it may be a little noisey on hard excelleration but hey it shifts, don't be a badge snob try one you will be surprised.

No problems so far

Great for a car this size power when you ask for it

Excellent 40-45 short commute

D2.0T

As a car I am very happy with it, it's built like a tank and a pleasure to drive, motorway driving is a smooth breeze, seats have become more comfortable with use and the steering has a nice feel to it, we feel safe in it. Negatives, the gears are a bit clunky and you can accept calls on bluetooth, but you can't call out. My wife and I love the Korando, the biggest shock is the resale value, March 2015 we bought new for £15,750 with a couple of extras, 18 months later we went back to the dealer and he offered us £7,645 ( it is in mint condition) for it against a new Korando 2.2 Auto at £18,995, 50% loss in 18 months!!!, so whilst as a vehicle I would highly recommend it, either keep it for the life of the car or steer clear of SSangyong, we will sell privately and buy a new car, it won't be a SSangyong.

Too young to tell really, so far nothing wrong

pulls like a tractor, reasonably quick as well.

For a 2 metric ton vehicle, I think it is excellent on fuel, 60 mpg at 65mph on motorway

2.2 ELX AWD Auto

It's awesome I've owned it for 7 months and it still runs as if it was new

It's really reliable

Not bad

It has a decentmpg rating

SE

Bought the car on a whim after a test drive. I have to say that I am NOT disappointed, I love driving it. For a big car I get between 40-45 depending on road conditions. Excellent value for money. It's fairly responsive when needed, loads of room inside, no knees up around your neck when sitting in the back, plenty of space in the boot. It's not a Freelander or similar, but a Freelander would be at least double the £17k I paid and for that you would only get a base model. The Sportage would be around £10k more. Love it and would buy another one without hesitation.

2.0 Auto Diesel

I really love my Korando 2.0 Auto. OK it's not a Range Rover but it is a brilliant vehicle all the same. Fuel I thought it would be a gas guzzler but it has surprised me, I use less fuel with my Korando than I did with my old trust worthy Insignia SRi 1.8 petrol that served me well for 72,000 miles, but with the Korando the ride is better and the fuel economy is better thus I saving on average £100.00 per month in fuel. The mobile phone connection is OK it is a pity that you cannot dial from phone memory. Ssangyong, please let the entry model have driver seat heaters and electric folding mirrors. I have never in my life had a entry model before but I am not disappointed with this level of comfort or goodies that one would expect in a vehicle today. Electronic type pressure monitoring is available at a touch of a button. The auto box is a dream.

No Issues
Hey you are not buying an Aston, it's a 2 tonne puller.

£100 savings against that of vauxhall Insignia 1.8 Sri

2.0 SE 4x4

Can't fault it for the price. Professional reviews are over critical for the average person. I agree it has a slight noisy engine and notchy gear change but that eases when warmed up. I don't agree with one review where it states that "rear passengers will be thrown around" due to the soft suspension in bends. Get real. I've had it for a year and half now and had no problems other than a faulty clutch sensor that was replaced under warranty. If only people could see beyond the badge and test drive one they would be surprised. I'm trading in for a new version in September and although the price has slightly increased, they have added as standard equipment that was optional but the price increase is less than all the added extras. Just remember where Kia was a few years ago and look how they've come in (including their prices). Ok there is some cheaper plastic in places where it's not necessary to have padded plastic throughout. So what. I'm no motoring reporter but this car does exactly what it says on the tin and for the price, that's fine with me.

Has been very reliable. Only issued I've had is the clutch sensor had an intermittent fault. Dealer replaced it under the unlimited mileage warranty. No other problems

There are a few niggles but for the price I can put up with these. Yes the engine is a bit noisy but this quieten a when warmed up. Same with the notchy gear change. More notchy in cold mornings but eases when warmed up. Cabin could do with a bit more sound insulation but I'm being picky there.

It not the greatest at economy but it is a two ton vehicle with 2 Ltr engine and I think Ssangyong are doing well at this stage. Their newer version is a 2.2 but gives better mpg and lower CO2 emissions. I'm averaging 42-45 round town and dependant on driving style/ speed I'm getting 47-57 mpg on motorways

2.0 se

If SsangYong fitted a brand new name, engine and gearbox, they could be onto a winner.

4x4 SX

39.8
Bought this car after having two Land Rover Freelanders and thought we might be dissapointed, but not at all. We tow a 1,500kg caravan, which it actually tows better than the Land Rover did. Been very happy with it and fuel consumption far better. Not the prestigious badge, but it does everything it says on the tin.

Found it very reliable
It has the power when you need it, at roundabouts etc.
Fuel economy seems good.

ELX

I have been quite happy with the vehicle purchased living in a rural environment the vehicle has performed well on all occasions. The ergonomics are such that the vehicle is fairly easy to clean, vision is great through windows and mirrors as well as reversing camera and sensors. Yes, the vehicle's ride is not the best; but neither was the Golf's on these narrow lanes; with the cabin being comfortable and friendly. Economy is good but I cannot remark on service costs yet but been told they are competitive by the dealer. Definitely worth a look before spending any more.

2.0 ex

Myself and my husband where looking for a good car really for the purpose of towing a caravan. After many weekends of looking at many SUVs we felt quite let down at what we had seen. We then saw the Korando, test drove it and loved it. Read all the reviews and have to say we are very impressed, in fact we love it! We have found no negatives with this car so if you are thinking of buying one definitely give it a try.

ES , 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

Very well put together. Excellent paint work. Good quality leather seats. Some of the internal plastics are a bit cheap, though no different to me previous KIA. Done 1200 miles and so far proving a good all rounder

Bought it as my KIA guzzled diesel. The Korando combined is booked at 47.1 mpg avge. I have done 1,200 miles and its average is 38.9mpg, so when its run in I reckon it will be good for 42mpg, so very pleased.

2.2 4x4

In the first twelve months mine had two new gearboxes and a new clutch because second gear locked up. It still has a bad gear change when cold. The service cost £200 plus in the first year, £300+ in the second year. A wheel bearing captive nut was not put on correctly after the gearbox was fitted, lucky I noticed before the wheel fell off. The garage also forgot to put the locking wheel nut back in my car, I noticed two weeks later. They had to post it to me, could have been expensive if I had a puncture. The 5 year warranty is ok but you will pay over £1,000 in servicing at a dealer. When it was a couple of months old I wanted to trade it in. I was offered £9,000 ish where I bought it. It had halved it's purchase price. Now valued at £7,000 as a trade in.

Engine not bad, gearbox is rubbish

Engine good pulls well. It'll tow a 1,300 kg single axle caravan, but uses plenty fuel. Consumption when towing not stated by Ssang yong

Fuel consumption high, service charges extortionate .

2.2 LE

I have owned two. The first one was a 2.0 litre, I had it for two years and bought the new 2.2 LE in July 2017. It's a great motor.

Korando ex 2.2 two wheel drive

Reviews are all very well but often straight from out the garage. At the time of my review the car is only 6 months old but so far the vehicle is fine. Build quality, noticeable after washing the vehicle, is good. There are far more refined vehicles on the market but you have to take into account of price. You read lots of negative reviews on all makes of vehicle so things have to be taken in some context. For the price this vehicle has been very satisfactory so far. I have encountered one small issue and that is the clock has gone forward one hour on several occasions. A phone call to the dealer has been made and that problem should be resolved soon. It towed my caravan with ease and respectable economy .

Diesel

This is our third Korando and just when you thought things couldn't get much better....it did! The new engine is totally amazing (not that we found the older ones lacking at all) mpg and pulling power is truly fantastic. We tow a caravan and it is perfect for the job and quieter. We previously owned Terrano, x trails, and Isuzu. This little beast beats them all for towing hands down. The prices are creeping up slowly but still are amazing value for money.

Elx

First automatic car I have owned brilliant responsive engine great interior and so many extras on such a reasonably priced car I have driven lots of cars. and this is comfortable easy to drive and behaves well above many other brands Spacious and I have had a lots of favourable comments from my passengers
So far brilliant
You have to be careful when coming out of junctions very responsive and fast cruises easily watch the speed on the motor way as easily exceeded
Better than I expected

2.2d auto

This has to be the worst 2.2 diesel engine of modern times, after covering only 220 miles the fuel tank was almost empty, I got that sort of fuel return from a 2.5l turbo Impreza. Noisy and unresponsive. Body roll is scary.

Even though it is a large heavy car a decent 2.2 diesel engine should be more efficient.

Horrendous mpg

se

We looked at and test drove 12 crossover-type vehicles for practicality and value for money, and we kept coming back to the Korando, as we need a car to tow a caravan and this had won tow car of the year 2013 and 2014. We find it a very practical car, with easy-to-move reclining rear seats giving a huge boot space, plus it feels well put together and I really enjoy driving it. The steering feels positive and the seats are a little firm, but not uncomfortably so. I get about 47mpg combined and so far 60mpg on motorway trips. It certainly has a lot of pulling power from the 2.0-litre turbodiesel and feels surefooted. It has all the little extras other crossovers offer, but most were between £5k and £10k dearer, so the Korando is a winner for us in terms of value for money. I feel SsangYong is where Skoda was 10 years ago and Hyundai and Kia were 5 years ago. Although SsangYong has been going since 1954, I believe the Korando is a joint Hyundai/Kia venture. It's a lot of car for £14,995.

Only had it 7 months, but so far it's fine, no problems.

Surprisingly agile, powerful and confidence inducing, although we haven't had a winter in it yet.
Considering it weighs 2 tonnes and it's a 2.0-litre engine I suppose 47mpg around town is reasonable, it does the same as the tiny 1.0-litre Kia Picanto we part exchanged for it. Servicing is free for 3 years and a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty, not much to worry about really.

2.0 e-XDi

Very well built car. Smooth to drive, good steering, good suspension. Lots of space, good road view. Fuel consumption is about 7L/100km but thats normal for a SUV with 155hp. Forget about underpowered SUV like the Hyundai IX35 and the KIA Sportage. They need more power and fuel to make it a comfortable drive and that is what the Ssangyong Korando offers plenty. Great car. The are learning fast and keep an eye on them.

Recommended