Toyota Yaris Hybrid hatchback (2011-2020): owner reviews

"The Toyota Yaris Hybrid can be very economical and boasts a spacious interior, but it can't offer the driving fun of a Ford Fiesta"

Price
£14,809 - £23,424

• Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)

VERY disappointed with this car, I bought it to replace my wife's Saab convertible . The fuel consumption is diabolical, we've not even achieved 50 MPG yet. My daughter's 166,000 mile 1.4 diesel Vauxhall Corsa is getting 51 MPG (tank to tank refill) & even a friends Range Rover Sport 3.0 diesel achieved 50 MPG on a long mixed run recently. The engine is noisy & always sounds as if its screaming its head off. It very rarely uses the electric motor except in very slow traffic. I use cruise control a lot, and on a lot of different cars, this one is a bit awkward to use as the buttons don't work the same as most others. it is a nice looking car, though, as it is the limited-edition red & black one.we didn't get chance to drive one first as the demonstrator was out, & there was only 1 red & black one left, so my wife insisted we get it. I wouldn't have bought one if I had the chance to test drive it.

very lacking in performance, wasnt expecting same performance as the saab but this is poor.

as in the review. Had i found out i could have returned it under consumer protection laws in the first 30 days, i would have, that is how disappointed I am.

Trend

I bought this to replace a second generation Prius which was faultless even after covering 100k. You can tell this is the newer generation of hybrid as it does drive better with even an improvement in MPG. What I don't like is intrusive cabin noise which is mostly tyre generated and some wind noise, the Prius was quieter. What I do like is the more supportive seats and compact external dimensions whilst still having decent interior room. It does have a well put together feel without loads of creaking plastics and I've no idea what some reviews refer to as gearbox noise, there isn't any . An ECVT is not the same as a CVT transmission and should not be compared to one. More power would be nice but achieving 60 plus mpg without trying, zero RFL and a pleasant environment to be in does help. Perhaps given the choice I think I would prefer to own the Auris Hybrid, purely because it is quieter on longer journeys but the Yaris is still a nice compact car and should be tried if looking for an economical petrol automatic, especially for town/city driving.

No worries on this subject
adequate but not staggering

very economical

1.5 Hybrid

I have had problems with this car since day one. The first problem with the car was it pulled you towards oncoming traffic and there was also a banging noise from the driver's side. We were never told what the problems were, as other reviews show very disappointing fuel economy. On its first service, the rear disc brakes were severely grooved with the pads looking like new. I would never buy a Toyota again and plan to go back to the more reliable Honda.

Poor as we have had problems from day one.

Rough ride, poor fuel economy and poor build quality rating.

As fuel economy is nowhere near advertised.

T-Spirit

2012

Great, smooth driving small car that does not feel small. It's like a mini Prius. 55mpg We have noticed the Yaris runs on battery power only a lot more than our Prius; perhaps that's because it's lighter. Ours is from before 1 April 2017, so is zero-rated for road tax. Note that even T-Spirit does not have sat nav, but 'Touch and Go' as standard even though it has the multi media display screen. We are on our second Yaris Hybrid my wife doesn't want anything else. I agree it is a really smooth quiet and nice car to drive. The boot is okay for shopping trips but not big enough for a families holiday luggage so we use my Prius for holiday travels. We get same fuel consumption on both cars. Toyota servicing is not expensive and Hybrid Health check gives you 12 months battery cover for extra peace of mind. But these Toyota Hybrid cars are super reliable and cheap to run thats why taxi drivers use them. Used Toyota Hybrids have gone up in value by £1000+ in the last 18months as the word has spread on how great and cheap to run these cars are.

No problems

Very cheap to run

Great mpg and inexpensive servicing

1.5 Hybrid T3 Hatchback

I've had this for nearly two years now and it was 1.5 years old when I bought it. I do lots of miles both town and motorway and can say that it is absolutely amazing. My average fuel consumption is around 66 plus I have got free tax and insurance at a bargain price. The car has done 64k now and has only needed general servicing. I changed tyres and brake pads and brake discs (the brakes were serviced just a month ago). I'm really happy, have had no issues at all. It might be the right car if you like speeding and fast acceleration. All the rest is good. It even did a trip to Europe 5,000 miles long!

amazing!

I never expected it to be racing car hence never been let down. not right for f1 drivers for sure.

cheap on fuel, free tax. bargain insurance, no maintenance fees apart from regular ones at all

1.4 hybrid

I've had my new Yaris hybrid for six months now and never regretted it. It is an ideal car for commuting in and out of London which is what I do daily. The gearbox (strictly speaking a CVT) is immaculate, the electric motors give lots of torque and the petrol motor joins in seamlessly. Nothing like a traditional auto gearbox. I've never found it noisy at all as some reviews you read. You have to get used to the idea that the petrol motor will just jump into life to charge the batteries as needed which seems odd at first. What you think is a grinding noise from the brakes is regenerative charging of the batteries. I don't go in the congestion zone often but I've registered it so no CC if I did. I do a blast 120 miles up the motorway once a month and it copes well with that. It is not a motorway monster but an OK compromise in return for effortless commuting. It will never win awards for its looks but as a rock solid commuter this is the future.

1.5 hybrid 5 door

I love this car and would recommend to everyone.

Hybrid Excel

Hybrid Excel with 15 in wheels, Eco tyre pressures, cruise control, parking aids etc. Driveline fantastically smooth. Fuel economy typically 60+ mpg around London. I have had 70 mpg several times. 55 mpg on long run/motorway. No London congestion charge to pay. Very roomy, relaxing to drive, comfortable and refined - and I am very tall. Powerful engine brake. Overall, I am very impressed.

Excel

Excellent, very relaxing to drive on short distances or long motorway runs, very roomy in front and I am 6ft 2in, much under-valued in reviews. I have the 15in wheels and pay no London Congestion Charge - the review should be corrected. One point of detail - the engine brake on the Hybrid is strong and useful.

Perfect so far

Marvellously smooth and consistent, deceptively brisk if needed.

Very low, especially on business tax

excel

I bought the Yaris for my wife. It's a good car but returns poor fuel economy. My own car is a 3.0-litre Mercedes diesel that does 45 mpg on a run. Our Yaris struggles to reach 60mpg, how you get 70 mpg is beyond me. I am a garage owner and have lots of experience in driving for economy, I reckon the fuel consumption figures are fictional. This morning the car has failed to start, so I think it's about time to replace it with something else.

OK until this morning when it failed to start
Great performer at low speeds. A little noisy when accelerating.

Poor fuel consumption. Expensive to buy yet poor part exchange price .

Icon

This is a great small car. I notice most of the 5* reviews come from the hybrid like this one. It really should be reviewed separately as it is a different animal. I defy anyone to find a small automatic that is so smooth and economical, especially on short runs. Most small auto hatchbacks are jerky due to the ASG single plate gearbox. The CVT is very smooth and you barely notice gear changes. The other main thing is that it is actually extremely fuel efficient in short stop start journeys- the opposite of a conventional car due to a fair proportion being with the electric motor only. It is exceptionally quiet, almost silent in EV mode and the engine only becomes noticeable if you accelerate extremely hard or go over 60-70mph when it is still tolerable. It can be very quick off the mark as well. Fuel consumption doesn't match the quoted figures but around town and in traffic we get about 56 mpg. I have had 70mpg on a longer run including motorways and A roads but I was trying quite hard to keep the fuel consumption low. It handles well and soaks up bumps fairly well. The boot is a good size for a small hatchback. Seats are very comfortable and it has a nice high ride position giving very good front view. The back is not quite so good but we have a rear camera which helps with reversing. There is plenty of space in the back for two adults. The climate control is very effective and cools the car down in a fraction of the time my Audi A3 takes. Not had a single fault in four years but it has only done 9000 miles. Despite the motoring press not so glowing in their praise I'm struggling to think of any downsides. I suppose the infotainment system is a bit sub standard but the car is 4 years old now and this may have been upgraded, I don't know. We live in a fairly flat area but I think it does need to work harder up hills so may be less suited in a hilly area.

Excel

It's a nice little car, and fits in with my motoring requirements. Very good fuel economy, except in very cold weather where the batteries don't hold charge. Quite comfortable for longer trips, with good handling and braking. It's only real let down is that it could do with a bit more power, particularly on steep hills - as other owners comment, the CVT system allows the engine to rev with not a lot happening. I think Toyota should look at developing an alternative transmission for all it's hybrid vehicles, to include the Lexus brand, maybe a DSG or similar to Hyundai. I think doing that it would tempt more keen drivers from other marques.

Excellent

Not bad, just a bit slower in some situations that it should be.....

Excellent

1.5 hybrid Excel

Bought a brand new top of the range excel hybrid. Build quality is excellent. Very comfortable. Bought it for 80% driving in town and traffic. But recently had to go on a 400 mile drive. It is very comfy on a long drive. I stopped for 10 mins twice on this 400 mile drive. Cruise control is great. Averaged about 50mpg at 75mph. But this is built predominantly for urban driving with regards to fuel efficiency. I did a bit of research on line before buying it. Driving a hybrid is a completely different style of driving to a regular car if you are going to take advantage of EV mode and get good mpg. I find it quite fun keeping it in EV mode and seeing the mpg shoot up. If you want to race around this isn’t the car for you. It’s got quick acceleration if you want it but will hurt your mpg. The idea is to accelerate slowly then come off the power to switch the engine off and run the car on Electric Vehicle mode. I totally understand the poor reviews on fuel consumption. My friend was the same with his. I showed him how to drive it and now he’s getting 70mpg plus instead of 50mpg. You simply can’t drive it like a normal car. If you don’t want to drive hybrid style don’t spend £2k extra on the hybrid engine. Spend the money on petrol instead. Coming off the power and switching to EV mode as much as possible with very gentle pressure on the accelerator pedal is key. Then coming off the power totally to roll up to junctions with really light breaking to charge the battery is essential. I don’t think this car is for everyone. I love it. Very comfortable and smooth ride. The engine is noisy when it races to keep up high speed. You get used to it and that’s what it’s meant to do. Only get the hybrid if you mostly drive in towns and traffic if fuel consumption is your main aim. It cruises perfectly down the motorway but will use the fuel just like any other 1.5 petrol car if you do.

1.5 hybrid

I bought my lovely Yaris Icon from a Toyota main dealer. For the last 1.5 years since I've bought it, I've covered about 25,000 miles. Most of them were driving through London but I've been on a few Europe journeys too. I've used it as a minivan too, loading wardrobes, baby beds and lifting bench/weights and loaded like this it didn't struggle maintaining about 100 mph on the German autobahn (not joking). The only thing that I miss is cruise control on long journeys and some little things like an armrest, light in the glove box, light above the rear seats, brighter light in the boot, indicator for low washer fluid, etc, etc. So far I can't complain about anything important though. The car serves perfectly me, my wife and my baby girl. Good job, Toyota! :)

5 stars from NCAP, can't add more to that really...

Not bad for a small car

60-65 mpg

1.4 hybrid Electron 5dr

I'm 78 and have had many cars, the best I found were always Toyota until now. The good point is the acceleration is very good. The rest is not good. The layout is terrible. The screen behind the steering wheel is small and to look at it take your eyes off the road, the big screen in the middle of the car could easily be used and would be much safer. There is so much rubbish attached to the car that the driver will never use. The turning circle is very poor; my previous Toyotas were so easy to drive and park, this one certainly isn't. I would not have bought it if I had read the reviews, it is just that every Toyota I've had before has been brilliant. So sad.

Hybrid

I really love this car, great on mileage, and so easily driven, not much room in back for feet. I do have one problem, My tyres are wearing at front on outside, changed them to the back , and the front ones are wearing AGAIN, I KNOW THE ALINGMENT is not out enough for the tyres to wear his much.

2019

Found this car great for heavy traffic that we have in Malta. Very silent and and comfy driving. When the traffic is low like early morning on weekends you can easily get 27km /ltr. Regarding keeping up with other traffic on highways it has no problems at all. Been to Mount Etna with 4 persons and from sea level to 2000m only took 25mins of winding roads and the altitude is no problem thanks to the electric motors. Just keep in mind that this is not a race car and the roads are not a race track.

For now , none.

Ideal for a small car.

Very good

Excel

I've owned the car for 18 months now. It's in Excel spec with all the options including glass roof. This car is nothing but awesome. Despite some reviews on here saying to the contrary, the car has plenty of performance. Given the maximum legal speed on the public highway is 70 MPH, it has no problem keeping up. Overtaking is hassle-free. If you floor it, due to the nature of the drivetrain, the engine goes to peak torque RPM (4800) and stays there which understandably makes some noise during hard acceleration, but so too do any other car at this RPM and hard acceleration. Two reasons it is more noticable in the hybrid is because the engine is practically inaudible when cruising, and is very low revving, too (it can be idling even at 70 MPH - show me a conventional car that does this without selecting Neutral!). Gas milage is very good, and you do not have to drive like Miss Daisy to achieve it. Optimum speed for best MPG is around 53 MPH; you invariably catch up traffic ahead at this speed, whether due to slower traffic or a roundabout. The car takes about 15000 miles (from new!) before you start to really see great MPG. New, it was "only" returning 50 MPG, but I recently completed a 170 mile journey on motorway and dual-carriageway, and attained 76 MPG. Yes, I drove at 53 MPH, but so what? You buy these for economy, not speed. Even at 70 MPH she'll still return 55-60 MPG, but you won't get the super-efficiency it is capable of. At 50 MPH or less, you can hold a conversation at whisper level. Faster than this and road noise increases, but not to silly levels. At 70 MPH you can still hold a normal conversation in a quiet voice. It's very comfortable to sit in, and after 3 hours continuous driving, you don't feel like you were sat there for 3 hours. Boredom is the biggest problem! It doesn't handle like a sports car, but that's because it isn't one. Steering is positive, and never feels too sensitive. At highway speeds, it is weighted nicely, and not twitchy. The Excel model has wider 16" tyres and grips the road well. It never feels short of grip. It has cruise control, which works great, but increases fuel consumption (this is because it can't predict the road ahead). It absolutely holds the speed, and can use up to max regen braking to hold speed downhill, unlike conventional cars. Interior space is adequate for 4 adults, or 3 adults if the driver is tall. My only real complaint is the pedals are slightly too close for a tall driver, but otherwise it's very ergonomic, with everything within reach without stretching. Boot space is adequate, and the rear seats are 60/40 split for additional space. The glass roof has enormous area, and gives a great cabin ambience. It is not too hot in summer, either. The car acts like a greenhouse in the day, winter or summer, so doesn't feel cold. At night in winter, it is necessary to use the heater, which is why MPG falls in the winter months as the engine has to run more (hybrid engines run cooler and so must burn additional fuel just to generate heat). On a very long run (several hundred miles) and driven at optimum economy speed, the car has an estimated range of 550 miles. Not bad for 7.5 gallons (35 L) fuel!

No problems to report. Prius are running 350,000 miles on regular servicing only. I expect this to be the same.

Very good. Can keep up with big Mercs, Audis, and BMWs. ;) Try it for yourself. It's not fast, but 0-40 MPH and not much can keep up. Instant torque from the electric motor can't be beaten.

Very good. Economy in summer is 65+, dropping to 54 in winter due to heater usage and lights (when you get very efficient cars, anything requiring energy becomes more obvious). In summer I have achieved 80 MPG over a 20 mile journey, so it is possible!

1.5 Excel

I have owned my Yaris from new and had it just over 1 year. It has covered just over 8000 miles in this time. The reason for writing this review however is that while others claim an MPG of 60+ I can just about get 40 MPG. One of the biggest problems I have with the car is that it is a 1.5 but feels like a 1 litre. My wife has a an automatic 1.4 petrol and it is a lot faster and gets the same MPG. The second problem I have is the MPG as already mentioned, when sat in traffic the engine will rev up and start burning fuel just to charge the battery. To put it in perspective just how bad the MPG is, I have a 3.0 diesel Jaguar which is also an automatic, and I can have that running with everything turned on just like the Yaris with the addition of heated/cooled seats, a sub and more weight to carry, and still attain a better MPG. The depreciation isn't good either, I paid just over £17,000 for the car and it is now worth around £10,000 as I tried to part exchange it and this is all I was offered. I have got to the point where I don't like using the car, and don't want to part exchange it as I will lose too much money. So the car is sat there most of the time and because of this the discs have pretty much rusted to bits. The good points are the touch screen multilmedia system and the energy monitor, and the design of the interior is quite nice. When compared with my friends older Yaris model however there are a notable few things missing, such as rear sliding seats, the additional glove boxes, there is no spare wheel and the ride is not as soft. Personally I would stick with an older model if you want a Yaris as the hybrid model feels very much like a car designed in a recession.

Can't really comment as I've only covered 8000 miles but had no problems so far.

For a 1.5 litre engine, the performance is shocking. The car feels like it struggles to get up to speed, it struggles up hills, and the car stuggles to maintain speed at 70mph.

The MPG is terrible for what it should be.

The advertised 'government' mpg is not attainable, however I drive, following all tips / help from Toyota garage. The mpg is so different from the published rate (claimed at over 80mpg), that I feel cheated, as I expected to save more on fuel. I have had a few Yaris models and they didn't lie about mpg previously. Nice and quiet feel when running on electric - this is when on flat and under 40mph. Some niggles: just as previous models, the inbuilt sat-nav is annoying with its warning every time and the fact you have to press the touchscreen many times before you can even enter a postcode. The glass roof is awesome. No car tax - amazing. Loses stars by the misleading mpg claims.

1.5 Hybrid Icon Plus

Well we have had out little Yaris just over 3 month now and have to say we are loving it. We are a small family with two young children (2&3) so are loaded up with car seats etc. Our old Civic around Cornwall would average between 48-52mpg so we were pleased when we were getting between 57-60mpg with the Yaris. Yes that is no where near the claimed figures but I knew not to expect those. The car is great for around town, seamlessly switching between electric and internal combustion, and the CVT box is great for its smoothness, so much so my wife feels less car-sick! Though it is a bit noisy at motorway speeds it is fine around town. We have took the car on a couple of motorway trips and found that the fuel consumption drops below 55mpg on these types of roads when sticking to 70mph, so if you do lots of fast roads you might be better off with a diesel, peak speed to keep mpg high is around 55mph any faster and it drops quite a bit. Sometimes it does feel like it could use a bit more powerful battery and electric motor combo, as it can cut to the petrol engine quite quickly, and then that doesn’t seem to have much torque. But saying that cruising around town at 30 and below the battery is fine and does a grand job, and once up to speed between 30-50 the battery can be used to keep you ticking over, when the engine kicks in on its own it can produce some quite impressive figures. Since changing cars our insurance has dropped by £100 a year, fuel by £60 a month plus £0 tax and no MOT for 3 years I am paying a small amount for a brand new car. All in all it is a great car for in town, and you are getting manual diesel MPG from an automatic petrol. I’m sure with a few more miles the engine will bed in a bit more giving better MPG. Just don’t be in too much of a hurry!

Recommended