In-depth reviews

Skoda Superb owner reviews

"The Skoda Superb hatchback has more space, comfort and capability than just about any car for the price"

• Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

2.0 Tdi SE technology

Excellent car. We bought it because of the boot space and it doesn’t fail me. The drive is very smooth , feels safe and predictable but lacks a bit of excitement. My previous vehicle was modified with lowered suspensions. The interior is well designed and a bit like in any VW car “no fireworks” but well made. The air conditioning could be a bit stronger and the headlight bulbs had to be upgraded for better quality brighter ones as the originals are too weak. If you go for a car with xenons that would not apply. It does 60mpg on the highway and 42-45mpg in the city so far – much better than many small cars. In general there is always smile on my face when I have to drive it so it gets 5 stars from me.

2.0 TDI, SE Business, 150 BHP

We’ve had this car for now 8 months, during this time the car has driven and apart from minor points below, its behaved faultlessly, excellent MPG, low emissions, cheap road tax, very comfy, excellent around town and on long journeys with a huge huge boot. Lots of handy storage spaces too. Heated windscreen, side and rear windscreen blinds work very well (optional cost). Managed 740 miles on one tank of diesel from NE Scotland to Devon, during that time the car behaved perfectly. Kids love the limo like rear space and tablet adaptor that fits into centre arm rest/swivel capability, which also fits into either of the front seat head rests via small additional adaptor (optional item from dealer but cheaper to buy from superskoda.com) . £ for £ I feel the car is better quality than a BMW 5 series we used to own. Cons Suggest front and rear mud flaps are fitted to stop tar being deposited onto paint work, as the big tyres can throw up a lot of dirt. Electric handbrake I’m not a fan of, a few times its disengaged on its own and suspect eventually the motor mechanism will fail. On rainy days when you open the boot fully, small water trials can occasionally enter the boot. On frosty/wintry days the rear view mirror mists up a lot, which is pain on dark mornings constantly cleaning it until internal temperature warms up. Adaptive cruise control takes some time to get used to, although designed for motorways, beware using on dual carriageways, as it can slam the brakes on when a car in front is turning left onto slip roads as it thinks you’re going to crash, so you need to keep your foot on the accelerator to override the auto braking.

1.4 SE 150 ACT

This is the second Superb I have owned. The 2010 car I last had was the 1.4 TSI S. It may have looked a bit awkward from some angles, but I always looked forward to driving it. Virtually faultless, it's replacement was a given. This car is more attractive and feels more mainstream, but has lost something of its' character in the transition. It is very spacious and feels to be a 'quality' car. The gearbox is a bit 'notchy' with a fairly long throw and the engine needs to be worked to achieve any kind of performance. The stop-start system is more of an irritation than anything else (I usually switch it off when I get in) and the electro-mechanical handbrake is a pain. Otherwise I'm very pleased with it. I've done 2,000 miles so far and have achieved 48 mpg overall, since I'm a very steady driver I don't really expect this to improve too much. (My previous car achieved 43.5 mpg. over 30k vs. a claimed overall figure of 41.5 mpg.). I could afford the equivalent Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. but I can't see the added value to the driver, other than the badge. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn close. Another plus, it doesn't have any of the negative connotations of the other premium brands.

After 2,000 miles I have experienced no problems.
The gearbox is a bit 'notchy' with a fairly long throw. The engine needs to be worked hard to achieve any kind of performance. Its general demeanour encourages a more relaxed approach.
Pretty much as expected - 48 mpg. over 2,000 miles, well short of the claimed 57.7 mpg. overall. Even on several 200-mile trips, the best I've achieved is 56 mpg. Insurance is competitive and RFL is £30/year. I opted for the fixed price service plan too.

2.0 tdi 150 se

New model Superb - 4 mths waiting list. Had 2 other Superbs new before. Auto handbrake needs time to get used to. I've only done 600 miles, but towed my caravan as if it was not on it. Fuel consumption 52 solo and 33 mpg towing 1400 kg.. I looked at E-Class Merc and BMW - no contest except the badge. I expect this car to be outstanding, and will not regret it.

Other 2 were faultless

Brilliant towcar, won many awards

Outstanding for size, but you will never get gov mpg.

2.0 TDI DSG Elegance

2012

I am retired and main usage of the car is a combination of local and motorway. I have, for 60 years, maintained records of mileage and fuel purchases and my present car, and its identical predecessor, have consistently returned 40mpg. This is average over six years and 52,550 miles. I am not a boy racer and drive light-footed, only at limit speed when on long run. These are facts not theoretical figures.

SE 1.5 TSi ACT

2019

45.9
I have had this car for almost five months now. I was quite pleased with my previous mk3 and this car is noticeably better. The gearbox is smoother in operation and handling is better controlled. Skoda have also added front parking sensors and an automatically dipping rear view mirror. My previous car averaged 46mpg over three years and 18k. miles. This car has recorded 45.9 mpg over 2600 miles so far. Both cars have been fault-free. I like this car's refinement, it is well screwed together, quiet, spacious and very reliable.

The car has been fault-free so far.
The car is built more for comfort than speed, though performance is more than adequate.

With around 46 mpg and fully comprehensive insurance at under £200 I'm impressed for the size of car. The first two years servicing was also included in the deal.

2.0 Diesel DSG

Beautiful quality and features, a really lovely to drive, comfortable and very reliable and I've never had any issues with it. The DSG gearbox very smooth, driving holidays with it is a real pleasure and it's economical for the size of the car.

1.9

2010

Car has cost a fortune on repairs don't believe the VW reliability hype these cars are reliable but repairs are costly and frequent.

2 litre Lauren Klements

It's the fourth Skoda we've had and they have all done high mileages with us and been great! The car has lots of tech, which in the main does what it is supposed to. My last Superb had as this one does self park which did develop a fault and crashed in to another car! So I am a bit wary of this feature, in fact have not used it on this car yet. There did not appear to be any reason that this feature should misbehave (no external damage).

2009

Overall this is a good quality car with vast space for rear passengers and a spacious boot. I have the 170bhp common rail diesel which goes like a rocket when pushed. However, I bought the car with just over 100k on the clock and I was very pleased with it but the nav unit soon failed (common fault) it then required a new turbo after about a year. The alarm unit failed resulting in taking the fuse out in frustration and to the grateful thanks of my neighbours. The driver's seat is wearing due to abrasion entering the car. The major horror was the ABS module pump leaking resulting in a huge bill because a replacement was unavailable in the UK. So all-in-all, if you are thinking of a high mileage Superb there are problems to encounter. Having said that, if you can stand the hits then I think the car will run up to a huge mileage if taken care of. The engine is very good.
Could be better

Good performance
High costs if there are problems

2.0 SE

The best car I have ever owned. We upgraded the SE to add privacy glass, the winter kit (heated front seats, heated windscreen washer nozzles, heated front windscreen) and the Canton navigation system and surround sound system. Edinburgh is very hilly and I was initially nervous about the electronic handbrake. Love it now, much easier to use. It holds automatically so all you need to do is drive away and it releases itself. Kids love the space and the sound system. My eldest son is a 6'2" and has plenty legroom. Bluetooth hands free and media playing is excellent. Barely hear the car as it drives. I use adaptive cruise control every day. The car can react faster than a person but I would recommend automatic transmission with this feature. Wish I'd got the mudflaps. The Emergency City Braking saved me from an accident where someone cut the corner from another lane into mine.

2.0 TDI L&K 4x4 150ps

44.5
We bought this car and it worked for 1 day before going in garage for 4days in first week. It lacked power - especially uphill and it went wrong again less than a week later and spent 4 weeks in garage awaiting new turbo. At this point we rejected the vehicle as Not Fit For Use which Skoda UK accepted. Since then it has got a mind of its own and never works 100% - Engine management system not working as we got 50+ MPG from previous Skoda Superb and Octavia models. Stop/start sporadic, auto lights on in bright sunlight ,it drinks too much AD-Blue, it idles at 1,000 revs and cuts out if going below 900 revs. It sometimes beeps too close even when a pavement and kerb between us and the wall/bush. It changed the mood lighting colour and switched on Media microphone and telephone even when we never touched any buttons. This is our 5th owned Skoda and a complete nightmare.

2.0 SE Business

Fine car which is spacious, exceptionally quiet and comfortable. Much better screwed together than the previous Superb - no rattles at all. A very relaxing car to drive - especially over long distances. No problems at all - but one minor reservation - an occasional tendancy to stall if not given enough revs in low gear. I understand this is a common issue with modern diesels. Not a problem once you adjust your driving style.