In-depth reviews

Subaru XV owner reviews

"The Subaru XV is a practical family car with standard four-wheel drive, but ultimately it's a niche choice"

Reviews

• Brakes (1 case)

Review 1 of 6

2.0 Petrol SE CVT

Tell us what you think about your car?
Bought from K Price Subaru of Abergavenny at just under 3 yrs old and 22,000 miles covered on purchase. Came complete with faulty tyre pressure sensor, which they 'failed' to recognise at pre-delivery and which to date, is still faulty. Personally, the TPMS feature is a complete waste of time and a constant irritant. Owned now for 11 months. A very relaxed drive, with not a rush in it but very comfortable and frugal when you consider engine size, transmission and AWD. Returns 46mpg at 67mph cruise repeatedly so very happy with that. When you've mastered the CVT driving technique it is a magic carpet ride. Good handling and excellent turning circle although concur with internal quality comments of others. The seat bolstering/inlay staining is totally unacceptable and something Subaru strangely don't recognise under warranty and which is a disgrace. Just had 2nd MOT (first at 3 months early before purchase) after 12,000 miles covered and cost me £350 for ALL PADS and a pair of REAR DISCS as they were damaged by metal-metal contact just before service booking. As an IAM member and very considerate driving technique, this is 100% down to poor main dealer prep before I purchased vehicle. Reliability in everyday use has been excellent, it's a pity that the main dealer wasn't! I'd definitely buy another Subaru but not from a main agent.

2.0-litre SE Premium

Tell us what you think about your car?
I use my Subaru XV off-road in my small woods every week - usually towing a small tractor or trailer - and to commute to work. I get 36mpg towing my caravan and the country roads around me are often icy for most of winter. It has proven very reliable and pleasurable to drive on long journeys, winding country roads and about town. I have had to drive through 6-inches of snow off-road without drama. On compacted snow and ice it's actually quite fun to drive and very predictable. The 350Nm of torque makes towing a pleasure, even when towing about a tonne of logs up a wet grassy slope off-road. There is no torque steer from the asymmetrical all-wheel drive, it just goes where you point it. Being all-wheel drive, the wear on tyres is spread evenly and I expect to achieve over 30,000 miles before requiring to replace any of them. When driving in very heavy rain at speed on dual carriageways this car handles any surface water with ease. I have never driven anything that does not require some quick steering correction when one side hits deep water, but the XV's all-wheel drive system really comes into its own in such situations, requiring no steering correction whatsoever. It's like a train. It fits into my garage as it's not too high or long, and I can still unload shopping out of the boot with ease when the main garage door has closed, which makes life simple for me. Visibility is very good from the cabin and the rear view camera makes reversing and hitching up a doddle. There is no other car quite like it for me. Driving it really inspires total confidence, no matter what the weather or terrain throws at it. I would highly recommend this car as a great workhorse, both off-road and on, for those who need something tough and very capable.

1.4

Tell us what you think about your car?
What a car in the snow, it's fantastic. We live 1000 feet above sea level, we get snow when everyone else is sunbathing!!! It will go through anything. My husband has a very well known 4x4 pick up and it couldn't get up the lane to our house, the little XV passed with ease. Great little car around town and easy to park. The let down with the Subaru XV is the marketing, it doesn't do the car justice. I wouldn't of known about this car only a colleague told me it would be the best for where we live.

2.0 Petrol

2012

Tell us what you think about your car?
Great fun for soft off-road and coutryside roads. Very responsive CVT, best I've driven. A bit noisy on motorways, but all in all, a very happy owner.

2.0

Tell us what you think about your car?
This is my second XV and the improvement from the 1st generation is significant. It's a different car; the seats, internal comfort and safety all improved Xdrive and hill descent work a treat and gives you lot of confidence off road, living in the wilds of Cornwall this is a must.The only downside is that there's no spare wheel. This on a vehicle used to go off road is penny pinching. Luckily my garage sourced one for me. You can not compare it to a Landrover/Rangerover but then again it is a family car and a lot cheeper to buy and run. Tried other SUVs with a 4x4 option and this beats them all.

2.0 ise manual petrol

Tell us what you think about your car?
This is the best car I have ever owned and would definitely recommend it. I live in the country and a 4x4 is very desirable when the weather turns for the worse. This is where the car really shines leaving other 4x4 lookalikes for dead in the snow. The build quality is excellent and it feels like it will last for years. The cornering ability at speed is outstanding for a car of this ride height. It might not be trendy or be packed with gadgets but it is a proper car. Fuel economy is good returning around 39mpg on my daily commute which is a mixed bag of town and country driving. When I took it on holiday for a week the mpg was up in the forties on a long run which is ok for a two litre petrol engine with permanent 4x4. I am considering getting another XV or a Forester when my wife's car is replaced next year. I enjoy every journey in this car. I Well done Subaru. 5 STAR.

Recommended