Vauxhall Ampera owner reviews

"The Vauxhall Ampera offers it all: a long enough electric-only range for the vast majority of daily journeys combined with the ability to cover long distances, too."

• Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (5 cases)

1.4 Hybrid Electron 5dr

2012

Purchased a low mileage 3 yr old for a third of new price and very pleased. Sold my Leaf after 2 yrs ownership wanting the benefits of electric driving without range anxiety, The Ampera provides this. No problems so far and anyone complaining about lowness of the car I would say I have had no problem going over speed bumps.

Totally reliable to date.
Electric drive provides an unparalleled driving experience, quiet as a luxury car, very strong constant acceleration all the way to top speed without noise or shift points, no vibration and no wasting energy when stopped at the light.

Cheaper than my Smart Cheaper than my motorcycle Dirt cheap to run!

1.4 hybrid electron

2012

An outstanding car. Fun to drive and very economical. Only draw back is the 4 seater issue.
Has been very reliable overall

Outstanding

Outstanding

Electric, Electric, Automatic

Its never let me down

Saved over Ł1200 in petrol costs so far

2012

So far nothing has gone wrong other than battery coolant needed topping up (no Leaks found)

Free road tax and about 70 pence to do a full electric charge which covers most of my journeys without using any petrol. but can go anywhere should I need to when going further than electric range of 30 to 50 miles using petrol.

no problems experienced

it's exceeding my expectations

1.4 Hybrid Positive 5dr

I have only had my Ampera for just over a week and it is exceeding my expectations already. I have covered over 700 miles and used 6.8 gallons of fuel. I have been using it on Electric since I drove it up from Stoke on Trent to Edinburgh. the last time I charged it up it had done 52.3 miles on a full charge. it has returned 60 mpg on petrol generator when i hold the battery charge, as I am waiting on a home charge point being installed. It is a very nice car to drive and would tell anyone thinking of buying one to get one as soon as you can.

Positiv

2012

What can I say about this car. It just makes me smile every time I get into it. It looks amazing and the inside is futuristic. I cover 43 miles a day and the Ampera does all this on battery. I haven't put fuel in for a long time. I got mine second hand. Best car I've owned. 30,000 miles and no problems what so ever.

Positiv

Car from hell! Sold by Pentagon Sheffield with damage to the left hand side mirror and left hand side front panel, mirror kept falling out of its fitting from day one. The vehicle is substantially lower to the ground than any standard car in UK. When the car was driven over a sleeping policeman for a first time the car radiator was damaged and the car dashboard did not indicate any problem. The levels started being low still the car dashboard did not indicate any issue, then the car electrics stopped charging. The dealer allegedly accused the purchaser of damaging the vehicle whilst the vehicle is unfit for UK roads as should be able to drive over a sleeping policeman by the driver with 35 years of driving experience! Poor quality and manufacturing design fault.

2012

Not a single problem since new

I have saved over Ł700 in fuel cost compared to my previous car

99.8
bought new no problems

would like more battery miles

Electron

Fantastic car, and best I've ever owned. Shame Vauxhall didn't advertise it very well, as the engineering is unlike anything I've ever driven, and smooth as silk in acceleration. It has a quick pick up thanks to it's electric motors, yet doesn't suffer range anxiety like traditional EV. I save a decent amount during my commutes and drive around town purely on electric, and when I need to travel further, the MPG is better than what most have reported (minimum of 45 MPG on petrol, going up to 65 MPG). The ride is comfortable, with decent suspension despite it's weight, and handling responsive if little feedback in the steering. However, it's not boring to drive thankfully, and even after long trips, thanks to the smooth motor, you still feel fresh. The interior is well thought out, with the exception of the central console, but there are some nice features, from heated front seats to passive cruise control. I'd wish it had heated steering and electro-chromatic mirrors, but considering that this design had to weather the 2008 recession, it's held well. I've had a few electrical issues, such as the independent central console restarting itself every once in a while, and a sticking issue during the winter on the driver's side door lock, but in the 2 years I've owned it, I've had nothing but appreciation.

1.4 electric/petrol

2012

Had this car 3 wks now. What can i say other than what a fantastic car around 45 miles on electric. I bought it for my partner she loves it. I've got an Audi A5 and i can honestly say i prefer the Vauxhall.

Electron

Brilliant car, quiet, comfotable and very economical. Okay so the initial purchase price may be high but then the running costs are extremely low. My supplying dealership turned the car out in the worst state I have ever received a new car in, it is just unfortunate that there are so few dealerships authorised to deal with this type of car.

No problems with reliability

Has the oomph if and when you want/need it.

Very low and even better if you can make use of public charging points providing they are not occupied by ICE cars.

1.4 Electron

I've had this car a year now. I bought it with 3680 miles on the clock and have now added about 4440 miles to that pretty much free of charge. I put £10 in last August to stop the low fuel warning coming up and then £20 when I was doing a long journey but still have 153 mile range on the remaining fuel. Charging mainly at local charge points and only 3 times from home so far in a year. The car has saved me over £1300 in a year on fuel and road tax compared to my last car, a BMW 330D. The Ampera gives smooth silky driving effortlessly commuting, low wear on brakes as I keep it in L mode. It's a joy and a pleasure to own. Plus it looks sporty the comments I get from people parking up in the charge points asking what kind of car it is. Looks way better than anything I have seen in a charging bay. Ok the Tesla is stunning too, if you have a spare £60-90K. I can never get tired of this car. I'm still admiring it when I walk up to it, especially when it's all clean. The curvy design of the body the low skirting at the front give it that different styling to any other Vauxhall out there, I just love this wee car.
No problems. Ever
Just brilliant. Instant power at any speed. Easily powerful enough to overtake. And great brakes
Haha what costs £££ I have spent more on breakfast once in a service station than its cost me to run this car for a full year

1.4electron hybrid 5 dr

2012

When driving mostly under 50 miles per day I have never put in any fuel. Even on longer runs i.e. Manchester and Leeds it is still averaging 109 mpg overall. Coupled with 0 Road Tax, this car is amazing. Giving instant torque from electric motor, no clutch or gearbox to worry about, it is always driven by electricity. The engine serves only as a generator for when you cannot plug in. I have solar panels so charge in daytime for free, happy days! Compared with a Tesla this car is amazing value.

exellent

what more would you need stunning

practically free after purchase

2012

Apart from computer software everything is fine

1.4 Hybrid Electron

I have owed this car for about 1 month and I love this car, as stated on other reviews it silky smooth to drive, and plenty torque when you stick it in sports mode, I have found for my commute its been unbelievably economical, I have done approx 300 miles so far as I only do a shortish commute <10m and it has only used 0.3 of a gallon. That works out to be about 1000 mpg - this cannot be real, it has not done the engine maintenance yet so that may drop it a bit. And this is in the midst of winter. I found using the pre cabin conditioning stops the petrol engine from running and saves more fuel. I use the timer built into the car to charge it on economy 7 and that saves even more. Its worst points are a medium sided boot, low head height in the back seat and only 4 seats. However these do not affect me at all, as I mainly use it for commuting, I am the only one using it. The head height even though not great is adequate for adults 6ft and under, only tall people may struggle, however as the seats are like 2 bucket seats in the back they are super comfy. The boot is not massive but more than big enough for 1 bid and 1 small suite cases and loads of room with the seats folded down. The worst points are easy to live with and the best points, cheapness to run and smooth or fun to drive make it a very good car, buying secondhand made it very affordable but just wish I bought one earlier. Would I buy another YES is GM export them to the UK.

So far no problems.

Its not a sports car but has plenty of get up and go. Very easily switchable into eco mode or one foot driving in L mode.

Looks like Fuel will cost me less than £75 for the year, as it does most miles on electric.

PERFECT, NEVER LET US DOWN YET

hardly costs us anything, as it is electric and we have solar panels.

2012

Car has an intermittent alarm fault which dealer and manufacturer have been unable to resolve

Great combination of battery power (which I recharge using solar-generated electricity when possible) and petrol generator for longer distances. Fuel consumption in petrol mode slightly disappointing