Volkswagen Beetle owner reviews

"If you want a retro-styled hatchback and don’t mind sacrificing a little practicality for looks, the Volkswagen Beetle should suit you perfectly"

• Brakes, Electrics, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)

1.2 TSI Design Bluemotion

Had my new Beetle for nearly 3 months and I can honestly say it is one of the best cars I have ever driven, the gearbox is so precise and smooth, I was rather surprised at how much mpg I get from driving about town as my parents had the previous Beetle and it was rather thirsty but this 1.2 Bluemotion engine is rather economical. When buying the 1.2 I thought it was going to be a tad sluggish, however I was surprised at how nippy the car is around about town and it can handle itself on the motorway!, I would definitely recommend buying a Beetle to anyone as they are solidly built and very good value for money.

Very reliable, solid built, nothing at all feels cheap inside and out.

Very nippy around town and can handle the motorway easily.

very affordable to run about town, I put £30 of petrol in and that gives me up to 260 miles.

1-1.5 litre, Petrol

2012

It's just so solidly built you feel it's reliable. Only had 3 months but faultless

Guessing at mpg but would say its reasonably efficient

1.4 tsi Sport

The new Sport looks better than ever. I have the upgraded fender sound pack which lights up the speakers and under the doors - sad but I love it! Plenty of room in the front for a 5"3 person and my 4 year old loves it in the back. I can even stand up in the back to strap him in. Have assisted parking which does help, given the curvy shape. Do I prefer it to my old Mk 5 Golf? Yes and no. It's pokey but does step a bit when changing gear and isn't as smooth as the Golf but it does have that retro feel. If you want a nippy hatchback that's pretty practical with great reliability and looks good I'd give it a go. But I might just go for a Golf GTi next...

1.2 TSI Design

2012

Very fine head-turning car. There are a few problems though - in the Design version, which is not an entry level, the dashboard is a hard plastic and it just doesn't look and feel good. The seats try to be stylish but aren't - they look cheap and are not as comfortable as the Golf's, for instance.

First 15,000 miles the car consumes approx. 1-1.5l/100km more petrol. Later the consuption goes down.

1.5-2 litre, Petrol, Manual

More than 5 years

It starts sometimes

Things go wrong, most times

Expensive to repair and lots of faults, so far this year two rear arm bushes, front coil and whole new ignition barrel and steering lock! After only 40,000 miles! My old “new beetle” I had 11 years and it never failed me, bought this with just 20 miles on the clock and it has given me hassle from day one! Back to garage 3 times in warranty for electrical fault and brake fault then just after warranty expired the keys became stuck in the barrel, £634 to replace plus the cost of getting it the 129 miles to the dealership! Never again will I buy a beetle after the terrible after sales service.

Normally reliable but this one has been nothing but hassle
Great performance when it goes

1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Semi Auto

2012

The car is to new - has only done 2000 miles - to come to a conclusion about reliability

car to new.

1.2 liter v4

To high priced

1.2 design dsg

2012

Fun to ride with dsg, uniqe design and solid as german cars. Makes me smile every morning

Petrol, 0

1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Manual

2012

Never had any major problems with vw

Wish it done more mpg on small journeys