Ford Fiesta ST hatchback owner reviews

"Fast and fun yet practical and economical, the latest Ford Fiesta ST is as great a hot hatch as ever"

st3 3 door

I've owned (suffered) with this car for a year and a bit now. It's terrible to drive in normal mode, it's supposed to have 200bhp but in normal mode it feel almost like a 1980's 950cc Fiesta Popular Plus! Very sluggish pick up and very poor urban MPG for a 3-cylinder 1.5 petrol. The wheels are huge for such a small car and it's a terribly harsh ride on normal roads. If you hit a pothole at anything more than 40mph, then you'll need to replace the alloy as they are made from the softest flimsiest aluminium (obviously corner cutting). A quick scan of social media, reveals that owners sites will reveal many MK8 ST owners reporting oil leaks from the cam cover. Rear engine torque mounts failures. The build quality is shockingly bad. I've had rattles from the steering rack, panoramic roof, the door cards, the dash and from the exhaust. Sticking door edge protectors and non weathertight window rubbers and thin glass used on the windscreen leading to many owners having to replace the windscreen after seeing cracking. The hype was huge on this but the car the reality is its bad on petrol urban driving its heavy, poor build quality, fragile and worst of all you have to deal with Ford dealers and their lack of customer service.

Performance Edition

2019

Expensive Fiesta ST, but really well worth the additional outlay. The suspension and gorgeous lightweight 10-spoke alloy wheels subtly improve the already good ST ride and roadholding and take them to another level. If you are a hot hatch enthusiast you will definitely not be disappointed with this car. The tangerine orange colour is the only option, in the flesh it's a stunningly good colour choice, photographs barely do it any justice whatsoever.

Mk8

2019

This car suits my daily drive to a tee. I’m lucky to have several routes I can take to work. B-road bashing is the most fun and the car just loves the corners. If that isn’t an option the car in normal mode sitting on 40/60 roads can achieve 45mpg+ - even when 'giving it some', it hasn’t dropped below 30mpg! I’ve made a few tweaks, mainly an open cone induction and a Stage 1 remap, which has taken the car to a whole new level. Needed really? No. Maybe it’s the trap of owning a hot hatch! As Carbuyer says in their review - the practicality is great! The infotainment system is also great - except I don’t use the Ford system, instead I just plug in my iPhone and use Apple CarPlay. There is tons of space - seats down I can get my full bass rig, guitars and accessories in no problem. I’ve even managed to get my double bass to fit! If I had the chance again I would get the LED headlights - I’ve replaced the bulbs with aftermarket LEDs which have improved things but not to the same level as having the LED system. Retrofitting is a no-go due to the auto levelling requirement and the fact you’d have to program the ECU. I went for 17s with the roads I travel and find them just fine. I enjoy driving the car everyday.

Not had one issue to date.

Fantastic. The car loves the corners and pulls really well. It’s agile and with its fast steering makes you drive smooth and fast!

A mix of sporty driving and sedate commuting returns around 42mpg. Short blasts and town driving around 39mpg. Longer journeys I’ve had over 45mpg.

1.6 3 Door

What an Amazing little car. Always brings a smile to your face and can be a giant killer. I replaced the tyres with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyres and I would recommend this to everyone as they are much better than the factory fit Potenza. Also added a Collins Performance Stage 1 remap and wow. About 225bhp but tons of torque. These cars run 350bhp on hybrid Turbos with standard mechanicals, so 225bhp is nothing. Had for 1.5 years and not a single problem, just push the start button and off you go. My dad has an F80 M3 twin turbo, which I have driven many times and I would rather drive the Fiesta. The Handling and braking are a riot and the car gives you total confidence, you just smile every time. The car seems to be well liked also. Cruise at 50mph and you can get 50mpg. Best Car purchase ever.