In-depth reviews

Jaguar XE owner reviews

“The Jaguar XE is a stylish and affordable small executive car that's one of the best in its class”

• Brakes, Engine, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

2.0 diesel 180 bhp

The bad: Poor rear/side visibility; leather seats stretched after 1,500 miles; sides of the centre console are plastic covered with thin material; gear change paddles are plastic; heater throws cold air when temperature reached (told this is normal for XE); poor rear seat foot room. The good: Sporty design; good acceleration and good mpg, 64-72mpg on motorway, 84mpg once!; bad experience with the main dealer when purchasing the car - made right after much hassle; servicing is cheaper than Mercedes.

R-Sport 160 bop diesel

The Handling is so sharp and rewarding and yet the ride is pretty smooth. Performance is brisk and yet the fuel consumption is impressive. A 135 mile trip from Northants to Dover at average of 66mph for 2 hours gave me 69mpg! I've had 50,000 trouble-free miles apart from the need to have its ad-blue nozzle changed recently after a dashboard warning said engine restart wouldn’t be allowed after 500 miles. Jaguar Assist sorted initially with reprogram but crystals were found on the nozzle after a second instance. The interior is a great place to be for driver and front passenger but a little cramped in the rear (certainly for 5 over a distance). Boot is adequate. Walking up to it always puts a smile on my face and I never tire of driving it.

Prestige 2.00 D 180b.h.p

The XE is comfortable, powerful and wonderful to drive. The interior of "latte" leather, and a sunroof makes it a 'ZEN' place to be. The service department at Jaguar can't be better, polite and helpful. I shall certainly buy another.

200bhp 2.0 petrol R Sport

I've enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of my XE and two years down the line I still look forward firing it up. The engine is the older 2.0 litre non-Ingenium unit but it's still good unit the same. The interior is a lovely place to be, I lightened it by choosing ivory headliner and seats and added a sunroof. I didn't bother upgrading the sound system and as I don't blast music out it and it performs perfectly adequately for me. The leather dash and seats with contrasting stitching, the piano black facia, pulsing start/stop button, theatrical gear knob and dial lighting which changes to the driving dynamics all combine to put a smile on my face when I climb in. The driving position is very good, fully adjustable and sort of wraps around you like a cockpit. I chose British Racing Green which seems rare on the roads and is now unbelievably discontinued. No idea why as to me it is the only colour for the R Sport and certainly turns heads. Handling is sublime out on empty A roads and pretty effortless on motorways too. Boot space and rear space is smaller than rivals but that is a something I knew from the outset and didn't bother me. To be honest, a simple change in the type of suitcases we use for holidays (long canvas instead of the standard shape) actually enables me to get more out of the boot space than I did in my bigger S Type. So far the car has had two standard 12,000 mile services with no extra work being required and I have had no reason to contact the garage for any other problems. Overall a little firecracker of a car with the looks and fun factor to take on its German rivals and beat them!

2.5t Petrol R-Sport

The handling, smoothness and performance are top class. While some cabin materials aren't top quality, overall the impression is good. Rear seat space is a little lacking and access is cramped. The car is comfortable, refined (as a petrol), and feels special to own and drive. The R-Sport or portfolio are the ones to have for the best interiors and equipment. The car has been faultless so far.
A little thirsty for short trips, but good on longer journeys.

2.0 LITRE 180PSI

This is the 4th XF I have owned over eight years, the 2.7, 3.0 and 2.2 diesel, and now the 2.0litre 180ps, all automatic. All the cars have been superb vehicles, comfortable, economical but fast and safe . The only moan about the new XF is the lack of a CD player on the new UK model Jaguar.

163ps diesel automatic

The XE was one of the early production models. Comfortable, stylish with great MPG on long trips, it was an ideal replacement for the previous model of XF. However, the inability of the dealerships to maintain it, and constant problems has seen me walking away from JLR products after years of owning them. Rear suspension mounts had to be replaced at 12 months old. Heavy vibrations at idle, that the dealership put down to failing engine mounts, and finally a turbo failure at just over 100k miles which wiped out the engine. Wouldn't recommend another unless it's completely inside warranty.

Reliable for daily commutes, often I cover 200 miles a day, until something went wrong - then it's fighting against the dealer network to get anything sorted.
Performance was down compared with the previous model XF, but you only really noticed when you needed the raw power. For normal and fun driving, a great car - especially when in dynamic mode!

Fantastic running costs. Average of over 40MPG on daily runs. Had over 70MPG on an 80 mile trip, sitting on the motorway at 50mph on cruise control.

P300

Perfect all rounder. It has punchy performance, great economy and the reliability has been perfect. I also own a Jaguar I Pace. I bought the two cars a week ago.

Prestige 2.0d

Great looks, great drive, with the auto box and in control App, the remote start for pre-heating/cooling is a brilliant feature. The journey logging feature is also great for easy tracking of business miles. Definitely go for one with the headlight upgrade, the basic ones are pretty dim and remarkably don't come with a headlamp wash level warning! Build quality is good but not quite up to German standards. The sat nav is OK but not the best I've experienced and certainly not as good as BMW.
No breakdowns but had a recall for a potential fuel feed issue, dodgy ad-blue fitment and peculiar fuel filler vapour issue. It's got to go back in again for a rattly trim panel and a failed auto-start/stop issue they couldn't resolve last time.
Even the lower powered Diesel engine shifts reasonably well with a heavy foot in dynamic mode.
The ingenium engine is pretty economical.

petrol

Bought a 2018 XE because I also have a 2015 model, but it's not the same car. It now has bad fuel economy, high road tax and is much slower. Did have 240bhp now have 300hp, but it's slower and doesn't always start or start and runs on 3 cylinders. Love the car but new electronics don't work. Dangerous on roundabouts as it sometimes decides to stop and go when it wants.

Dangerously unreliable electronics.
Handling good. Gear change hit and miss.

False facts from manufacturers. Best 32 mpg

300 r sport

Good comfortable well equipped car but best economy 32 mpg had many jaguars but something has gone wrong with technology dealer can't fix delay on accelerator or car changing gear at wrong time battery goes flat and have to charge every weekend. Now had to make complaint to manufacturer. Everything else is great but a bit dangerous to drive when sometimes won't accelerate.

2 litre diesel

It's fantastic! It's very comfortable and quiet on the move. It's so cheap to run as it only requires 2 year servicing intervals and on my model as it's pre-2017, there's no road fund licence to pay. It's extremely economical, I'm getting circa 60mpg and my insurance premium is similar to my old Ford Focus.

No problems
More than fast enough for me!
Frugal

portfolio

After exchanging my seven year old BMW 320D 4 wheel drive for this Jaguar XE Portfolio, I am very happy with my new purchase.

2.0 d Portfolio

First the plus points: it's a great looking car. It's a driver's car, quick and holds the road well. It's well-equipped as standard although even though mine is a Portfolio and has some optional extras, it doesn't have folding heated door mirrors or a heated quick-clear windscreen, both of which I had on previous cars and I miss not having. Finally the fuel consumption; on a run and without exploiting the sporty performance of the car, I can easily exceed Jaguar's claimed 67mpg. Now the negative points: Jaguar markets the XE as a "sports saloon", well sport certainly, but calling it a saloon is stretching a point. It's low slung and getting in and out is not easy, that is not helped by the low roof line (both of course give it it's great sporty looks!). I can't help but feel a little vulnerable in traffic especially as all-round visibility is not great and I find I'm constantly straining my neck to look around for traffic. Space in the back seats is even more restricted and two adults may find it a little cramped on any more than short journeys. No-one, not even a child, is going to sit comfortably in the middle seat with the low roof, high transmission tunnel and the centre console just a few inches from the back seat. So a 2+2 rather than a saloon. Then there is the boot, you may be able to get a set of golf clubs in there but it won't accommodate much luggage. That's even without a spare wheel, which if you purchase one as I have, has to sit on top of the battery which Jaguar has sited in what would be the spare wheel well. Finally its build quality, although mine has done less than 9,000 miles already has more squeaks and rattles than an Austin Allegro. The worst of which is the back seat which seems to be a common complaint on the XE and XF. It's driving me crazy! Verdict: it's a great looking car and if that's your main reason for buying a car, then the XE might be for you. For me, it's not an easy car to live with and the negatives are too great to be compensated by the looks.

No problems yet, other than that damn back seat.
Good performance overall.
Surprisingly fuel efficient.

diesel 180

I love my Jag XE, it makes me feel so special, just to look at it my heart jumps. It drives wonderfully, the design is contemporary and easy to get on with. Yes some of the materials are below par but most of the materials you frequently touch are of a high quality. The seating position very good although standard lumbar support would have been a bonus. The engine is not as noisy as some authors have suggested, and the back window view is absolutely adequate to negotiate rear traffic approaching. This is, I guess, the hard working persons Jag, it does not shout too loud but certainly gives the satisfaction that you own and drive one of the worlds best, for me that is good enough.

Portfolio 180d

Having had a run of reliability faults with my purchases from VAG (a collection of brands i've been buying for 20 years) I'd finally had enough. Given the utterly snobbish attitude we got from Audi along with the over-priced VW in drag cars meant we went elsewhere. BMW were friendly, accommodating and nearly scored a purchase of a 4 series however my wife just couldn't get to quite like it enough to commit. Mercedes wasn't really what we were looking for and we hadn't even considered a Jag until driving past a dealer and stopped for a look. Whilst originally looking at the XF we decided that for 99% of our need the XE would suffice- I preferred the shorter rear overhang and more aggressive appearance. Service was par excellence with the salesman without question giving us a demonstrator to use for the afternoon. The car feels well built with plenty of toys and tricks to satisfy the asking price was worth it. The equivalent A4 didn't even come with leather and similar spec of ours saw it's sticker price greatly outstrip the Jag. The optional interior colours really allowed us to pick a beautiful contrast to the exterior colour and it gets remarked upon by whoever sees it. On the move the car feels light, lively but utterly stable. It doesn't wander or fidget on long journeys (brush up on that VW) and after only three hours sleep a drive onto the continent felt like a walk in the park. It rides over bumps and lumps with aplomb and punt this thing into a corner and it lets you know it's up for the craic. Driving position is easily nailed for comfort and all controls are close and intuitive. Much better to use than BMW's system though as others have noted the sat-nav is a little clunky and plodding. A minor downside however. For our needs the space inside is bob on and the boot though small has yet to find itself wanting. The engine is noisier than competitors we've tried but I have to be honest it's not bothered me as yet and once at cruising speed everything is nice and quiet. Tracking fuel economy whilst on the move is a doddle using the large central infotainment screen which as stated is so straight forward to use it was a delight to find someone had reached the opinion; 'Shall we not just make it less twatty to use?'. Economy has improved greatly from delivery and our best run has already seen us get 67mpg from it. Though tank is small range is good thanks to thrifty consumption. When ordering the car I felt like i'd relented to the other half. The notion of not buying something German felt counter intuitive and I genuinely stressed the closer the delivery date got, especially as not long before due date Jaguar announced the twin-turbo diesels packing a much meatier wallop. I needn't have worried however because the car is everything we want of it. It's not perfect but it's damned good. Should have ditched Audi years ago.

no problems

2L 180 DIESEL 180 PORTFOLIO

The XE has to be one of the the best looking saloon cars on sale at the moment, and the suspension is fantastic. It's like driving on air. The look and styling of the interior is very modern but I don't like the sloping dash and low air vents. The dealer has been second to none. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there. The biggest problem has been the manual gearbox, which has been absolutely awful. The engine is very noisy and sluggish and you spend most your drive changing gear, but on the motorway – once you're cruising in gear – it's a peach. I wish I had gone for the automatic – my advice is to avoid the manual. The quality for a luxury brand is no means premium – it feels no better than my wife's Kia and can't match BMW. Fuel economy is fantastic, but the body panel fit is rubbish and mine had to go in and have its bonnet realigned twice and it's still no better. The dashboard around the air bag has started to lift up and the corners of the dash airbag panel have bubbled and aren't covered under warranty. The service manager showed me a brand new car and the same fault had already started.
Has never broken down
Mine isn't too good. My Kia Sportage is not as quick on paper but feels better.
Service and and part costs are very high.

240PS Twin Turbo Diesel Auto AWD

Such an amazing car in every way. It's efficient, reliable, practical, economical, comfortable and above all fast and well built. It's decent for families. It has an eye catching design, it's cheap to run and not the most expensive to buy. I highly recommend it to a friend. Thanks Jaguar for yet another brilliant car.

No problems so far as expected. Jaguar makes reliable cars!

Like a raft out of hell!

5 out of 5 running costs.