Jaguar XF owner reviews

“The Jaguar XF is a handsome four-door saloon with plenty of space and competitive running costs that’s also able to satisfy keen drivers”

• Electrics (2 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

2.0d r sport

I was in the market for a new car for 8 years before finding the new XF. After another 8 months wait for the car to be manufactured it was certainly worth the wait. From getting in the driving seat it makes you feel special. A connection that I didn't get in other makes such as BMW Audi and Mercedes. The economy was surprisingly good and I am really pleased with the options. My favourite being parking cameras and sensors and In control pro screen. She may not be perfect with a few electrical niggles but I would certainly make the same choice again. Being designed and built in the UK attracted me to take a test drive and after that moment I was sold:-)

2.0d Portfolio

This generation is a great improvement over previous incarnations and they were pretty good. A Jaguar looks and feels special with great character, something Mercedes BMW and Audi simply cannot match. The car is extremely comfortable and has an impressive turn of speed. The gearbox is far superior to the A6. In car entertainment is very impressive with great connectivity for various apps. The sat nav works quickly and efficiently, streets ahead of German rivals. Most of my journeys are under 20 miles yet the car returns excellent mpg. On the motorway the figures are very impressive. The steering is well weighted and gives great feedback. You always feel in control and it gives you confidence. It is hard not to drive fast on sweeping A and B roads. There is more space in the rear of this latest Jaguar, both headroom and legroom. At the end of the day this is a quality car that never fails to put a smile on my face. I look forward to driving it and never even look for short cuts. Why would you? That would mean less time behind the wheel.

No problems. Excellent reliability

Although only a 2.0 litre this car never feels underpowered. Acceleration is smooth and fast. The engine and gearbox work well together. The eight speed box is smooth and changes are barely perceptible.

Very happy with mpg. Jaguar service costs have always been reasonable since I switched from BMW over five years ago. Local Jaguar dealer is first class.

R sport

Lovely car to drive but had numerous body work issues . The boot lid now for the second time is hitting the bumper!!!! The boot and bumper have been re painted and looks like it will have to be done again..... How can you not get the basics right. Shame but car has to go as I am fussy and jaguar aren't .

Seems good
Good for 2 litre engine
Good

3.0 td V6

2009

Fantastic car. Feels solid, with a comfortable and classy interior. The engine is power and responsive. Handles well and feel well connected with the road. However, very poor reliability. Suffered engine failure due to oil starvation - suspected faulty oil pump. This is apparently a common issue with this engine and therefore beware!

2.0ltr diesel sport 180 bhp

I love this car. The diesel engine is a little noisey if pushed and not as smooth as my old 3ltr XF. Very economical easy to get mid 40's mpg on A-roads. We use it for towing which it does effortlessly. Being an AWD version the road holding is excellent. We found the boot space can be restrictive for holiday luggage, pity it isn't a hatchback. On a car that cost £38,000 it is Disappointing that, at least on the sports version, the rear seats don't fold down. I love the car though, technically it is a big improvement on the old version

So far no problems.
Lively without being exciting.

Excellent economy. Best was a 20 mile journey attaining 62 mpg. Average is 45 mpg solo, 28 mpg towing a 1550 kg caravan.

2.2d Portfolio Auto

My whole experience of owning the XF from new has been a delight; the car, my dealership, the after sales service have all exceeded my expectations. I became tired of arrogant German car dealers, and tried British and will now not buy anything else. Tyre, brake wear and fuel consumption must all be down to how you drive. I managed 48,000 miles on the first set of tyres, the rear pads need to be changed at 40,000 and the front pads lasted until 70k. Admittedly a good proportion of my driving is on the motorway, but I am rarely overtaken and will regularly average above 55MPG on long Journeys; if it is less than 50 MPG / 50MPH then the traffic has been really bad. The only fault I've experienced was a window motor that failed after about 6 months. It was replaced under warranty with no issues whatsoever. The electronics interface on my 2014 model is perfectly useable but is not great when compared to that of a good tablet and what you can get now.

Firm and responsive, fantastic auto gearbox - the 2.2d is plenty quick enough.

2.0 diesel

Used for various trips, but not for journeys of less than 8 miles. Car is fine to drive, although underpowered compared to previous 3.0 turbo diesel XF. The problem lies with the optional extra wide media screen - it has malfunctioned since delivery, and Jaguar seem unable to get the CD player to work. This is particularly annoying since I purchased the optional extra specifically for the CD player, as I own a large library of CDs. Ironically I also own a Suzuki Jimny for short trips on the country lanes, and the CD player in that works perfectly - at a fraction of the price of the Jaguar.

XFR

A really top notch looking very comfortable driver's car with lots of power and great interior trim. Fantastic! Very responsive with precise steering with excellent and effortless overtaking ability highly recommended especially if you purchase one with extra options such as blind spot monitoring and adaptive cruise control along with front seat door sill plate Jaguar lighting. drawbacks very few. Slightly cramped rear seat legroom and dated infotainment car control screen. somewhat thirsty fuel consumption but it is an XFR! Maintenance costs negligible if you look after it and keep it garaged. Reliability is very good. No breakdowns or function breakdowns in over three years of ownership with the car now just six years old. I like the car very much and look forward to the odd random out of town country driving in it. Overall, I rate it as an excellent super Sports Saloon car that's rare in numbers and destined to be a future classic Jaguar car.

excellent

Excellent I intend to increase its power output to 600hp.

Its a high powered big engined supercharged car so don't expect low fuel costs to run it.

2.2 premium luxury

More than 5 years

A beautiful, comfortable car that looks and feels good. Recently had a problem with the engine not responding to stepping on the accelerator - in fact it stops.

2.0 Sportbrake

2019

Had the car a few months and the media system would occasionally mute. After another month and an infotainment software update it would only occasionally work. No radio, parking sensors, hands free, sat nav audio. Called my local Jaguar dealer to be informed it would probably take a day to fix, but there were no appointments in the next 2 weeks and they could drop me off in the city centre where their assumption would be I could get a bus to my office 6 miles away. No offer of a courtesy car. No offer of a pick up. I purchased the car from another dealership and called them. Yes, I could drive the car 60 miles and leave the car with them for a day. Contacted Jaguar with no solution provided. JLR has a software issue with their cars which they are aware of, but the customer ends up with the inconvenience and cost. Taking a day off to get this fixed for me is my only option. This is a Jaguar issue. The local dealer doesn't care as he didn't get the sale. The selling dealer would help, but they are 60 miles away. Jaguar doesn't want to know. Try driving a car without any audio, or even worse where the audio might decide to work.

Infotainment system software has a major bug.

2.0s Sport

The XF looked good on paper and the Sport version is comfortable and economical. However, it has not been reliable and the design of the electronic controls / satellite navigation is poor. My car has been returned 3 times in 17 months for faults, the last time 3 faults in one 1 visit. The navigation system is particularly poor sometimes taking you off the motorway due to traffic only to take you back on, at the same junction.

Poor

Economical - especially on motorways. Can achieve 60mpg

S (X260) 3.0d V6

I drive an absolute stunning looking 2016 XFS in Dark sapphire blue metallic. It has one of the comfiest seats I've sat in from any car. The car feels great on the road and fun when needing to quickly overtake slow moving traffic, it also handles really well. This was purchased as a nearly new car, only having 12000 on the clock at £30000 with upgraded Dual screen +Meridians 380w speaker system. Before I bought this I had a couple of XE's and XF's which had similar issues with the bluetooth disconnecting and I assumed that the upgraded version would have improved this issue. The basic push button version allows you to see - and have the car read your text as they appear. The car would let you see the vehicle information whilst driving (tyre pressures, service etc) overall clunky-but definitely not state of the art... Hence the purchase of the upgraded infotainment system. Now for the bad points of the upgraded infotainment. Within a couple of days I had Bluetooth problems where it disconnects my phone and locks up. Only having to stop the car, turning the engine off for a couple of minutes to reset the system. Oh the stress of that knowing you've only got another two hours to go to get home... Now here is a full list of faults on my car.... No text messages. 6 months later, Jaguar technical says my car doesn't support it, yet an XF model with the 10"screen does, so does an E-pace with the same 10" single display. I later heard that the dual display can't handle the additional data. JLR's excuse is my car is version 1 yet I recently drive a 19 plate XF with the infotainment system and surprisingly exactly the same!!! During the full JLR technical tests they have carried out various updates, replaced my IMBC module. Causing two weeks with no audio and a month with no sat nav! These updates are still going on now with problems going on now... No vehicle information on the dash, tyre pressures etc. JLR day is a safety feature!!! Yet as I've said the lower shows them!??? Bluetooth constantly disconnected. First the Passenger door card started to creak. now both front door cards in the same place. Bottom corner near lock between the plastic door panel and the leather part. Low level noise but your aware of it occasionally creaking. Door cards vibrating. The meridian speakers sound like their built into a cornflakes lkes box!!! And that's with the bass at 0, sub at 0. Various sounds from radio, voicemail, Bluetooth calls. The rubber seal on the boot had to be replaced as a quiet recall was carried out. This caused the boot door to rub the paint off the rear bumper... This was resprayed under warranty. The drivers side B pillar seat belt enclosure sounds like a Parker pen is constantly clicking in my ear. The sunroof also had a creaking noise which was "repaired" with lots of black silicone all over!!! Also losing a piece of plastic trim in the repairing process. On the next service, it's going to need Pads and Discs all round. Discs are corroding excessively, yet another fault with this car. It's not even 3 years old and it's ONLY GOT 37, 000 ON THE Clock. Now since I've had this car at up to now 15/16 months this has been out of my possession for a total of 100 days. And its still got the same faults... Black horse finance have been no help and as yet neither has the financial ombudsman who's dragged this on an additional 9 months and counting. So the interior is below sub-quality. It's such a shame as I still love the look of her and when I forget for that split second I get a warm feeling, then when I'm sitting in I get the sinking deflated feeling of been abandoned with a Friday car. Anyone thinking of buying a Jag - please don't.

2.0d Portfolio

Having previously owned the XF 2.2 premium luxury and being more than happy, I did not think that the new 2.0d could compete. I paid a visit to the showroom simply to have a look and came away with a beautiful quartzite Xf with brogue brown interior. The engine is smoother and faster. The auto gearbox, supposedly the same as previous is now massively improved due to presumably updated software or maybe the better engine. Gear changes are now barely perceptible. Average fuel economy is up by around 10mpg to 45mpg. Any sort of distance motorway run takes the figure up to 55, I have no doubt that 60mpg is achievable. I am always sceptical listening to sales 'executives' but in this instance he was not exaggerating, this car is absolutely superb and a joy to be in.

So far so good.

This cannot be a 2.0-litre engine!

Far better than expected

2.0 Diesel 180 Portfolio

Good looking luxury car. Very economical for such a large car. Diesel engine is a bit noisy from cold, but good ride and handling even on 19 inch wheels. 2 year servicing is a bonus although this doesn't link well with the MOT. My car has some additional extras which would have made the new car over £40K and a lot more inroad tax from 1 April. Mine is just £30 per year. Now it would be more than £2000 over the first 5 years. Overall I'm very happy with the car.
Air conditioning is currently not working effectively on the drivers side and the car is due to go in soon for warranty rectification.
Performance is more than adequate for me.

Unbelievable economy for such a large car. Adblue is an additional cost but so far has only required topping up once and is relatively cheap on eBay.

2.0L D Prestige

The car is okay but not exceptional, I had the previous model which was a much better all rounder. The ventilation control switch is small and difficult to operate without taking your eyes off the road and the electric window switches are placed too far forward on the drivers door so that every time it's operated you end up opening the back windows by mistake. This is my fifth jaguar and will be my last because this model does not have a CD player (which was not advertised although it was pictured in the brochure) and I only found out when I took delivery. I took this up with the unhelpful people at jaguar who told me that you can't even fit one retrospectively. Only 23 months to go and I can get rid of the irritating thing!

The car is reliable

Poor performance, harsh engine and poor auto box
Running costs are within budget

2.2 diesel

I think this is a brilliant car. Great looks, superb interior and pretty good economy. The car certainly gets admiring looks from others and is a joy to drive. The car was two years old when I bought it and it has not had any problems to date.

2.0D r-sport

The problems with my XF started immediately after signing the papers for the car, I noticed a paint chip on the door, the salesman told me to claim on my insurance, after kicking up a fuss the door was resprayed. Oh how I wish I had rejected the car at that point. The next fault was non-operational air conditioning. I was told by the dealers the A/C was not gassed up at the factory and this was an issue with many Jaguar cars. The next fault was a DEF quality warning light on, that took 3 days to fix.Then, when the dashboard indicator light was not working, 4 months to obtain a replacement instrument panel. There's a massive vibration on the manual gearbox, Jaguar's comments are that this is a characteristic of the car. Also the gearbox has issues selecting gears, this has left me with no drive in the middle of oncoming traffic. Jaguar couldn’t care less about this. I've had issues with the heating not working correctly, kicking out hot air from one vent and cold from the other then the heating stops and just kicks out cold air. After several days in the garage I’ve given up getting this fixed. The alternator was replaced after failing – the car had to be recovered by Jaguar assist. There are loads of small irritating software issues with the ICE/phone system – apparently they are known issues but Jaguar only do software updates on the premium ICE systems. There's lots of wind noise and rattles, I've had the dashboard removed and refitted a couple of times to no effect. However since Autoglass replaced the windscreen and found it hadn’t been sealed in correctly in the first place it has been much better. In all in the first 18 months of ownership the car has spent 30 days in the garage for faults. All in all this has been the worst car I’ve ever owned, I’m now cutting my losses and handing the car back early; it's worth paying the penalty to get rid.

Awful

Good handling, way underpowered from rough engine