In-depth reviews

Nissan Qashqai owner reviews

"The Nissan Qashqai is a practical SUV with the running costs of a hatchback, and a facelift has only increased its appeal"

• Electrics, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine (9 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Other (5 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (4 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (3 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (9 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (8 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (3 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Suspension (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Suspension, Other (1 cases)

1.2T

I have owned 30+ cars over the years and this Qashqai is by far the worst of them all. Problems with electrics, climate control, suspension, climate control again, suspension again, electrics again etc. Dealer "experience" left a lot to be desired. I have owned 4 nissans before the Qashqai and had no trouble. In fact Nissan used to be known for their reliability but since the merger with Renault, quality has deteriorated. It takes a long time to build a good reputation but not long to lose it. I am far from the only person who has had problems. Would I buy another? A definite no. I have sold the car now that it is out of warranty as keeping it would have been too risky and too expensive

1.5 DCI 360

The car is a 2013 plate, 7 seat, top spec, just covered 48k, the car is really nice, cruises the motorway, returns 48mpg (combined), we have had 8 full services in this time, we also use fuel additives to keep the EGR valve and DPF tip top, its really looked after well, we actually bought this engine spec due to advice that no EGR or DPF issues. The reason for posting, is that the car returned engine codes and entered "slow mode", all indicating low boost pressure, we took the car to our local (excellent) diesel specialist who confirmed that the turbo and possibly the inlet (that controls flow into the turbo) needs replacing, I was gobsmacked, on 48k covered! Cost of parts and labour will be £1,000, ouch! And by the way he confirmed that the engine, DPF and EGR are clean as a whistle and we are driving and looking after it correctly. They also added that they have just repaired the same issue on the same engine on another car, but one that had only covered 24k miles and the inlet "flap" had detached and gone into the turbo! Hopefully this information will help someone. I'm not negative, the actual car, room, is excellent, however our experience is that the engine is not so good, or, the bits that bolt onto the engine are not so good.

Turbo failure at 48k miles covered

Cant fault the power of the 1.5 dci .......when it works

1.6 Diesel

I have regretted buying my Nissan since I bought it two years ago. The problems I have had include: 1 October 2014 - Satellite Navigation and Radio system – failed to operate within the first few weeks of ownership and required an update to the software. 2 February 2015 - Within the first couple of months of ownership I received a call from the garage to bring in the car for a replacement fitting of door sash, tow bar kit, FE brake recall, alarm recall, automatic speed control device. 3 February 2015 and October 2015 - Three new tyres due to slow punctures and bare tread – a result of the tyre pressure gauge failing to inform me of the need to pump up the tyres. The tyres felt and visibly looked fine – yet the garage strongly insisted that new tyres were required. 4 March 2016 - Faulty key fob causing temperamental access to the vehicle (this has been an issue since purchase – despite the garage confirming that the issue has been rectified) 5 March 2016 - New front windscreen due to faulty electronics - in cold weather only the left hand side of the windscreen heated up and cleared, with visibility for the driver terrible. The car was returned to us a week later still dirty inside and out with the manufacturing/inventory sticker still on the replacement windscreen as well as an oily residue from being fitted. This time I was eventually provided with a Nissan Micra ‘courtesy’ car despite having been told on several occasions previously that it would take two months before I could be provided with a car. 6 March 2016 and May 2016 - Faulty hand brake / brake fluid. I was told this problem was with the battery and had been fixed but this lead to very severe problems over the coming months including brake failure and the car needing a whole new breaking system. When the brakes failed (incidentally, at a cross junction with my children in the car) I took the car to the Nissan garage but was not given a courtesy car and had to walk 2.5 miles to work and back again. I was made to feel belittled having to beg for a hire car when I went back to the garage later that day. Again I was given a Nissan Micra and had this car for again over a week. 7 March 2016 and May 2016 - Faulty rear seat belt (used by a child) which fails to lock stiff when pulled. This was looked at twice by Nissan before being fixed. 8 May 2016 – October 2016 - Fault with air conditioning which took three months to fix due to the part having a back log and the amount of time taken to offer a courtesy car. Nissan knew this fault was occurring with cars but didn’t recall the car and waited for me to report this fault. 9 5 September 2016 – 3 October 2016 - car was with Nissan due to an intermittent electrical fault (impacting dashboard lights, front seat movement, sun roof and wing mirrors) which is the second time it has been in without resolution. The first time the car went in with this issue was in August 2016. They couldn't find the fault despite having the car for five weeks. I have complained to Head Office but they are not interested. My advice, DON'T BUY THIS CAR! Waste of money!

Always in the garage getting fixed. My car has spent over two months in the garage since February this year! It is less than three years old!

1.5dci Tekna

Would certainly not recommend purchasing this car. Although the only let down has mainly been the engine, rest of the car is very nice. Over the year this car has had 2 x new turbos, 1 x nissan connect unit (stereo) and three weeks after the second turbo has been fitted I now have an engine warning light. Previous to this year main issues were the keys (taken in at least every month) and a couple of recalls.

1.5 DCI Tekna

All seemed well then the dreaded recall letter from Nissan. Please bring it in for essential soft ware updates less then 3 months after purchase Then the problems commenced service warnings 12000 before due traffic speed sensors intermittent faults but serious showing 60mph in a 30 mph and vice versa. Far Far Far too many settings for all the gadgets leaves you at times wanting to cry when you don't know how to restore reset or even switch on off basic controls Nissan in Sunderland customer care beware if you contact have an appalling attitude you must be wrong it's no fault of our cars. Sorry don't rate British workmanship this is what I describe as a lemon car built assembled Friday afternoon and quality checked by someone at 4:55pm brain dead. The interior is no luxury on top spec just basic leather on seats door trims cheap thin rubber seals cheap plastic interior trims.

Poor constant engine management error messages and inaccurate speed data which could have serious consequences

Too early but costing £££££ each time 80 mile return trip to nearest dealer

Disappointed MPG no where near so called sales and marketing hype. No matter how you drive!

1.5DCI Premium Plus

57.6
Nissan - Main Dealer & Franchise Poor Service All the Motoring Press rated this car when it came out in 2013, What Car crowned it best SUV 2 years running. Though what you see printed for a long weekend press trial to actually living with it on a daily basis are opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a Co. Allowance which I chose the Nissan Qashqai 1.5cc DCI Premium Plus 99 Co2 Emissions with a 74.6MPG the car comes with metallic Ink Blue paintwork, SatNav Hands Free Phone, Google / Facebook Interaction and standard alloy wheels. The Qashqai overall has presence on the road, it's quite tall and wide with plenty of room for both driver (6ft 3") and passengers, the boot is of a good standard and can quite easily accommodate luggage or your pet dog. When taking delivery of the Qashqai I note that on the Drivers side, where the windscreen wiper sits, it has taken paint of the edge of the bonnet, the windscreen wipers themselves have been fitted incorrectly as they constantly smear the window and obstruct the drivers line of sight. (Nissan Dealership sent back 4 X Times to be correctly adjusted) The Qashqai offers a panoramic view from the roof? I don't quite understand the logic in this, as unlike the Kia Sportage or Audi Q3 / 5 you are unable to open the roof. When asked Nissan they said it was for the rear passengers to view, whilst air conditioning was switched on, to give that ambient feel??? The Qashqai certainly does not return 74.6MPG at best of times, during Motorway coverage at a speed of 56MPH in cruise control it will return 62.4MPG around town it will return 57MPG. I've had the Qashqai for 2 years and 3 months and covered 46,000 miles in this time I've had a new set of front tyres, 1 blowout on the rear and the rears are due a change in another 4,000 miles. The problems I've incurred with the Qashqai are as follows, The SatNav has periodically decided to shut down or freeze not allowing you to use the entertainment, hands free phone or satnav. The Google / Facebook Interaction is connected to your data roaming via your mobile phone, you have to register this with Nissan having followed the Instructions and registering I note that you are none the wiser and I gave up! The steering column has a piece of plastic which seems to crack when making a turn, again this went to a Nissan Main Dealer, in which having had the Qashqai for almost a week would have been fixed, No they greased the steering column up as per quota there T&C's in line with the Warranty? This has now continued for a second time, the air conditioning unit leaks from underneath the car every time you stop having had the unit switched on, and most recently decided to switch itself of and not work at all. I then went to put the heater to cold and this was just making a noise from the motor and no air coming out. I've also experienced a large leak from the gear box, the cause a split gaiter.... Terms of driving experience, I find it quite a punchy engine between 1st - 3rd gears, though the gearbox is quite clunky to say the least, and the steering can be somewhat vague at times, hence why I choose the option of sport mode which instil some confidence. The low beam of the lights compared to other motorists seems to be somewhat dull if you choose the halogen option. Although I like the looks of the Qashqai and I'm to live with it for a further 20 months, I'm sure that there will be future problems, fingers crossed there are not... If I was looking to buy a SUV I would more than likely pay the extra expense of a premium brand like BMW / Audi / Mercedes Benz for assurance and piece of mind, as the Germans seem to know what there doing, unlike a Japanese Brand but a Car Designed and Manufactured in the UK with lets be fair an appalling Nissan Customer Aftercare Service.

1.5dci Tekna

I received my car in June 2014, & a month later I took it back to my local Nissan dealer, complaining about excessive wind noise from the drivers door & the radio turning its self off. The drivers door required a new seal & the radio, an update, which seemed to cure the problem. Two months later, when I returned from a holiday, and removed my car from my newly laid drive, I found a oil patch underneath my car. Once again the car was taken to my local dealer, who claimed he was very busy, and would get to the car, when he could. 20 days later & my car wasn't even started, I contacted Nissan Uk complaints, who had my car fixed & returned, within 48hrs. The oil leak was from the mid engine seal, that needed replacing. Nissan Uk also paid for my drive, to be cleaned & fixed. Just before its 1st service, I noticed a rattle coming from underneath the bonnet. This turned out to be a loose air box, which they re-tightened. 6-8 months later I had the same rattle, which I thought I would wait till its 2nd service was due. What surprises I had when it went for its second service, a nice little video sent to me, showing the gearbox on my car was leaking. Another 3 days in the garage, whist a main gearbox seal was replaced, and they noticed a oil leak from the timing cover, whilst they were doing this. The leak had contaminated the timing belt, so a new timing belt & seal was required. Also the air con unit was found to only contain 18% liquid, that was why my air con was so rubbish & the air box rattle, required a modernised bracket, Nissan have made to cure this common problem. Now a month later my car is waiting to go back in, for another rattle problem coming from the engine, a lot worse than the previous rattles. Still awaiting the news on what this problem is. This was my 1st Nissan & definitely my last, & at £26000 it has been the worst car I have every owned, was definitely a "Friday afternoon" car.

With all the problems I have had with my car, the reliability is definite poor.

For a 1.5dci engine in this size car, the engine has quite good performance. The only problem I find, is a dead spot, when accelerating in 2nd gear, which can causes you problems when pulling out on to roundabouts.
The 1 thing going for this car, is its running cost. I average between 62-65 mpg on a motorway journey, which is where most of my mileage is done.

1.2 n.tech +

After rattles. Faulty sensor faulty braking yes you read right faulty braking slamming on at 70 mph .breaking down and towed no less than 4 times . Faulty battery .faulty stop start .. list goes on the biggest load of rubbish I've ever owned .. everytime it went back to Nissan they stated they couldn't find any faults ..but still kept it 3 weeks while rep used it for shopping and computing .gave us another as courtesy car which had faulty sensor then broke down .... I'd never buy again

1.2 petrol manual

I bought the car from Desira, Vulcan Road, Norwich in March 2016. When I arrived to collect it the battery was dead. I waited 2.5 hours while they charged it. A few weeks later I was unable to drive it for 10 days through ill-health. When I came back to it, the battery was again dead. RAC got it going but the battery died again after 3 week's moderate use. The second RAC report said that the battery was defective and should be replaced. However, Desira have just charged and tested it, and say there is no fault. I know it will go flat again within days to weeks - so what do I do?

1.6 Acenta

Paid £25,000 for this car I would have got a far superior car for just £1,000 - too many faults to mention and I expect a new problem every time I get in it, with another manufacturer that would be sort of ok as I would trust their warranty and mechanics to fix at no cost. Nissan customer service is a contradiction - dealer moves the goalpost on why the fault is mine and not theirs, getting a car or lift home whilst car in garage is practically impossible. I think they don't care because they are making a fortune from drivers paying for all these faults, a repair that fails after just 6 weeks is blamed on the driver. Worst car I have ever owned and I am in my 50s!

N-tec+

Disappointed with build quality for a 2015 car - reminds me of a 1999 Freelander I once owned ( brand new ) when no problems and very happy, I but know this will be short-lived. Rattles from roof, battery failed ( replaced after second fail ) now finding used values dropping like a stone. It cost 24k now valued @ 16k in under a year and only 5k miles. Fuel consumption very good - 67 mpg on a run.

Only just acceptable
Acceptable

Excellent

1.2 N-Tec+ auto

Had the car for 3 weeks and there was an oil leak. Ithaca been in the garage for a week to fix, there was no auto courtesy car available at a main dealer so they got one the next day from a car hire company after me hassling them. When car was repaired had no-one available to return the car to me again so I have had to insist they sort it out. This is Nissan Leicester and the customer service appalling.

Oil leak within 2 weeks. Need I say more....
Nice to drive.

Mpg not as advertised.

1.2

Bought this car brand new, and using it daily most of the time in the city and short countryside trips. Since I bought it as soon as it came to dealer (fresh model) it had few small issues like rattles in door, window seal missing etc... otherwise it is really good family car. 1.2 turbo engine is really refined and has some decent performance. If you are going to use it mainly in town then it's best choice. Only time when I wish it had more power is on highway and with 4 people inside. I bought Acenta trim level and it comes with bunch of stuff including rear camera which is very useful since visibility is not the best part of this car. Connect system is a must by my opinion. Would I buy this car again? Definitely- if it continues to serve me well as it has so far. What I would like to be better? Plastics inside and finish. That definitely could be better.

1.6 5dr

Have previously owned the Note and a Qashqai from new and loved them - have had nothing but problems with this new one and am bitterly disappointed. Stop/Start has been a constant problem - stops and does not start!! Sick of the 'battery has to have enough power in it' excuse. Even when this 'facility' has been disabled with the button - the car will grind to a halt with an ERROR message popping up and remaining on the dashboard - STOP/START SYSTEM FAULT. This has happened on many occasions and in rush hour traffic, with my disabled daughter in the car - we have had to endure the uncontrollable anger of impatient, angry drivers (always men I would have to say) who have felt it necessary to unleash their rage at us - very distressing and scary for us both. I have - as I always do - read the hand book for my vehicles (geek I know!) and believe me I know perfectly well how to drive - even though I have been asked if I am sure that I am driving the car properly - a comment that would NOT be made to a man. Reverse gear - has on occasion failed to engage (yes - I am VERY proficient at reversing) and has left myself and my daughter in some dicey situations. I could go on - but if I did this review would never end! Suffice it to say - do not want to keep this car. And of course - according to the experts - there's no problem at all!

1.2 Accenta

We originally bought FP64EBJ. After just five days it ended up at Nissan Derby with electrical problems. Five weeks later and after changing brake sensors, minor ECU, major ECU, and trying various other things, they still did not have a clue what was wrong. I rejected the car under fitness for purpose, and they replaced it with a brand new model. On the 2nd of January I drove to Spain in it (this was the plan all along). Nine weeks and just 2,500 miles later. I've lost gears 3, 4, 5 and 6. It is now in a garage in Spain, I haven't got a car to drive, they still have not diagnosed the fault, and the list goes on and on... Nissan customer services are, to be honest, appalling. Especially at the Directors office! This is the second brand new Qashqai in a matter if months... it's a heap of crap, worst mistake in car buying I've ever made. Don't believe the hype, the only thing it's good for is the scrap yard. I will never buy another Nissan.

Two cars, first car on the road for five days. In the garage for five weeks, still not diagnosed. Second one, a replacement car for the first one. On the road for 2,500 miles, lost gears. After nearly two weeks, no diagnosis as yet.

Not good.

Extremely expensive, as taxis and hire cars cost a fortune when it is in a garage.

1.6 DCI Tekna

I changed to the Qashqai from an Evoque with some trepidation but I have been stunned by the Qashqai. It is quiet, refined, fantastic to drive and I needn't have worried. Personally, I like the appearance and the interior is much better than I expected it to be... Small criticisms, there are one or two places where the materials feel unnecessarily cheap... e.g. Petrol cap and flap

1.2 Auto

Disappointing is the only word that best describes this vehicle. Within 1 week on collecting my new car this is what i noticed: Fuel economy as low as 27 mpg. Smell from engine compartment that travels into the vehicle. Bonnet not aligned and raised from the passenger side. Heating system does not work as it should - temperature works on only two settings, hot between 23 and 16 degrees and cold only when set on Low. After 4,000 miles, I can see very dark soot coming from the exhaust pipe - this probably explains the low mpg. Extremely noisy cabin with every minor noise leaking into the cabin. I complained to Nissan and received no reply. So much for customer service for a car voted best SUV. Paid over £23k for this car. Not at all happy and extremely disappointed with my decision to buy this vehicle. I used to drive an Audi A8, 3.0 diesel Quattro which gave me well over 40 mpg on the motorway and my Nissan gives me at best 33 mpg on a long motorway drive.

1.6 Diesel Tecnic 2wd

First Nissan after lots of Toyotas. Private purchase. Excellent build, fit & finish. Panoramic roof helps make interior more spacious. Good driving position. Comfortable over a variety of roads. Surefooted. 1.6 diesel is an excellent motorway cruiser, quiet & fairly powerful. No reliability issues in 16K of motoring. Stereo sounds tinny, and the sat-nav graphics are poor are only minor gripes. Dog loves it. And its British!

1.2 dig-t Acenta Premium Storm White

Bought my demonstrator Qashqai a few months ago from a Nissan dealer with only several hundred miles on the clock. Not had any problems and have loved every minute of driving the car. I've had so many cars in the last few years so can confidently say this is one of the best cars I've owned. The build quality, whilst not up to BMW standards, is very good although the absence of door cill plates/protectors is a bit cheap in my opinion. I have bought some stainless steel ones of ebay to protect the paintwork. One of the best features of this car is the refinement, it's so quiet! I cannot tell if the engine is on. I test drove the 1.5dci and that was very quiet as well but due to short journeys and some DPF problems on previous cars I decided to avoid the diesel. Technology on this car is brilliant, the auto full beam and traffic sign recognition are my favorites although the lane departure has been handy driving home from a night shift! I really like my music and was worried about the reviews of the system but to be honest I think it's quite good, it's no Bang & Olufsen but it's acceptable to most ears. The interior is a really nice place to be and is very nicely lit at night. The engine: It's no powerhouse but it has more than enough power for our needs with a young child on board. It's averaging late 30's/early 40's in the winter with mostly town driving. Have gone back to petrol after many years using diesel, the turbo on the this petrol makes it much more usable and whilst lacking the torque of the diesel I have not once regretted my decision. Ride: This is my only bug bear. On the whole the ride is excellent but occasionally small bumps intrude into the cabin or more to the point the dashboard. I am a bit fussy when it comes to ride and I find it acceptable. This was one of the main reasons I didn't go for the Tekna spec as this has 19's. My premium has 17's with a 60 profile tyre which I think helps alot to soak up the bumps. Gearbox: One of the best i've had, up there with VAG. Storm White whilst an expensive option at £700 is well worth it and makes the car stand out. Panoramic roof is brilliant, lets lots of light in and will no doubt in the future give my daughter something to stare at.

Automatic

After reading all the rave reviews I bought a brand new top-of-the-range Qashqai Tekna with all the extras and took delivery on 1st Sep. I was so pleased... the sales guys were great. However, just 2 months later the car stopped working properly, speeding up on its own, slowing down on its own, racing off without warning! So I took it to my nearest dealer in Derby, they said it needed a new gearbox and that it would take a couple of weeks to get one in, here I am six weeks later and still no car, I have to say with my hand on my heart I have never received such poor aftersales service in my entire adult life to date! I am 50 years old female and disabled, and after a test drive and as it was recommended to me I made the purchase. How wrong a choice could I have made! This has totally ruined my Christmas plans to visit my family. I suggest they get their customer services up to scratch as from where I am sitting I would be reluctant to ever recommend to anyone ever! Yes you got me a hire car, but all the controls were on the right and that happens to be the arm I have problems with! Why couldn't Nissan give me something I can drive without being left in pain! Very disappointed.

1.5 DCi Acenta

Very good vehicle, no problems recorded for 9,500 kms in 4 months. I found it very useful in off-road excursions with my family, whereas the average consumption is about 5.5 l/km. In motorways, with 120 km/h it is about 4.9-5.0 l/km, for such car it is more than awesome. I would love to have the same quality of plastics for the rear seats, whereas I can not find any disadvantage for the time of writing. I would of course recommend it to my friends.

1.5 DCi Tekna

Comfortable and still looks quite stylish on the outside. The tech inside is a bit dated now - no Apple CarPlay for instance. Annoying crash warning system is rubbish. Annoying mystery rattle on the dashboard, exactly the same as the previous X-Trail we had. The most concerning thing about this car is the engine. The 1.5 Dci unit is gutless low down - sometimes dangerously slow when pulling away it will sometimes lack any power before very slowly increasing until the turbo kicks in.

Qashqai N-Connecta Dci

I found Nissan service seemed poor. The garage doesn't want to see the car for a year, which seems crazy for a new car. I had no follow-up and would feel happier if they showed a bit more interest after selling me the car. Poor points 1: rain drips in off roof if windows even slightly open 2: £650 Gimmicks are nice but in hindsight, and in use, not really worth having.....cameras, sunroof etc. 3: Would have been nice to have differing tones for lane change, speed cameras etc. Also a warning gong if going over speed sign limits. Must be easily attainable given it can read speed signs anyway. 4: The armrest on the door and centre console are very slippery, so elbows slide off. The sat nav screen is useless in sun and bright light. The speedo clocks are nice and bright and clear in all conditions. 5: The sat nav has nice clear voice commands combined with an in-dash screen display. Though often the turn command comes far too late and you miss the turning. Also, it rarely shows the best route, and sometimes takes you off an exit and back down the other side. Rarely uses the proper route it should. 6: Dashboard glare obscures screen vision in sunlight at anything higher than 11 o'clock 7: The seating is not very comfortable, you sit on the seat rather than in it. Head restraint design miles away from head unless seat in vertical. Seat material poor, in that it allows everything placed on seats to slide off readily. 8: It's impossible to rest arms on door with window open whilst driving as door design is too high. 9: The lane departure warning system switches off when your indicators used (nice thoughtful touch) 10: Poor design of fuel filler, allows flooding. No real problems though and it drives like a new car should so I can't complain. I've had it for six months and about 4000 miles. It's OK. The MPG is nothing like claimed and I only plod along.

No problems
Not bad.
Not bad, but not as good as claimed

1.6 diesel Tekna CVT auto

Was so excited about this car when I purchased it but has been nothing but trouble. Issues included: - gearbox faults (CVT) - paint cracking on roof rails (replaced once but happening again) - parking sensor fault - parking sensor buzzer fault - tyres needed replacing after around 10000 miles - windscreen washer pump issue - misaligned body panels - hands free system awful sound quality - sat nav/ radio system crashing - suspension creaking - rattles And poor service from both dealerships used Won't be buying from Nissan again

1.5 connecta

Runs well with a nice smooth ride and quiet engine with good acceleration. It's an underrated car in my opinion.

NTec

I thought i could trust Nissan as I did with their Maxima back in 2000. The car simply does not have a nice ride, it's noisy, there are a lot of blind spots, a faulty audio system which can't connect to the Facebook app. Start stop system failed, the right side door is mis- aligned. The bodywork is easily scratched. faulty brake cover that might break the oil pipe which is the new 2017 recall. I will never ever buy Nissan product and will not recommend this car to anybody.

1.2 turbo

Excellent performance with high fuel economy.

1.5L diesel

Love, love, love my Qashqai! High comfortable driving position but easy for me to get in and out of (I'm 5'2"). Everything is within easy reach and plenty of room for 5 adults. Very reliable and excellent fuel consumption. One one trip it managed 92.4 miles per gallon, outstanding! I would certainly recommend this car.

1.5 dci N-Connecta

Don't let a few negative reviews put you off buying what really is a superb car. 2 million sold and a couple of dozen 1 star ratings don't really paint an accurate picture of this car. Yes of course there will be people who have had issues and it's generally those that find their way to review sites but having read these reviews and I can tell you a lot of the criticisms are unfounded and incorrect. Let's take the stop/start system as an example. How many people have gone back saying it doesn't work all the time? Well I can tell you all, you're all correct, it doesn't. The car's ecu has to have a few criteria met before it activates, so no fan on, engine temperature correct, battery charge acceptable etc. and then it works just fine. I've read countless reviews about the rubbish fuel economy and Nissans vastly over exaggerated figures. Well I drove from Cardiff to Exeter this morning with cruise control on at a steady 60 due to the traffic, and averaged 78.6mpg. Just incredible. I rarely get less than 60 on any journey be it local or motorway. Yes you have to drive gently but that's how I drive and why I bought it. My DAB works flawlessly and never loses channels, I have no squeaks or rattles and having covered just under 2000 miles in my first three months of ownership, am extremely happy. It has its annoyances like any car does - I hate not having one touch electric windows all rounds, it bleeps at me incessantly, and I'm forever leaving the key inside the car or turning the engine off while the windows are down and I'm constantly zapped by static when I get out. Also, don't get a black one, they're buggers to keep clean and Qashqais in general - everyone and his dog seems to have one. On the plus side, I love the dab, the panoramic sunroof, the economy, the look of the car, the refinement and quietness, the comfort....... I could go on, but I think I've said all I need to. Well done Nissan.

Tekna Diesel

Bought in July, the car coped for the thirst few months, however after this many issues with the multimedia display began to occur. The radio to this day still plays up, for example, it would tell you Capital is playing yet it's really Radio 2, the screen also switches off at random times, the navigation lags and shows the car to be driving across fields when really you're situated on a road and the DAB radio works one day yet not another. This being EXTREMELY annoying it gets worse... the heated seats on the 'high' setting would try to cook you alive making the experience highly uncomfortable whilst the car would decide to turn the demister on 'MAX' and other A/C facilities would fail to respond to requests. On this matter, the temperature of the air feeding through to the car takes a significantly long time to update, the car also steams up regularly on the windows and with such a faulty A/C set up it proves a real difficulty to solve. Additionally, wind noise is extremely loud and makes each journey very unpleasant. The rear door sills have also come loose as well as the sunshade breaking due to it brushing over a highly-placed item within the car, consequently resulting in a dislodged, half-working sunshade- in my eyes this is a design fault. When buying, don't be deceived by the highly impressive list of standard equipment. Many of these features are very good and useful (i.e Auto-dimming lights) however there's no point having a car with all these features when it cannot perform simple tasks like changing radio stations. Coming from a BMW 3 series touring and having few to none issues I'm extremely unimpressed and will never be buying a Nissan again.

Acenta Plus 1.2 DIG-T

Bought the car in April 2014. Minor issue after a few weeks old with the DAB radio failing to pick up stations which was solved with a software update. Ongoing issue in that the front parking sensors seems to get water logged after a downpour and beep when driving. Nissan do not have a fix as new ones do the same thing. Very comfortable ride and easy to drive. Having the smallest engine was a lifestyle choice. I don't do enough frequent trips to run the diesels, as the modern use of DPF means longer jourenys are required to keep them optimal. I do lots of short jounery and occasional longer ones. The 1.2 is very lively out and about, but you do have to drive it hard and make appropriate use of the gearbox if you want to get a shift on along the motorway. The ONLY niggle I have, and it is a bit petty, is that it would have been nice for Nissan to have spent the £1.00 to put in a screen washer bottle level warning light! Just ordered my next one too!

dCi Tekna

Car kept breaking down. The battery was completely flat on two occasions and the garage was extremely unhelpful. The problem (so the technician tells me) is water getting into the fuse box due to the new design of the car.

1.5 dCi Tekna

We bought the car when it was 9 months old having previously had Mondeo diesel estates. My wife wanted a car with higher seating and having looked at a slightly older model belonging to a friend we decided to go to our local dealer to see what they had to offer. As I was due to retire in the next 15 months I wanted a car that was cheap to tax and run and the Qashqai seemed to fit the bill. We test drove the car and it was comfortable to drive. It was more than I initially wanted to pay but as it had all the extras we decided to go ahead and purchase it. What a mistake - it should have its own parking bay at the dealers. When we went to collect the car the Connect unit would not work. The sales manager decided to put his SD card in to replace the one that came with the car. Once home and in daylight we noticed a scratch in the bodywork and the fob was not working so we went back to the dealer who agreed to do the bodywork and replace the battery in the key fob. A few weeks later the radio in the Connect unit stopped working so it went back to the dealer. They decided to replace the unit and that was the the start of a continual visit to the dealers. They could not find out why I could not connect my phone to the unit. Everything was set up on the internet the system or so we thought registered and our phone said it was connected, but the unit said 'unable to connect as not a registered user'. Back to the dealers. They had it for 5 days got connected as a guest but when went to pick it up same problem. We decided to call Nissan customer service. A very helpful lady called Abi took us through the set up but we still had same problem. When we said the unit had been changed she straight away said did the garage register the new unit to your vin. On the following Monday my wife went to the dealers and asked the question. No we have changed many units but not registered them. Who had told me as the technical team at Nissan had not advised them of this when they had called because the issue had not been resolved. I gave them the number we had called and their top technician called it. He deduced that he needed to have the car back to take the unit out to get the serial number. Booked it in for the following Monday and a courtesy car was provided. Went back Tuesday still not working. Went back weds no joy at this point due to many issues and was at the point of rejecting the car having taken legal advice. Spoke to Abi at Nissan CS and she said that we needed to re-register so picked the car back up on Friday called her Saturday to talk us through the set up. Totally reset internet phone app etc. Still got the message not registered she asked for a screenshot as she was now running out of ideas. To cut a long story short we still have no connect apps, we have the radio and sat nav but other apps on connect not working. Nissan's reason was that although you should get 2 years free for the app usage there had been an error and our end date was June 2015 instead if June 2016. They would get this sorted and let us know. To this date now 3 months since Abi at Nissan got involved we are still unable to get the apps that should be in the connect unit. We are being told this is a global issue not just with Nissan connect but other car manufacturers who use the same 3rd party to supply the apps and until that party agree to reinstate the 2 year end date we will remain as we are. Although the car is great to drive very economical etc we paid 21k for a car that should have all the bells and whistles and we have not got that. Nissan have agreed when the connect services are in place they will extend the end date so we do get at least another 2 years but having had the car at the dealers more times in 6 months than we have had with any car we have ever bought and both of us with over 40 years driving each we have never experienced customer service like it. If someone asked me would I recommend the Qashqai to them my answer is no and not only for this model but any made by Nissan.

Overall quite reliable not had a starting or breakdown problem.

Very economical get around 50 mpg having done 10k driving through France.

Accenta 1.5 diesel

Having had two Nissan Qashqais in the past and loving them both I had no hesitation purchasing a new 2014 model. Bad bad choice. Road noise is unacceptable. Auto stop/start doesn't work. Keeps losing Bluetooth link. Strange blowout noise from engine. Still love the car for many good reasons but still very dissapointed.

1.5 dci Acenta

I bought my Qashqai in November 2014. Now it has almost 5,000 miles and I like my car! Engine: Choose diesel engines only when you do lot of motorway miles as I do. My 1.5 diesel is good engine, although its not very quiet and refined when driving at low gears in the city (especially in winter). I can also recommend 1.2 petrol engine (which I've tried) because it's quiet even at high speed and engine maintenance is cheap. The 1.2 engine stays very refined in city driving all the time, therefore is more suitable for city driving. Interior: Interior finish looks good, doesn't feel cheap and it can compete with more expensive cars like new VW Passat or Audi A3/A4/Q3. However build quality is not that perfect. Although I don't have any constant or disturbing rattles, car rattles bit on bad roads. Nissan will have to work hard to eliminate these rattles in new cars and inform Nissan dealers how to fix these rattles for already produced cars. This is what actually matters most to all owners! Wind and road noise: Drive is quiet on soft tarmac. But there is road noise on the rough tarmac. There is no wind noise at 100km/h. There is little wind noise at 130km/h. Ride is very comfortable, it's good car for long journeys. The combination of road noise, 1.5 diesel vibrations and wind noise causes only average noise levels at highway speed. The car is quiet in lower speeds, but for the quiet drive in a city, I recommend petrol engines. Fuel consumption: For 1.5 dci - highway 50mpg, out of town 60 mpg, city 36mpg. 1.2 petrol has better fuel consumption in city than 1.5 dci i guess. Driving: Ride is comfortable, shock absorbers are perfect. Features: You need parking sensors or parking camera, however you don't need both of them. Camera is only nice feature but you can park easily with parking sensors only. Rain sensors are poor. Autonomous emergency braking seems working well and is usefull. Sign recognition works perfect but the feature is unnecessary. Auto full beam works ok but sometimes it's better to switch on/off high beam manually. Trim: Don't choose top trim levels, they are pricey and it's only small familly car! You can have larger and better car for that price like new Mazda CX-5, new VW Passat or new Ford Mondeo. Choose Acenta or N-tec trim and you will have perfect car for the money.

Tekna

Some months after purchase the drivers seat, which is leather, showed signs of creasing. This was reported to the garage and after some while they agreed to replace the leather under warranty. Within weeks the same creasing occurred in the same place (and the passenger seat is showing creasing signs in the opposite panel) and we took this up with the garage. They in turn took it up with Nissan who now say that it is not a warranty issue - they haven't even inspected the car - and say 'they undertook the warranty work initially to give us the benefit of the doubt'. A wonderful way to excuse themselves from undertaking a realistic and proper warranty replacement. Thanks Nissan.......... no further Nissans for me!

1.2 N-tec Plus

Nissan did a perfect job in desigining and all quality and functionality. Inside is amazing with the black nice trim around the console. So easy to use the Nissan connect system. I am streaming internet radio right into the Nissan connect and that's working properly. The sound is also a good quality. I own a 1.2 engine. I would say i can drive up to 180 with no engine NOISE versus the previous BMW 5 Series, which had an engine noise. There is a bit of wind noise into cabin but considering the size of the car in height and also big mirrors it's quite acceptable. For me the car so far treating me nicely, especially with this engine. The dash and central information panel looks great and practical. Comparing this car with available cars in the market like Hyundai ix35, Ford Kuga, Honda CR-V or Kia sportage, considering the price and the technology you get, certainly it's a winner. Well done Nissan.

1:6 Tekna

My son recently purchased a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna . The first thing to go wrong was the dealership got the order wrong and he didn't get what he wanted or ordered; after a lot of negotiation the matter was resolved. He has had the car a WEEK (yes 1 week) with 150 miles, the sat nav has failed and the start/stop doesn't work. DAB radio has stopped working too. The car is now sitting at the dealership. He bought the car as he is about to become a dad and thought this the ideal purchase. My advice right from the start REJECT the car under the consumer protection act as it is not fit for purpose.

1.2 tekna

Bought this car in March in part-ex for a 1.5 Qashqai diesel. Can not get used to the road noise from the low profile tyres and a constant rattle from the dash also I have had to turn off a load of the gadgets to get rid of constant bells and whistles distracting me while driving. Still trying to get used to the no handbrake and hill start assist. As a Nissan fan after this experience I will not be buying another.

1.6 diesel xtronic

I purchased this car in February 2014. Everything was OK until May when without warning, suddenly the car lost power, started juddering and the more you tried to accelerate, the juddering just got worse. After a few miles, the problem went away. The car was OK for about two weeks when the problem returned. The problem is an intermittent problem that keeps happening on a regular basis. The problem is that every time we took it to the garage the problem had gone away. After taking it in for repair and getting nowhere the garage this week as taken it back and I have said I do not want it back until it is repaired. Would I buy another Qashqai? No.

new qashqai 1.2 visia

Bought new in march 2014 to replace my 2010 Qashqai Visia, this is turning out to be an expensive mistake. It is a nice car but let down by interior noise levels which is a constant roar when on urban roads, the only time it is quiet is when driving on a really smooth surface. I do agree with Marc from Tring as i also have driven quieter vans and HGVs. This will teach me to take a longer test drive in future. The engine is quiet and only heard when pulling away from standstill and is very lively for a 1.2 petrol in such a large car but you must ignore 5th gear which is pointless, far better go from 4th to 6th and vice versa. I will have to stick with it for while longer then get shot as the noise is awful no way will i keep this one 4 years. I would only recommend this car to somebody who is hard of hearing.
constant problem with alarm

1.6 petrol

2008

More than 5 years

We knew we were buying a tinny, underpowered car, but expected reliability from it. I acquired the vehicle in 2011 when it was three years old. It was a terribly short legged car, but the engine revved happily. Handbrake cables broke twice, the window motors were underpowered and laboured (stopped working in the winter cold), the gear lever connected up with cables, which broke and left us stranded on the road, the hand brake cables broke twice, the door handle cable needed replacing twice, the subframe was so corroded I had to change it last year to keep the MOT alive, and finally yesterday, I was told both rear suspension arms had corroded so badly, it would fail its MOT this year.

N-Connecta 1.5 Manual

2019

This is my second Qashqai the first being an automatic, my very first automatic after 45 years of driving and I really enjoyed it but after three years decided to change it in April 2019, just to save a few quid I opted for the manual being as I had driven them for years. But I must say this updated version will be my last Nissan car it is awful to my mind the Driver Assist is a nightmare that I have to remember to re-configerate on every journey such as disengage the Driver warning alarm that lets out a piercing scream every time you hit the brake a little harder. The eco fuel save that causes the car to stall as you re engage first gear and causes frustration when you are holding up other road users to restart. They changed the Entertainment/SatNav from the 2016 model and this new one is really rubbish. They are changing for change sake with this newer model and it is overcooked and really rubbish and I cannot wait to change it for another none Nissan.

1.2 dig petrol

I've owned this from new and within months had problems with the start/stop as the battery fitted by Nissan was not powerful enough. Battery was then replaced by Nissan under warranty. Although an easy fix, quite distressing, especially when sat at the lights and not getting the car to start. Now 3 years later and 60k miles on the clock the timing chain has snapped and I am looking at having to replace the engine. This was my third Nissan and it will be my last.

1.2 DIG-T N-Tec+

Great technology let down massively by shoddy materials and build quality. I can only describe the car as being brittle and fragile. Press reviews praised its build quality but I can only disagree. Sorry Nissan but you need to build your cars to withstand Britain terrible roads. The Qashqai doesn't! Rattles permeated the dashboard pretty much from day one. The car went back to Nissan on numerous occasions for this, and it was never fully sorted. Also, the battery failed in first year, the timing chain failed at 27,000 miles and the rear wash wipe packed up.

Battery went with first year. Rear wash wipe with warranty. Worse still Timing chain went at 27,000!!!!

Bit slow off the mark. But refined and quiet at speed
No complaints here

Bought this Nissan Qashqai back in 2016 because it has a very good reviews from different website. But I guess those reviews are based on short term use of the vehicle and not actually that they own a Nissan Qashqai. I would also give 4-5 start if I have used Qashqai for only a month or shorter. Here are some annoying problems I encountered on my Qashqai. 1. After a year the car would not start, so I called Nissan assistance. They jump started my car and it was okay for at least 3 days, but then I had to call themagain and they checked the battery, everything looked fine and they jump started it again. Three days later the battery started to fail again, so the car went to the workshop. I got my car back after less than a day, and was told they found no faults, but I later found that the battery had been replaced. Some websites say that the Qashqai has battery charging issues, and my Qashqai-owning friend says the battery might be drained quickly if you have a USB memory stick plugged in for music. I cannot confirm that this is the cause. 2. The front parking sensors activate when they're wet, and display an error that won't disappear until you It is annoying because it will display an error until you restart your car. The parking sensors also sounded when there was nothing to hit! I tried to wipe the sensors thinking they might be damp, and restarted my car but it still sounded. So I just keep driving because I know they'll automatically turn off at over 30kph, which they do, eventually. 3. Sometimes the remote key isn't recognised. When you try to start the car an error of "incorrect ID" will appear. I replaced the batter on the remote but still get the same error. Occasionally I can't even open the doors. 4. An warning of "chassis control system fault" appears when I start driving. This error triggers occasionally. 5. The radio/navigation panel doesn't always work straight away. I have to wait for 5-10mins while the car is running before it turns on. In general most of the problem are on the electronic side of the car. I think the electronics or the computer that runs the car is poorly done. I would recommend to read more "Qashqai owners" reviews before choosing one.

1.5dci manual, Acenta Premium

For the price, you get a lot of car and tech for your money. I enjoyed the high seating position and the sharp styling and mechanically, the car was faultless despite the 40,000 plus miles I put on it in two years. However, much of the tech that comes crammed into the car developed a few quirks and glitches that I think have been reported a number of times by other buyers. These included front parking sensors activating in rain/ snow whilst travelling at speed as well as issues with the keyless system not detecting the key. The only way I found to get around this was to exit the vehicle, lock it, unlock it, get back in and try starting it again - not great if you're in a rush. The automatic hand brake also had a habit of not working sometimes with a warning light appearing on the dash to show this. The stop/start system would also intermittently give up with a message on the display saying the stop/ start system had been disabled. Even in 2014 when I got the car I found the infotainment system to be very low-res, poorly designed and incredibly slow, so I was quite surprised to see they are still using this system in the 2018 cars! Smaller niggles include the reversing camera being incredibly bright but mostly useless when reversing at night, dazzling me and forcing me to hold my hand over the screen so I could see where I was going as there is no way of controlling the brightness. The car also developed a number of rattles in and around the cabin which I wasn't able to isolate, but I lived with this and eventually most of them disappeared. Otherwise the storage is good, the engine is small but eager enough for leisurely overtakes and uphill climbs and the panoramic sunroof was a great addition which they later removed from this spec and is now a costly option! The driving position is nice, though the gearbox has a long throw and oddly, the window switches have no illumination, so good luck finding them in the dark!

1.2 petrol

This car has a noisy engine, indecisive CVT automatic gearbox and very poor ride quality (the late 2017 model has had its suspension adjusted so that the ride quality on ordinary British roads is extremely firm and uncomfortable). Poor fuel economy,too. The one good thing on this car is the reversing camera.

1.5 dci acenta smart vision

Shocking car! By far the worst vehicle I have owned. I bought the car used with 11,000 miles on the clock – in my mind that's as good as brand new. The car is fully maintained by Nissan was serviced regular with accordance with the service schedule etc. In under the year I have owned the car it has needed a new battery, new glow plugs, a new electric window arm and a new alternator. My wife owns a ten year old Ford Fiesta and its never needed anything done to it. I'm not sure how Nissan have got this car so wrong! It's not fit for the road. The customer service at their dealers is also shocking. If I could give it 0 stars that would be more fitting for Nissan as a company and for the reliability of this car.

Absolutely shocking, that's all I can say!

Reported economy figures 70MPG+; no chance. 55MPG at best

1.5 DCI Tekna

Very poor reliability with the following faults occurring during the first 2 years: Excessive noise from door mirrors - poor aerodynamics Chipped front offside window after repair Cracked door trim Loose door seal Passenger front seat stuck - unable to adjust Warped lower front windscreen mouldings - had to be replaced Faulty electric motor connection on drivers window Recall - emergency braking sensors Faulty front sensors - triggered by water ingress Add to this poor customer service from local dealer who supplied the car, delays to repairs and incorrect diagnostics. Tyre wear is excessive. Performance is mediocre, comfort good, fuel figures good bit are overstated.

1.5 dCi Tekna

I was very pleased with this car at first. The equipment levels in the top trim are excellent and it looks and drives great. Unfortunately it is let down by reliability issues. The aircon stopped working after about 18 months and my Nissan dealer said this was not covered under the warranty as it needed the gas refilled - never had to do this before on an 18 month old car. Then the start/stop system began to go wrong early on (a common issue) and eventually the battery wouldn't hold a charge overnight, stranding me a number of times (again Nissan said they wouldn't cover that, offering to pay only 25% towards it as it was two years old now). The stereo system is troublesome too - sometimes when I plug my phone in, audio playback stops randomly. It is such a shame as it really is a lovely car otherwise but its coming up to 3 years old now and I am looking forward to getting rid of it and won't buy another Nissan.

1.5 diesel nconnecta

Disappointed. Less than 300 miles on clock and back with dealers. Internal rattle/vibration from area of passenger vents. Panel in front of windscreen coming loose, gap / opening in section in front of steering wheel. Clutch has become very squeaky and sticky. Nice car in many ways but dreadful build quality.

Acenta Premium 1.5 dCi

Worst car I have ever bought from new. Quite frankly the hype was good, first impressions externally pleasing on the eye and thereafter everything starts to go down hill. So far I have had no reliability issues after 21k. However the build quality is appalling: bonnet does not sit correctly as far as I am concerned, both front doors do not meet up with the dash in the same place (blind man would see that), sliding screen on roof has started to grind away and clank (going into dealership for 2 days), banging around inside of cabin caused by fuel sloshing around in the fuel tank, interior front door panels that flex as if made from cardboard and probably the worst feature I have experienced is a lack of down force on the front end (ie weight) and therefore on the smallest gradients the front wheels are liable to slip/spin before gaining any traction. I have to say I do not like the car and my opinion of Nissan as a manufacturer is extremely low - buy a Qashqai at your own peril. Do not even mention the dealerships or the Executive Office who quite frankly are not worth the price of the phone call. Trying not to be bitter, as long as the car keeps running I will live with it.

1.5 dci Tekna

Decided on the new Qashqai last year after all the rave reviews. Like most buyers, I did the research & test drove the competition (Kia Sportage, VW Tiguan, i35) but I was sold on the Qashqai, largely on the generous equipment levels, claimed MPG and zero road tax. My reliable & faultless Honda CRV was coming up to 7 years old and it felt somewhat ancient in comparison and as I am not necessarily brand loyal, I thought I would give Nissan a try for the first time. It was also time to 'downsize' our car as the kids are now driving their own cars. Unfortunately, it did not go quite to plan. A delivery date of early July was then put back to August which then became mid Sept. The purchasing process was not without its faults with the salesman at my local dealership more interested in selling me insurance 'add-ons' and various accessories which I did not want & even trying to dissuade me from buying a diesel to a petrol instead (because they had one in stock for immediate delivery!). That was before a heated debate on the part-ex value on my Honda (the lowest offered to me in comparison to the other dealer manufacturers - Hyundai being the best), hence I sold privately in the end & made £1k more ! When we finally did take delivery, I was initially impressed. Whilst some owners have mentioned increased cabin noise, mine seems OK. However, I do agree on the quality of the side door panels. When operating the front electric windows, the upper part of the interior panel does flex noticeably as the window declines. A trip to Germany went without faults although I had hoped for better MPG on what was a 1,500 mile journey, largely on dual carriageways & motorways with 51mpg averaged & no excessive speeding despite the temptation offered on the autobahn. I put this down the fact that the engine was still very new. But then the niggly electrical faults started. Firstly, the front parking sensors didn't seem to work. Secondly, the emergency braking system seem to activate well in advance of the vehicles in front and thirdly, the electronic key refused to be recognised and on one occasion, I was unable to start the car at all necessitating an RAC call-out. What concerned me further were his jovial comments about 'getting called out at the moment to a lot of Qashqais!' The car has now had two visits to the dealership to rectify faults and whilst these seem to have been cured, I got the impression that Nissan has rushed the Qashqai into production without thorough testing, especially the electrical systems & components. I still enjoy driving the car and if the newer-produced cars are fault free, then I'd still recommended one. However, as regards mine and with only a three year warranty to fall back on, I wonder if I will be changing the vehicle sooner than my anticipated six years. Taking everything into account from the initial dealership handling, delayed delivery & subsequent faults, I can only warrant a 3 star rating. Sorry Nissan, but you still have a bit of catching up to do with the Germans & the South Koreans.

Acenta Premium 1.5 dCi

I would recommend this car to anyone. The performance from this engine is well above average. I have towed a caravan at the weight limit of the car and returned 33mpg over 100 miles keeping within limits but staying with the traffic flow. Have covered 15k since new and overall mpg is showing recorded at 61, many journeys show recordings in high sixties to low seventies, best trip recorder shows 75.7 but did have a trip record at 81.3 but forgot to save it. The car is in Storm White and looks fantastic. Paint finish is also fantastic - the Pearlescent really gives the car an eye-catching finish. Tyre noise is noticeable much more than the engine, but not bad by any means. Only niggles are wind noise on drivers mirror and over excited parking sensors. No problems in any other format, very happy with this car.

1.8 diesel 4 by 4

Got new delivery as a lease car for work. DPF red light came on within 6 weeks, in garage and told blocked with carbon, not driving enough miles. They cleared the carbon. Six weeks later same again, red light, in garage all over Christmas and they replaced the whole DPF system. Less than 6 weeks, lights came on again, clogged with carbon again. No replacement Nissan on every occasion so messing around getting a hire car. Its now been at garage 6 weeks, its a software problem, they now admit nothing to do with if I am doing enough miles, its beyond the garage so Nissan technical are involved but the software upgrade didn't work. Now still no idea of how and when it will be fixed so having to consider rejecting a car that cant seem to be fixed!

Premium Accenta 1.2 petrol

In the middle of May 2014 I purchased a brand new Nissan Qashqai and initially we were very pleased. I'd bought this for my wife as she needed a bigger and reliable car, with being on call to attend to her elderly mother. Two days after taking possession I find a scratch on the top edge of the bonnet. I immediately reported this fault and initially I was accused of damaging this myself. I discovered that this scratch was caused by lifting the wipers when in normal park position, which I'd not moved at that time. After a lot of unpleasant discussions and headaches they eventually changed the bonnet, as Nissan wouldn't authorise the paint work repair, even though it doesn't explain anywhere in the manual about the wiper/bonnet caution. Next the door seal around the front passenger door was faulty and needed replacement. Then whilst driving about a month later a system fault warning came on the dashboard. As the manual doesn't mention what to do I rang the dealer. As it was due in for its first month health check they said to mention it then. At its check we were told that it was all clear and no problems. In October the sun screen started making grinding noises and again reported it to the dealer, they inspected this early November and said that they need it in for a couple of days to completely strip the roof/interior. Now just after this the system fault came on again and this time the car wouldn't start. I called the RAC to come out. First thing he says is you must have left your lights on. No, nothing has been left on. Eventually he jump starts it and checks alternator etc, all OK. He advised to get it booked in at the Nissan dealer, as something has drained the battery. I got it booked for the following Monday. Then on the preceding Friday, my wife comes home and we were due out about an hour later. Returned to the car......wouldn't start! I hadn't time to call RAC out so we went out in my van, (not ideal). On the Saturday I called the RAC and when he came out he said the battery was completely flat and that something must have drained it. He said we won't keep coming out anymore to just jump start you, when we've told you to take it to a dealer. I said it was booked in on the Monday, but I couldn't have got it there in its present state. He proceeded to put a new battery on, and of course it started ok. On the Sunday my wife had a call to go and see her mum, when she got back she told me the system fault warning had come on again and was worried about getting back home. So there is still something in the background or a short that is draining the battery. So on Monday 10th November the car goes in for testing. We weren't allowed a courtesy car. During the Monday I get a phone call stating my warranty is void because I've changed the battery and need to pay over £100+vat for a new one. I explained that this was the RAC and you would have to check with them, as I'm not paying for it. I've handed them the log sheets from the RAC to chase the original battery. On the Thursday 13th I receive a call from their service manager, and quite jovially informs me they've had an accident in our car, a motorbike has hit the front, but it can be repaired. It'll be as good as new. Luckily no one was seriously injured. My wife rang them about the incident and the service manager started to laugh, this is not good customer relations. They eventually decide to allow us a courtesy car, an old Juke, which guzzled diesel. Now the process of events drags on, eventually they do allow us an equivalent qashqai courtesy car. I asked to be kept informed of the progress, but only ended up having to chase the situation of our vehicle. Just before Christmas they said it should be back and ready for collection. I asked if the sun screen and the system fault had been resolved? He knew nothing of this and had to find out. No they'd not done anything towards it. The system was supposed to have been reset after the accident, but then he informs me that they've got to reset the system, but their technician doesn't know how to do it. Fills me full of confidence! Seems right hand doesn't know what the left's doing. I feel we've given them more than enough time, over 11 weeks to date. my wife feels very dubious about driving the vehicle as it's likely to let her down and the possibility of not having the RAC to fall back on. Don't get me wrong we love the Nissan Qashqai, but not the FP14XTE one, it's a 'lemon' or Friday afternoon car. As things stand, this is the most I've ever spent on a new car, to date this is the worst car I've ever bought. My daughter was already to buy a new Nissan Juke, these events and poor service have certainly put her off Nissan. If and when we get it back it will feel like driving a second hand car, especially after being involved in an accident. In short, my wife doesn't want that car anymore, for obvious reasons. Most disappointed in Nissan and the dealership.

1.5 dCI Tekna

Despite the rave reviews, this is a distinctly average car. I wasn't entirely convinced about an SUV, having previously had a small estate, and I think I should have stuck with that (an Octavia vRS would have been better). Quality is OK and it is a nice comfortable place to be, but some of the features are awful. The sat nav is dreadful if you are used to a TomTom Live, or even some of the free smartphone products. The maps are out of date and the live traffic is useless. Nissan Connect doesn't live up to what they advertise or the salesmen claim, and the stereo is poor. I can't believe that they looked at other cars and thought many of the features would be good enough to palm off on to customers. For example, to fill up you need to pull a lever in the car, open the flap, unscrew the cap, put it in the flap and then fill up using a filler that is not protected against misfuelling. In my last car you just opened the flap, filled up and couldn't misfuel.

Good.

Adequate.

Much better than expected.

1.2 Tekna

Chose to get the Qashqai after rave reviews, and since owning I have regretted every minute with it. Never have I owned a car that I have been so disappointed in. My previous car was the Kia Sportage 3 Sat Nav and when thinking of a change I read several reviews that claim the Qashqai did this better than the Sportage, the Qashqai did this better etc etc. So far in the first three weeks of ownership, everything that attracted me to the Qashqai has failed. The auto braking, the hill start assist, the blind spot information, trace control, auto parking, The acceleration of the car is hit and miss, whereby if you put the throttle to the floor, the car goes slower with less pull, yet if you pull it back from the floor about an inch, it goes faster (like a sweet spot) which is testing when you need full power to overtake. To set the record straight: Any future would be's going from a Sportage to the Qashqai, be aware of the following: If you're used to that quality sound system in the Sportage, get ready to be heavily disappointed with the one in the Qashqai, for the price of the car it is terrible. If you're used to opening and closing the windows in your solidly built Sportage, with the door trim staying in one place, get ready for the door trim moving about in a Qashqai when the window comes to it's stop point due to the metal structure behind being of such a weak construction. (the door trim itself may be of better quality in a Qashqai, but the build quality of the door structure is sub standard compared to the Sportage) If you're used to the Sportage voice control working flawlessly as I was, then be prepared in the Qashqai, as it will not understand a word you say with Nissan's connect system, and is not as interactive as Nissan's ads claim it being (you are pretty much NOT connected with Nissan's connect system). If in the Sportage you are used to simple things like the heating being ducted to the rear passengers (after all its the 21st century) unfortunately Nissan don't duct any heat to the rear of the car (it's like my old ford anglia where you have to wait for heat from the front to make it's way to the rear). If you're used to all your door controls in the Sportage being lit up at night, don't expect it in the Nissan as they don't (cost saving on a few LEDs!!) Yes the Qashqai is a little less woolly and bouncy on handling than the Sportage, but unlike the Sportage where the suspension remains dubbed and solid on bumpy roads rough roads, the Qashqai transmits knocky sounds to the interior as if something is loose (very unwelcome). I keep reading reviews of how quiet and composed the Qashqai is on the road with little wind and road noise. Where are they testing this??? In a silenced lab!!! Mine has so much wind and road noise, it's unreal, the Sportage was not super quiet, but I would go as far to say, it was quieter. As an example, my Citroen Berlingo van 2013 plate, is quieter on the same M40 motorway than the Qashqai (And It's a VAN!!!) and it cost £9,000, the Qashqai cost nearly £25,000. The worst part is getting a Nissan dealer to actually take the car in and look at it. They just don't seem interested or have the time. So far, in excess of a month is my earliest date. Bottom line for all those Sportage owners thinking of switching... Don't!!! Buy a facelifted Sportage instead.

1.5 diesel

2019

It's not even a year old, and I've had a flat battery, and then issues with the engine management light coming on.

1.5d Tekna

The current reviews for the Nissan Qashqai were all on the 2014 models. The 2017 model is completely different. Designed and built in UK with a Renault engine. It's the easiest car I've ever driven from the test drive to actually owning the car. I'm very pleased with it so far, with no problems to report. Diesel consumption is excellent, with readings up to 70mpg on some runs. I like the technology, particularly the all-round vision camera, which makes it very easy to park. It’s a very safe car too. It's a pity the boot isn’t a bit larger but that's not a deal-breaker. I'd definitely recommend this car.

1.5 Diesel

I sent my qashqai back to the dealership two months ago following eight weeks of constant faults and breakdowns. In my eight weeks of ownership, it had been sent back to the dealership (who were unable to fix the fault) and was then sent back to Nissan to fix. On return of the vehicle, I had the same ‘stop/start system failure’, unable to start the car, clonking noise from the passenger front side and intermittent radio. There was hardly a day went by that I didn’t have some issue with this car, I would never buy one again!

NTEC+

We collected the car in August, prior to a holiday in Devon, this was our second Qashqai, our first a 1.5Ntec+ Diesel, which was running great until the DPF problem arrived. We traded it in for a new 1.2 Petrol version, we had had no problems with the Diesel bar the DPF issue so opted for another Qashqai. Sadly, this vehicle has been a nightmare. During our ownership it has needed a bulkhead reseal, new Interior carpets and mats due to water leaking into the footwell, new passenger door seals, a new battery and new fob battery, shock absorbers on the front needed to be reset due to a rattle on the front passenger side. And today – a complete new engine, signed off by Nissan under the warranty we have left. On an 18-month old car! I have no faith in the car, I doubt the dealer would be open to a swap out for another model or refund regardless of the new consumer rights so I am considering this as a serious option because once its out of manufacturer arranty I doubt the car will suddenly become all reliable and fault free, even though the head mechanic at the garage has re assured me that the new engine and any forthcoming problems with it will come with a full 12 month warranty. I'm at a loss as to what we can do, You want to trust your car when carrying your family around the country but I don't, Nissan used to have a good reputation I dare say that this will be my last. It's a shame as the Qashqai has everything you need in a car bar reliability.

1.6 Dci Tekna X-Tronic CVT

I'm a Nissan Newbie (prev mostly VW and Ford) and saw some good video reviews about the Qashqai so got one in time for our first child. I bought mine at 32k miles and it now has 45k miles on the clock. It has had a replacement A/C pump with the previous owner (seems a common fault). I must say I bought it for £14k on the used car market and it does appear extremely good value - with a lot of kit for the money. To boot - it only needs servicing every 20k miles and this particularly engine is chain cam so no £600 cam-belt replacements at 60k miles like in the VW's!! Since owning I have had the usual rattling/creaks which the dealer rectified - but it I must say it seems a sign of bad build quality, and that and the gearbox are the main problems with my Qashqai. The X-Tronic CVT worries me as it sometimes never feels settled and 'jumps' or 'hunts' around for gears - I have read into this and it appears to be either a software fault or something to do with the box itself. Having spoken to an auto gearbox specialist they seem to think that they are inundated with Nissan CVT failures (mostly with the smaller engines) as they only tend to last 20k miles before needing a new or refurbished box (listen out for the grinding noise)! Obviously mine has now done 45k miles so I just hope I am one of the lucky ones! Anyone who is thinking of buying a Nissan auto CVT - make sure it's under warranty for the time you own the car as otherwise a new CVT gearbox will set you back £6k+ to replace and it appears Nissan won't want to know unless it's under warranty! Another point is the suspension appears rather creaky at times (something to do with the rear suspension link) and the steering creaks when you turn it on a cold start. Onto the good points (can't forget those!) - its very good to drive, comfortable, and stylish looking car - you can see why it's been a hit. The headlights are excellent as are the round-view cameras (albeit the res is rather low). The ride height is excellent. I also think the engine is generally quiet and refined in comparison to a VW diesel. The interior quality is OK and feels comfortable and generally solid. Overall: Not a terrible car this - however unfortunately this will be my last Nissan as I am just not won over by the build quality nor the customer service on offer and will be reverting back to a better quality make (something not made by Nissan or in Sunderland!) once this ownership has run its course.

1.6dci 4x4 Tekna

I'm gobsmacked at these negative reviews, I really do think that some folk just like to moan for the sake of it! This is my second Qashqai and I have only had one issue in nearly six year of owning them – a common fault on latest model which is wear in the sway bar bushes. I've recommended Qashqais to so many friends and family members, and those that have gone on to buy them all seem to love them as much as me. I appreciate it's down to taste and inevitably things will fail, but me, my friends and family love them and have had no issues whatsoever. My common sense advice is to test drive before you buy.

1.6 DiG (Petrol) N-Connecta

Three or four years ago I would NOT have bought a Qashqai because of hit and miss reliability. However, after advice from a mechanic. I have now bought a new one. I've now owned the car 4 months and it does everything it is supposed to with aplomb. Stop/Start is rubbish in and car. You cannot trust the turbo oil feed, so ALWAYS turn it off. Conversely, the air con, NEVER turn it off and once a month blast it on max heat for 5 mins to burn mildew etc. On parking ALWAYS leave the car on tick-over for 30+ seconds. (Same on ALL turbo cars). Finally always give any car a reasonable run of 25+ miles every 3/4 weeks at 50mph plus. Reading reviews it is apparent that over time Nissan have rectified faults and dramatically increased build quality. Hence I have now bought one.

We bought this car in Spring 2016 having had a Qashqai previously and been happy with it. Within a few months of driving we got intermittent displays telling us there was a "System failure" which seemed from the display to be connected to either the Stop/Start or Parking sensors systems. The dealer said they would investigate at its first service. If they did or not I cannot be sure but the fault continued only now getting more frequent and accompanied by a variety of warning lights. The dealer had the car in and said they would fit new "glow plugs" (?). Within 24 hours the faults reappeared and the following day the car refused to start. The dealer said it must be a new fault but were unable to provide the required service to repair it. If the car was left for up to 30 minutes it would start. It failed to start 4 times in 8 days. Yesterday the RAC got the car going and said the problem lay with the battery which they replaced having said they are getting a lot of call outs connected to battery issues. Within 24 hours the car again would not start and the RAC attended again. The engineer said all the indications were that it was a battery problem but could not understand why given the new battery had been fitted. Showing some initiative the engineer then discovered the battery earth connection was loose. He thought the progressive loosening of the connection might explain the increasing level of faults. If this has solved the problem I would have some dissatisfaction with Nissan's build quality, however my main complaint is with the dealership whose incompetence in finding the fault is only matched by the most appalling customer service (phone calls ignored, failing to call back, total indifference to customer's position). There is much to like about the car, although I would not recommend the petrol version which felt seriously underpowered on the test drive.

Reliability is poor. There is nothing so useless as a car that won't start.

1.5dci Teckna

I love love LOVE this car. Mine is top spec so has all the gadgets which work perfectly. The engine is punchy enough and rarely do I have to push it to get up speed. The satnav works great, though it's suggested routes can at times be questionable. I love the traffic feature which always you to traffic issues near your location. The orange flashing lights on the inside doors that warn you of vehicles approaching from your blind spots is genius. The suspension is great, especially on my bumpy country roads. It handles potholes and train crossings well too. The handling is great and there isn't much noise inside when you drive. It's easy to connect your iPhone via Bluetooth. No I haven't connected Facebook or the internet, but it's a car and you should be concentrating on driving it not social networking. The sound system is good too. I've read some of the reviews here and it is a shame some have had such poor service from dealerships regarding problems. My car has not had an issue (touch wood) at all and runs perfectly well. My dealership has been fantastic with servicing and support. I'm looking forward to another 20 months of driving with it.

Starts first time every time, I've never had an issue with the key not being found or batteries draining etc.

Not a performance car, it's is a family car but we all know that when we buy one. The 1.5dci is the engine to go for, the 1.2 petrol was terrible in comparison.

Low tax and I get between 45-60mpg which I'm very pleased with.

Acenti premium automatic

Some great gadgets and looks. Parking sensors a pain despite being repaired twice. Squeaky front seat and steering and scratches when delivered new! The biggest headache has been random juddering on slow acceleration and deceleration. Nissan test drivers blame it on wheel balancing! I gave them the benefit of the doubt and checked twice and the wheels are ok. Just because Nissans plug in computers register no fault, they put it down to my imagination basically! The juddering is sometimes severe and car has been nicknamed The Kangaroo by my family. Overall a great car with silly little faults and one big one! Maybe manual versions are better ?

1.5Dci Acenta Premium Plus

62.8
Nissan UK have not diagnosed a recurring issue with the first problem; the battery. They know that there is a fault but have no solution to correct it. Battery was completely flat and meant that the AA had to visit. Nissan also are fully aware that the steering column has a fault, yet again they can't resolve as they can't find a solution. The vehicle has been in 4 times, 2 rubber grommets and a drive shaft have been replaced but the steering still makes creaking noises. Their answer is that the Qashqai does this when the vehicle is cold. Customer Service is absolutely horrendous. I'm still waiting on an outcome from Nissan UK head office.

Tekna

We bought their top of the Range Qashqai and it has given us nothing but trouble - Very disappointed and extremely angry - It has done just 19,000 miles and the car has had 3 exhaust sensors replaced and completely rewired - Spent 4-5 months with Nissan's agent Glynn Hopkins over 4-5 visits and its gone wrong again..... I so, so regret switching from Honda after 7 years of trouble free motoring. Now time to take legal action ... I have lost all faith with the car, especially when it cut out in the fast lane at 70 mph on the M25 - It was deadly, trying to coast across three lanes with flashers and hoping other drivers would yield. And as you know with an automatic you have to either engage park to restart (going through reverse) not a great idea on a very fast motorway. Nissan's head office showed a bit of interest and it died after a few weeks blaming their agent.... This is not a solution...

1.5dci

The N.TEC MODEL is brilliant! Now on our 3rd QASHQAI.

Tekna 1.5dci

Japanese Mechnicals, French Electrics = Very Bad Owner Experience I was one of the first to get this car when it was launched in 2014 and went for the full monty Tekna model with panoramic roof. After 2 years it has now gone and I am so relieved I can't tell you. It has been nothing but trouble and I urge anyone else to ignore the short term car tests and listen to owners experiences and steer well clear. This car is by far and without doubt the most unreliable car I have ever had. I received it brand new and I am a very careful owner and driver, with around 9,000 miles a year driven. The faults in the last 18 months have included:- - Faulty heated drivers seat (the fix required the leather being taken off the seat to replace which then creased the leather permanently) - RDS radio constantly selecting incorrect channel / displaying incorrect info - SAT nav often crashing mid journey - once the whole of the UK turned upside down and inside out! - Complete failure of audio / nav system more than once requiring a restart of the car (not easy on a motorway) - Air conditioning condensor breaking (2 month wait for replacement part from Nissan as they can't get them fast enough apparently) - Flat spot / no power at around 1,750-2,000 rpm. When entering a roundabout in 2nd gear - can leave you stranded with no power = very scary! Stability control hazard light comes on for no reason when standing at traffic lights. Start / stop system rarely works as it should. Front tyres wear out after less than 8,000 miles Diamond cut wheels scratch at tiniest suggestion of stone chips etc. Air recirculator stops working - requires reset often A mind of its own when selecting fan output (e.g. feet, windscreen etc) A half decent car screwed together very very badly in my opinion and experience. Oh, and the engine is seriously underpowered for the weight of the car. For a car getting on for £30k, this is a lot of money for not a lot of car. Don't be fooled by the car reviews and stay away!

very very poor. I've had 14 year old cars more reliable than this was when brand new.

underpowered, sluggish and downright dangerous flat spot in 2nd gear.

High insurance, decent MPG doesn't make up for car being in the dealer so often being fixed.

1.2 DIG-T Acenta Premium

Firstly I would like to express how much I like this car. It has a good balance of design appeal and practicality. However I am just so frustrated with the poor reliability and arrogance of the dealerships and customer services team who I have had to deal with regarding various niggles over the past year. We have bought from Ford, Peugeot and Honda in the past and kept their cars for 3-4 years without any reliability issues or complaint. My partner's Toyota Auris (bought also at 1 year old) and our local dealership have been faultless . Currently there is an issue with a failed air on compressor for which the dealers first instinct was to attempt to charge for a 're gas plus I have been informed that front discs and brakes require replacement at 12k miles, despite regular use. Customer services only concern is the 48h they give themselves to respond . They have also failed at this. Worse experience was the battery failure diagnosed twice by the rac which the dealers diagnostics and customer services failed to acknowlege, leaving me stranded with my baby daughter for 2 hours second breakdown 1 week later during winter. Never received any apology for any issue from any party. You will at a push get an extremely aggrivating "sorry that you feel like that" but that is as close as it comes. Really cannot recommend Nissan on this basis and will be offloading my Qashqai as soon as I can as I have no confidence that it will not fail me or my family again. I bought my Qashqai 9 months old from Brindley Nissan with 8k mile on the clock.

1.6 dCi N-Tec

Love my car. Good points: excellent on fuel... 79.6MPG on a recent motorway trip. Average 45 - 55 around town (depends on how I drive), comfortable Interior, height adjustable driver's seat, large boot, glass roof, 360 cameras - very nice car to drive, especially on motorways. Bad points: Camera sensors get misted (rain drizzles on them) so yes the on-board camera comes on randomly, the radio sometimes loses signal, 2nd gear is hard to select on occasion, usually when trying to manoeuvre quicker than usual... can be embarrassing / dangerous / frustrating when at a junction & just pulled out. There is a grating noise when the car is cold but when it's cold & wet it is a permanent feature... when the weather is dry / warm it doesn't happen... I don't feel it's detrimental to the car but can be frustrating as I don't know what is causing it... Will speak to the dealer. On the whole I love my car... it's my 2nd Qashqai & am sure as the car becomes more established the teething issues will be solved.

Excellent - never had issues with reliability
Generally good... just a slight issue with a grinding noise (from steering) when wet & cold conditions.

Excellent... the usage of fuel / economy is down to how you drive surely... average 45 - 55 around town dependant on how I'm driving.. 79.6 on a recent motorway trip..

1.6 dci Tekna CVT

44.6
The car was delivered in Sept 14 after a 6 month wait. Initial impression good. The car is just a motorway business tool. At 2500 miles the CVT gearbox started juddering. After a reprogram the problem returned and eventually the gearbox was replaced under warranty. The new gearbox worked ok until 5k miles then a hunting issue appeared in normal motorway driving. A return to the dealer, another re program and the box has behaved impeccably ever since. Now with 33k miles. So how would I rate the car. As an everyday hack it's fine. It's not BMW so the build quality and design is far lower. As I use it myself with other cars I use at the weekend I don't mind. All the features have worked well on this Tekna model. Economy averages 45 mpg. Which equates to a real world range of 550 per tankful. Round town it drops to 30 mpg. The outstanding feature on the car are the LED headlights They are superb. I didn't think it was possible to improve on Xenon but these LED's are fantastic.

Gearbox replaced at 2500 miles

It's a 1.6 Nissan diesel auto !! It's not fast. The CVT box takes some getting used to after a normal BMW auto. It doesn't bite....sort of feeds in at launch. Once you've adjusted it's fine.
45mpg

1.6 DCi Tekna

I have had this car now for 3 months now and wish I never bothered. I have had no end of problems. Firstly the handbrake sometimes fails to engage and I have to pull the switch a couple of times to engage it, or the car engages the near side rear wheel only so when I drive off the rear of the car squats down at a huge angle. Also the air box rattles terribly on the bulkhead of the car making a real racket to the point you would think you were driving a tractor. The heated seats have a mind of their own and work when they want, usually switching on as you pull up to get out. The DAB radio constantly loses signal and the Connect unit resets itself when ever it wants. The rear door seal keeps clicking off and the front floor mat retaining clip has snapped off. The car also seems to use a tonne off fully synthetic oil, quite pricey. Not a great car I'm afraid.