Vauxhall Mokka SUV (2012-2016): owner reviews

"The Vauxhall Mokka is usefully practical and comes with lots of equipment as standard, although the overall package isn’t enough to make it a class leader."

• Electrics (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (3 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine (1 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

SE

We really did love the Mokka, I love the look of it and it's a lovely drive with fantastic gadgets but that's where it ends. Not long after buying the car the power steering failed, was told we needed a new part (ok sure no problem, was given a courtesy car, took 3 weeks to get it back but hey oh well). Then... It failed to start one day, sat nav screen goes blank occasionally, central locking failed, back passenger window has fault on electric window and a few little things here and there nothing surprises me no more. Today I brought it in for 2nd year service to be told something about the coolant pipes are leaking. Thank you but we've had enough it's now being sold with a loss but I need a reliable car for my kids. Vauxhall customer service is pathetic as well unless your buying from them so thank you and goodbye good riddance.

1.6 se eco tec diesel

Car is less than 2 months old and the turbo has gone. I was driving the car when I heard a whining noise coming from the car and before I could investigate the cause the car engine management light came on and the car lost all power. I could not get it past 10 mph so I pulled over and called rac who told me that there was nothing they could do but take the car to Vauxhall as it's under warranty, but I must say I was enjoying driving the car until this problem.

Can't really comment on this but my car is not a good add for Vauxhall as it has only done just over 2000 miles and the turbo has gone already

Problems with turbo after only 2 months from new
Cost a little bit more on fuel than my insignia did on fuel but still pulling around 55mpg

1.7 CDTI SE Auto

When I was investigating this car I could not understand why the majority of reviews were so downbeat. When I finally got the car I had to assume they were talking about another vehicle! My family and I love the car. We swapped from a Mercedes B-Class to the 1.7 CDTi SE model of the Mokka. It is no noisier than the Mercedes B Class we had which was a 2.0-litre diesel. The level of equipment is amazing, I love the auto main beam adjusting lights. It has heated seats and heated steering wheel! The back is very roomy and high up which makes putting my 2 year old boy in easy. The tinting is very heavy in the back windows, you can't see in. The car is very nippy. I must admit that cabin noise is a little on the high side at speed but not deplorable. The ride is firm but it takes bumpy roads like where I live very well. The mileage is very good for an automatic, I have had this vehicle for 3 months now and it reads 49.5mpg after 3,000 miles and that is travelling round Cambridge in traffic.

No problems

Excellent.

Better than expected, actually as claimed by the manufacturer

I have only had the car for 2 months and a fault was discovered after the first week of ownership. The car had 1 owner and 2,000 miles on the clock. It has been into the garage twice, and is going in again on 2nd November 2015. They cannot get to the root of the problem. When you select reverse, it drives forward. I now want to reject the car.

1.4 hitec 5door

Load of rubbish . Broke down three times in four months. Kept jamming in 5th gear. No power. Would not recommend to anybody and all Vauxhall could say was sorry about that.

1.6 tech line

Private buyer. Excellent driving position. 1.6 petrol engine has ample go in it, 70 mph cruising no problem & no problem getting it there, 33mpg around town no worse than lots of other ((lighter) cars. suspension is fine & comfortable, quiet cruising on motorways. Forget the early poor reviews, interior is well put together with no "scratchy" plastics on the dashboard unlike some other makes. Well pleased, especially pricewise, have been running this car since April 2013.

1.7cdti Techline awd

Almost all the motoring press have slated the Mokka for things like ride quality engine noise and price , amongst others , and so I would just like to add a little balance in this small review. I would love the aforesaid reviewers to find me a car for the same price that can equal my Mokka . For an OTR price of £18,000 I bought a car that has four-wheel-drive, does around 50mpg carries 5 in comfort and costs £110 a year to tax, has a standard equipment list that puts other manufacturers to shame including sat-nav, reversing camera and electronic everything, it has been 100% reliable in the 2 years I have owned it and servicing, insurance and running costs are cheaper than my previous car, a citroen c3 piccasso hdi 1.6, not to mention that no matter what the weather I am confident that , thanks to the awd, I feel as safe as houses. And did I mention the lifetime warranty? . To sum up, my Mokka is the best car I have owned in 47 years of driving it does all that I ask of it and more. Well done vauxhall

100% reliable

good for what it is

cheap as chips for a 4wd

1.7 CDTI SE AUTOMATIC

45.5
This car was bought as a replacement for our previous 1.9 cdti Zafira Elite, and despite all the negative reviews by so-called motoring journalists, including of course their road tests, we did a good deal on an ex-demo model at a dealer in Derby, we needed the automatic version anyway, and being the SE it had all the goodies that we needed including leather, and it was in our favourite colour for this model, overall we are both delighted with it, we both love driving it, and being higher off the ground, it is easier for my disabled partner to get in and out of, performance is great, it's far more economical than the Zafira was, and we are very pleased with it, all in all a smashing motor. I am going to start using the manual side of the box so that I can improve on my mpg, considering I am quite a brisk driver the MPG for an auto I think is very reasonable. And I mean a brisk driver!

We have had no issues with this car whatsoever.

More than satisfactory, the 1.9 cdti Zafira was very pokey, and this is not far behind it, considering the smaller engine that is very good.

When I am driving the car, as stated I do not hang about, fuel consumption could easily be much more economical, down to me really.

1.6 CDTi SE

Motability from new. Car has only 1,224 miles on clock and the turbo has failed resulting in loss of power with engine management light on.

SE 1.7CDTi

Ignore the Journos. I have owned BMWs, Fords etc. We all know that if this was a review of the Opel badged version they would give it a far higher rating...

1.7 Exclusive

There are many plus points to this car. a) Mileage : I get around 70+ mpg on motorway and easily around 55-60 mpg round town. So the company has its claims right. Well the mpg would depend on your ideal speed which should not be too fast or too slow; b) Engine : The engine is quite smooth and punchy and very silent on high speeds. It is an excellent relaxing motorway cruiser; c) Space : As promised by Vauxhall, you get plenty of space for leg room and headroom with a very good sized boot; d) Tax & Insurance : Because the CO2 emissions are lower it falls under the 30 pound tax bracket and insurance is also quite low; And with all the above you get a 100,000 mile warranty from Vauxhall which is very re-assuring. I would highly recommend this vehicle for people who want the luxury of an SUV, good fuel economy, low to tax and insure and no compromise on seating or boot space. Then this is the car for you.

1.7CDti Tech Line

I have just bought this car and and I am glad I ignored the review on this site. It sits in tax group C , emitting 120g of CO2 and costs £30 per year to tax. MPG is supposed to be 62.8mpg combined cycle. It sits on standard 18 inch alloys and handles well. At speed it is quiet and refined with a gentle burble from the diesel engine in the background which I find quite pleasant. This is a fairly roomy car which can comfortably seat 4 adults and has a boot which is a match for most hatchbacks.

1.6 cdti

Well where do i start? I bought my Mokka diesel just over 2 years ago. It only was 6 months old with 3500 miles on the clock. Great car, I thought until after 3 weeks the turbo went. I couldn't believe it. As it was under warranty I had it replaced, but that was just the start. Up to now its been back six times. Glow plugs replaced twice, exhaust sensor replaced, both drop links replaced and various faults codes coming on to be reset as they couldn't find any faults. As of today I have been looking for a new car to replace my Mokka – the warranty runs out soon. As you can guess it wont be a Vauxhall. What a let down this car has been.

1.4 turbo AUTO

I have had my Mokka nearly 2 and half years. It hasn't missed a beat. It's very comfortable to drive, smooth and effortless and also surprisingly nimble too, maybe because its automatic and they way some people drive. I love the raised seating position and all the gadgets that come with it. Mine is just the SE version. It drives lovely but I won't be upgrading to the X version as I have heard many issues with the pulling off problems. But in general a very happy Mokka SUV owner.
Very reliable no problems whatsoever
Very smooth and nimble off the mark

Average running costs for a automatic.

1.6 CDTI

44.5
Lovely ride height, well equipped, but downsides are a very noisy engine when cold. It chugs & has power steering failure when at very low speed. The boot's shape & obscured head lining means you cannot move larger items. The upside is its looks & acceleration from standstill. The top-end model isn't worth the extra, I would recommend the lower entry level but there's a lot of equipment across the range

Reasonable – it only failed to start twice in cold weather

Kickdown is terrible, you put your foot to the floor, it hesitates & the engine screams but you stay where you were.

Reasonable but could be better & I do not drive like a boy racer

1.7cdti

I don't know if the so called expert car reviewers are getting back handers from other car manufacturers to give the Mokka such an average review but as an owner of many cars over the last 40 years, I find this an excellent car to drive. Fuel economy is fantastic, never below 50mpg averaging 60+ overall and on a run 70+. Any one who doesn't get near these figures ought to learn how to drive again. No wind noise at 70, road handling fine, all round vision great, comfortable and a pleasure to drive. I've had no issues and am a happy chappy.

Trouble free

For the type of vehicle it is , performs well.

Very cheap to run

1.7 CDTI automatic

The latest issue with this car is to be told that in order to replace the flaking off silver trim around the gear lever I need to replace the whole thing including the lever. Cost of parts alone is £250 and as trim is not a warranty issue Vauxhall refuse to budge. Originally I had issues with a persistent fault that ended up being the whole drive shaft being replaced and then other issues that in its first 18 months saw it in and out of the garage. The drive is okay but there have been so many little things go wrong with it that I would not buy another one or, come to it another Vauxhall (based on their appalling customer service levels)

1.4 Turbo SE 4x4 140PS

Best car I have ever owned. 1.4 Turbo is more powerful and more flexible than the 1.6 and has an improved suspension set-up plus six speed gearbox instead of five, so by far the best petrol option. Relaxed cruising at 70mph. Only had to use the 4x4 twice, but it pulled me out of muddy fields with no drama whereas other 4x4 were digging themselves in. Totally amazing! On similar journeys I averaged 47mph in a diesel saloon car, so very happy with 41mpg from the petrol Mokka. Car now 17 months old and no problems.

4x4 petrol

I wish I had never bought this car. I appreciate I bought it used but I have had nothing but problems with it. The gearbox had to be replaced, the electric wing mirror had to be replaced (a minor detail but annoying). The stop/start does not work and the air conditioning/heating sounds like it is about to blow up! It is not a comfortable drive on long journeys, is not fuel efficient and it is noisy and sluggish. The only positive I can find is the high up driving position, sorry but that is about it!

It starts!

Poor, sluggish and noisy

Not fuel efficient

1.4T SE auto

No problems with this motor - it has a lovely ride, good mpg and loads of toys. There's good legroom in the back as passengers tell me, and the boot is large.

So far 5*

Always had big-engined cars - 3.0-litre plus - but performance is very good for a car of this size.

Can't complain.

After three months the gear box failed — when you select reverse, it drives forward. Vauxhall says it's my driving as no fault on computers then one of there staff drive it and it happens to them!

1.4 4x4 Techline

First off as a cash buyer there was several grand to be negotiated off the tech line. Car is loaded with toys that are not advertised such as personalising the keys so that it behaves differently for the different drivers, automatic locking and being able to remotely just unlock the drivers door..all things my wife loves. Last car was a Ford Kuga so this drives differently to the Ford diesel but overall I think I prefer it. Ask me in a year about reliability but at the moment I am very happy with the car and am at a loss to find the negatives that professional reviewers have cited.