SEAT Ibiza ST estate owner reviews

"The SEAT Ibiza ST is a supermini-based estate car, which offers heaps of practicality with affordable running costs"

• Suspension, Other (1 cases)

1.2 fr

When my missus had our 3rd child (all under 7) i knew we had to get a estate. Our fiestas boot was far too small so i done my reasearchand ended up with either the Ibiza or a fabia. The way the Ibiza ST looks swung it for me. When I saw my car for the 1st time, I fell in love with it. Its a white FR estate with privacy glass, uprated 17" alloys, rear parking sensors with display on SPS (seat portable system) and comfort pack with auto lights/wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror and electric folding mirrors fitted as extras plus the standard kit including air con, cruise control and the SPS which includes satnav, car info and Bluetooth connectivity for phone/music streaming. It sounds a lot of kit for 15k and couldn't wait to trade in my 2014 fiesta ecoboost and drive it. I was gutted! On paper it should do 0-60 in 9.7 seconds but it feels sluggish and slower than my fiesta was is 11 secs. It handles terribly (I know its an estate but my dads 2010 focus handles better - a much bigger car). I had numerous problems with it (and still do - read on...) and the showroom I bought it from seemed to do everything to stop me getting it fixed. So 25000 miles and 18 months later and the SPS is useless, voice control has never worked and a suspension problem from new I had fixed privately because SEAT couldn't identify the problem (a £12 rotar arm was bent!) The car is still sluggish and I wish I had spent 15k on a 10 month old focus instead! Never again...but it still is the best looking version of this car I have ever seen!

Tsi

When it rains or the car is washed the doors fill with water. The water stays in the doors until they are opened. This could be up to 2 weeks when I am on holiday. SEAT call this design fault a "characteristic" and because the dealer cannot fix it it is not deemed a fault. I have owned many cars of different manufacturers and two SEATS, none have ever had this problem. This ruins an otherwise satisfactory car.

1.2TSi FR

A terrific package with space, performance, economy and very good build quality at a very good price. Probably should be more highly rated by the motoring press. The car has certainly exceeded my expectations! Lifestyle Seat in Eastbourne were also very helpful.

FR 1.4 ACT

I chose this car as at the time I wanted something which was a bit different, not too dear, quite zippy and with a boot big enough for my little dog. I went for technic grey paint, and the one the dealer could get me soonest had some extras on it: a proper spare wheel, DAB radio, 17 inch alloys and tinted rear windows. When I went to collect the car I was really pleased with how it looked, the larger wheels make it look really smart. After 2 years of ownership I have never seen one exactly the same, so it's nice to have a car that you don't see all over the place. It's not the sportiest or sleekest looking car, especially the back of it, but that leads me onto the best thing about it... This thing is a little rocket but you might not think it to look at it. Yes it has a small twin exhaust and the FR badging on the grille and boot, but it doesn't shout about it. The balance of economy and performance you get from this engine is brilliant. I'm getting 43 mpg at the moment and that's without being particularly mindful over fuel consumption. The performance is not blisteringly fast, but good enough to make overtaking quick and safe. The car is light and the acceleration just keeps coming, even in 6th gear it just keeps pulling... Great when it's safe to make some good progress. It's fun driving a car that can quietly outperform most other things on the road, but which looks like a sensible little runaround. The negatives with this car are the limited space in the rear seats and the slightly dull dashboard. Forget it if you want to put a baby or toddler seat in the back and also have comfortable leg room in the front at the same time. In fact that's why I am now swapping it for a Leon... It's just not big enough if you need to regularly have a child seat in the car. I suppose that's not really a negative, as it is a small car not a family car. However, the boot is great for a small or medium sized dog. The boot lip is not too deep, and the rear window lets lots of light in. I have also used it to transport a fridge (with the seats down), and generally it's a very handy little load carrier. The only fault has been with the air con which recently stopped working suddenly. Seat repaired the seals free of charge under warranty so no complaints there. Tyre wear has been fine (I've done 14000 miles and still plenty of tread on the original set), and with £30 annual tax this is a cheap car to run. The only other thing to mention is that the suspension is firm, but personally I don't mind this as the pay off is better handling round the corners. A great little estate car, highly recommended.

1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Manual