SsangYong Rexton owner reviews

"Although far from cutting-edge, the latest SsangYong Rexton makes most sense as a no-nonsense family workhorse with a touch of luxury"

• Brakes, Other (1 cases)

Ultimate

A really good car which in Ultimate trim impresses with more standard features than I've ever seen in a vehicle. I've had mine for almost a year after buying it on the launch weekend and have done 16k miles in it. It's been totally faultless.

Ultimate

I bought this car on its launch weekend and it was probably one of the first on the road as it arrived within a couple of weeks of ordering. It's now completed 7,000 trouble free miles and I've got to say I'm seriously impressed with it. The drive is far better than you would believe reading some of the reviews from so-called experts, the interior finish in ultimate trim is excellent , frankly after five months I can't fault it. The knowledge that it also comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty also gives great peace of mind. If you are interested in buying a 4x4 I would seriously suggest you take a look at one of these.

First 7k miles faultless

4x4 so not a sports car
Generally 30 to 38 to the gallon, best was 42 mpg.

Ultimate 2.5 ltr auto

Build quality is superb. It's fully loaded with all the kit you could want and very comfortable seats. It has a quiet ride on decent roads, is really spacious with a massive boot. It has a great driving position with fully adjustable electric heated and cooled seats, and a heated steering wheel as well. And all for 30k. Why pay three times the price for a vehicle that can't do half as much as this one can?

My 4th Ssangyong. They're tough as old boots and reliable

Comfortable and perfectly adequate
Could be better but it's pretty good considering the car's weight.

2.0 L

very powerful engine, with many equipment and facilities and safety

ELX

This will be my third SSangyong. I bought a Kyron which was very reliable but had 'interesting' styling. I traded in for a Korando which has been a super car so we decided to keep it when we bought a Rexton. We bought the ELX version as we wanted the 7 seats to accommodate grandchildren the ability to tow a large twin axle caravan and have some off road ability. The car seems huge but you soon get used to that and it does what we wanted it for very well. We have done over 8,000 mls since April and I still enjoy getting in the car to drive it. I do not agree with some reviewers they seem to struggle with like to like comparisons. It is not trying to be a Range Rover/Discovery nor is it a KIa/Hyundai. The interior is well planned out and the large touchscreen display a delight. Easily visible and the Tom Tom navigation is as good as you get and isn't stuck in a below dash position as it is in some cars. The quality of materials is perfectly functional, too. The ride is good as well both on the road and especially off. It is not a fast; acceleration through the mercedes auto box is a bit unresponsive but is still more than satisfactory. Fuel consumption is acceptable in a car of this size and weight, a round trip of 77 miles towing a twin axle caravan over both country roads and motorway gave us 29.6mpg. Towing is so effortless it's a pleasure. Also the rear camera is so good you hardly need a caravan with a motor mover you can align the van to car very easily. Also the turning circle is second to none. Overall I am very pleased with the car.

8,000 mls no problems
Adequate no sports car but as a mature driver suits me.
Could be better

2.2 Ultimate

I was one of the first people to get the new Rexton and it's a brilliant car. I've never owned Ssangyong before and always felt they looked odd, ungainly or just a bit left-field. I also understand they were really quite cheaply built and the materials were a generation or two out of date. However, when I went to see this car I was pleasantly surprised. It's really attractive to look at, the materials used are totally on par with brands such as KIA and Hyundai, which is a compliment these days. In terms of what you get for your money it's unbelievable - here is a 'proper' off-roader, with all the ruggedness and durability underneath to cope with real off-road challenges, a massive towing ability, effortless power for such a big car (and I draw a distinction between speed and power here - the Rexton is not a sports car and nor does it pretend to be). Step inside and the design and feel of the interior is faultless - it is not a Range Rover or Land Rover Discovery but nor does it pretend to be and it is literally half the price - spec by spec. The materials, buttons, switches are all solid, well designed, and weighted and no longer an afterthought. The electronic systems work well, the 10 inch screen is smooth, responsive, logical and has some good features. The specification of the Ultimate model has everything you'll ever really need, and truthfully, probably more - you should consider the next model down if you are happy with a manual gearbox and don't want to pay extra for one. If I had one or two criticisms they would be that the on-road ride quality could be better - betraying the more agricultural nature of its construction but you get used to it very quickly and it doesn't detract from the overall feel of the car. Arguably my Land Rover Defender rides more smoothly in a straight line. Having has a bit of a chance to put it through its paces in Scotland over Christmas I was very pleased with how easily it tackled deep snow, ice and steep inclines - this is not a 4X4 system with a lot of intelligence behind it - you do need to switch to 4X4 but when you do, it just goes like a train over anything you show it. It will also lock into low-ratio to really tackle tough surfaces. The other is that whilst the automatic gearbox is Mercedes sourced so it should be a good, solid unit - it is not the most responsive as has been mentioned in media reviews but it suits the car well and again, once you get used to the manner in which it operates, you adapt and predict how to get the best out of it. I implore anyone who has even felt the need to look at a car like this, with needs that require something tough, comfy and good value you REALLY need to go see it in the flesh and forget the myths or jokes about Ssangyong. I've never been a badge snob and feel I have benefitted from having value cars as a result, Skoda and KIA being good examples. This new Rexton is a game changer for the brand and one to be taken seriously, especially as other mainstream brands increasingly produce more and more 'Soft-Roaders' that just can't do what this car can.

2.2

A big SUV with plenty of power, high spec and in my opinion beats the Land Rover Discovery hands down! Drawbacks- only get 18k from rear brakes before they need changing. The chromed wheels began to corrode after 16-months and I had difficulty in getting them changed under guarantee. The tyre pressure warning light comes on after 30 miles, due to a battery problem in the sensor. It took three visits before they realised the problem.

Good...but it's only 2 years old

Very good for a 2.2-litre engine. Very smooth at 80mph. Good to have optional 2 or 4 wheel drive. Good off road and in the snow.

It's heavy on fuel 26-34 mpg. The parts are expensive. and it's difficult to match paint for bodywork damage. My tyres will last about 30k. Back brakes needed renewing after 18k, not sure why as I don't tow or have heavy loads.

Trance Eurasia edition

I'm an America currently living in South Korea, and a proud owner of Rexton G4 Trance Eurasia Edition available in Korea. Now it has 13,000 km. I purchased it in January 2018. I drove Rexton, in February 2018, from Incheon to Pusan and back (around 900 km), and stopped at few ski resorts, with my wife and two kids. I like everything about this car, except absence of LD. I wish it was possible to import G4 to USA. There's nothing better on American market, for the price, than Rexton G4. Since 1992, I've had over 20 vehicles with over 1,000,000 miles on the road. In Korea, my choice was Kia Mohave or Rexton, and I'm glad I got Rexton G4. As of reliability - in South Korea the oldest vehicles you see on roads are SssangYongs. There often models that are 20 years old still running strong. And some models, used, are more expensive than competition, especially discontinued Chairman luxury sedan, and second generation Korando and Musso.

2.7 DIESEL Rexton

We bought our first Rexton in 2007, it was the Rexton II Diesel automatic, I must admit we were a bit hesitant about this decision. The SUV looked good, felt solid and it was very comfortable, the downside was its suspension which was very truck-like. We kept it until 2010 when we bought two new Rextons II, one diesel and the other with the 3.2 petrol engine. We were so convinced of the quality and solidity of these cars that we bought two Actyon Sports with the 200xDI engine, these were beyond ugly but fantastic for the rough mountain roads in Peruvian Andes mountains. They're fast, comfortable and economical to run. I changed mine in 2016 for a new Rexton with the Diesel engine 270XVt. This particular SUV is identical to the previous models but for some reason feels better, perhaps more refined and still very solid. We use these SUV in Peru, mostly in the city, but I have driven mine in the Andes at heights above 4,200 meters above sea level and the engine does not loose power at the same rate as other cars I have driven: Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Toyota (all suv and 4x4); the engine feels solid and "moves" this 2 tons car with ease. I have been looking at the new model with the 2.2 Diesel engine, and something makes me feel that I want to keep my actual Rexton one more year and see what happens, the 2.2 engine does not feel as strong as the 2.7, it is far better equipped and refined, very good looking but I will wait until the end of the year before I decide.