In-depth reviews

Suzuki Swift owner reviews

“The latest Suzuki Swift builds on its predecessor’s appeal, but can’t topple the supermini class leaders”

• Electrics (1 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)

SZ5 1.0 boosterjet hybrid

My Suzuki Swift is a good little car. Full of character, the BoosterJet engine is punchy and you can have a lot of fun in it. Brakes are keen and steering is on point. Comes with bags of standard equipment in the SZ5 trim. Great car for getting about in. I've had no real problems with it apart from the infotainment system can be a little glitchy at times. My only criticism is it lacks refinement, can be a little loud on the motorway, the materials used in the cabin aren't great and the suspension can be unpleasant over small bumps. If you want a fun little car to drive around the city in you can't do much better for the price but I wouldn't recommend as a motorway cruiser.

5 Door Automatic

2019

This a nippy car that has great looks and is fun to drive, but is too noisy to take on a long journey and sadly, within 6 weeks, two plastic trims have fallen off. The automatic gear shift does not have a gate to stop you accidently putting it in manual mode from the park position and because the console software is slow one only finds this out when the engines revs get too high. My model has a lot of electronic aids some of which let it down badly. Driving in London is a pain because its collision warning system is forever sounding off and is far too loud. One time the car slammed on the brakes because it sensed a car moving across the front causing the car behind to swerve and all I could do was sit and let it happen and was very frightening! The system can only be turned off but each time the car starts it is reset and I have to wait for the electronics to catch up and is a real pain. Using the navigation system is a drag as you have to tell the car each time you start that you want to use it but once set works quite well. Yesterday the car decided that the pressure in one tyre was too low (i.e. 2psi) and was constantly flashing different messages on the console and is far too distracting. I have yet to fathom why sometimes at the end of the journey an alarm sounds to say the gear shift is not in park and refuses to lock the car doors and I have to get back in and switch the ignition back on and off to clear it. The parking sensors and reverse parking help a lot because there are some blind spots when reverse parking. This has been an interesting start to an ownership but unless the boys in Japan improve the gadgets I think this will be the first and last Suzuki I buy.

Seems to be Ok apart from bits of trim falling away
It is suprisingly very quick and fun to drive and veruy manoeuvrable.
Getting 42mpg which is and 55mpg on a motorway run which is very good.

1.3 DDIS SZ3

2010

More than 5 years

Mine is an ex-demonstration model purchased at 5000 miles / 6 months prior to launch of DPF models. It used a little oil in the first year but was fine after then. The lower control arms had to be changed for the first MOT at low cost but improved replacements have lasted and the car has now done 69,000 miles. The only fault we've had was a broken right side sunvisor a couple of years ago. Fuel economy is exceptional at a consistent 70-73 mpg, only drops to around 68mpg on the motorway. The car remains a great drive and it is unfortunate that this model was dropped and it will be hard to part with it as its trade in value is unjustifiably poor compared with some more “popular” brands.

Sx5

2019

50.6
I was really surprised on how fast this car was for a 1-litre. I originally took it for a test drive for my daughter’s first car, it definitely put a smile on my face when I was driving it so I ordered one for myself. It’s definitely not a old 1-litre flintstone car. It’s not too good going over speed bumps or potholes. I get about 53mpg in the summer and 49.6 in the winter I do a lot of short runs. Cheap to fill up with petrol because of the small tanks. Not very good on bumpy roads. I’ve also noticed if the temperature is below 3 degrees. the start/stop won’t work at traffic lights etc. Boot space not bad for a small car, but it’s not a estate. It’s a bit plastic inside but then again it’s not a prestige car. Really please with it during my 1st year of owning it. It can definitely leave cars standing don’t be put off with the 1-litre engine. I would love to test drive the 1.4 sport.

Not had any problems up to date

You don’t feel like you are driving a 1lt .

Really pleased but thought the mpg would be 60 plus