Toyota Auris Hybrid owner reviews

“The Toyota Auris Hybrid boasts impressive economy credentials and plenty of kit, but rivals offer far more polish and passion”

• Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (1 cases)

1.8 Hybrid ecvt

I read expert reviews on this car and they all said the same – noisy gearbox, not as good as a Golf. So when I test drove one it was the complete opposite so I bought one. If driven properly ( legal speed limits ) it's a smooth, quiet economical reliable car.

1.8 Hybrid Excel 5dr

I agree with all the reviews already posted about the Toyota Auris Hybrid. I found the last issue of the Avensis before it was discontinued was nicer. The gearbox is very noisy; when you try and overtake or go faster there is loads of noise, but doesn’t seem to get anywhere fast at all. The ride is not too bad. The highest mpg I have ever had was 61.2mpg and that was during a recent warm summer, my normal day-to-day economy usually sits at 47-48mpg. The seat belt warning system doesn’t work correctly and never has since purchasing the car. The red warning light on dashboard flashes with annoying beeping to remind you to put the seatbelt on. I asked my local Toyota dealer who then looked into the issue, only to inform me that it must be an Auris trait. I have started to get an issue with the gearbox sensors, I think. Sometimes when I am driving forward, the multimedia display is showing where I have driven as the reversing camera is still activated. The funny thing is the car has just finished its five-year warranty.

I have had this car for almost two years now on contract hire and it's about to go back. And I can't wait. The real problem is the fuel economy. Yes you can get 70 mpg in EV mode for about five minutes, but that's no good – the engine kicks in and it's back down to 40 and it really is pointless having a hybrid. Also it makes such a noise from the CVT gearbox – put your foot down and you don't go anywhere you just get loads of loud noise. It handles like a boat – the body roll is incredible. Inside the cabin is okay and has all the kit works. The seatbelt warning is annoying, though,it sometimes beeps even when there's no passenger in the car. All in all it doesn't seem worth the money.

GB25

47.1
I have filled up the car twice now and made an average of the fuel consumption of 47.1 mpg I drive 12 miles to work 5 through a quiet village the rest at steady state cruise control 56 mph. I'm disgusted with fuel consumption told I would get 78mpg around town. I contacted Toyota main dealer who said I need to do at least a 1000 miles to slacken the engine it will improve! I feel that I have been conned in the fuel consumption rates and recommend thinking twice if you intend to buy one of these for the economy

Excellent

Excellent

I've had better fuel consumption from a 2.5 litre

1.8

Absolutely brilliant car! Fully met my expectations! Great fun to drive, remarkably good handling, smart interior which is very well laid out and very comfortable heated seats with fully adjustable lumbar support, amazingly quiet yet powerful & responsive when needed. Highly fuel efficiencent and easily achieves 70mpg in EV mode.

Excel

I bought this car believing Toyota was a quality product backed up by quality customer service - bad mistake. In daily use it proved to be a comfortable and relaxed car to drive, but the first problem occurred at 15,000 miles when the secondary battery failed. It took two breakdowns and calls to the RAC to get me going followed by two trips to my local Toyota dealership to get it sorted and replaced under warranty. The RAC produced a full report saying the battery was faulty - the dealership disagreed! Having read on the internet of this failing in other Auris hybrids I was told by my dealership not to read information on Forums and to turn off the radio, fan, and lights when stationary to avoid battery draining. The latest problem has been rust appearing on the roof and finding out that the 5 year warranty is in fact a 5 year warranty only for mechanical parts - body work is only covered for three years – unless the rust comes from inside out then its twelved-years. My 2 year 363 day old car is classified as out of warranty and guess what - Toyota say the rust has been caused by a stone chip!