In-depth reviews

Vauxhall Astra owner reviews

"This Vauxhall Astra is the best yet. It combines efficient engines, an enjoyable driving experience and a stylish design to make it one of the best family hatchbacks on sale"

• Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)

GTC 1.7 diesel

Absolutely terrible for fuel efficiency, I have a 250 mile commute once a week and it takes half a tank of fuel, my 3 series could do it and the return journey with half a tank, it's like driving a Land Rover again I wish I'd never bought it.

So far it's ok but the speedometer is reading 10% too high

Not too powerful but enough poke when its needed

Absolutely atrocious I might as well have bought a Landrover

1.0L sri/nav

Great car with lots of features. I've had no issues with my car at all. It's currently on 30k miles and is as good as the day I bought it.

1.6 Tech ecoflex

Although cheap to run this car is not as good as the main consumer reviewers say, and there are some distinct issues. Firstly the quality of basically everything on and in the car is poor. Plastic feel that's drab and engine parts that of poor quality meaning they fail quicker. I had big issues with the ECU unit failing and showing various errors. Regular ones were cam bus failure or no communications, ABS fault and steering faults. It was sent back to Vauxhall to fix numerous times and they kept advising that they could not find anything wrong with the car. However, the AA on each occasion actually found the faults each time they were called out! On numerous times on the motorway at higher speeds, the power steering would fail or the car would pull to the left or right. Vauxhall said nothing wrong and blamed it on tracking despite Kwik Fit checking tracking before hand and confirming it was 100% ok! Fuel consumption is more like 45 to the gallon and no where near Vauxhall's claim. Overall an unreliable and poor car which I would not recommend to anyone to buy new or second hand.

Poor the engine parts are of poor quality and fail easily.

Poor. Slow of junctions and when accelerating, noisy on A roads and motorways.

Poor, the fuel consumption is not what is advertised. At best 45 mpg.

1.6cdti 136ps sri

Loving it so far, feels great to drive, looks great, plenty of torque from the 1.6 whisper engine. Great infotainment system. Haven't yet to find any faults but I haven't owned the car very long yet to be fair, upon first impressions very happy

1.4 T Energy

I've had the car for two weeks now, and so far so good. Everything about it feels good at the moment. It's returning about 47mpg and the 1.4 turbo engine has not struggled at all and coped well with everything. The touchscreen is brill - my phone and iPod are all connected and up and running in about 10 minutes. I had the winter pack added which includes a heated steering wheel which is fantastic, plus the heated seats are good and the heat goes right up the back - not just your bottom. The gearbox is smooth and the clutch is good - no problems there. Handling is very good and the car stays where you point it. There's no twitching like the old Astra. All in all I can't fault it - well done Vauxhall, you got it right.

Too early to tell.

The 1.4 turbo has no problems at all has not struggled at all. The gear shift is very smooth.

Returning 47mpg so far.

1.4 Turbo petrol 148BHP Elite Nav

The best and most reliable car I have had in years. The engine is responsive and fast with excellent torque response, fuel consumption is excellent, totally reliable with no faults since ownership 30,000 plus miles, comfortable with more than enough tech comfortable refined and reasonable to run as an everyday car and I find OnStar and in car Wi-fi an excellent feature. Unfortunately since the sale of Vauxhall to PSA it seems the OnStar service is being discontinued; a huge mistake in my opinion as it’s like having your own personal assistant available to assist you whatever the problem you may have. I would definitely buy another and recommend it as a great car.

Not one issue since ownership

The 1.4 Turbo 148 BHP engine is the best option for speed, acceleration, torque response and overall performance

Much cheaper than the old model to run with excellent fuel consumption

1.0 SRi

So far, so very good. This car looks good inside and out and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Mine is the non-Nav variant but, to be honest, you don't need sat-nav as this model has Apple CarPlay which means that once your iPhone is plugged in via a USB cable, you get a replication of what is on your phone on the 7-inch screen - that is to say, a reduced replication, essentially music, messages, maps, pictures etc... It also has the OnStar service and autonomous emergency braking - I don't remember what it's called from Vauxhall but essentially, the car has a camera on the front so can detect when you're going to hit something (at slow speeds) and will apply the brakes gently. It also has lane guidance, sign recognition etc... It handles really well and the gear shifting is accurate and precise. However, I had problems finding 3rd gear this morning but that may be my inept driving rather than the car - I guess I will find out tonight whether it's a problem, I sincerely hope it's not. I have a red Sri 1.0-litre EcoFlex and it's plenty torquey enough for me. There was only one problem when I bought the car brand new - there was a tiny chip in the paintwork but to be fair to my local dealer, they are sorting it this week so all will be well in the world - I hope! Thanks Mat for your review, entertaining as ever! Perhaps I will do my own video review sometime soon! I would certainly thoroughly recommend this car - it took me ages to find the car (I had been looking for months at other makes but when I saw this one, I knew that it was what I was looking for!).
So far so good apart from a possible 3rd gear problem! Don't take this as red as it may have been my driving!!
As above, so far so good apart from 3rd gear but otherwise great.

OK-ish but I suspect it will get better over time when the engine has had a chance to run in!

1.6 SRi Turbo

2012

I agree with most of the issues raised. Pros: At 180bhp it has plenty of pull and is good for overtaking slower traffic. It looks good and drives well. It cruises very well on the motorway in sixth gear. The firm suspension and wide tyres give good grip, with good stability in fast corners. However, there is a downside in that ride quality at low speed is pretty poor when driving over uneven surfaces. Tyres are very expensive. And, yes, the pundits were right: the A-pillar really IS thick, giving a large blind spot, for example when approaching roundabouts. And yes, the doors really ARE huge, causing me to constantly have to awkwardly squeeze out of the car when parking in Sainsbury's. Fuel economy is pretty poor - over the 4 or 5 years I've owned it, it has consistently returned 30mpg. What I like least about the car is the cost-saving cheap plastics used in some parts of the interior: this lends a constant creaking and rattling to the cabin. If it's not the steering binnacle that's creaking, it's something else. As for the guy who suffers a constant stone-chipping problem, I have not experienced anything like this, and can only assume that he regularly drives fast over gravelly roads. All in all, although there are some downsides to the car, the good performance and smooth drive (at reasonable speeds), makes up for it, and I would (just about) recommend the car.

BiTurbo 5 door

I’ve owned this car for about 15 months now, I bought it at 23,000 miles and it now has now 33,000 miles, apart from a few niggles I have to say it’s a very solid all-rounder. The engine is a twin turbo that makes 200bhp and I've had it tuned to about 245bhp. It goes like a rocket even though it’s heavy, the car drives superb, feels very solid and handles very well so I can drive with confidence. I love the interior it has a good quality feel, not like a lot of cars these days. The flexi ride (sports button) is fantastic, stiffens the suspension and steering well and sharpens the throttle. The dials turn red in Sport mode awesome, the half red leather and tyre print seats are very cool, I like the layout of the console, and it's, very smooth to drive and comfortable on the motorway as it is on A and B roads. The design just looks better than most clone cars out there now and it stands out from the crowd, I cannot tell the difference between Audi, SEATs and some VWs now, they all look the same. Mine returns a good 43-47mpg in local driving and 50-55 on the motorway which is good considering the power. Speedo has no 30, 50 or 70 printed on it? Why? These are the main speed limits and just as well it has a digital speedo. The auto wipers are great and work well, the auto lights can be too sensitive for me, the front screen demist button works very well and is one of the best I’ve used, speed limiter and cruise control can be confusing, it goes on off on off before you figure out how it works. The traction control saved the car from going sideways one very icy morning on unsalted slip road corner. The main let down is the sat nav (950 Intellilink). It does not work right, it sends you through every town centre it can find, it will not use A and B roads just redirects you back to the motorway, some roads just don’t exist even though they have been there for 30 years and it sends you round in circles for no reason. Even if you buy an update for like £140 it will be 1-2 years out of date, just use Google maps. The USB port charges the phone and plays music from a pen drive, bluetooth works well, hands free phone works flawlessly and there's a great sounding stereo.

1.4SRI NAV (150)

A Brilliant Family Hatchback. Good to drive, quiet, efficient and well made. It feels very solid on the road and comes with a variety of desirable kit. So far it's been totally reliable. OnStar and satnav are great. Overall it's a superb car for the money

i.6 Sri Nav

I miss a few toys that I had on my 12 plate 2.0 ltr Astra Elite, however this latest Astra has been a good replacement. The entertainment system has been superb so far, The engine seems powerful enough for quick overtaking on single lane roads. the MPG is better, it handles sharper (and I had no complaints at all about the older model). The noise seems louder than my previous Astra but it's still not bad. The interior space seems good with rear leg room impressive. It's a smart looking, quick, civilised car for a small family. Oh and it seems very good value.

No problems so far

Not bad at all, seemingly quick when needed.

Seems cheap enough, although I have only had to fuel it up.

1.6 cdti 136bhp elite nav

Was really looking forward to getting the new K-Generation Astra as I have had a K and a J before. Alas, it has not lived up to expectations Road noise front and rear can be unbearable on certain road surfaces, but at least the road noise cancels out the squeaks from the dashboard. The infotainment system is unreliable. There's a strange gurgling, rattling noise from front right at low speeds, after three days at the Vauxhall dealers it still isn't fixed. The dealer contacted Vauxhall and hasn't had a response three weeks later. The car feels flimsy and cheap, and if you look for sound proofing in the back you won't find any. The brakes made a grinding noise from new, and needed new discs and pads after just 10k miles.

1.0 Turbo ecoflex energy 5dr (five speed manual)

44.9
With a downgrade in engine size, the more efficient 1.0 litre engine is one not to be sniffed at. I have had no trouble with the car since bought in June with 18,418 miles. It's currently on 24,000 miles and has been averaging 44.9mpg since about 2,500 miles. Owing to being registered before 1 April 2017, the road tax is just £20 a year. This car definitely does not struggle when it comes to overtaking and performance wise, it definitely surprised me.

1.6 elite nav

I've had this car for a year. The Onstar system seems pointless – if you make contact they just advise to go to the dealership. The infotainment system is intermittent at best but often fails for no reason leaving you with no sat nav no radio and all of the features attached to it, and so far Vauxhall cannot rectify the fault. To top the lot car has only done 10k miles, yet the clutch and gearbox failed putting it off the road for over a month while I waited for parts and repair. Thankfully Vauxhall did source a hire car for me – although this is also now showing an engine management light! This does not encourage me to go back for another Vauxhall and I have owned several previously.

1.7 Cdti 110 SE "J"

2011

Has been a fantastic car overall and in general has been very cost effective to run. Drives smoothly & plenty of power. Had to do ABS pump which is a weakness of the model (along with any that use Bosch pump). Worth buying higher spec - SE, Elite etc as a friend had the base spec and wasn't near as comfy. Have just replaced with a new Skoda Superb and the cruise control was far better on the Astra! As of late however, it started to let in water through the driver window. Can't find a seal that failed unfortunately. Alternator also gave some trouble not long after I bought it, but I put this down to 1st owner doing less than 5000 miles a year for first 5-6 years of its life.
Overall extremely dependable. Never let me down and even ABS trouble was evident for few weeks before I got it sorted but never stopped me driving!
Not going to set world on fire, but for real life driving it was lovely. Wouldn't get blown off a motorway and could easily overtake slow drivers on B roads.

Couldn't hit factory quotes of mpg but not bad all the same. Wiper setup however is not kind to wiper blades for some reason, I had 3 sets in 3 years.

1.4 sri

I've had nothing but trouble since I bought this car new. Doors leak and Vauxhall has allegedly replaced the seals, with no improvement - I have to drain the doors when it rains. The back wiper snapped off with the snow, the clutch release spring snapped while still in warranty, but Vauxhall refused to fix it, stating it wear and tear. Even my independent garage said they should have fixed it although he did say it was a 3 hour job for him. The 1.4 litre engine seems far to small for the size of car and it’s terrible pulling away and trying to overtake. All in all for a car purchased new I can’t wait to get rid which is a shame as many people recommend these.

I have a 2016 Astra, the engine management light came on logging around 15 faults, car went to Vauxhall and was in for 2 weeks under warranty. Be aware, the washer bottle pipe runs from the bottle inside car to the jets. If there's insufficient washer fluid in the pipe joint it can freeze and split, contaminating several electrical components under the dashboard and filling the floor of the car with water. Vauxhall have fixed this under warranty – however, if you have the same problem with multiple faults on the engine management system they are not covering them all. They will firstly check the strength of the washer fluid – if it's more water than screenwash it will cost you around £1,400.00 to get sorted. In short don't just put water in the bottle it needs to be 50/50 screen wash. I hope this prevents a large cost to all Astra drivers.

1.6 Design 110.

I have had the car for three weeks now, and am so far, very happy. I always swore I would never buy a Vauxhall but this is a very pretty car with (largely) rave reviews from owners and web sites alike. Prior to this, I had a Seat Ibiza which was very cramped but there is acres of room in the Astra. The doors shut with a very solid clunk and everything feels well screwed together (so far) and given the fact that I have owned two VAG groups cars previously, it is up against some stiff competition. I am also averaging 66mpg on long runs which is great and the seats are much more comfortable and supportive than the SEAT I owned which left me with bad back ache. But the biggest surprise is the technology, for the bottom of the range model, it has everything, including sat nav through my phone, cruise control and auto lights. I also find it much quieter than my SEAT which could be very thrashy at high speed and under hard acceleration, and whilst not whisper quiet, the engine is certainly an improvement on the Ibiza. At 12 months old and with 20000 on the clock, the car is so far excellent. Let's give it another 12 and see what happens, but if all goes well, I can see myself being a convert for years to come.

1.4SRI TURBO

I bought the car 2 months ago and I am very happy with my choice. The 1.4 turbo engine makes the car, its powerful and very responsive, the trim is stylish and modern, the entertainment system and sat nav all work perfectly. The seats are very comfortable, too. Going back to the 1.4 turbo engine its made driving fun again amazing power from a small engine, love it.

No problems

More than I expected
As good as the competition

1.4 Turbo Elite

The Astra Elite 1.4 litre Turbo is nippy and quiet, The ride is smooth and rides the bumpy roads well without jarring. It is well built, stylish and good value. the Sat Nav. works well and the infotainment system is very good with great sound. What else can I say except the white colour attracts the flies and the bird droppings.
I have had Vauxhalls in the past and found them reasonably reliable. Problems with suspension components on my Insignia. High pressure pump failed on my Signum at 40,000 miles.

For the size of the engine and economy it is great.

Good miles to the gallon but I hope depreciation not too high. I will probably keep the car for 4 years and then part exchange for a new one. depreciation in the past has levelled out after 4/5 tears and losses are comparable with other makes. The cost of servicing is better than other makes. I have driven Fords and found similar depreciation.

1.6 CDTI (Astra K)

Brilliant car (hardware), but very annoying that you cant turn off PDC completely. It is oversensitive and beep sound is way too loud. Bad software (and choices) does make an otherwise really good car rather average.

Great spec, and nice looking car - but drivers seat iss so uncomfortable, v. hard and angle gave me bad backache. So make sure you do long test drive to make sure the seats work for you.