In-depth reviews

Vauxhall Mokka owner reviews

"A new design and equipment list add appeal to the Vauxhall Mokka X, but it still has the niggling shortcomings of its predecessor"

• Brakes, Electrics, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Engine (3 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Other (1 cases)

1.6 diesel

My Vauxhall Mokka 1.6 SE diesel is a 2016 reg and has done 22,000 miles. I've only had it only had three months and the steering column already needs replacing and now there are numerous error codes on the computer. It has sticking brakes and flighty steering, and I don't like the very hard suspension.

1.7dti

I feel absolutely let down by this car. It looks good and initially felt good but 3 years later and after 19,000 miles and the gears have started to play up. I can't get into 3rd gear at all. I contacted the garage I bought it from and they don't want to know! They just quoted stupid amounts of money just to take a look at the car and then argued that if it was to renew the gearbox then it would cost over £400 just to look at it! As far as I know it's still under warranty. I'll never buy a Vauxhall again and definitely not deal with a Vauxhall garage again _ I found it a waste of time and money!

Active 1.4T

Good equipment and attractive style. It's let down by very poor driving experience and stuttering in first gear which Vauxhall claim is part of the cars character.

1.4 petrol turbo elite

I have only had this car a couple of months and love the look of it and comfort. I previously had a Polo so thought a bigger car that was better in height for us would suit our needs better, but I am slightly disappointed I thought it would have had better suspension. We have done a couple of longish journeys in it and it has performed well. I do agree that it is very jerky and seems to cut out a lot in first gear this is very annoying and could cause an incident. It seems to perform better when not in the economy mode for some reason. I'm hoping it just needs me to get to know the car a bit better and could resolve itself.

1.4 elite nav auto 4x4 150bhp turbo

So far so good. I've always had larger SUVs but downsizing has been made easier with this car. All-round vision is good, you're higher up than in a normal car. It's very comfortable on a long trip and its really quite speedy with the turbo. The automatic gearbox is very smooth and manual mode works fine but I mainly leave it in automatic. The fuel consumption isn't great at the moment but I'm making a lot of short trips and I need to get used to a petrol car. I have the upgraded LED main lights, they are a real bonus. The rear camera is very good, it has a very good paint finish – Amber. Overall I'm very happy with this car, it's a good drive with plenty of omph when needed.

1.4 ecotech

2019

Only had this for 2 weeks. 8600 miles on the clock when purchased. Only driven it 160 miles and so far it has cut out on me 4 times. Cuts out going downhill when slowing down and changing gear. The engine won't start again unless you remove the key and start it again. Very frightening as it cuts out when you want to turn left or right and can leave you stranded with oncoming traffic. Contacted vauxhall and waiting for their response. Definitely needs looking at as this is dangerous.

1.4 turbo

My Mokka X has issues with hesitation in all gears and the engine stalling in first gear when pulling away. I now have been made aware that Vauxhall have a software update to address this very issue. Will be taking in to have it done a.s.a.p... if it doesn’t correct the issue car will be changed. I would recommend this car to others for every other reason than the above issues.

1.6 petrol

I bought this to replace my lovely peugeot 3008 mainly due the fact it was getting on and it was a diesel. What a mistake! My Mokka X was the 5 speed manual with a 1.6 petrol engine. Before you hit 50 you're in top gear and the cabin noise gets louder and a louder. By 70mph the engine noise is horrendous, it feels like it's going to fly out of the bonnet with the gearbox in tow. It reminds me of my first car, a 1994 Corsa 1.2. Buying it with this combination of gearbox and engine also means the fuel economy is awful. The seats are really uncomfortable, too. I'm not sure who this version is aimed at, it's natural stomping ground is around town not on fast roads. While I'm here I should suggest not to choose a Mokka X in the deep blue colour – two thirds of those I see on the road are the same colour as mine, which shows a lack of imagination on colour variants by Vauxhall. Also my Android auto does not work looking on the forums this be fixed by a software upgrade from Vauxhall on a service.

1.6 CDTI AWD

Best car I've ever driven. Ignore the other reviewers complaining about first gear, that's down to their poor driving. I can't seem to recreate their issue in my Mokka X. Very generous standard gear, and very fun to drive.

1.4 petrol 140ps

The car is very good...the engine is powerful the cabin is very comfortable and luxurious, the connectivity is the best in the category.... until now it has used have 8,2 litres of fuel ever 100 km. This is high but the dealership says that after 7.000 km this consumption will drop. it is very comfotable on long journeys, you drive with cruise control set to 130-140 km/hour, and 2.700-2900 rpm and it is very quiet inside the cabin. The negative is the the suspension is firm and if you push the engine it gets loud.

Techline

Love my Mokka, great driving position, comfortable and great leg room. It's also been reliable - with no major spend required in over 4 years!

Great
No major spend required in over 4 years

1.4 turbo Active

This car has been back in the dealership three times, it's the worst car I have driven. It cuts out in first gear, is sluggish, and has problems with the economy button. I have rejected the vehicle because I think it's dangerous, but I know it will be a fight.

1.4 petrol turbo

I bought this when down-sizing from a Vauxhall Antara. I like its ease of access; it helps when you are 6ft tall.It has a comfortable ride (better than a Corsa but nippier). It's better on fuel than Antara, too. My reasons for going with the Mokka were its price, quality and its cabin height.

1.4 Turbo

Like your reviewer from Berkshire I had a 1.4-litre Mokka for 3 years and changed it for the Mokka X 3 months ago. I had no problems with my first one, unlike this new one which I feel can be dangerous when pulling away in first gear. It has been taken in 3 times but no fault can be found. I have spoken to a local garage owner who says this seems to be a fault with a lot of new cars. I don't feel safe letting my wife drive this car!

1.6CDTi 4x4 se

I traded in a high mileage (75,000 after 3yrs) Hyundai i40 and wasn’t sure initially how I’d fare with the Mokka, but so far (after 10,000 miles) it’s brilliant. It has a high driving position and with all controls easily to hand. Central dash does, as criticised in most reviews, have a lot of buttons. However I’m used to them and quite like it! The car has loads of bells & whistles for a decent price (don’t buy new - mine was 6 months old at 5,000 miles and £10,000 off new price). Room inside is ample - I’m a six footer, and with the driving seat adjusted for me there is reasonable room in the rear for another adult. The boot isn’t huge, but with the under floor compartment too it’s enough for most trips. With the rear seats folded it’ll take any load I might want to throw in to go to the local tip. The 1.6CDTi is a brilliant wee engine. Quiet and with adequate power & torque, and I’m looking forward to seeing how the 4 wheel drive copes this winter. The Hyundai wasn’t great on the country lane we are on. I've never had a Vauxhall before, but if the first 5 months with the Mokka are anything to go by I could well end up getting another in future.

100% reliability so far. Starts 1st time every time and all accessories etc in good working order
It’s not going to burn up the tarmac, but for a small Diesel engine in a 4x4 it’s certainly up to the task

It’s a 4x4 so didn’t expect anything spectacular, and the c50mpg I’m averaging seems pretty reasonable.

1.4t Active

Compact SUV with good balance between performance and economy. Good level of standard equipment. My car suffers from hesitation when pulling away in 1st gear which can be disconcerting at junctions and roundabouts, Vauxhall claim it is a characteristic of the Mokka I say it's a potential safety issue. Vauxhall dealers don't seem to be among the best in the industry.

1.4i 16V Turbo

I replaced my Mokka 1.4 Turbo, which I had driven for two years four months without a problem. This new car suffers from a hesitation problem when pulling away in first gear, similar it seems to a previous reviewer in Sussex. All I am getting from my dealer, who cannot reproduce the experience, is that Vauxhall consider it to be a characteristic of the engine/gearbox. Design fault to my way of thinking.
Good
Good

Not as economical as I thought it should be

cdtd

Worst car i've ever owned. The brakes can be locked on in hot weather, the air conditioning only works intermittently, there's poor vision out and a miniscule boot.

Always start ok

1.4 Turbo 5dr

32.6
My wife selected this Mokka X as a replacement for a BMW 218i Tourer as she had access problems. My word, what a shock! I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The Pros: Seating position and heated seats. The Cons: Literally everything else. It seems like a half-hearted attempt to create an SUV for all purposes, but has failed in every department.

Recommended

Vauxhall Mokka
6 Apr 2021

Vauxhall Mokka SUV review

Vauxhall Mokka: old vs new
Vauxhall Mokka old vs new header
Vauxhall Mokka