Volkswagen Golf R hatchback owner reviews

"The Volkswagen Golf R is quick, fun, and practical but we're not sure it's worth the extra expense over the standard Golf GTI"

• Electrics, Other (1 cases)

r 5 door

Bought a used 2 year old Golf R with only 12500 miles to replace my GTI Performance. This is a brilliant car and I can only echo the comments from the other reviewers. So far I have had no problems with the car. Fortunately the car came shod with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres which are definitely better than the Bridgestones that were on the GTI. To date, fuel consumption is roughly 32 around town and 38 on motorways, making it cost effective to run for my needs.

Only had the car a few weeks but no problems todate.

For a model based on a family hatchback the performance is all you would really ever need on todays crowded roads.To drive it is to believe it! This car is an extremely fast and safe car to drive with good brakes and impeccable handling.

Considering the performance on tap the fuel consumption and insurance costs are pretty reasonable.

R 2.0 TSI 300PS 4MOTION 6spd 5dr DSG

Amazing car, until I had it stolen. Just watch out at the moment as the golf R is at the top of the thieving list due to its speed. Also had my Q7 nicked! Anyway, very fast car with handling that resembles a go cart. The exterior is sporty and stylish and looks amazing in the blue. Interior is simple and smart. the extra money paid for the leather seats is worth it.

for the 2 months i had it it was fine but a strange rattling sound inside the dashboard when going around roundabouts...

love the speed!
fair

mk7 R

The Golf R mk7 is exceptionally good overall. My car is equipped with DCC and DSG transmission. The car is really capable and fast when needed and with the DCC you can adjust it nicely to your driving. It sounds really cool with the race-mode too. The interior is functional and everything is in the right place. I had an issue with the Haldex-pump, but this being a second hand car the system was not serviced enough or the pump just died. Everything in order with the new pump and the car is a blast to drive and even offer some rear on slippery surface with traction control off. It's also really comfortable and I can't complain about the Dynaudio sound system.

2016, auto with DCC

I bought my 2016 Golf R, trading in my 2008 BMW 328i, in 2016 after testing other similar small performance sedans/hatchbacks - Lexus IS 350 F sport, Cadillac ATS V6, BMW 228i and M235i, Subaru WRX, and Audi A3 and S3. Of all the cars, it had the best overall performance feel, especially in terms of steering. Also, it cost many thousands less than the others. I love driving it but, reliability hasn't been the greatest. Battery needed replacing after 2 years and coolant pump after 2.5 years. Most annoyingly, the active cruise control started having problems one year out where it will turn off for 30-60 seconds and then resume working. The dealer has not been able to fix this issue. This happens almost every day. Otherwise, amazing performance for the price. Mpg is nowhere near listed, but still good for the amount of performance. Only other issue is the VW dealership experience is very lacking compared to BMW.

Mk7.5

All the car you'll ever need. Fantastic performance, exemplary handling, great economy, understated looks unlike the Focus RS that looks like my 10 year old son styled it. It really feels like a Porsche that looks like a Golf, simply stunning. 100% reliability so far (owned for a year). I've opted for DSG (must have), Lapis Blue, sunroof & parking camera. My only gripe is the cost of extras. A slap on the wrist for VW – they're way over priced, I mean over £2.5K for leather. come on VW. You could easily spec the car to 50K but luckily the it comes with enough bits to keep most people happy. Highly recommended, you will not be disappointed

Mk 7 Manual 5 Door

Definitely the best car I have ever owned. It is supremely practical with rear seats folding flat meaning quite a few trips to IKEA. Took it on a 3,000 mile round trip to the Pyrenees of Spain in the summer and very comfortable it was on this 2 day journey and a complete joy to drive on the hairpin laden mountain roads. Averages about 320 miles on a tank of super unleaded which means rarely less than 30mpg and I never have it in anything other than race mode (why would you!). My son (a WRX owner) also drives this car and absolutely loves it and has described it as like a mini-GTR and not long after he said that we heard that term used by car reviewers. Road holding is brilliant, it is so composed with fantastic damping and the brakes are both progressive and highly effective. Bought from a car-broker at under £27K and to my mind it is a bargain.

DSG

2019

Went from an unreliable Range Rover Velar 3.0 prior to this. So the Golf R was a culture shock, but expected. It was a two week old manager's car, specced to the limit. He'd added everything, including special paint (Nada Grey) and the £3K Akrapovic exhaust. The only option it doesn't have is electric seats (weird!), but it has leather throughout. List new was over £51K, which is crazy but I was hooked. I paid £45K. Had it 3 months and liked it a lot, with a few complaints. I wouldn't consider one without DCC, as the comfort setting is crucial for my commute up and down the M11. Build quality doesn't seem great - hit a rut and there's loose sounding rattles from everywhere. Sounds good in race mode, though the sound is very obviously manufactured. The Akrapovic bangs and crackles wonderfully though. Talking of sound - the system is poor, despite having the optional upgrade. With the subwoofer in the boot, it's bassy but terribly lacking in the top end so sounds muddy. Not a patch on my previous few cars. Very disconcerting "crunch-bang" from the brakes when I set off every morning, worse if it's stood for more than a day and wheel inner hubs going very rusty (a long running Golf issue). The touchscreen is an improvement on the Velar (which was terrible) but it's still way too distracting to choose music on the go. One reason I didn't wait for the MK8, as that's gone 100% touch control, which is a very bad move. So far mpg has been poor - averaging 26-27, even though 90% of its miles are on the motorway. Styling very restrained - all part of the appeal, but I do wish it had a bit more flair in and out. I hate how the plastics in the rear are inferior to those in the front - terrible penny pinching. Also, too many controls on the steering wheel which makes it very confusing. Not the perfect car by any means, but overall a good all-rounder which I suspect I'll be keeping for 3 years.

So far, apart from start-off "crunch", nothing gone wrong.

Has great go, and handling, though significant turbo-lag if not in sport/race mode.

So far, MPG been very poor, and I could drive it much harder.

7.5

Until now and from zero I've driven 107.000 km. It's very very good.

R

Best car I have ever had. Brilliant to drive, looks great but the four exhausts make it look daft and it seems to attract every idiot on the road. Mine is a a totally standard car with no extras, all I would recommend is changing the daft exhaust arrangement. The only problem I've had with mine was that the battery failed after 2 years and was replaced under warranty.

No issues other than the battery failing.

Under 5 seconds to 62, hoes round corners on rails

Costs much less to insure than equivalent spec cars.

2.0 R 3 Door

This car is amazing, easy to live with on a daily basis, the power is there if and when you require it, it has plenty of space and comfort, although the boot space is a little limited. It costs very little to run, approx £35 per week on fuel. It's had 2 services and the Haldex oil change while I've owned it and I've replaced the tyres. Other than that I've not spent a thing on it. I plan on keeping it for many many years. I've read that the clutch causes concerns on manual versions but mine is still going strong. I'm very impressed and recommend this car to anyone

R

I've had several VW's over the years and before the R I was wedded to a MK5 Golf GTI for over 9 years, the longest I've ever had a car, it was that good and ultra reliable. I was contemplating the MK6 R, but I'm really pleased that I waited for the MK 7 R. Performance is exceptional, the only niggle is that I opted for manual (concern over the DSG box in the long term) and whilst its a fine box the engine spins so quick that keeping the manual on song with the speed is not as easy as I would suspect it would be with the DSG, but its a small point. Grip is seriously impressive and combined with 4 wheel drive provides a high degree of confidence. Just every thing about the car so far has been great, build quality, equipment, steering, reliability, comfort, sound, size, economy, which is around 31mg, the mature understated looks (tad too understated maybe) which suits me. My only gripe is the slight loss of bootspace, just could do with a bit more and if I had known an estate version was coming I may would have waited for that even though it looses a little kerb appeal. Performance and quality for this price I think is pretty damn good, thoroughly recommended and a great everyday day car.