BMW 3 Series GT hatchback owner reviews

"The BMW 3 Series GT blends comfort and a large boot with the performance and handling you’d expect from a 3 Series"

• Electrics (3 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)

320d

I bought my 320d GT about 3 months ago. It's big and comfortable but has 2 drawbacks. The first is that the turning circle is enormous. The second is that the car is very unstable in cross-winds or when overtaking a large vehicle. This is a very nervous car which does not make me feel safe. My dealer is not interested to investigate if the castor angles are correct, saying that if it does not pull to the left or right then the castor angles are ok. If you only go out in good weather, this car might be for you. If you need to drive it in all weathers, I would not recommend the 3GT. I would be very interested to hear if other owners find their 3 GTs unstable too.

320d sport

Love the look of the car, just put it alongside a 5 series and you'd think you were in the better looking car. I cringe when people say that its ugly. Inside it's a comfortable executive saloon if you like in the office disguise, a good looking companion for a night in town and a reliable hauler for the family trips. Downsides, well the electrics (tpm sensor blew twice, tailgate issues and the spoiler getting jammed). But for half the price of a 7, a tad bit more than the 3 saloon I'd say buy this in a heartbeat.

Good

2.0 Diesel (318d GT) Sport (Manual Transmission)

An absolutely amazing car! Would definitely recommend. There is as much space as a 5 Series Saloon, more than a 3 Series Touring and being a BMW GT car, it is extremely comfortable to travel in. The styling, for me at least, is great and it’s well equipped. In fact, we part-exchanged this 3 GT for another one three months ago - enough said I think! :)

A couple of electrical systems went wrong (Tyre pressure monitoring system and Pedestrian Protection System), however they were quick fixes and mechanically, the vehicle was absolutely fine. We covered 69500 miles in the vehicle from new in four years and it never let us down once.

2.0 Diesel engine pulls very nicely indeed, with lots of torque across the entire range. Paired with a six-speed manual transmission, engine was smooth and not overly vocal. Steering, as with any 3 Series, was very well weighted and incredibly responsive. Very fun car to drive! :)

Very economical 2.0 Diesel engine that regularly returns 47.0 mpg with regular motorway and city driving. BMW Service Plan meant that servicing was cheap, although MOT failed on one brake pad; admittedly, it was expensive to replace, but was only expensive running cost.

330i Msport

Fantastic space management inside this car especially for six foot plus passengers. It drives like a BMW should, with no reliability issues and reasonable fuel economy. The adaptive suspension works very well although the terrible condition of our roads means selective use of sport settings. Wish it had a rear wiper to use at low speeds, the airflow clears the rear screen with the spoiler extended at higher speeds. It would also feel better without the run flat tyres (with a spare wheel provided instead). My local BMW dealer is pretty good and organised a set of wheels with winter tyres, which I highly recommended on a rear wheel drive car.

318d se

This car is so poor it’s unreal, think Jay z done a song for it 99 problems and being bmw is everyone. The car is so uncomfortable, my fault should have went with the m sport, but after this car was 1.5yrs old it’s been problem after problem think I should get watchdog onto it. So first problem was the alternator at 60k with few other issues fan belt etc, then constantly engine management light issues, which has led to dfp filter being changed multiple times, egr valve being changed multiple times and the sensors coolers etc being replaced multiple times, the turbo has been replaced as it stretched damaged engine components so more or less had engine replaced, had steering rack replaced, had coolant leak, had oil leak, had drivetrain replaced few other major issues in there. BMW have been happily taking money off me since the car has been out of warranty even know it’s all still tying under the engine management light issue, after I pay the light usually staying off for a day to a few weeks then back on, now the light is on again and the drivetrain light is on they are looking me to replace the dpf again for the 3rd time and looking over 2k to do the work. This car is the worst car on the road or BMW are negligent towards the work being carried out on the car, I’d recommend staying clear of bmw went from my favourite car to least favourite feels like there is corruption here.

330D M Sport

This car is a delight to drive. I never wanted an automatic but within the first few weeks of owning this car i am sure I will never go back to manual. Downfall - DON'T read any reviews regarding MPG. It drinks fuel and is 5-10 mpg down on what you are told it can achieve. I don't tear around town and struggle to get 40mpg. On dual carriage and motorway you need to be in eco pro to get close to 50 mpg. BUT..... my gosh, if you do put your foot down you tear the road up... it's a beauty to drive, really. :)
no issues

Outstanding

Delivers well below any reviews I read or BMW's suggestion that it does 46/61/54... you need to take 5-10 mpg off each number for a more realistic economy..

330d

I am on my third GT my first was a 320d luxury and I covered 24,000 miles trouble free in a year. My second was a 320d luxury which I covered 15,000 miles in a year. The only thing about the 2 litre engine is that they are a bit noisy, the 2014 model had a irritating noise from the turbo and after two visits to the service department of my local BMW agents I was told that the noise was normal for this model. I was so disappointed as I love the GT model . I decided to go for the 3 litre 330dGT m sport with all the goodies, what a difference. I thought the 320d was good but the 330d is so much better. The six cylinder engine is superb, so quite and the power is unbelievable in comparison to the 2litre variant . The 3 litre version averages 45 mpg compared to the 2litre around 49 mpg so for 4 mpg difference I would go for the 3 litre every time. The BMW 3 series GT Is an excellent all rounder, drives like an executive saloon , has the room of an estate and the versatility of an hatchback coupled with its sporty drive, a great all rounder.

3 litre is brilliant and nearly the same mpg as the 2 litre.

Extreamly good mpg

320i xDrive

I am totally in love with this car. The looks are super stylish (don't believe the rubbish people write, go see it yourself) and it is the first car that I've own that actually gets compliments from strangers: "whoa, thats a cool car", "that looks speedy" etc. As its 10cm longer than saloon its considerably larger car and the inside space (and trunk space) is great. I can easily fit in a family with three kids and all the stuff needed for a long weekend trip to the cottage. I also like the fact that the car sits couple of centimeters higher than saloon, it makes getting in and out much easier in everyday use. On long trips this is the most comfortable car to drive that I've owned and especially if the road has some twists and turns the BMW will really make you smile. Only drawback that I have found is the frameless windows (which look awesome in summer) in icy conditions. When you open the door the system will drop the window a few millimeters and then close automatically once door is shut. In some specific conditions this can freeze up. I would assume that this is issue only in northern countries. Its a real pity that BMW seems to discontinue the 3GT line. I think it's the best value vs money that their lineup has had. With the price of a 3 series you get space and comfort of 7 series combined with the sporty looks of 4 or 5 series Gran Coupe... I can't imagine any other reason for discontinuation than that the 3GT was cannibalising the market share of the more expensive models.

335D XDRIVE

Absolutely brilliant car. I've covered 9000 miles in 4 months so it's nicely run in. I can get 50mpg on a run, or it can be lots of fun, but you cant have both! I love the adaptive suspension mode and the way it can add weight to the steering. Quality seems good so far, there's just a faint buzz from the passenger door when driving over rough tarmac. I'll get it looked at when I get the chance. Otherwise it does everything and more. I have three kids and i'm 6ft 3 ins, there's huge legroom in the back even behind me, more in fact than my previous Audi A6 Avant. I'm so pleased I leased it as there are some great leasing deals about, but I wouldn't buy it new.

335D X-Drive Luxury

I really can't fault this car at all. I have been driving for 46 years and I can honestly say this is the best car I have ever driven - so far. I have previously been a Merc man but decided it was time for a change. I took delivery of the GT over the Easter break. I opted for the Luxury pack with the 335 Diesel engine. Put it in Sports + Mode and it turns into a rocket - with 300 BHP on tap. Lift the tailgate and the boot is huge - room enough for four grandchildren, the dog and the wife. It's comfortable and the sound system is great - even without the optional upgrade. It is one of those cars that you never want to get out of. Highly recommended.

320d sport

I haven't had the car long but am really impressed with it - stylish yet practical. I'm 6'2" and have loads of room behind me and haven't had that before in a car. The boot is huge and the car drives really well and the extra height doesn't really seem to affect the handling. My only minor criticism is that it changes up a bit early so there's a slight lag on acceleration when you need it. In summary, a practical take on a great car when you need more practicality than a saloon and don't want an estate.

Bit early to tell, but none so far
Very good when required - no complaints

Very reasonable

335d xdrive msport

Cons: Frameless windows stick when icy and cannot get in car as window will not retract. Boot when raining bails water into the boot space when opening, massive back window and no wiper! I commute uphill and down dale with a three junction sprint on the motorway and see between 33-35mpg, but to be fair I have seen 50+ on a good run. After what seems an infinity they have only just got away from the orange dial dash on the 2018 models and gone digital LCD. Pros: 315bhp on tap out of the twin-power tractor engine through the eight-speed automatic box is seamless and you need to keep an eye on the mph dial, 0-62mph in under five seconds is very quick! Comfort and space are great, there's plenty of room front and rear and it's quiet on the motorway.

Have an issue with car constantly asking me to change key fob battery which was done by BMW but persistent warning. National recall on EGR cooler, took a month to sort out. BMW customer care shocking they put you in a hire which doesn't match your own vehicle as quote "we only have to keep you mobile" good advertising for the other dealers.

Blisteringly quick, it is a wolf in sheep's clothing! If you don't believe me look at the performance stats against a rival for a like-for-like comparison.

RFT tyres don't come cheap not much change out of £800. I go to a specialist BMW and get service 2/3 the price of main dealers.

320d sport

Excellent car, really smooth and comfortable. I'm 6'2 and so is my son but he can sit behind me comfortably. My only criticism is rear visibility - I would get a reversing camera. Other than that - really pleased

2.0L Luxury

The exterior is excellent. However, it's let down by poor quality & comfort seats. It's underpowered and brakes are no very responsive.

2.0 d M Sport 5 door

I have only recently bought this vehicle. I would say don't be put off by what the critics say about the shape because it looks really good when you actually see it in the metal. I have three children, and one is a baby hence why I needed something bigger than my 1 series. This is a perfect family car in my opinion. There is loads of room in the front and rear for everyone. The boot is huge and perfect for a pram with still loads of room. My car colour is mineral grey and looks class. It handles fine and the leather sports seats and higher driving position are both very comfortable. The engine size suits my needs and is economical to run. Like all M Sport models this car is no different, and I would advise to pay the extra.

335d xdrive M sport

Fantastic piece of kit - when in sport mode you get 312 bhp on tap, 600nm torque, 0-60 in 4.8 secs. Factory fitted towbar which appears with a touch of a button and retracts the same way. Tows the caravan with ease, in fact you don't know its behind you !! I have to set limiter at 65 !!?? and 30 mpg plus. Solo its like a limo and in eco mode it returns up to 55 mpg. 4 wheel drive as well. Only one moan - with frame less windows you get rained on with the window slightly down

nothing as yet

outstanding

great for a 3 litre average 45 mpg solo on motorway up to 55 mpg towing a large caravan - 30 mpg

320i Modern

Andy from Somerset has got it absolutely right in every respect. It's a brilliant car. Great to drive, nicely finished off and huge inside, massive boot, lots of toys. I was going to buy a new 5 Series Touring, but after having people carriers and estates for years, really fancied something a bit different, and this fits the bill perfectly. If you are thinking of buying one, don't hesitate.

320i X drive luxury

I now have had this car for about 7 months. The car is superb. Can't think of any other word. To me the car looks stylish with frameless windows. The luxury trim is best with chrome finish. Space is amazing and rivals a Series 7 in the back. All our family members are tall about 6 feet and we feel comfortable (4 people). The drive is smooth and the only gripe is some tyre noise on motorway. Otherwise it handles very well from winding country roads to highway. I am unable to understand why the critics always water it down. The price of a 3 series is not much. The other big advantage is that Xdrive is available while 5 series and 7 series this is not available. All in all I am very pleased.
No problems so far.
Very smooth, quite engine. Fairly punchy.
Fairly good for petrol car - £50 gets me 400 miles.

320d GT Luxury

Having read many of the critics reviews of the GT I was struck by the common themes of it being less than good to look at, tyre noise when driving at any speed and that it was not in the same league as the saloon. It seems that critics just follow the crowd and spout the same views so as to not stand out or be seen as different. I'm not a critic, just a new 320d GT automatic owner. The car is outstanding. It drives beautifully with crisp handling, precise control, slick gear changes which are almost imperceptible, and an elegant poise. The shape is very stylish and, as a larger car, the shape is well balanced and it draws numerous glances from other drivers. The space inside is cavernous without seeming too large - I am 6'5" and can still fit comfortably in the rear seat behind the drivers seat when it has been set fully back. The equipment and fit is excellent with a classy finish. Yes, there is tyre noise but since you can barely hear the engine that is unsurprising. The performance is sprightly yet I have averaged over 51mpg so far. The price is higher than the base 3 Series but you are getting a car which is 3 Series in the front, near 7 Series in the back and a large boot which can carry more than a 3 Series touring. I've been driving for 36 years but this is the finest car I have ever owned. Don't believe the sheeplike critics who are loath to praise too highly, they wouldn't be critics if they did. If you are dithering try one and see for yourself.

Never put a foot wrong.

Quick and slick gear changes allow a smooth yet rapid acceleration, especially in sport gearbox mode. The ride is nimble and precise with very good control during cornering. On a long run with comfort mode set the ride quality is smooth and requires little effort.

The gloom mongers said the 57mpg combined figure was way over the odds - I have achieved a long day driving at over 54mpg with a running average of 51.4mpg. Yes, if you drive aggressively the number drops but it is still a good figure for the size of car.

328i msport

Brilliant car. Very practical for anyone with kids but still sporty, very comfortable and fantastic driving options available being able to switch between modes. I cant think about anything remotely negative about this car.

330 GT automatic

Terrific car, always so pleased to go off on a long trip. The outstanding points are the genuine GT performance with lots of power and torque making it an effortless experience. The space inside is exceptional both for people and luggage. Some may disapprove of the looks but mine in Estoril blue looks good in M Sport trim. Great car to drive, 100% reliable over 21,000 miles from new. Great engine, fit and finish and the LED headlights are the best I have ever used. I have a set of BMW supplied wheels with winter tyres the make the ride just a little softer and comfortable. I have adaptive cruise control , auto parking assist and a reversing camera, all worth having. Such a pity this model has been dropped from the BMW model range.

Nothing to report.

With adaptable driving modes it is all points from luxury cruiser to sports car.
Reasonable economy and when in ECO mode very good.