Citroën C4 Cactus owner reviews

"The Citroen C4 Cactus is an individual, practical and affordable family car with some well thought-out features like clever suspension to soak up bumps"

• Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

Flair 100 Blue 1.6 Hdi All Black

71.5
I have a beautifully presented ex-demo car. It arrived from Citroen with very low mileage and fitted with all available extras. Its glass roof makes the roomy interior feel even larger. The 60/40 split rear seat much missed on other C4 Cacti allows for better, more practical use of the available load space. The 17" black alloys give the car rugged looks and excellent grip on most road surfaces. Poorly maintained local roads present no problems for this nimble car. The Stop start, Rear view reversing camera, Self parking and Fully auto air conditioning all give exemplary performance. All in all it is an absolute gem of a car. Admittedly there are one or two niggles, but for the price paid, the car was a gift. We all know what we shouldn't do to gift horses! The rear windows are pop outs, not a problem for those with previous experience of Peugeot/Citroen as the best selling Partner/Berlingo multi space utilise the same. The much maligned auto box (Robotic gear selection) has been superseded on some models but for those with experience of the similarly equipped C4 Picasso it presented no problems.

Diesel

I actually quite like this car. It’s economical to run even on the few longer trips. I dislike the fact it lacks speakers in the back as the kids are always asking for the radio to be turned up. It's also now on its third different safety recall in 12 months which has seriously knocked my faith in the brand.

1.2 petrol Flair edition

This car is superbly styled and looks brilliant. the sat nav is a very good extra as well as the glass roof, because it lets tones of light into the cabin. It is extremely comfortable on journeys. And is a good buy because it is quite cheap. The optional revising camera is also brilliant. And the 1.2 petrol engine is just as fast as the 1.6 diesel. I owned a 65 plate diesel cactus but wanted a petrol so swapped. It was also very spacious as I used to have a 14 DS 3 cabrio but I wanted a bigger car. Very good all-rounder. Would recommend.

1.6 Hdi Flair

The only reason I give this car 2 stars is the fuel efficiency and air bumps. Otherwise it's a good concept poorly executed. The seats are terrible, almost like they have been made out of used sponges. It is impossible to get a decent driving position due to no reach adjustment in the steering wheel. The touch screen is dire and downright dangerous to use on the move. I have been unfortunate enough to have to sit in the rear on a journey and it is cramped, dark and dingy with the same terrible seats. It is not a family car and definitely not an SUV. The car has also become damp in the winter due to the dreadfull ventilation. Thankfully it's a lease as if I'd paid cash for this poor vehicle I'd be more disappointed.

110 Flair Panoramic roof

A sometime infuriating mix of brilliant and annoying! Good - fun to drive, 110 3cyl is torquey and characterful, looks great, cheap to run, lightweight and agile in town, surprisingly refined at motorway speeds, ride good but bigger tyres make it choppy at times. Cons - Media system far too slow to respond at times. Have updated firmware but still..can be dangerous prodding away at the screen. front seats a little unsupportive, needs reach adjust steering, HVAC controls too fiddly to adjust on the go, mpg not near enough to advertised figure.

So far so good. very long service intervals (25K) still on original tyres at 20K, slight brake squeal.

Very good, quick if you get to know its gearing - can surprise a few cars. sounds interesting too.
Very good so far. Not as economical on motorway as i'd like - 75mph is typically around 45mpg..not great. Worth considering if using for longer trips.

1.6 Diesel Auto

Superb car with brilliant mpg (I once got 83mpg on a full tank). Comfortable, reliable, fast and smooth. The auto 6 speed box is the best I have ever had. Virtually no faults. Although I would try to change the way one folds the rear seat.

Very reliable

For an 1.6 automatic diesel, this is the best performance car out there!!

Very very cheap to run, especially with the citroen service package.

1.2 pure tech 82 flair petrol

Had this car a few weeks now and think it's a really good comfortable car and looks so different from anything else. We have the panoramic sunroof which gives a really spacious airy feel especially for passengers in the back. Seats are comfy leg room is great have two tall family members and they say it's really roomy. Armrest does get in the way for handbrake but is good on long journeys. My husband doesn't like the fact that the back windows don't wind down but we can live with that. The touch screen can lag at times on start up but is bright and clear and once you get your head round how it all works I have found it very good. The reversing mirror is crisp and clear and is invaluable when parking. The car is refreshingly relaxing to drive we have found it a very smooth ride and is an absolute pleasure to go out in.

1.6 diesel auto

I love my Cactus. I bought for it's good looks, it's proved to be a surprising superstar in every other department, too. It's a great long distance cruiser. As comfy and relaxing to drive as the Jag I once owned. It makes a great city car, too. It's not small, but seems to fit everywhere. It's great on holiday. Its reversing camera gave me my first worry-free holiday on narrow Cornish roads. It's fun to drive, too. I recently had to drive Mercedes A class for a week, and it felt like I was hauling a dead weight around. The Cactus is light and has great steering. I couldn't wait to get back to it. It's needed a new clutch and attention when I experienced it not pulling away properly, and it had some some kind of fuel blockage. This was in the very early days, so perhaps it was a teething problem of the design. Mine was one of the very first ever made. The Citroen dealer has been great. I'm changing my car in December, and I'd love another Cactus.

Flair 110hp

Had a DS3 sport plus before buying this with some reservations about performance but we regularly tow it behind a motorhome and so look at vehicle weights. It's brilliant with a great fun factor ( though picked up my first speeding ticket in 40 years !!) Massive amounts of storage everywhere and with the seats tipped it swallows most things - though it hasn't got split seat back which is a shame. £20 road tax though they tell porkies in the book about fuel consumption - 42mpg seems to be its limit and I'm not really a hooligan. There's all the toys in there if you choose the right spec. but it's well priced which ever you choose. SUV no it's a tardis !! Problems, none.

Perfect

Sparkling for a little cheap car and fun to drive

All it has cost is £20 to tax, low insurance and fuel @ about 42 mpg which I find acceptable

1.6 feel auto

This car confuses me. At times it is utterly brilliant. Other times shocking. I have the 1.6 diesel auto. This has been discontinued now and I think I know why. The gearbox is the worst auto I have ever driven. It is not a conventional auto box although it does have flappy paddles (if that floats your boat). It sticks in low gear far too long and just never seems to settle. The other major criticism of the car is that in stop start mode, the car often rolls backwards when hill starting before the engine kicks in. Slightly disconcerting when pulling away from a junction!! MPG is good. Not 90 mpg but you wouldn't expect to believe manufacturers claims now would you! Comfort is also good. Seats are well supported and soft without being squidgy. Equipment levels are reasonable. The touch screen system is OK. Stereo reasonable (could do with rear speakers) with decent DAB radio but be warned; this car does not have a CD player, relying on bluetooth or a USB to play music from your phone or other device. Boot space is reasonable too although a lack of split folding seats and flat load space niggles. I love the airbump feature on the side of the car. This proves a major talking point as well as something for children to point at and laugh at when driving by. Verdict. Its a decent enough car with a few flaws. Some quirks. Some inexcusable. Experience of using the Citroen main dealer has been woeful. Happy to dance to your tune when selling you the car. Customer service since cash changed hands has been non-existent. Failure to return calls, sloppy servicing, total disinterest when reporting faults. They were/are useless. I wont buy a Citroen again for this reason alone. Would I buy another? Nope! Am I glad this is on a 3 year contract and will be given back? Yup!

Mechanically good. Worrying stop start technology. Poor auto box

Decent performance from small diesel engine. Progress hampered by gearbox.
Good. MPG decent although not as claimed. Nil road tax.

Puretech 82 Manual Feel

I drove a Renault Captur because could not decide and it had to be the Citreon Cactus. The driving was far superior. The Cactus is so economical - about 60 - 70 mpg commuting to my work place in town. Saving money on petrol. This version won on mileage per gallon, low tax, low insurance level, spacious inside for a small SUV and best of all so comfortable and easy to drive around town. Different because of the panels and very modern in style. The side panels are an added bonus! Very happy owner

C4 Cactus

2019

I bought this vehicle new but there have been some issues. I'm shocked it was not apparently undersealed. I'm not very happy with the MPG as it has a petrol engine. I will not be keeping this car long, as standard equipment is very poor. It has no rev counter or climate control. It has a glass roof that does not open and the gearbox is very notchy.

So far very good. For Citroen Cactus

Very quick. From starting position. As soon jumps over 30 MPH limit

Poor MPG. As would expect. At least 45/50 MPG

1.6 hdi

Love the quirky looks, very comfortable seats, decent size boot, free road tax (on pre 1 April 2016 cars) and great fuel economy. Makes an excellent used car buy.

1.6 Flair Manual

The Cactus is a pleasure to own and use, it makes driving fun again and has so much character. You get loads of toys like touchscreen, sat-nav, speed limiter, cruise control, jukebox etc. We have used this for short and long trips and have just returned from a 860 mile trip which was a total pleasure. I could have kept going when we had driven to our destination feeling relaxed with no aches or pains and was a bit sad when the journey was over. The driving position is excellent and with the passenger air bag in the roof (first in world but others will copy) the glovebox is large but also the whole dash is lower so giving a great panoramic viewing position . The stereo sound is excellent and dab radio is a nice touch just like the tyre pressure sensor and the magic wiper system that works well as does auto wiper and auto lights. We have the 1.6 diesel which has plenty of power and gives us around 70mpg around the doors. I would recommend this car to anyone and you do get looks and comments

1.6 blue hdi flair

Absolutely stunning car, lovely to drive, very quiet, very comfortable. Top spec model has all the toys, fuel consumption is massively exaggerated, I don't hang about but even when I have tried to squeeze as much as possible per gallon I can only get about 51/52 to the gallon. Other than this which lets face it all manufacturers are guilty of it really is a fantastic car, I cannot imagine why anyone would choose something like a Focus over this, looks great, goes well, a really good quality lovely car.

Not had it long, my second Citroen, the first one never missed a beat in 11 years.
Pulls well off the mark and cruises at motorway speeds with plenty in reserve for overtaking. Probably could do with another 20bhp but ample.

Cheap to run and tax, mpg figures are utter BS but 50 to the gallon isn't bad.

1.6 diesel flair

11 months, 12,000 miles - an excellent car that has been faultless so far. Only improvement Citroen could make is put a permanent clock display on the speedo opposite the milometer. Totally brilliant and very comfortable. A genuine 65 to the gallon is not bad either.

Perfect
No sports car but more than good enough in 1.6 diesel guise

Very very low

Don't buy this car unless you want it to look the pits after a couple of rainy days. I like the car's large boot and also the interior, plus I love the look of the car and am really pleased with it, but I am in email conversations with the director of Citroen UK as the problem is that once rained upon, the black plastic all around the car gets white streaks. It has been back to Citroen three times now and an inspector was sent out from h.q., but the next day the same old white unsightly marks were back. If you want a new car to look new for as long as possible, don't buy this as it will look shabby within a week or so. I was advised I was the only one who has complained, but all Cactus models have this problem.

1.2 PureTech Feel (petrol)

I took delivery of my C4 Cactus in March 2015 and I've been delighted with it. I went for an interior trim upgrade (habana) and am very pleased I did... it really works well with interior design and looks really classy. I find the car to be very economical and comfortable, including for long trips and great fun to drive. It's pretty nippy considering the low power output (82 bhp) because it's so light. You learn to keep the revs high, which doesn't seem to affect the MPG. Faults? I'd prefer to have a rev counter, the armrest blocks handbrake operation so is only of use on the motorway and..... that's it. I think this may be a Marmite car but I love it!

No problems at all
Could sometimes do with more power but it's great fun to drive and the engine revs very willingly

Great MPG and low tax

1.2 auto

This is the only car that when put in reverse goes forward. It constantly stutters when going uphill. Technically a most unlikeable car.

feel puretech 82

Very nice car except it has windscreen reflection problem - the long air vent across the top of the dashboard reflects right across the centre of the windscreen.

shine auto

I picked up my Cactus Shine last week and gave it a run on Friday. I have an automatic and the gear change is very smooth far superior to my old C3. No lack of acceleration and cruises at motorway speeds with no effort. A nice ride and comfortable seats. The cabin feels very spacious. The rear view camera is excellent as are the front parking sensors and they are especially useful here in Spain where the kerbs are so high. The touch screen is brilliant even in bright sunlight. The system takes a little practice but we soon got to grips with it. Do not be put off by the instruction book as it looks so complicated. The only negatives I have found are the parcel shelf which is the normal type with the cords. I wish they had fitted a roller blind type. Just my personal taste and I can live with it. The main disadvantage is that the rear seat cannot be folded easily by one person as both catches have to be released together. This is something that the designers have not thought about. If you have any questions please get in touch and I will try to answer.

1.2 PureTech Flair auto

This car is an amazing vehicle to own and use -- presuming you read the websites review -- i will keep the chase short and add to the pros and cons: Pros: - They dont lie when they say it's 'cheap': £20 fuel top up fills more than 50% (to about 60-ish%) of the tank. - Side and rear panels are very efficient and effective when protecting the car from scratches and other circumstances such as a trolley hitting the car. - Very smooth when going over humps, at low speeds that is. - Can easily hit 30-40mph by pressing gas pedal down (clicking a button at the base) within a few seconds. (Useful for over taking) - When hitting the button under the gas pedal (to speed up), car makes a very loud, nice roar. - Extreme amount of space, back door storages can hold a few 1LT bottles. - Simple handbrake that lifts vertically. - smooth, comfy arm rest that actually aids driving -very sensitive steering (sometimes too sensitive...) -beautiful rims on tire and car design -very large boot space (but with a big lip that isnt too much of a hassle of you're taking not so heavy items out. -beautiful, easy to use 7.1'' touch screen with simple layout. -Has automatic lighting so you will never need to changed between dipped to no lights again. -HAS A REVERSE CAMERA! -A lot of leg room (i strongly recommend a panaramic roof to make it seem more spacious!) -dont need to worry about hitting another car or object when opening the door thanks to the side panels. - Is like a tardis: looks small but is very large. -Very effective windscreen wipers and washers -Has AUX and 2 USB ports -New, world exclusive glove box that opens upeards allowing easy storage of documents. - Digital screen/speedometer shows all you need to see -easy to fit 3 grown, large (stocky), adults (More pros but they are not coming to my mind as of now -- could possibly update if i can soon). Cons: -Car sometimes shakes as if it's going to stall -When parked, sometimes effort may be required to leave the car -only 1 cup storage , below the hand brake, difficult to take out a drink while at a red light (especially coffee, or a drink with a PET/plastic lid). -Sometimes 7.1'' screen heats up and acts slower than usual. - Sat Nav acts dodgy at times providing unnecessary, longer roads. -back windows do not open -when sitting at the back, the front seats cover majority of the forward view (however a quick pro: Comes with tinted windows!). This is all i remember! Strongly recommended the car, family friendly, unique car!

1.6 BlueHDi Flair

I have had mine for 12 months now. I love the quirkiness of this design. Economy was very important in my decision to buy and being tax-exempt and great MPG made my choice easier. It is a very comfortable car to drive on both long journeys and short commutes. The engine runs smoothly with smooth gearchanges. Lots of cabin storage space with good all-round vision and the reversing camera is a bonus. I have down sized from a C5 2.0-litre VTR and am more than happy with my choice. I have the metallic purple with black side panels and it looks brilliant and really does turn heads. Highly recommended.

Feel 1.2 Puretech 82

Very impressed with this car, having owned it for just over two months. Sure, the looks divide opinion but I think it's stylish and different, both on the outside and on the inside. In shark grey metallic, it really does look the business, quite mean and moody! The airbumps are a nice feature and the exterior black trim set the styling off well. The downside of course is that all this exterior plastic requires a bit more care and attention when cleaning. The interior is suitably spacious both in the front and rear and features some decent storage around the cabin. The seats are comfortable but a touch on the spongy side. That said, the driving position is good even though there is only rake adjustment on the steering. Visibility is decent all round in my opinion. And so it's into the driving. In a nutshell, it's comfortable, fairly direct, reasonably nimble with decent suspension soaking up bumps nicely. The thrum from the 1.2-litre engine is typical of three cylinder units but is much quieter. Fairly brisk and energetic acceleration from the 82bhp available makes you wonder if there's more power than what's actually advertised. It certainly feels a lot quicker than the published 0-62 mph times Citroen claims. More than capable on faster roads and nippy enough for town driving, I'm pleased this is the engine I chose. The only real downside to all this is the slightly jerky clutch and indistinct gearbox. Granted, both have eased off as the car moves up towards a thousand miles but they have meant some adjustment to driving from both me and my partner. I've not tracked miles per gallon figures exactly but it does seem to sip fuel even though most of the driving done has been short city bound journeys. Finally, you can't escape the touchscreen all in one system sitting centrally on the dash. This controls not just the dab radio and media but also the air con. It takes a bit of time getting used to if truth be told but it is fairly comprehensive and usable. All in all, this is a very impressive car and one that I would recommend.

Blue 1.6 hdi

I love this car. It's a pleasure to drive. It's comfortable and handles well. It also picks up well in terms of speed when needed. Radio and phone connectivity is good. Boot space is great and the fuel economy is second to none. Many people have admired it and asked to take look. It is something different and quirky, but is reliable and safe. I would highly recommend the Cactus C4.