Ford EcoSport owner reviews

"It has the outline of an SUV, but the Ford EcoSport isn’t big enough for a family, suffers from poor economy and is underwhelming to drive"

• Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)

Ecoblue

2019

After having high performance Fords, I am really pleased with the EcoSport it's totally different but not to be disappointed with.

So far very good
Very good for a diesel
Very good but ford say 60 mpg i would say more 50 mpg

ST Line 1.0-litre automatic

Not quite sure why some of the reviews have been negative. This car is great. Its just not me who thinks this. I have five friends who also have an EcoSport. We all have similar opinions about this vehicle - Brilliant! The 1.0-litre engine is superb. Good ride, steering and progressive brakes. Nicely fitted out with a good level of equipment.

1.5 Titanium Petrol Auto 5dr Powershift

I was a little apprehensive about buying this car after reading many "expert" reviews, a lot of them slating the car, but I took a test drive and I loved it. I previously had a Peugeot 2008 which I loved but decided after spotting an EcoSport on the road that I wanted a change. The car handles well enough for local driving and the odd motorway jaunt. The fuel economy isn't as good as my previous car but then that was a diesel so it's not fair to compare really. The partial leather seats are really nice and very comfy and keep you in place and I also like the slightly higher driving position. The sound system and bluetooth are good and the controls are easy to use whether on the main console or on the steering wheel. The auto gearbox is very responsive and the "sport" mode is good fun! I was a little concerned initially about the boot size but it is more than adequate for my needs and in fact stops me hoarding unnecessary rubbish in my car. The side opening boot door is superb, it makes it easier to open the boot when my car is in the garage, only niggle the hinges should be the other way round. The car is very spacious inside with plenty of room for the driver, passenger and rear passengers which surprised me as I didn't think the back seats would be that roomy. I love the rear parking aid and, to be honest, with the compact size of the vehicle it's a dream to park and the blindspot section on the mirrors are very handy. My only pet niggle (and this is really pedantic now) is the daytime running lights are the fog lights? And the little LED lights don't seem to light up unless I'm just getting out of the car? Maybe I just have the settings not right, will play around with it and see if I can sort them out! But all in all I am glad I didn't listen to the expert reviews and bit the bullet. For the price I paid this is a lovely car which pleases the eye and has everything I need or want in a car. I'm already saving up for the updated version in a couple of years!

No problems so far *fingers crossed*

Nippy, responsive, no complaints.

A little low at around 39-40 mpg but for the mileage I do it's not really too much of a headache.

ST Line 140ps

Very pleased, a stylish car with very good spec and a joy to drive

Very rekiable so far

Despite the snobby motoring press, the performance is pretty good for a well built SUV, not everyone wants to get to 60mph under 5 seconds!

mpg is what I would expect for the journeys we do

Titanium 1ltre 125psi

I just picked up my brand new Ecosport Titanium 1ltr 125psi and I have to say, I’m very impressed and absolutely love the car. I went for the pearl white version and am extremely impressed with the effect in the sunshine. Everything about this car makes me smile from driving experience to music quality system. Glad I bought it that’s for sure, this along with the professionalism of the dealer made the purchase easy. If I have one reservation, it would have been even better if the music screen folded away when ignition was switched off. No matter, I can live with it.

10/10

Happy with it

Perfect

titanium

i find this car very nice to drive the 1.0 liter is the better of the engine spec the reviews for this car are far to harsh this updated car performs very well

ok

very good

to early to say yet

1.5 petrol powershift

Uneconomical and side opening boot a real pain. No interior comfort and lacks even features standard on most cars eg grab rails !! Exterior is not pleasant on the eye even without the ugly spare wheel. Drives ok and gets you from a to be but not a nice experience as a passenger.

Ok

Gets you there

Very poor fuel economy

Titanium

I have always owned Fiestas due to good quality and price, but needed higher door & seat height due to old age. This car is perfect due to its 6-inch extra seat height.

1.0 EcoBoost Titanium

Good car
Very good
Very good
Ok

Titanium

Lovely car, very frugal- 70mpg on computer at 50mph, but averages 50mpg including around town. It's raised ride height is ideal for those like us with mobility issues getting in and out easily. I would never buy a petrol car of any description, I've been driving diesels since 1990 and I'm not put off despite the negativity in the press. I'll be long gone before diesels are completely banned.

Only issue was A/C leak but was fixed by dealer and recharged,now fine.

Could be more flexible but using all gears its fine

£30 road tax,50+mpg,no complaints from me

5door 1.6 petrol

There is clearly an electrical fault with this car, I had a warning about tyre pressure, it a been done and still flashes up. Several times now the car has suddenly lost power and gone into limp mode. I can be driving 80mph on the motorway and it happen or local street. It doesn't matter whether I'm going 30mph or 70mph it just happens when it feels like it. Took it back to Ford, who said it was a blocked filter but it started happening again days after I had already paid out for new oil filter and service. When it comes to quality it lacks a lot.

Very poor

Extremely poor

Doesnt cost too much to run

1.0 ecoboost 125 st line

Great car, great drive and great engine. excellent.

zetec 1.0 ecoboost

I find the car comfortable to drive and very nippy, especially in the mid gear range. The heating controls are easy to adjust without taking your eyes off the road. This is my twenty sixth car in forty seven years driving. My previous car a B Max, was better fitted inside, but the heater controls were difficult to operate when driving. The Ecosport interior is not bad, and the driving position gives good all round vision. Some reviews have mentioned the problem with the sideways opening of the boot. This could be a problem in confined space, although I have not had any trouble. Overall a good looking, good to drive and economical car.

good so far although I have only had the car two months

nippy in mid gears the 1.0 litre ecoboost responds well,although slightly noisey
need more time driving

1.5 TDCI

Very happy with the car. Fuel economy is amazing - I often get 60mpg. If I can't open the back door in car parks then I just put back seat down. I can't fault car.

St Line 140psi

Bought this car for my wife in 2018. Infotainment system takes an age to connect, MPG is poor (42 on a motorway trip). You know when you get a new car and suspect there is something not quite right but cannot put you finger on it? Well, on a recent trip it developed a shaking while on the motorway. I booked it into a dealership to have it checked, they reported the front disc where warped and the pads worn. The car has only done 10,000 miles, I have driven up and down the country in various makes of car over many years with my job, but never had this issue. This just tells me (poor build quality). After a cost of £176 for the replacements to be fitted I had to travel to Leicester for a meeting, the problem was still present. I returned the car back to the dealership and even took the technician on a test drive. They called me today to confirm the issue, but could not identify what the cause was or how to rectify it. They even stated they had taken a comparable vehicle for a test drive and confirmed it had the same issue, and they have come to the conclusion it is an issue with this vehicle. I am waiting for Ford customer service to respond.

Not acceptable

Not bad, but I did go for the upgraded head gasket with the 140psi

Expensive, poor MPG on the motorway

ST Line 140PSI

2019

I have only had this car for a couple of weeks. Love the car, but beginning to see the error of my ways. My fiesta has free tax but 43MPG. The headlamps were misted up from day one, told they would clear, but still misted two weeks later. Love the drive and took me a little while to learn to park compared to my former fiesta which was very easy. I find the rear camera great during the day, but it's a hazard at night as there is no easy way of dimming the screen properly and this means that it glares so much that I can’t use my mirrors. The reversing lights are simply too close to the camera which causes this issue. The thing I find most difficult to live with so far is the MPG. Driving just to the school, I’m only getting 26 ish MPG. On a long run today I managed to get as much as 31MPG. I feel the figures that are given must be false. I have not sped and have driven very conservatively... the MPG is basically appalling and nothing like the figures quoted. Would recommend this car as it’s lovely, but I’d like me you can’t really afford the mad fuel costs, maybe you should avoid it.
Only had a couple of weeks
A lovely drive. Feels comfortable with plenty of gadgets but not too much clutter. Plenty of pull

Terrible. Higher insurance than my previous fiesta. Much lower MPG. Overall running costs will skyrocket compared to my previous car.

1.0 EcoBoost

I have had the car for 3 months. I previously had 8 consecutive Fiestas which are great cars. I am so impressed with this ecosport. I cannot fault it in any way. I highly recommend it to anyone thinking of purchasing one. You won't be disappointed!

1,5 tdci Titanium

I'm baffled as to why the mainstream car reviewer sites have not given the Ecosport a higher rating! I'm so pleased that in the end we decided to make our own judgment as I believe that some of the the reviews received for this vehicle are far too harsh and unwarranted in my opinion. The car has proved to be a very worthy buy, I initially bought one for my wife and loved it so much that I decided to buy one myself. The car is spacious for its category, solidly built and the diesel engine provides a smooth, silky and quiet drive. The car has striking looks and is decently equipped with heated seats and climate control coming as standard on this model. Cheap road tax deals add to the attraction. No tax in the first year and then £30 thereafter. Despite side opening boot, this has never been a problem. In fact when transporting some bulkier items it comes into its own as loading becomes easier and more accessible. The rear seats are not only split fold but also fold up easily and nicely to provide extra space when needed. There's lots of competition in the small SUV sector but we have had five Fords in recent years and they have never let us down so that was also a deciding factor in my purchase. Yes there are probably more funkier models out there on the market at the moment but are they as reliable and trustworthy? There is a new model on the horizon to be released in 2018 with all the mod cons such as touchscreen but the existing models more than do the job and I strongly recommend a test drive so that you can judge for yourselves.

Very reliable, no problems encountered!

Excellent. More than does the job!

Very good. Average mpg between 45-55mpg

Ecoboost 1.0 125 bhp

I used to have a Ford Fiesta Titanium 2013 and changing to the Ecosport is a bit of a shock, the MPG averages about 38, the interior finish is poor in comparison with the Fiesta, there is a gap beside the passenger seat so you can see all the seat fittings, there is no red mood lighting or glove compartment light, its hard to see the temperature readout from the drivers seat, the steering wheel adjustment is terrible so that you cant see the top part of the dashboard instruments as its obscured behind the top of the steering wheel, although it claims 17 storage spaces most of them are for drinks and virtually useless for everyday items, the mirrors don't fold in and there is no puddle light underneath the mirror to help getting in and out of the car, the fittings in the boot are cheap and nasty such as the way the carpets fitted and access to the rear lights. Overall I am pleased with the car but feel the quality could be improved in general. The car is responsive and has reasonable acceleration and power although the steering is a bit light at speed. the internal space is good and tall passengers can sit in the rear easily, sadly the engine is not stop-start and runs all the time. Would I buy this car again, well probably yes, when I sold my Fiesta Titanium I expected the same quality and accessories but my Ecosport Titanium X is not as well thought out by the designers as the Fiesta .

It appears to be reliable

performance is reasonable and its easy to drive

Its more expensive to run than a Fiesta, Higher insurance costs, higher road tax and less MPG

1.0

We purchased this car as a replacement to a bmw 328i and have not been disappointed. Comfortable to drive with all the extras heated seats, sat nav etc. We would definitely recommend and will renew for the same model when we come to repurchase.

Excellent

Excellerates with full occupancy without struggling

Very cost efficient

1.5 titanium turbo diesel x pack

I've had no problems with the car or engine and looks nice in black and my neighbour likes it so much he wants to buy one

1.0 st line 5dr

Car is good, but seat support is none or useless, sat nav maps are from the times of 'Dad's army'! Sat nav itself is completely useless too, as it freezes and breaks down often. Not reliable or recommendable.

normal as any other car

same as any normal car

1.0T Titanium

I have one from Motability. I needed a comfortable, quality vehicle, but this is really badly made. Cheap plastic with gaps in dashboard and the door panels are loose! It's too high for its length and width and leans when I go around a corner or roundabout. And, because the seats don't hold you firmly enough, I have to hold on tight! The stupid front pillars are way to wide and make it dangerous to see in corners. Especially when making a tight turn or parking forwards, I have to lean forwards I can see. It's a poor design, but looks good from afar.

Ecosport Titanium

I have owned the 2018 Ecosport Titanium 1.0-litre manual for just a few weeks and typically for a Ford, I already feel totlaly at home with the sensible and well thought through controls and handling. Adding privacy rear windows, front parking sensors and heated seats to the Titanium's high specification provided all the toys I required and at under £20,000. The build quality, internal space, comfort and storage are spot on for a compact SUV. In a real-world review the 2018 Ecosport has to be recommended.

Ok so far

In practice the 1.0-litre three-cylinder pot engine responds well with plenty of power for normal drivers. Not really intended for car journalists or boy racers, though.

Ok so far

I love this car. I've got 3 teenage boys, 2 dogs & a partner and we all fit it inside nicely. I had a Nissan MPV before great car to but was it was 13years old and starting to rattle. I saw this, tried it and loved it. Hopefully it'll last me another 13years. I love the boot door, it's easy to get my big lucher in plus my Shi-tzu. Mine is at 14,000 miles so far and hasn't had any faults and shines like new. I love the heated seats as I have a bad back. It's not as wide as a Kia Sportage so don't I need to worry about its width when passing other cars. It's a funky colour and the accessories are great, and I've bought them all except a roof box which is next. The road tax is £30 my old car was £480 so big difference. This is my first diesel,but to be honest I really don't notice much difference. I suppose engines are better now. It's a great height to get in out without any struggle especially with a bad back. I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet, I'll review again in another year.
Super
Fab 1.5 diesel

1.0 Ecoboost 125 Titanium

This car was loaned to me while I await delivery of a new Kuga. What a pleasant surprise. After reading the motoring reviews I was expecting it to be dreadful. Whilst it's not perfect I think it's pretty good. First the pros - That EcoBoost engine is lovely - smooth, quiet and with plenty of pull in all gears. The seats are comfortable and supportive if a little firm. Visibility is good from the high driving position. Space is good, including boot size. Controls and instruments are good but the armrest can get in the way of the handbrake. IGear change is good, I like the stowage under the passenger seat and sunglasses stowage and having a rear 12v socket is a bonus. You get used to the side opening boot and it's okay. I love the keyless entry! The cons are a slightly firm ride, it doesn't have the capless refuelling of other Ford cars and only the rear seat backs fold down, so that the boot floor isn't flat when you want to increase load space. Its handling isn't sporty but then again this is an SUV! Pity it is not 6 speed instead of 5 speed. Why on earth do Ford combine Front fogs with DRL's and have signature LED sidelights? It would look nicer with the signature lights being the DRL's. DAB radio should be standard on a Titanium but the USB and Bluetooth music streaming work well. I don't know if it is just my car but the doors and boot need a hefty push to close first time.

No problems whatsoever

No complaints at all
I achieve 39 mpg around town, 40 on a run. Engine loves to rev! A 6th gear would help

1.0 titanium S.

Glad I didn't listen to all the negative reviews. Wanted to downsize from a Kuga and this ticks all the boxes.

1.5 tdci

Use the car 6 days aweek, very good at turning around, good to park in small spaces, had no problems except for drivers seat needed to be replaced, boot space looks small but move the rear seats forward, we had luggage a big dog and more, cheap tax £30 after 1st year, 1st year £0, we all over 6ft tall, so plenty leg room and head room which we needed.

No problems, drove from redhill surrey to stirling scotland

needs to be bigger engine on diesel

Not as economical as my ford focus.

titanium 1.0 123bhp

Bought brand new - had car 3 days and had to be towed back to main dealer with an electrical fault - having to wait over a week for new part. Had a Fiesta and never had any problems - was happy with Ford. Ecosport lacks ambience interior and glove box light - was also given info has start / stop engine and doesn't. Is this why you never see any on the road??

1.0 EcoBoost 125ps auto

So far we are extremely pleased with the car. It has a smooth ride, is well built: feels very solid and has that heavy clunk when you shut the doors. I'm a little disappointed with the fuel consumption – it only averages 32 mpg. Hopefully that will improve. It's a lovely car I think Ford have sorted out the niggles of the previous version and it's definitely a winner

I like the seating, I like the overall body shape, the engine pulls well except when you stay in 6th gear – it becomes quite sluggish and I have to drop back to 4th gear. One design fault is the reversing light, which is too low, and located on the wrong side for a RHD vehicle. Recently, reversing in pitch black I completely lost the position of the vehicle as I tried to reverse along a 30 metre drive. The resultant collision will cost a few pounds to get repaired.

Up to now, it's been OK
Good nippy vehicle but you have to be aware of road conditions when you are in 6th gear. Approach a hill in 6th and you probably will have to drop down!!
About what I thought having had similar vehicle before.

1.0 Ecoboost 125 ST-Line 5 dr Auto

My wife previously drove a Fiesta ST-Line and had ordered a new factory build Fiesta when she spotted the new Ecosport and after a short test drive asked to change it. I don't understand why car reviewers rave about the Fiesta but slate the Ecosport. The interior design and layout is almost identical, the gadgets are the same with a couple more besides (including variable Mood lighting) and the build quality seems absolutely identical. The seating position is more upright than the fiesta (as you would expect with an SUV), which gives the illusion of firmness, but is just as comfortable and getting in and out is much easier. Yes, as an SUV, it obviously has a higher centre of gravity which I am sure must result in more body roll in theory, but I can't say we have noticed any body roll at all, but perhaps that is because we always corner at a sensible speed and aren't trying to find the cars limitations. We like the new styling, especially the ST-line grill, and we like the low and lipless load level afforded by the side opening boot, especially for getting dogs in and out. Contrary to what we were told by the Ford dealer and what has been written on this website the back seats do in fact fold flat by lifting the seat cushion forward before folding the backrest, and both are 60/40 split fold so you can have one side fully flat whilst having a passenger on the other side. Our only minor criticisms are that the boot is hinged the wrong way for kerbside access on UK roads. I guess they must have designed it for European roads and not changed the hinges on UK models. The other slight disappointment is the fuel economy, which is much lower than claimed unless you really really concentrate on economical driving methods, but we were persuaded by the salesman to buy the stock model which was a 1.0 ecoboost 125 ps auto. I would stick to manual with the 125 ps or go for the more powerful engine with an auto box next time. Other than that we absolutely love the car.

1 litre Zetec Auto

Perfect for my lifestyle. You can still get a full size spare on the Zetec – I need this as I visit the wild of Sutherland with no mobile signal, miles from anywhere. I love the rear door, I have arthritis in my shoulder and would need a power tailgate that is only available on a bigger car. I do not want a bigger car. Every reviewer says " it does not drive like a Fiesta" of course not, it has 200mm ground clearance and can wade as much as a Defender. If I wanted to sit on the floor and drive like a Fiesta I would have bought one. Take no notice of all the reviews the new Ecosport is one great car.

1.5 tdci titanium x

Love my car,can't fit a family ?? Well there 5 of us,plus 2 dogs,one is large dog,we are all comfy,had large nissaian mpv great car but even thou this is smaller,it's better laid out,so don't miss the size at all,it's perfect. It says ride it hard,well it's not a audio A4 lol but hard it's not,a have fibromyalgia believe me if the ride was hard it would be hell on my body,plus got 2 broken disc and list as long as your arm with muscle problems,seats are comfy,love heated seats,great for back,high is spot on am only 5ft 3,so don't need to jump in over out. Radio greats can drown out wean's in back lol Streering so light,gears are smooth as was considering auto but not a problem,pick off fast a had 1.8 petrol nissaian it wasn't as quick to pick of,view out the window great. The boot is fab no need to stretch to open it,never been stuck yet. Really like this car,was going to get quashqui,glad A didn't this suits us perfectly.would recommend to any one,have no idea why car reviews don't rate it higher but it's the people's review at the end of the day that counts,as we are ones driving them for years.

1.0 petrol

The bonnet catch is dangerous as it sticks down too low and causes head obstruction when topping up the water bottle. The handbrake is too close to the passenger seatbelt clip and causes drivers' knuckles to bruise when used. The rear door is dangerous when opened, there are two sharp points on top of door that can really hurt if you hit your head on them. Also opening the rear door is extremely difficult as you need to leave so much space to swing door open. I also can't see the kerb as the high front wing obstructs my view. I've only done 16,000 miles and the engine is starting to misfire, the fuel economy is poor and traction poor and bouncy,

TITANIUM 1.5 POWERSHIFT-PETROL

I'm glad I took little heed of the car mag reviews, for the price this is a decent enough motor and has more pros than cons going for it. Comfy enough with not too many gizmos that never get used, although folding mirrors would have been nice. The fuel consumption is not great,but thats the price you pay with having an automatic gearbox, but at least it's smooth and responsive. The engine has plenty of guts, too, and it and has a very good turning circle. My family and friends reckon it looks nice and is "easy on the eye." The side opening tailgate seemed very odd to use at first, but soon got used to it.

NO ISSUES AS YET

VERY GOOD

MPG NOT THAT GREAT .

Petrol Automatic

I read some poor reviews prior to leasing this car but I liked it and it has served us well. Great visibility and the rear seats fold down and forward if you need to move larger items. Our fair sized dog sits safely in the back and has plenty of room. Excellent turning circle and easy to park, especially with the rear sensors. Never had a problem with the back door and rather prefer it to the normal tail gate system. I've been to Southern Spain and back in it, and enjoyed its excellent carrying capacity and find it comfortable for a vehicle of its class. I'm disappointed with the mpg at around 38 overall with the 1500cc engine and automatic transmission. It also lacks a little power. I would much prefer a larger engine with the auto option. Overall it's good value and I enjoy driving it. I'll probab buy it at the end of my 2 year lease and would recommend you take a test drive rather than eliminate it based on some poor reviews. I've experienced no mechanical or other problems so far.

1.5 Zetec

A good looking, smart car. Easy to drive just big enough for me, has plenty of room inside and is easy to use. I used to have a KA second edition and loved it, but decided I liked the look of the Ecosport. The only one thing I can say could be better would be a bigger engine for the size of the car, but then that would put make it more expensive to run. I'm used to it now and love it.
good
good but could be great with a bigger engine for the size of the car

1.5 petrol titanium automatic

Traded in a fiesta automatic Titanium for the ecosport. After using it for a few months now, I am rather disappointed with the car. It certainly isn't as "Titanium " as the Fiesta. It must be the only vehicle to still be using the old spring type wiper blades. It's very sluggish. Probably why the fuel economy isn't that good. You have to drive it quite hard to reach any sort of speed. And considering the cost, it's a surprise that ford have fitted it with halogen headlights. I find the car uninspiring and very "middle of the road ". No real outstanding features at all.
Only a few months old so cannot really comment.

Very sluggish.

Unimpressed with the fuel economy.