In-depth reviews

Kia Sportage owner reviews

“The latest Kia Sportage has a high-quality interior and impressive versatility, while a seven-year warranty adds to its list of selling points”

• Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (2 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Electrics (2 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (2 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

1.6 GDi Edition 25

Wow I am impressed! I went for this car a little nervous of the reviews of the 1.6 petrol being big enough to pull this considerable car and i should not have done. I just got in from a 15 mile commute from Cambridge and it did 52.5mpg. It has a very high quality finish to rival Lexus and even German made SUV crossovers. The road noise is very very low and the controls and build quality are high. Ok acceleration is never going to be groundbreaking compared to a 2.0L diesel , but its 0-60 is 10 seconds, the same as the 1.6 diesel. I went for the petrol as the GDi Edition 25 was loaded with almost every driver aid and embellishment that Kia offer at a killer price. It feels very comfortable, lots of space and commanding road position. I am very impressed.

kx4

I've had the car for 18 months and had no problems. It drives well, is nice inside and made from good quality materials. It's a big inprovement over the old Sportage

First Edition

Love the car but as some others have said the tyres seem to rule the steering which can be quite alarming! May be due to the bigger alloys on the higher spec models. Annoying as I'm not bothered about the alloys and have suggested to the dealer that they change mine for basic ones. Apparently this isn't an option as the car is tuned for the alloys?! The dealer has admitted that there are several complaints from customers but Kia have not yet done anything about it. As another reviewer said my car felt better after the garage had it up on the ramp for several hours but they say they didn't do anything just checked it over! Very strange! Mine also felt fine when I first got it and gradually got worse before I took it in. If this problem was rectified I would whole heartedly recommend the car.

1.7 diesel

Less than 6 months old just about to get its third clutch ( oil seal leak contaminating the clutch causing a shudder). Steering is notchy meaning it does not centre and you are constantly having to readjust! The stop start works occasionally. The mpg although good initially has now dropped back from averaging 49 to anything between 35/42.

2.0 CRDI KX3

Amazing car. Improvements over the previous model are well worthwhile. Lots of space inside and great to drive.

1.6 Manual

2019

Reported very poor MPG to the sales team of KIA and the fact that the car for its size as a 1.6 Petrol (Non Turbo) was very underpowered. Went through the normal checks. Gave it 500 miles running in period and tried various fuel providers Shell, Gulf, Esso and supermarket fuels. Nothing improved the outcome. Resulting on just small non graded inclines having to use lower gears for longer to accelerate or taking much, much longer to build up speed on the flat. A technician came out and over a distance of 15 miles I achieved 41 MPG. The technician over the same distance changing gears even later still to gain speed quicker and achieve any decent acceleration. Changed at 3,000 to 3,500 revs which caused the economy to drop to 36 MPG. The reversing camera system is terrible. It's out of focus, appears as though you are looking through tinted glass. Kia dealership have admitted they have received other complaints and the manufacturers are also aware but nothing as yet done about it. The old reversing camera system was 100% better with much higher video definition on the monitor screen. We have had two other sportages, a Ceed and my wife now drives a Rio petrol version. This is by far the worst car for driving experience. Had a tow bar fitted by KIA and now afraid to use due to having to keep in much lower gears on inclines already. If you are considering this engine size to tow, forget it. If you are after economy forget it. Both of which were made clear at the time of the purchase. I feel very, very let down.

1.7 Diesel EcoDynamics ISG 2WD

I've had extensive experience with a few different vehicles and this one rates as just above average... yet, I still get a tinge of excitement to take it out. It behaves like a car. If you've driven a sedan, you've driven this Sportage. I do like the terrain dominating feel of medium SUVs or trucks, but this vehicle is having none of that. It's low and mild in comparison. Our model is black with black leather interior, it rides smooth, and has a quiet cabin. Kia has come a long way and feels dignified. Pleasantly surprised. The previous model was rough and filled with road noise. With the aggressive stance and sporty nose, it's a welcoming package, though a bit misleading. It's a very timid drive, if perky at the right times. Though when climbing uphill, the gears jump in anticipation of the climb. It lunges the vehicle forward unexpectedly (that's great if you're a fan of whiplash). At least it isn't easily intimidated by other cars. It's quite literally the size of a Toyota Camry, just taller. I felt terrified that other drivers will run me down when I drove a Camry. The Sportage doesn't feel so defenseless. We opted for normal looking tyres rather than the thin lipped rubber stretched around big saucer alloys, and as a result our ride rather compliant. No complaints about bumps or the road deterring the steering much. The 1.7 L diesel does not consume fuel, ever, it seems. The only noise and vibration we feel (especially in the front of the cabin) in the whole ride sputters from the little diesel. With the ISG enabled, the start and stop of the engine feels rather abrupt. Not sure what the fuss is all about, the car literally uses no petrol. Furthermore this ride has a tow rating of up to 2,000 lbs. For what? With that slightly anemic 4 banger, I'd be surprised if it could run with 5 adults and baggage. The seats are very comfortable for 4 full sized people and then some, or 3 little ones in the back, making it a great family vehicle. I'm seduced by the seat comfort. Very seduced. Boot size isn't anything impressive, but sufficient. The 2017 Sportage matches the stage I'm at in life: Mature (debatable), great with kids (also debatable), and stylish yet practical. I genuinely like it and would recommend it to any other parent, just don't expect it to act as sporty as it looks. 4/5 stars. Commendable work to Kia and Peter Schreyer.
For the most part, Kia and Hyundai have a fairly solid reputation for their reliability.

I wouldn't recommend buying this for performance. Even if it were the AWD with turbo, it's not something you drive for excitement.

We got the SUV for a decent price, it doesn't have any special needs, offers a lot, and is very efficient. I don't expect many other factors to influence the cost.

GTDI Auto petrol

Beautiful looking car with great interior, engine and extras, but steering is a real let down as the tyres seem to be in charge and not the steering causing it to wander on motorways 4 other owners have said the same but I think it does not affect all cars. Been back to the dealer several times and last time was in for 10 days, Got it back and it seemed better but they said nothing was done - steering better but still needs correcting when driving. May be fine for you but suggest you do a motorway test drive first. Other faults so far central locking did not work, rear camera faulty. Shame because in all other respects its great.

4 1.7crdi

Stepping up from a 2014 model I am most pleased with the leap forward in the refinement of ride. The engine is now much quieter, the steering improved and the way the suspension handles my everyday route shows up my 2014 model's shortcoming. My 2014 averaged 48mpg and as my 2016 loosens up I am confident I will achieve well over 50mpg as in my first 1,300 miles my third fill up has improved from the initial 42mpg. The interior is also an improvement in volume, visually by design and by way of use of materials. The seats are ones you now sit 'in' rather than 'on' and this further improves the ride. I paid a lot to get the bells and whistles I wanted (mainly heated wheel, panoramic sunroof) and safety systems Kia only offer on the 4 trim (blind spot detection, autonomous braking, adaptive headlights) but I do think Kia should offer a better options list rather than force you to go up trim levels to get what you want along with perhaps some things you then have to have as part of the trim level.

Early days for my 2016, but my 2014 had no problems and this one appears as well built.

The re-engineered euro 6 1.7crdi in my 2016 is less 'agricultural' compared to the one in my 2014 model and still has enough to keep up with traffic and not be an embarrassment. It's a great motorway cruiser which is 75% of my off peak commute and it handles London's pot-holed and speed bump infested side streets very well.

My 4 trim with the safety systems actually reduced my insurance premium on my mid-range 2014 model. VED is only £30 from its second year (£130 for my 2014) and fuel economy is set to surpass my 2014 also.

1.6 T-GDI DCT

Surprisingly comfy and rides surprisingly well. Also - very well made.

2.0 l 136 hp

Just after 38 miles on clock, had rear parking brake problems. Within 1 month the rain sensor packed up. At 7000 miles, the ERG valve went and had to be replaced. At 9000 miles the front shock top mounts have worn and need replacing, all of this without having reached 10000 miles yet.

1.7 CDRi

We’ve always liked the look of the Sportage. As a growing young family (daughter 18 months old and son 6 years old) we were in the market for something practical but not too boring. The affordable price (£12k), reasonable mileage 35k, and the remaining 4 years of Kia’s 7 year warranty left, meant that a 3 year old diesel Sportage was the perfect fit. How wrong we were! In the 2 years that we’ve had the car in to the garage on multiple occasions for the following reasons. Shortly after our first service (£180) and MOT, which passed following the front tyres needing replacing, we had: Loss of power - worse in cold weather: after initially saying there was nothing wrong with it the Kia Garage told us that the battery needed replacing, this wasn’t under warranty and would cost £300. Crunching gears: Gears 2 and 4 were difficult to engage. The car was out of action for a month (no courtesy car was available) and the gearbox was replaced under warranty. The clutch seemed off but was told everything fine. Over the next 12 months we replaced the rear tyres, brake pads, discs and windscreen wipers. Service 2 (£220) and MOT £290 of non-warranty repairs were identified including a faulty front passenger side electric window. All advisories were completed and off we went. 3 weeks later the gears start to stick. I call Kia in Reading, explain the problem and am told I have to wait a week to be seen if I don’t want a courtesy car and 3 weeks if I do. I opt for the earlier option. The car doesn’t make it to Kia as whilst on route I can’t engage any of the gears. Kia won’t collect so have it towed. After 3 days, I’m told the clutch has failed and there are further advisories such as tyres and brakes that weren’t highlighted at the service. Total cost £1200 and not under warranty. I’ve found that the warranty really isn’t as great as it sounds. Kia will try and avoid doing the work if it’s possible. The running costs of the car are high and barely 3 months go by without something needing fixing or replacing.

Sportage 1 1.7 diesel

The only problem we've had in 3 years is that the clock will not leave BST. Everything else has worked perfectly. It's very comfortable and relaxing to drive. It happily pulls from 30mph in 6th. There have been no complaints from passengers. It tows a 15' caravan easily all over the north of Scotland. I can't think of any faults. Ours is due to be replaced by a new version of the same model.

100%

Adequate for me.

Very economical.

First Edition

High tech car and well built, up there with Audi and BMW. I agree with others who say the steering isn't great as it seems to wander all by itself when motorway cruising almost as if the "Lane Keep Assist" system still has control even though it's switched off. For a car that seems to have every conceivable extra there are a couple of glaring omissions: 1: There is no memory on the electric seats, that came as a shock to me. 2: There is cruise control and a speed limiter "BUT" why is there no Adaptive Cruise Control? And a few minor omissions, there's no "chilled" function in the glovebox, the lid of the centre arm rest is fixed and cannot be adjusted and there's no voice control. There are lots of pluses though, the opening panoramic sunroof is wonderful, the seats are heated and the driving position is spot on for me but it's really nice to switch on the ventilation if the leather seats make you a bit sweaty. I really like the heated steering wheel, the audio system is very good, the safety systems are a bonus and if you need it the self parking is handy. The smart electric tailgate is a bonus as well. The 2 litre diesel has real grunt when in sport mode, kick down at 30mph and it really takes off. Driven carefully I just got 43.6mpg on a 51 mile run so I'm quite pleased with fuel economy though over the winter I was only averaging about 34mpg on lots of short trips. Overall it's a 4 out of 5 as it's a lot of car for £31k and the 7 year warranty is unbeatable.

No problems ... yet!
Surprising amount of pull but the steering at motorway speed is poor
Not bad for a fairly chunky car

2.0 GT AUT diesel

I bought my Kia Sportage GT in nov 2016, every option except ACC. I am very pleased with my acquisition as I read a lot of reviews on the internet before buying it and I knew what to except (for example a higher fuel consumption than its competitors). I have covered 6000 km now and I had one problem which seems to be a manufacturing one: a plug from the xenon lights keeps falling out. It is the plug from the short phase and I believe it only affects cars with xenon headlights. It is quite easy to put the jack in again and again but it is clearly a manufacturing problem.

1.7 diesel

Tha car had a new clutch at 3000 miles due to an oil leak on to the cultch plate since then the clutch judders on uplift but Kia says it has to get worse before they will fix it. The mpg for the first 3500 miles was 49mpg which I was pleased with, since then I have done the same sort of motoring but now average 38 over the last 3500 mile, now covered 7000 miles. The steering on a straight road will not hold centre so you are constantly correcting from left to right. Needless to say I would never have another Kia as they are happy for me to drive a car with problems "Bring it back when it gets worse" !!!

gt line

Great car - so much better than the last one. A lot more refined, smoother and quieter. I can't fault it one bit. Everything is in the right place.

2ltr auto GT line

I have had this vehicle since February and taken back to suppliers 9 times in connection with lagging from a standstill and being very revvy when changing through gears to a point where the transmission has a mind of its own and seems to move when it decides to do so and not when the driver decides. Firstly after a few visits the software of ECU needed upgrading and then the EGR was found faulty and seized. Not having a new one in stock an EGR on a new vehicle was also found seized. Not very consoling. Having got everything sorted I thought the problem would be resolved but the lagging remained. Whilst towing a caravan the downhill brake light came on at a roundabout together with anti skid light followed by a bang under the hood and limp mode restricted to 3000 revs. Having pulled the vehicle over and switched off and on again the system seemed to reset itself without further problems but then the MPG was reduced to 28mpg whilst not towing. Garage explored and found Turbo had blown up. Turbo replaced but lagging remained. Vehicle taken in for a few more days but unable to fault it. After negotiations I have replaced with a manual version but feel scammed as I am about £4000 out of pocket. Customer services were first class though but cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Moral - don't get a dual clutch transmission from Kia. Or anywhere if reports of other manufacturers are to be believed. Lagging with this transmission type seems typical. Otherwise ... nice car when working. Comfortable with all mod cons and drives nicely. But cant speak too highly if the basic function of getting me from A to B cannot be safely assured. Wish me well with the manual.
Apart from the transmission and turbo issues issues the build seems sound and nothing fell off. There does seem to be an issue with the media. I have found and so have others that the radio information isn't readily available. And sorry Kia but it's nothing to do with the signal. Some courtesy cars showed the information and others just didn't.

Not a performance car at all. Tows well when everything is working but you wont get that throbbing exhilarating feeling at any point other than when the transmission runs away with you. Will certainly keep you on your toes.

Probably very expensive. Contrary to claims the average mpg could not be improved from about 37mpg regardless of how well I drove it. Heavy on tyres and the auto version is expensive on the road tax. I would advise take the service pack as this will be inflation proof over the yearly increased costs and they give you a courtesy car for free. Cannot afford not to have breakdown insurance?

1.7 crdi IS 4 manual

Well built with lots of standard features. Gearbox is excellent, there's plenty of room and it feels positive to drive. It has an excellent sunroof and the switchgear feels very positive. The infotainment system feels a bit limited compared to my previous Honda CRV, though.

Full marks at one year old.

Nimble but runs out of breath quite quickly. Does not pick up at all from low revs.

Not as frugal as Kia makes out. I'm a very steady driver but only getting around 32mpg in town and 45 on long run. Kia figures seem grossly exaggerated. I'm disappointed as this was one of my main reasons to trade my old CRV in.

KX-4 2l diesel manual

Truly one of the worst car ownership experiences I’ve ever had. The car stalled whilst pulling out onto a junction and went into limp home mode. Neither the dealer or Kia Technical could replicate the problem. The steering is extremely notchy - fuel consumption has increased from around 37.7mpg to 33.9 in around 400 miles but the dealer isn't interested. I have been told everything is fine. Poor customer service and disinterested dealers means the 7 year wanrranty isn’t worth the paper it was written on. Very, very disappointing. Looking to change car after 8 months. Be very wary.

2.0 KX4 Auto

2017 models can only use hands-free Bluetooth if a USB charging cable is connected and I find this annoying. (2016 models did not need to be cable connected). The xenon headlights had to be re adjusted by the dealer as they were too high – there's no internal adjustment. They also seem to wobble when going over bumps like something is loose. Personally I find turning OFF lane assist helps the steering feel. Parking sensors on the front have to be turned on manually when you want to use them, they are not on automatically at low speed. This is not a good idea. Personally I cannot get fully comfortable, there is not enough adjustment on the reach/rake. However, overall I like the car, it looks good and performs well.

No problems so far

Sport mode makes a great difference to performance but the button is poorly placed in my opinion (low on the centre console) it would be better being switched on when moving the gear lever sideways into manual mode.

MPG is lower than I expected from a 2.0 diesel at 35 mpg (many 2.0 diesels are nearer to 50mpg) however it is in the range indicate by other owners.

KX1 2.O DIESEL

I bought this car new and after 2 months and 2,000 miles it had to have a new clutch. Kia assured me this has never happened before although I have heard otherwise. Couldn't compare it to my 2007 sorento which was built like a tank, had 180,000 on the clock and never missed a beat

KX-4 2.0crdi auto

Major upgrade over the previous model, better interior, quietness and ride and fully loaded with bells and whistles, shame this is spoilt by endless rattles in the rear of the cabin and an auto gearbox that seems to hang on to 4th and 5th gear far to long and is not as smooth as it should be. The auto box on my previous 2010 Sportage was fantastic shame this one is a step back.

GT Line 1.6

Excellent car, very roomy inside and well kitted out car. Is great to drive and with the turbo it moves pretty well. Very comfortable inside, with leather interior and so roomy in the back, with large boot. We had to have the TFT screen replaced though, with a modded new one fitted by a KIA specialist and LG specialist, so potential the new lines may have faulty TFT screens. One to watch, but still superb car, with 7 years warranty, you cannot go wrong.

2 1.7d

I'm disappointed with this car. Clutch judder meant the clutch had to be replaced at 19k, it gets brake judder when braking, which is most noticeable when on motorway which is where I spend most of my time. But I'm being told that Kia is aware of the issues and have to wait for a recall. Now the clutch judder has returned, too. To add to the problems car is suffering from a stutter / misfire. There's no pattern to it but it's worrying when it does it in the third lane when overtaking. The car been to the workshop and had its EGR valve replaced and the ECU reset but has that's made no difference. It doesn't pull well, there's an engine flat spot so you have to carefully judge when best to overtake. On the plus side very roomy for kids, luggage and things like 5ft fish tanks!

1.7 CRDTi '2'

Excellent build quality, reasonably good mpg, very good and quiet on the motorway, has been back to the dealer for two minor recalls. Love the driving position, mpg is not great but has improved as the engine beds in.
So far so good
Exactly as I expected from this engine
Very fair

kx4

A lot better than the Sportage I had before. It drives, handles and steers better. The interior materials far better, too. nice car.

Problems with corosion on doors and electronics... unbelievable for a new car.... worst second car ever... I'll go back to a Nissan Qashqai.