In-depth reviews

Lexus RX owner reviews

"The Lexus RX is comfortable, refined and luxurious, but like many Lexus cars, isn’t as much fun to drive as its rivals"

450h Premier

Superb. I've driven all of the big high-end brands over the years, and was fascinated that the motoring press rated this car less well than the owners. I can see why the owners are so happy. Lovely dealers. Cars that work. Comfortable. Remarkably fast away from the lights, thanks to the 'always on' electric motor and petrol back-up. Excellent range of assistive technology. I've heard a few say, "Ooo, the infotainment system is awkward". It's fine. Different, certainly, but I got to grips with it fairly instantly. Really impressed with this vehicle for our fleet and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others.

RX450 Premier

I bought this car in the winter of 2017, it has been an exceptional piece of machinery to drive. It's luxurious, fast, comfortable and good handling. I have two children who are relaxed and comfortable in the back of the vehicle, the windows are large which reduces claustrophobia. Mine manages 45 MPG on the motorway and 40+ on the town roads. My car is on finance and I'm due to upgrade to the Lexus RX L in a couple of months. I'm really impressed with the impeccable reliability and design throughout the car. I'm looking forward to future models from Lexus.

Lexus has a remarkable reputation for reliability I have never experienced a problem or gremlin with them.

The Lexus RX 450 has a 3.5 Liter V6 Hybrid engine it has a lot of punch and is great for overtaking.
    i'd say running cost are better than Audi or Mercedes. insurance is alright considering it's a large car from a premium brand.

RX450h F-Sport

After owning a 2011 RX450h for 2 and a half years, the new version is massively improved. The comfort remains at a high level, while the driver involvement has improved a lot. Grip levels are much better, partly from the move to Bridgestone tyres, partly from the active suspension, with a bit of help from a stiffer chassis. The power delivery to the rear axle neutralises a lot of understeer, making it fun to throw around, but the electronics keep it pretty stable if you push too hard. The gear ratios are more controllable in this model, handy for anyone planning to tow with a Lexus (pretty rare sight), only really effective with the stick in the S position. Using the paddles alone only allows engine braking, CVT takes over under acceleration. The Mark Levinson sound system is much better than the previous model, more dynamic sounding. The HUD now includes a hybrid power display giving better ability to drive economically in town. Generally a great car for someone looking to avoid the german clones, but at a stiff price. I don't regret buying one!

Rx450h

I agree with most reviews. It is my first Lexus, with excellent dealer in Carlisle. My grumbles are: Slow petrol refill especially if you want to try and completely fill! Also the range of 400 miles that Lexus claimed is absolute fiction. My Toyota would do 500 mile range which was almost the claimed mileage.

Excellent

Good
    Good

Premier

This is my first Lexus and a change from having run Audis for the last 12 years. I was initially curious as to whether a fully integrated hybrid was as good as the Lexus guys claimed, but borrowing a demonstrator for a weekend removed any queries or concerns. The drive train is fabulously smooth, the ride quality is exceptional and the build quality seems beyond the current Audi, BMW and Mercedes offerings. Fuel economy never seems to drop lower than mid 30's and on a run pushes in mid 40's. I have never been a fan of the Jeremy Clarkson school of motoring or journalism, thus I find it laughable to read that it is often considered to be a uninspiring drive! It is a 2 ton luxury SUV, it has effortless acceleration a fabulous V6 engine note when you accelerate, however I personally prefer to waft along, enjoying the EV and hybrid integration. This maybe my first Lexus, but it won't be my last. Moreover, I now have a number of family members now adding Lexus to their vehicle lists in support of the next vehicles.

No problems at all

An EV and a V6 soundtrack: what's not to love?

Very good, as good as indicated by dealership and independent forums

RX450H Luxury

This is my first Lexus and so far the vehicle has been excellent. I had a full days test drive before the purchase and have no regrets in the limited time I have so far owned the vehicle. It is quiet and easy to drive around town and on motorways. So far I'm getting 35 mpg in mixed generally town and local driving and it climbs to just over 40mpg when steady and cruising on the motorway, which for a large 3.5ltr engine and bulky car I feel is quite good. I'm a fairly steady driver and generally run the car in ECO mode and the EV information tends to make me more focussed on light pedal and driving with fuel economy in mind. I'm not completely convinced about the front seat cushions which on long journeys tend to make your bum ache just slightly, but it's minor and early days. The suspension can be a little wallowy on rare occasions when caught out and takes a moment to settle down and around town is caught out by speed bumps or poor surfaces which tend to make it a little unsettled, but its never uncomfortable and generally the car just glide along smoothly and quietly. The In-Car Nav / Entertainment system (as detailed in a number of reviews) is a little frustrating until you get used to it, but generally works well if you put some time and effort in to learning the operation and customising it. The vehicle is very well put together and very relaxing to drive, with all controls light and easy to use and general placement and parking is easy with the excellent electronic systems and rear camera. The dealership has been exceptional so far, I had to visit to have a car feature programmed and an additional bumper trim accessory fitted. Both visits were very efficiently dealt with and staff are exceptionally professional. No issues and so far very pleased with my Lexus experience.

No issues to date

Easy to drive and delivers good performance in all situations smoothly

35, 40 mpg seems great for a large car