In-depth reviews

Maserati Ghibli owner reviews

“The Maserati Ghibli is hugely alluring in many ways, but it comes with a higher price tag and more compromises than other large executive saloons”

• Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)

V6 Diesel

I wanted something different to the usual BMW and Mercedes so often seen on the roads these days so opted for Maserati. No regrets at all, awesome car, amazing engine sound even on a diesel, drives better than my previous Jaguar XF, you can really feel the road and it handles superbly. Great media system, for me easier than the Jaguar XF and not over-complicated. Has great options for audio including USB & Bluetooth. Voice control and GPS also included as well as usual extras like Air conditioning etc Everything you need and not too many silly gadgets you'll never use. Upholstery is class with the Maserati Logo embroidered in them, the leather quality feels superior to the XF and the wood panel also oozes class. It definitely turns heads when you drive past. Very pleased and proud owner of a Maserati

V6 Diesel

Excellent car with expensive but otherwise excellent service. We’ve had all the German stuff such as Mercs and BMWs. To my delight and amazement the Maserati is better built than any of them. The only hitch was a noisy door seal that was corrected under warranty. Even after 2 years we regularly see people’s heads turn.

Petrol, Sport

Like others we bought this as an alternative to what we consider to be the ugly German rivals. We wanted a performance car that could accommodate a family, and in this respect it perfectly fits the bill. Pros: it's a great looking car. We constantly get people telling us how much they like the car - in car parks, garage forecourts, at social events, etc. It's great to drive. Equally at home pottering around town at 30mph, or dropping into sport mode to overtake on a motorway. The power is delivered smoothly and there's bags of it. It also sounds fantastic. We have an upgraded interior and it looks and feels very stylish and modern. The controls are easy to use and intuitive. It has a huge boot. It has the same capacity as our estate car, and people are surprised at just how much luggage we get into it (and we have a lot of luggage). There's enough room for kids in the back, so works for a family. Cons: its larger than you realise, especially given this is the smaller of Maserati's saloons. It's therefore not the easiest to park. The climate control is not as good as it should be. The demisters are poor and we had issues with the vents (red hot air being blasted out of the drivers side when everyone else was on cold air-conditioning), however the dealer seems to have fixed this. We've also had issues with the battery running down, but we keep it outside and can go a couple of weeks without using it (so not surprising I guess). It needed a new battery after 3 years and we bought one off the RAC when they came to get it started. It's had a lot of recalls, but the dealer picks it up and returns it to the house, and as it's not our every day car this hasn't been big issue. Also don't be fooled into thinking the German competition are bullet proof. They don't always rank that highly.

Lot of recalls. Poor climate control system.
Great to drive with bags of power.

Better than we thought it would be, but then you don't buy a Maserati petrol sport if you're worried about the running costs!

3.0L D

The design and style is what sold me the car, and the fact that it is not German! A few problems which have been fixed without a fuss but nothing extraordinary. Bit expensive on servicing but probably no more than any of the German offerings, I bought the service pack when it was new which gave me 3 services at a bit of a discount. Overall it's a delightful car.

Bushes on suspension arm have been replaced and problems with the power steering. All were fixed under warranty.
perfect for this country in all respects

Bit too high, the dealer is also a Ferrari agent and prices reflect that. Front and rear pads and discs needed at 38000 mls which cost around 1750, and that was with a bit of negotiated discount! But not so far off other similar cars.

Diesel

Love my Ghibli just for the amount of heads that turn when I drive down the road, yes I’m obviously vain. I’m no expert when it comes to performance, handling and the like, all I know is it drives better than the E250 Coupe I had before. The only criticism I have is the aftercare from Maserati, it ain’t great, for such a marquee name I do expect to get treated better than I do, being covered in tattoos probably doesn’t help. All in all I do love the car and in a couple of years I will probably go for the petrol version just for the hell of it.

Not the most reliable but it’s a Maserati.

Good enough for me.

If you can’t afford one don’t buy one.

Ghibli S V6

What a beautiful looking saloon, every time I drive it puts a smile on my face. Like a lot of owners I have had German cars before, but never have I had so many people comment on a car's style and looks.

3.0 diesel

Luxury. Beauty. Comfort. Practicality. Exotic. Refined. I use the car for 45 mile one way commute mostly on country roads. I have a family with 2 young adults. All of us are reasonable height. We like to go on driving weekend breaks in lake district and Scotland. We looked at Mercedes CLS, BMW 5 series, Mercedes E class. I had never heard or seen Maserati much. The UK car reviewers are completely biased towards BMW and German cars. So when I went to the Maserati garage in Hamilton, Scotland we were sceptical. One look at the Ghibli had me and my wife swooning. The Italian beauty was stunning to look at. The interior was simple and gorgeous. The tech was useful and practical rather than confusing and gimmicky. The engine sound was simply WOW. And the drive was fast, refined and comfortable. Never seen or driven a car that is exotic and combines beauty, comfort and refinement. So far no trouble. Only regular service. 2 not so good things ~ for a car so big the rear seat is just adequate. On some UK roads the tyre noise is a tad more. Folks go and check the Ghibli out: you will be pleasantly surprised.

3.0 Petrol

Let's start with the good points. It is a Maserati, has a Ferrari Engine, it looks fantastic and is a real head turner. It does make you smile when you get in and drive (when it works). From a financial point of view, the diesel is a more sensible but the petrol engine sounds brilliant. Depreciation is a massive problem and so is reliability and quality. The dealers are not used to selling higher-volume cars and focus on the wrong things, which they think is good service. Reliability issues - if you don't use the car regularly or only for short journeys you will need to invest in a trickle charger (the battery will be dead after 2-3 weeks after no use or you go on long holidays). I've had corrosion on three wheels and the dealer tried to blame a new phenomena called tyre bursting - corrosion was in the centre of the wheels. There's been a faulty boot seal causing the boot to flood, it took several trips to the dealer to remove the moisture and cure flooding of the battery compartment (which is located in the boot). This ultimately caused the battery to fail and the car broke down some miles from home. The car also has a dreadful turning circle, the steering is interesting and the designers obviously decided to design the car without actually working together, the car has cheap Chrysler parts fitted (like the the window buttons, touch screen, buttons at back of steering wheel), brakes are also a problem. Was the purchase a mid life crisis - probably, do I regret buying the car - no still makes me smile when I drive it, after all it is a MASERATI.

Too many problems to mention.

Great - if you accept quality and reliability issues

Very high.

V6 Petrol

2019

I absolutely love the Maserati, especially after trying the disappoing soulless German offerings. It is beautifully finished inside, the panel fit is excellent, it feels alive but absolutely planted to drive. It's very refined on the motorway and makes a stunning noise in normal, but especially due to its sport mode on A and B roads. Performance is very strong and brakes are excellent, although quite sensitive at low speeds. It follows a 400SL (leaking boot but otherwise very refined) and an F Type V6S (terrible build quality with multiple rattles and a truly bone jarring ride) and combines real comfort and practicality with a sporty feel. The fact that the car also looks gorgeous is simply a bonus. Very happy so far.

No issues at all so far

Great acceleration with real overtaking punch.
I am saving up for the first service but fuel economy is better than 400SL so far

Fantastic design - powerful and easy to drive. As yet no downsides.

No problems experienced in 2 years.

Very good.
Better than expected.

Gorgeous looking car which will make heads turn, however it has been very unreliable with numerous faults experienced in the first year - starting issues, squealing brakes, power steering warnings, sat-nav and rear parking camera not working, poor heating/ventilation and alarm sounding for no reason. In the first year the car was back at the garage four times. Not good enough in this day and age and certainly not worth the money.

3.0 diesel

My car was a Maserati UK management car bought at a year old from the main dealer in Nottingham. A beautiful looking car with an incredible spec which added nearly £12,500 to list price. The dealer and sales chap were good, the first year brought the odd little niggle but nothing to get concerned about. Since December 2017 it has done 800 miles in 3 months, but it has now done more miles on the back of a low loader than actually on the road. Basically this winter was colder than the previous year and if it goes below 3 degrees you might as well park it up, for starters it's horrendous on the ice or in the snow, secondly it sounds more like a John Deere farm tractor than a luxury saloon, then there's the electrical gremlins. I couldn't engage reverse, there was a faulty temperature gauge, there was a low washer warning light cause by the water bottle falling apart. The oil warning light is stuck on, the front parking sensors packed up and to top it off the service interval is meant to be every 12,000 but we haven't done 9000 miles and it's saying it needs servicing. I was quoted £1,300 for front brake pads and discs quoted – the same money as a Granturismo or a Ferrari would cost. It's not a Supercar! This is a car I wanted to keep for five years or longer, but to be honest I have lost all confidence in it. It has got some good points but this car is not designed for a cold winter and sitting outside. It's best used when it's warmer.

TD 3.0 V6

I choose the Maserati Ghibli, as I was trying to find a stylish 5 seater sporty luxury car. I find most of the German products of the same cost too common on the road. The big surprise was the residual of the Maserati is far stronger than the Merc CLS, E Class and the 6 series. The ownership pleasure is something I have never experience before. I have people asking about the car all the time, taking photos. The impression from others is far more than the money spent. How does it drive? It is the most comfortable car I ever had. You still feel fresh after a 3 hour drive. You need to make sure you have the electric 12 position seat option. 20 inch wheels are essential for a good ride with good road feel. The engine is not super powerful but has been designed with huge torque, which makes the rear wheels spin, which is great fun. The sport mode just makes the engine more responsive, plus you get a great exhaust note. The ride on smooth roads is great, it does get a bit jittery on some country roads which have lots of small bumps. On most country roads it is great to throw around. The gearbox is very smooth. I do not have the paddles, but it hasn't spoilt my driving experience. The brakes are good but need to be as it is a heavy car. I average about 40 mpg. The interior is good and more interesting than most unadventurous German products. The Sat Nav is good and all of the controls are simple to use. The rear seats are adequate but not spacious, but you can fit 3 people in the back. This makes it ideal for a five people family who want a stylist Grand Tourer. As all coupe styled cars of this price are all 4 seater there is no competition. I recommend you have the reversing camera as it is difficult to park without it. It is a bigger car that you think, the back is wide. Look at the options carefully as they can be expensive but some are essential to make the car luxurious enough.

No issues
The engine is good, it has strong pick up from stand still, the rear tyres spin willingly. Plenty of power when on the motorway. Just lacks some top end rush if you want to really push it.
The diesel is very good. I have achieved 53 mpg. I had the service pack as this keep the costs down. Rear tyres can wear quick on the 20" wheels

3l petrol

I love the look of the car and get lots of great looks. My dealer is absolutely hopeless though and refuse to fix things that are obviously faulty. I think because they have gone from a specialist manufacturer to mass produced they are like a rabbit in the headlights. The cheapness of the internal fittings doesn't help either. Depreciation is huge as well.

Not broken down but problems with brakes and steering

Not bad but not great - I would have expected better but this is a big heavy car

Too high in this day and age

3.0 V6 Petrol

I absolutely adore this car. And it's gorgeous lines. The performance is excellent, beautiful 8 speed auto box and great brakes. I have had a couple of minor issues, however, the joy of owning and driving this Italian thoroughbred cancels them out. Minor gripes include the tricky seat belt fastenings and the shear size of the car.
Engine and gearbox perfect, problem with electric parking brake

Performance for a large and heavy grand tourer is excellent. The gearbox in sport setting is stunning.

If you opt for petrol engine you'll only get 22mpg around town with 32mpg on long motorway runs.

3l S

Bought car 18 months ago now covered over 35k . Always bought BMW in the past. But now every other car on the road is a BMW which all look the same! Used daily for all trips. No problems , more reliable than a BMW and better service from the main dealer than BMW main dealer . Will never go back.

Ex reliability. No problems

Fantastic

No more than BMW

Petrol 3.0 S Twin Turbo

We bought this car over and above our 2012 Jaguar 3.0 XF Portfolio S, which was a very nice car but it was a bit run-of-the-mill. We have also had several A6's. So change afoot and traded in the Jag and we haven't regretted a single moment. The car is pitch perfect. A stylish, fun to drive, head turning, anything but ordinary, well bred Italian. We love it. Fully recommend.

Recommended

Maserati launches F Tributo Special Editions
Maserati F Tributo Special Editions
Maserati
23 Apr 2021

Maserati launches F Tributo Special Editions

Maserati Ghibli saloon review
The Maserati Ghibli is a luxurious four-door saloon with coupe-like styling and powerful engines
Maserati Ghibli