Mazda6 Tourer estate owner reviews

"The Mazda6 Tourer is a handsome, fun-to-drive estate car, with choice of petrol or diesel engines that are affordable to run"

• Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes (1 cases)
  • Engine, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

2.2D EXECUTIVE

Bought this car because it was the best looking estate out there, and with the 2.2D engine , a lively car to drive. Above all , thought Mazda meant reliability and quality . Even though the engine is very quiet , road noise in the cabin is VERY loud. Infotainment unit is poor, cant compete with cabin noise . Bluetooth pairs when it feels lie it Turbo replaced All door straps need to be replaced. Rattles in dashboard and door already. Car has only done 80,000km , and as we bought it as a " long term " runner, really regretting it now. Mazda servicing expensive. Should have bought the Octavia !

2.2 (175) Sport

I swapped my 2012 Mondeo Titanium X Sport for the faster of the 6 Tourer Sports and I haven't looked back. It is an effortless and frugal motorway cruiser (I got 54 mpg from a steady 71 mph over 200 miles of M11, M25 and M4) but eminently more fun on the B-roads at home, keeping up with my wife's keen driving of her 2010 Mini Cooper. Its not quite as spacious as the Ford, but easily enough space for our family of four's needs so far. It is also the only non-German in the work car park and as such gets lots of admiring looks in the silvery blue metallic (the red is also stunning, but do avoid the black and dark blue). Absolutely no mechanical issues in two years/30K - although the left rear passenger seatbelt has jammed recently - probably due to the child seat utilising it. Very very happy, although the new, refreshed interior is now calling, my 2014 does look a little dated compared to current junior exec interiors.

Rock solid, no issues in two years/30K miles
Plenty quick enough in its 2.2 (175) guise. Can overtake everything I need to, even on short straights.
Not as good as claimed but averaging the low 50's. Tyres a little pricey on the 19" wheels as you'd expect. Servicing costs negligible.

SEL Nav 2.2 150 diesel Auto

A lovely car. A pleasure to drive over long distances and is by far in my opinion the best looking in this class. The interior is very attractive and functional though the plastics could be better. The level of equipment is good but some things that were standard on my previous TS2 such as lane departure warning and auto active front parking sensors are no longer on these models (I keep forgetting to hit the switch for the front sensors). The Bluetooth and infortainment system is a bit of a let down. Contacts download from the phone every time it connects and renders the system inoperable during the download (which takes an age). The USB MP3 connection won't play from where it stopped previous and always starts from the beginning, a bit of a pain if you like audio books but connecting via the AUX solves this issue but means you can't control your player via the infortainment system. The voice activation system it seems thinks I am speaking Swahili, but then I haven't found one that worked well yet. The car has a habit of revving to about 1,800rpm from cold for about 20 seconds, this is a pain if leaving home in the early hours (neighbors haven't mentioned it ...yet). Mazda UK says this is normal and is an aid to engine warming in cold weather! Strange then, if the temp is below 17 degrees it doesn't do it. If you are looking for a big load-lugger you may be disappointed with the 6 Tourer, even compared to the previous model hatch the new tourer seems small in the back, due to the small rear door and sloping roof line. The engine, auto gearbox and steering are absolutely outstanding, the ride is firm but not so firm as to be uncomfortable. Road-holding is very good even when you push the car on a bit on country roads. All in all I can forgive the niggles due to the driving experience and looks of the 6 Tourer.

Never let me down

Mid-range power is astonishing! The six-speed auto box is just fantastic. Plus the engine is whisper quiet.

As expected consumption is below manufacturer's figures but still not bad for a 2.2, and getting better as the miles are increasing. Can get 56mpg on a run and averages 52mpg (not bad for an automatic).

Sport 2.2d

Had the car two weeks now and I have named it the Sweet and Sour. Lets start with the sweet. The Mazda 6 Sport Tourer is the best looking estate car out there, my opinion of course. It is also a dream to drive, the handling is great the diesel engine has great pulling power and as silent as a Ninja compared to other diesel. The build quality is superb, compared to some German premium brands that I have owned in the past. The build quality leads me on to the down side, and this is a huge one. The infortainment system is the worst I have ever experienced, and by a long shot. I would go as far to say if you like your music whilst you drive then do not buy a 6 or CX5 until Mazda have resolved the issue. As a result of this you then start to pick the car apart, noisy wing mirrors, I now have a rattle in the passenger door. I believe if the infotainment system was not so bad I would not be picking faults. Mazda have told me mid May for a fix, sorry but I don't believe them as some searches on the internet say this fix was supposed to be April. Two weeks of owning the car and already starting to regret it.

2012

This is my family's fifth Mazda abd they have only had one breakdown

The fuel price is more costly than expected

43.5

2.2d SE-L Nav

61.3
I upgraded from a Jaguar Xtype estate to a Mazda6 5 months ago and have currently done 12,000 miles. The only issue I had was the DPF the day of purchase: due to it sitting around a while with the dealer and only doing short runs it needed a forced regeneration. I agree the road noise inside the cabin isn't quiet but engine noise is minimal making it just as quiet as my Jag was. I am amazed how economical it is: on a long motorway run I get 70mpg, or more if i'm driving gently. A and B roads bring that figure down to just over 60mpg, and that's when driving with a fully laden boot. There is plenty of power there when you need to put your foot down. The Tom Tom Nav is pretty good and i have subscribed for up to date maps and traffic, the entertainment system has a wonderful sound with deep bass and clear high end. Boot size is excellent; it's a nice square shape and you don't lose any load space from the boot lid shape. I have been told the rear seats are spacious and comfortable, as is the driver's seat, with plenty of back support. Unfortunately the only thing that lets Mazda down is its dealers. I had two recalls outstanding, one for the rear calipers and another for boot struts. The calipers got done but there were no boot struts in stock so they still haven't been done. Service prices are expensive, too. I have had one of the folding mirrors stop working which mazda quoted me nearly £600 to replace and fit, I purchased the part for £130 (new) and it only cost me £40 to have it fitted at a local garage. Mazda says it should be serviced every 25k miles, however I would suggest at changing the oil every 10-15k To summarise I enjoy this car a lot. I spend a lot of time driving and although it's a large, it has a sporty feel. The fuel economy is wonderful plus it really does look great. I highly recommend it, and am hoping that mine will last many years.

Sport Nav

This has been an excellent car and has given no problems. The diesel engine has more than enough power. It has been cheap to run so far, running up and down the motorway with a loaded boot it has given good fuel economy. I get about 30k miles out of aset of tyres. I would definitely recommend.

No problems so far.
Ideal for normal day to day running with good low down power.

A cheap car to run for its size and engine power.

Very good to date

Difficult to get into 6th gear in country areas - so not getting the best mileage.

2-3 litre, Diesel

2012

Generally very good but some annoying issues

Fuel consumption good but parts very expensive

2.2 Sport-Nav auto

I recently leased this car on a 12-month lease. It is a 65-reg Soul Red 2.2 diesel auto Sport Nav. It is a stunning looking car, with a real quality feel inside the cab. (I recently had an Ecoflex Insignia) and that felt like cheap plastic with fake leather seats in comparison. The Mazda's engine sounds great and is full of grunt, but not rapid - the 1 Series I had a few years ago was quicker off the mark. The steering makes me nervous, it's extremely light and I feel a lot of understeer around corners. It just doesnt seem to be grippy. The instrument panel is just plain black and white, some colour would be have been better. The wing mirrors do not fold in when you lock the car. The touch screen is ok, nice tablet style and colourful. I would have preferred some hard presets for the radio, fiddling through the navigation to change a station is cumbersome. The sat-nav is ok, also takes a bit of getting used to. The Bose sound system is just incredible - WOW it's loud and good quality. It lacks a few basic features, doesn't show tyre pressure, the system navigation in my Insignia was better. There is an obvious scratch sound when switching from FM to DAB link. There are no 12v power sockets in the rear. The parking sensors only work when it's in close proximity. They are also activated only in reverse and not like the Insignia where they activated whenever an object was near even in forward mode. I definitely prefer this car to the Insignia, mostly because of the its looks and quality, but the tech in the Insignia was better and easier to use. The other problem is the advertised mpg is out, I do a lot of motorway miles and don't thrash the car, and will be very lucky to get 43mpg. I love this car and I am glad I leased it - I wouldn't buy it though.

NA - it's brand new and had none so far
A lot of grunt but not rapid

Advertised MPG is way out, I will be very lucky to get 43mpg on a motorway

2012

Not one issue since new.

No issues in 12.5k miles

42.5

2012

No Problems at all to date

No cheaper than a petrol car with the price of Diesel so high

No problems so far

Havent spent any money so far

Petrol 165 Sport Nav

I've not owned this Mazda 6 Tourer for very long but have to say initial impressions of this last iteration before the forthcoming 2018 model is a big step forward in refinement. This 3.5 upgrade includes improved insulation, body seals and glass thickness and G-Vectoring Control (GVC). Mine has 19" wheels and the ride is on the firm side (which is my preference) but is never uncomfortable and the car feels well planted, but I can't say how much this is due to the GVC influence. This 165ps petrol version is returning 47mpg on a longish run and it's a whisper quiet motor unless you press hard. There's loads of personalisation available with the comprehensive, inclusive supplied technology. Biggest plus is that it looks stunning in tourer form and is still a bit of a rarity on the road. Incidentally the exterior mirrors fold inwards when the car is locked remotely.

No reliability problems.

Only had it for a week but very glad I chose it - the all-aluminium diesel is a peach, tractable and smooth, and makes an amazing sporty noise for a diesel when you cane it. Interior quality is very good and its a good place to be on long trips. Styling was a major factor as well, it looks so much better I think than any similar car, particularly in the metallic grey. Could have got a lot more kit in the similarly priced Mondeo titanium X-pack, but It just wouldn't have felt as special. The only negative is that the steering is a tad too light, and of course like all cars on the road the real world mpg bears no resemblance to the fantasy that is the "official" mpg

No problems or glitches in 12months

Saved 30% in fuels costs over previous car. Expect to target 60mpg car at next change point!

2.2 sport nav 150

This car has a great engine. It's smooth, quiet and always has power on tap. It handles sharply, too, with accurate steering along with taught body control. Overall its the best car I have had so I will check out the new model. Perhaps I'll buy a petrol in the present anti diesel climate. Oh and to my eyes it looks great always gets a look back when walking away.

2.2 d SE-L Nav

Mazda's warranty seems worthless, reliability is poor and the dealer network in indifferent. A steering fault from new will not be repaired under warranty – not acceptable after only 12,000 miles. The Mazda dealer reported rusty brake discs but this isn't covered either. Mazda has switched from TomTom to Navteq sat nav. A child could have designed it better. It can't even get me out of the village; it directs me up a narrow no-through-route lane; half a mile further on it takes me onto a field road that was bypassed 50 years ago. It works out impossibly long and undriveable routes. In May 2018 the Mazda sat nav died completely and the main dealer has been unable to repair it, citing the reason as 'We are still waiting for Mazda to get back to us.' I have bought a TomTom from Halfords - it gets me there. The seats in the Mazda 6 'Sport' model have additional adjustments, but the rest of the range are uncomfortable and lack adjustment. The lumbar support lever is very crude, it amounts to a painful bar across the lower back. In brief, it's an unreliable model with a disreputable dealership network and an almost worthless warranty.

175 Sport Nav auto

The car is fun to drive, has very good road holding and the suspension reasonably comfortable even though it has the 19" wheels. My car has the Tom Tom based sat nav system, so I have few complaints about that. The car is quite quiet and comfortable on long runs. The fuel consumption is worse than I was expecting at typically 42mpg. The only issue I have had is that the brakes were skimmed due to warping of the discs, caused by the pad material used by Mazda, but this was done under warranty and has been fine ever since.

Brake issue as previously mentioned

Paddle shifts are slow, but generally the auto box is quite good and there is enough power for most situations.

Fuel consumption is not good and very much worse than my previous 2l diesel Mazda 6 tourer

2.0 Diesel Sport

My company has bought six of these in the past 3 years. They have been a disaster. Multiple recalls. Two complete gearbox failures. A complete turbo failure. And Mazda customer services have been appalling - a gearbox failed at 67k on 2 year old car and they wouldn't accept liability. £3k bill. It has cost me at least £10k to sort all of this out - let alone the time off the road for my sales team. Suffice to say Mazda are off the list and we won't be buying any more. A disastrous experience.

2012

a terrific well made car which has had no problems since the day i bought it

took it to the south of france where i did 2200 miles at an average speed of 65mph and fuel consumption of approx 58mpg not at all bad compared to the diesel qashqai i had before

Perfect so far

Could actually be more economical. It's quite a struggle to get the average I am getting. Although not bad for a 2.2 Diesel