MG GS owner reviews

"As long as you’re happy with a relatively small boot and a petrol engine, the MG GS looks good, drives well and is generously equipped"

• Electrics (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Suspension (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)

Exclusive manual

Replaced my ageing Rover 75 Tourer with the MG GS on basis of cost and ability to tow 1750Kg. It's not perfect but is good value for money and so far has performed fairly well. Spacious interior, good front and side visibility, willing engine and precise steering. Internal finishes are satisfactory given the price, switchgear and controls are reasonably intuitive to use. Placement of mirror controls could be better, being partially obscured by steering wheel (I use adjusted mirrors to assist with parking) Due to the very poor rear visibility, the reverse sensors and camera are a must use item. Issues so far include ICE screen freezing & needing a reset (press the power button for 10 seconds) Alarm occasionally goes off a few seconds after locking car. (Suspect the car is still shutting down electronic or control systems but have not yet figured out what) Engine is a bit lumpy when cold but is fine after 2 or 3 minutes. Ride is precise with very little body roll in corners however also firm, so rough road surfaces do get felt in the cabin. Gripes would be the lack of cabin storage slots for things like sunglasses and phones. Other than the front door pockets there is a tiny slot on the right of the steering wheel and the 2 cup holders in front of the centre arm rest. There is no outside temperature display which was standard on the Rover designed in the mid nineties? Does China not have cold weather and frozen roads? MPG averages out at 38 on brim to brim tank calculation, car displays 40mpg on computer. Main driving is a 20 miles daily commute to Glasgow on A737 and M8, open roads with 2/3 miles at Glasgow end on urban roads. Nothing like the official figures and I am known as Captain slow in my family so a bit disappointing. Overall I am happy with the car and would recommend as a budget option.
So far no faults other than the ICE screen freezing and odd alarm issue.

Certainly has the power to move, usual slight Turbo lag initially but once spooled up power is there for spirited overtaking, does impact economy reading on computer unsurprisingly. Performs well given the price.
Will cost me an extra £4-5.00 per week on fuel compared to the Rover but I can live with this.

1.5T Exclusive, Manual Transmission

A very comfortable, quality car at a great price. The only disappointing aspect is the fuel consumption, but then I live in an area with lots of hills. Performance is better on the motorway - but not massively so. It's worth remembering that to get around 50mpg out of a similar spec car, you would need to spend around an extra £10k - that buys a lot of petrol! The spec of the car is very good, although its a bit strange that it does not have front parking sensors.

No issues regarding reliability in 11 months.

Even with a full load the car has plenty of pull.

Living in an area with lots of hills, we only average around 30mpg. With a full load and roof box that dropped to around 26mpg - but it is quite a big vehicle.

cDTI

I bought my new MG GS in November from Thomas and Davies Garage in Merthyr Tydfil. I have been delighted with the car. It is so comfortable and so easy to drive. It is the first automatic I have had and I am so impressed by it. The performance and the sheer comfort are first class. What a lovely car.

Terrible car, the worst I've owned. Warranty claims are ignored by MG. The gearbox faults I've reported can't be fixed. I'm stuck with mine now as the trade-in offers against different brands are so bad. Never again.

Exclusive

We went to look at the car because my wife said it looks different, we were only looking, I thought it was a bit to big for her, we had a Nissan Juke kuro. We had a test drive and bought one. It's lovely to drive only problem we have on uneven roads we have a rattle in boot. It's most annoying and has been back twice – the dealer can't find it. Roads around the garage are too smooth to make it rattle!
No problems
Surprised how much power it has,and its a very quiet engine.
Best we had was 50.1 Miles gallon In 6th gear on a level road doing 50 miles hour.

1.5 Turbo Petrol 5 dr

I have owned Volvo and Mercedes prior to this car and am not at all disappointed with the MG GS. It's nippy, comfortable and spacious. Cornering is tight and the Sat nav works well, the media system has the sound of quality. Many people have admired the look of the car and enquired where I purchased it. It really is a lovely car to drive.

Excite

Really well made, comfortable and excellent value for money. Don't understand why the GS receives poor reviews from motoring press as the car is easily as good as rivals and for the price quite exceptional

100per cent

Extremely nippy and nimble car

Better than expected

Exclusive

I have owned this car for about a month now and have used it mainly for short journeys. I test drove the car 4 times before I finally bought. I opted for the Exclusive auto version in metallic mocha brown with cream leater interior that really adds to that exclusive look and breaks up what would otherwise be a very grey interior. The exterior look is a real head turner. The car is really solid and well built. All the controls and switches have a quality feel to them and the doors close with a reassuring clunk. The GS Exclusive is loaded with top of the range extras with just one exception, front parking sensors. This seems odd especially as the car has rear parking sensors linked to a camera. The media/satnav system is via a large screen and simple to use; you certainly don't need a 7 year old to show you have to change the radio station. The car is no stranger to quick acceleration and the ride is really comfortable. Great sound proofing with a equally great sound system makes for a pleasant driving experience. The deal clincher was 5 years interest free credit and a 5 year warranty. Put a different badge on this car and you'd pay another £5K - £10K.

1.0 auto exclusive turbo

2019

Studied a lot of cars before choosing the MG and I now know I made a good choice. Does not feel as cramped as the previous Vauxhall Mokka auto and it has better front and rear window viewing. I think it is tremendous value with great spec, although it does not have a outside temperature indicator (strange), easy variable steering and great automatic gearbox. A great buy.

no problems

suits all my needs and will have no qualms when using it for long distance travelling
did expect a bit higher with 999cc engine

2.0 Turbo

Brilliant car. Great value for money. Even better than other famous brands that have higher unexplained price and lower features. MG GS really needs better reviews by magazines. I love it.

Perfect

Excellent
Medium to low costs

Exclusive

I bought this car as a weekend run around as I have a company car. I love the looks and it is very functional and everything works very well. The air conditioning is very good and the heated seats are fantastic and very soothing. I thought I would only do about 4000 miles a year but it is so good to drive I have done just over 8000. Its fun, nippy, with a strong engine. Now she is run in I can start to push the GS. As an ex race driver, this car handles well and has lots of power once you get to 2000 revs it pulls and pull very well. Steering is very positive and has plenty of feeling but a little skittish over bumps due to the firm suspension. The first service cost £120. I have a new 2017 Renault Grand Scenic as a company car and at £28000 the MG GS top spec at £19500 is better built and a lot better to drive. This car will put a smile on your face and won't bankrupt you....

Exclusive

I went to a garage to buy a Mitsubishi SUV. This agent also sold Skoda and MG. The MG caught the eye of my wife and I, it was far more dramatic looking than the competition. We asked for a test drive and were given the car for an hour and were very surprised to find that it appeared faultless. I went home and read up on all the reviews that I could find. They seemed to rate the car as only fair. This was enough of a mystery to warrant asking for a longer test drive, I was given the Exclusive auto for a day. I have had a lot of cars ranging from Minis (original) to high performance sports cars. This is without question the best SUV for the money available on the market. I enjoy it every time I step in and close those solid doors. I think I have found out why the motoring reviews that I read were poor. I believe that some models were given to some journalists to try, MG took note of their comments and corrected a lots of their criticisms before releasing the version that I have. Everybody should have one!

A small gear selection fault developed but was rectified very promptly and efficiently. While it was repaired I was lent a courtesy Mitsubishi. I am glad I bought the MG

This MG does not pretend to be a high performance road racer but 160 odd BHP from a 1.5 turbo coupled to a nimble chassis with great all round discs and electric steering with feel makes for great performance.

So far - unbelievably low. I was going to buy a diesel car for the economy benefit but 45 mpg on a run is fantastic.

exclusive

A very underrated car. All the media reviews are far from accurate, for example the GS does not have a space-saver wheel as stated! However it has many more features than other budget SUVs and of course the all important brand MG. Unlike other brands BMW, AUDI, VW, VOLVO etc you are not being ripped off due to the badge as there is nothing in them that is any better to the tune £000s than whats in the MG.

Exclusive auto

Its an absolute joy! The GS is fast, much faster than stated on paper. Its a dream to drive and its stacked full of goodies. Superb sound system and its very well built. MPG is amazing for such a big car. The interior is cavernous. The boot is more than big enough as there's storage space under the floor panel. The rear seats even have recline facility and they fold totally flat. So far, I've not found one ting that I dislike about the car. its more than a match for its peers. Fantastic car and superb value for money.

Exclusive

Don't believe all the rubbish you read slagging this suv off, its great. I have an exclusive and I'm very impressed with the drive and space inside. Check out all the other suv's the interiors are not that much better unless you spend another 10k. The touch screen is very easy to use and the sound system has a good sound. After reading all the badly written reviews I have made up my own mind and found this suv to be of great quality and it's worth the price tag.

1.5 petrol manual exclusive

Car failed its first MOT due to a dangerous rear brake fault and Major warning lights failure. I've owned 11 new cars over the years and have never experienced such horrendous problems or MOT failure on first test. Although I've enjoyed the car for the most part I could not recommend it after this safety worry.

A very reliable car during its 25,000 miles of use since new. Very good value when compared with the opposition. My only criticism is the very, shall we say, durable suspension. Great on motorways or even B roads, but once you hit potholes its a real filling rattler. It would really benefit from adjustable shockers.

Excellent.

Quick enough for me.

Very good.

Exclusive

Well what a car for money. Well equipped, good handling. In my opinion a fair bit of power under the bonnet. Nice interior and very spacious. Well worth a look compared to its more expensive competition.

Exclusive automatic

What a car! It does everything asked of it - perfectly. It is roomy, fun to drive and much faster than quoted on paper. Cruising on the motorway at 70 mph and the revs are just below 2000 rpm - amazing for the size of engine and size of car. Its the type of car that gives sheer driving pleasure and always puts a smile on my face! The car has just covered 73.000 miles and has been faultless. I'll be trading mine in for another one.

Ultra-reliable

VERY fast. Much faster than quoted by MG and magazine reviews.

Superb. Average mpg 40 plus.

1.5 petrol turbo exclusive dct auto

I have owned this car for a year and it gets better with age. Fuel consumption has improved as the engine loosens up, my average is 37mpg but on a run you will get 45. I took it on a 2100 mile trip around Europe, the seats are excellent and the sat nav was very good. The Auto exclusive is definitely built for the motorway and was surprisingly quick which I tested it on the autobahn. The only criticism I would have is the gearbox can be a bit busy when new but gets better with age but still not perfect, you have to use the accelerator. I have had no problems as yet and it is just due it’s first service. Don’t believe everything you read in magazine write ups, just buy one. You won’t be disappointed.
Quite quick in the mid range and onwards is it’s best

Very cheap tax is only £150

Manual EXCLUSIVE

42.6
A excellent car well equipped great to drive, reliable and gets complements every time it's parked up. Good on fuel. Don't believe all the rubbish about quality, try one for yourself!

Exclusive

I love this car so much better than a nissan Qashqai I had before. Fuel consumption could be better, though

MG GS 5 dr

Problems started after 12000 km 1- Screen monitor stacked (replaced by agent after one moth of ordering) 2- Vibration in wheels wile driving (wheel bearing right side replaced by agent after one month of ordering) 3- transmission is not overhanging from low to high smoothly 4- Suspension is very bad while driving the first two hours then its OK 5-Replaced the battery after one year of use 6- Airbag faulty Alarm shown waiting for agent to call whenever a replacement car is available to keep the car in garage for couple of days

Not reliable

low performance

not bad for running costs

automatic

Comfortable drive. Lacks take off. Boot too small. Good for price.

Exclusive

Absolutely outstanding. No problems and now with 7k miles on the clock.

Ousts ding

Wolf in sheeps clothing

Outstanding

Auto petrol

Lovely car to drive. All the bells and whistles. Large inside and guide good to look at. Only problem so far is sat nav software not good. Had to have replaced just a few days ago. Feed back from agent, this may be a fault on other vehicles. MG wanted to know mobile phone make and model to discount from their findings
See note on sat nav
Good at present, only covered 6000miles
Pretty good for big car

Exclusive

I love this car the more I drive it. It's got every thing you could wish drives well great, has sat nav and has all the power you could need. The price was great, too. I don't know what car Natalie from Surrey was driving it wasn't an MG GS as they weren't made in 2012 and there was no 1.8 so this in the wrong category so ignore it.
No problems so far