Peugeot 308 owner reviews

"The Peugeot 308 hatchback is an attractive alternative to rivals that’s comfortable, spacious and reliable"

• Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Suspension (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

GT Line 1.2 Puretech 130BHP

I did full research before I bought this car and paid for it in cash. Previous car a Juke Tekna 1.6 - what a piece of garbage to drive and handling to match. I looked at them all, except my worst cars have been a Golf GTI & a BMW 328- Estate Auto - both equally hated. Both of those have no style and way worse reliability than the media make out. So, I looked at many brands and thought, I used to own a 'classic' 205 GTI so thought I'd look at Peugeot. Test drove a 308 Allure and liked it and then saw a GT line with very low miles on other side of the Peugeot main dealer lot, in red and fell in love. Test drove (EAT 6 Auto) and it was so smooth. Despite the media criticism of the 'icockpit', I had no trouble seeing dials. The digital middle display showed the speed limit of current road - awesome for avoiding a speed awareness course! The leather edged trim, the digital everything - the lack of a million physical buttons you'll find in a Ford/Vauxhall, the fast 0-60, super smooth ride and the low cabin noise - I love this car. The only downside of the 308 (GT line) is I am constantly paranoid of the low profile tyres on our crappy pothole roads and the admittedly tight rear passenger leg room, but my kids left a wee while ago so occasional pick up trips are fine. All in all Peugeot have a great totally underrated car and like another reviewer said I can't wait to get back into it Providing you don't believe that SUV stand for Utility, you're gonna love this car!!

1.6 VTi

2008

This car is the biggest letdown of my life. It was great for the first month owning it. After that the problems started. Chain with all bearings and parts for it had to be replaced, head gasket, cylinder gasket, 2 lambda sensors, temp sensor the oil consumption is out of this world 1l/1000km and I'm being told that the engine need full refactoring = 2-3k euro. All other repairs has coster me 2k more. From time to time when i change the modes of the trip computer the rear window wiper turns on pouring windshield liquid. The petrol consumption in the city is terrible - 10-14l / 100km. JUST AVOID THIS PLAGUE AT ALL COST.

1.6 blue hdi gt line

Can not fault car for its looks inside or out. Small steering wheel and very easy to use although steering a bit vague. But a warning do not opt for a diesel engine if you don't cover many miles. my car is 7 weeks old and has done 1700 miles of which the first 1000 were of motorway driving. It's already had warning lights on, one regarding the particulate filter and one an engine management light. I had to get an ECU update and a forced regeneration and have now been told I must drive the car at least once a month for 30 minutes on the motorway to keep the filter clear. Pity they don't tell you this when you but the car.

feline 1.6 e-hdi

Bought this car to replace Mercedes E-Class because I was fed up with service costs. I must admit I'm not disappointed with main dealer Research Hinckley. It's an excellent car - it drives really well with all the gadgets you need. Trim good at eye level but below there's hard plastics, but you're not paying hiked up German prices. Having owned many Vauxhalls, Fords, Volkswagens in the past, this car is up there with them. Well worth a look as it ticks all the boxes.

GT-Line 2.0 Blue HDI 150 EAT6 S&S

Two months on and I'm very pleased with the car - it has all the bells and whistles that you need or want, and the small steering wheel makes it feel really sporty and I have no problem seeing the dials. The touchscreen works fine now I know where the operations are, it was a bit difficult at first. Engine has loads of power and the gearbox works a treat - instant down changes for overtaking, but I've never used the sport button yet. The interior with red stitching looks really classy. My mountain bike goes into the boot with the seats down. Rear seat passengers have never complained about poor room in the back and the ride is comfortable even on 18in wheels with 40 profile tyres. Glovebox is a joke - there's no place to put your service/instruction books and no drawer under the seat.

Very quick for an automatic
Fuel consumption could be better but it is an automatic

1.6 Petrol 5dr Allure

I was nervous about buying another French car after the experience with a previous car, which was a Citroen. The 308, luckily is entirely different, and I can only say that it is one of the best cars I have owned. The build quality and fit and finish is top class, as is the smoothness of the ride. Road noise at motorway speeds is minimal. I opted for the older 1.6 petrol engine because it was tried and tested, rather than the new three-pot 1.2 engine, although reviews I've read say this engine is also good. Touch wood, after nearly a years ownership nothing has gone wrong.

Apart from a hiccup with the touchscreen a week after buying the car, nothing has gone wrong. The dealership replaced the touch screen with no fuss.

I'm no speed merchant, but the 1.6 engine is ample for overtaking and cruising on the motorway. The main selling point was the comfort of the seats, and ride quality.

MPG is better than I thought it would be considering I do mainly local trips.

New 308, Active 1.6hdi

I was one of a privileged few to drive this at a MyPeugeot event in Manchester in November last year. On the 1 February this year I took delivery of my one. My first impressions are very good. The small steering wheel is very easy to get used to and the steering feels really responsive. Initially the instruments, particularly the speedo, seem a long way away and not the easiest to read, although this is negated by a digital speedo as well as the analogue one. The ride is much softer than in the outgoing car and consequently speeds are much more deceptive: it is very easy to find yourself doing 40 in 3rd gear without realising it. The aesthetics inside are really nice with a simplistic layout, which I like and almost everything is controlled by the touch screen. The CD player being an optional extra in all trim levels is a puzzling one though. Externally the car is really good to look at with the "Claw" LED rear lights and personally I prefer the design of the Access and Active from the front over the Allure and Feline. The engine in my car is the 5 speed 1.6hdi 92bhp. I prefer this over the 6 speed 1.6ehdi 115bhp. Both these engines are sub 100g/km in this car and both were available in the outgoing car so are tried and tested: my last 308 had the 115 engine which I found less fuel efficient despite the Start / Stop technology. When I ordered the car the 92 was the only diesel available with the Active while the 115 was the only engine available with the Allure. Ultimately this tipped the balance in favour of the lower spec car as I prefer the 92 engine. One disappointment is that I am experiencing a high pitched wind whistle coming into the car on the drivers window. This happens even at low speeds and only happens on one window, suggesting a problem which I think may have something to do with the seals: it is going back to have this looked at and rectified. Hopefully this is specific to my car rather than across the range however. More disappointing however is that some safety features are only available on the 2 higher spec cars: The collision avoidance system, which is now a requirement to hit 5 stars on the Euro NCAP ratings is only available as an option on the Allure and Standard on the Feline, while blind spot monitors are an option on both those models. Neither are available either as standard or as optional extras on the Access and Active, which is a shame given that they are safety features as opposed to gimmicks. Overall, despite only having had it 3 weeks, I find it a really great car and a pleasure to drive.

1.6 hdi S

2008

Owned this car for 7 months and have covered 14000 miles in that time. Very impressed with it. It'll sit happily on the motorway and is nippy enough for a little 1.6 diesel. Economy is brilliant considering I don't drive slowly and half the time its loaded to the roof. Space inside is good for size of the car, but possibly needs a roof box if going on holiday. I'll keep this car for another few months then will look to trade in, perhaps for another 308.

1.6 115hp Active

In some respects this car is great, the chassis feels very good, with roadholding excellent apart from it skipping around a bit on rough surfaces. The engine has poke, but it is very unresponsive, and the throttle often will not pick up unless at high revs. Try putting your foot down at 10 mph in 2nd gear and nothing happens, and I mean nothing, it just stalls out. Fuel consumption is nowhere near that claimed. My previous car was a Peugeot 306 2.0 hdi, and with my usual local driving in a rural area I got around 47mpg, and 55mpg on a long trip. The 308 is doing 39mpg locally, staggering up to 48mpg on a long trip. The gearbox is clunky and vague, and the ratios seem very odd on this 6 speed version, it's difficult to get comfortably into 5th gear, let alone 6th. The infotainment system takes a bit of getting used to, but once you have, it's mostly fine. The exception is that I feel there is a need for normal access to the heating / a/c control. This is made worse by the poor air conditioning performance, which struggles to keep the windows clear even once the engine is warm. The small steering wheel is easy to become accustomed to, comfortable and easy to use, but the steering is far too light, and gives no feedback. The exterior build quality seems poor, with plastic panels insecurely attached and flimsy, but the interior quality is fairly good apart from cheap plastic used lower down and in the rear of the cabin. The paint quality appears very poor, I have surface rust in several places already, and the car is only 18 months old. My previous 306 had no rust after 16 years. All in all I'm very disappointed with this car. I had thought Peugeot had at last built a reasonable successor to the 205 and 306, but the quality is all smoke and mirrors, and no substance.

1.6 BlueHDI Allure

Top quality car. No negative points so far. A well designed car, the touch screen is a real bonus. My only concern is what happens if the touch screen fails to work. Highly recommend the car.

308 II Active 1.2 e-THP 130 6-speed manual

Fabulous engine: responsive from low revs right up the range, quiet idle and cruising, nice sound on acceleration. Delightful handling, smooth fuss-free progress, have to watch speed as it is deceptively refined. Very comfortable and well-equipped - contrary to many reports I have no problem with the ergonomics - they are a substantial leap forward. All it needs is an open mind, which seems to be sadly lacking in the British motoring press, with a couple of honourable exceptions among the long-established magazines. Downsides? the glovebox is rather small, but it does have room for a pair of gloves so can't accuse them of misrepresentation. It would have been better if they had taken the trouble to relocate the fuse box in the RHD conversion.
Nothing to report (early days)

Brilliant!

Nil road tax first year, £20 thereafter. Excellent fuel economy. Servicing costs should be low on past experience with the brand.

2.0L Hdi turbo diesel

2009

More than 5 years

I have always loved hatchback cars and when I bought the Pug in 2009 it was the best overall car we looked at. Apart from the usual brakes, tyres, service costs, etc. the car hasn't cost me a thing. Next service (180,000Kl) will mean replacement of the timing belt, but after that I expect it to keep going for a long time. Looking to buy a new car at the moment, I love diesels but since VW scandal stuffed everything up a few years ago, basically no one is importing small diesels. The last deliveries into Australia are all 2018, but we are currently considering one in Sydney (we live in Adelaide), which has 13Kl on the clock and is a great price.

1.2 Auto GT-Line

Premium looks and feel. The new 308 GT-Line aided with its i-Cockpit driver set up provides a sporty feel, aided by a tight chassis and responsive steering. The driver's seat is very comfortable allowing me to drive for hours with no fatigue. Front passengers have also noted this (e.g. Volvo drivers) how the front seats are not only comfortable for a long drive but also very supportive for more spirited driving. The Pure-tech 1.2-litre engine is amazing; responsive with plenty of low-end torque, the car is quiet and very quick when needed. 12 months ownership the car has been perfect with no faults and I still look forward to driving it every time. Peugeot has designed a rewarding and reliable car.

First car I've owned with no fault in first 12 months of ownership.

Very spirited. Chosen over 200bhp coupe and Mini Cooper.

Great value for money.

2.0 blue hdi GT

best car I have owned so far, puts a smile on your face when you drive it. The heater controls may take an owner a little bit time to learn the way the Peugeot touchscreen works, but who picked up a iPad years ago and could use every feature to its best in the first ten minutes? The I-cockpit system is not "something you will either get on with or you wont" as the press will again all say – if you set the steering wheel and seat height to suit everything is perfectly in the right place. If Audi had thought of this first the press would be marvelling over it. If you want to drive with a smile on your face in a great driving, fast yet economical hatchback then go have a test drive in a Peugeot 308, what have you got to lose? One of the best things about it is its not a Focus/Golf/Astra etc which are bland in comparison.

1.6 blue HDI 120 HP automatic

It is just a very good car. No problems with it. Low consumption even if there is an automatic gearbox (4.5-5.5 l/60 miles). Great small steering wheel. Good feeling in the cabin and excellent seats. The LCD does not bother me. It's just fine for me.

This car drives like a dream! I tried lots of hatchbacks and similar size cars - before choosing this one. It was the best drive and the best overall. I thought it was better than the Vauxhall Astra, Audi A1, Citroen, Volkswagen Golf, Mazda 3, and so on. You could actually forget you're driving. Neither firm nor soft - just great, smooth ride. Nice looking car, simple design. The seats are comfortable. Boot large. Inside simple and unfussy, including front control panel - not overcrowded with buttons. The tablet -controller takes a bit of getting used to, but I found it quite simple and user friendly.

1.6 diesel

I’ve had nothing but issues with my 308 since I pulled it out of the garage! It’s started with a knocking noise at the back that Peugeot took months to fix, even then they just glued it together so when the winter came the knocking noise came back! After lots of complaining they replaced the rear axel with a new one, finally fixing that. The brake disks wear down really quickly, too. Now my car is due an MOT and we have a dashboard light coming on saying we have an issue with the air bag, no garage can turn this light off and no faults are being picked up on diagnostics unless I to go to Peugeot who are far too expensive. And, though I don't trust them after trying to glue my faulty axle together, they're the only place we can take it in order to pass the MoT! Annoying.

2.0 diesel Allure

Much improved new version of 308 with all the toys - but annoyingly no CD player. Also no paddle gear change on the steering column. It doesn't ride as well as the previous 308 either but my, it is certainly quick and the gear change is much smoother. It has lots of toys, too.

Allure

I bought this car used for £10k with 17,000 miles on the clock in March 2017. For a car with as much technology you just won't find anything better in my opinion. This has worked up to be my favourite car for commuting after having various Audis and VW's. The spec is fantastic, front rear parking sensors, led headlights ( visibility is superb), sat nav, bluetooth, tyre pressure monitoring, auto headlights and wipers to name a few. Try get this on an Audi or VW for 10k at less than a year old, no chance. The steering is light and nimble, I love the small steering wheel. The engine is great (115bhp 1.6ehdi), quick enough to overtake and efficient enough to keep my fuel costs down. It's comfortable on my long commute which Is 30 miles each way and brilliant on fuel, I get 57 mpg actual. This is not the reading taken from the dash although it is only 2 mpg out. I calculate mpg from full tank to next fill. I really cannot say that there are any cons although my one concern is if the LCD head unit were to fail you lose absoulety everything. Control of a/c, fans, radio the lot, the only things you have left are the demist front and rear which are on buttons below the head unit. All in all providing I have no issues over the next year or so I'll probably get another one.

1.6 active

Had it a week,the fuel gauge is faulty,glove box is small,can'even fit the manual in it,the clutch pedal is too close to the bodywork inside,boot is large but rear leg room is small. No CD player,you have to put your music on your iPhone,ie copy your CDs to your computer then download on to your iPhone to play in your car.Good on fuel around town 42 to the gallon around 76 on a long run. I have had Toyota Avensis models for 8 year's with tons of space in the back,its too small for me,and I miss it

Good

Cheap on Fuel

Allure

Really like my 308 lovely to drive lots of room really responsive touchscreen! Much better then the system in the outgoing golf (which my brother owns) great long warranty (haven't had to use it yet) great reliable car (145,000 miles from purchase) . My second 308 as I upgraded from the 308 mk1. Lots of kit as standard very safe and if I was to go by my last 308 which had 290000 miles very reliable as well. Would highly recommend. Car has been due a service For a while and will be serviced soon. The service prices are good!

Very reliable. None with my last 308 with 290000 miles so mk2 should be reliable as well!
Great ride comfort. A little firm over uneven roads
Good but not as good as advertised

2.0 BlueHdi 150bhp Allure EAT6

The new Peugeot 308 is a top quality car, easily in the same bracket as VW, Audi or any of the other German brands. Fit and finish are high class, though perhaps a bit more leather and less plastic would have been ideal. It's a joy to drive and the small steering wheel helps to make the car easy to manoeuvre in all situations. The driving position caused by the small steering wheel isn't an issue for over 90% of drivers and you can easily adjust the chair height to find your ideal posture. Similarly, the touch screen is much less of a problem than the motoring journalists would have you believe - you just have to learn to use it and then you get used to it. There is only one complaint I have: fuel economy. I've only driven the car for 800 miles on mixed roads but economy is fixed on an average of 46-47mpg, far below what it should be. This is hugely disappointing as I expected around 10mpg more!! I've been told it will improve over time - let's hope so.

Allure 1.6 120 Blue hdi

After owning four Ford Focuses, I opted for a 308, with some trepidation, I admit. The reviews are varied and no one seems to tell the same story. Mine is a 2017 Allure 120 bhp, diesel. I really don't know why I stuck to Focus for so long, all are one trick ponies, they handle well and that's it. My 308 is quiet, well equipped and actually handles tight corners on A and B roads very well. A surprisingly good car with no reliability problems, 30k miles in.

1.6 HDi Allure

I bought this as my first “big” car after always running superminis. It's a great looker and a great drive and fuel economy isn't bad. It’s one of the few cars I can drive for a long distance and not few tired from the journey. Lots of gadgets to play with, great LED headlights which mean night driving is less tiresome. All good so far. However, its reliability has been terrible. It’s the first car that when I’m in the Lake District or the middle of nowhere I’m concerned about being in it. So far the clutch failed at 45k when the car was just out of warranty. Fortunately the dealer replace as a goodwill gesture. The alternator belt tensioner failed at about 32k causing the belt to snap and almost ruined the whole engine. The paint work is fragile to say the least and the bonnet is chipped far more then I’ve ever had on cars that I paid a third of the cost and were designed to toddle round town. I’ve two spots of rust just above the windscreen. The AC needs to be regassed every year (dealers think that is acceptable obviously!) The touchscreen is slow and occasionally freezes and the only way to reboot is to turn the engine off and restart. It’s a mixed bag. I love how it drives and its comfort but would I buy one again? No I’m afraid not.

Don’t get me started! Not good.

Pretty average but it’s a pretty average engine size
Good, average mpg of about 54-56mpg

2.0 hdi turbo

2008

The only "yellow/green" one I could find was in Sydney and I live in Perth (West Aus), so i got a friend to give it the once over (60k km on the dial), made a silly offer and was accepted by the dealership. So I flew over to pick it up, catch up with some old friends then the drive back, over 3000km. Before leaving I put 2 new tyres on, and a week later i had it back over here. Several years later it is still my faithful friend. I change its oil, change the battery and tyres, and recently brake pads. My fifth Peugeot, and the second one that I have bought in NSW and driven back over the Nullabor plain. Goes well and still polishes up a treat.

Access

After 3 years of ownership and 190,000 KLM's I can honestly say I would recommend to anyone. It's a great car. Very comfortable and responsive. Lots of tech and great infotainment system (better than then the one in my golf anyway) great to drive and very sturdy. Really surprised with this car. Anyone else who drives a newer Peugeot seem the find them very good also. 100% recommend and will hopefully upgrade to the 3008 or just buy a new 308. Car gets a lot of attention.

No complaints after a lot of mileage due to my job. Very happy. Not heard any complaints about any newer pug however!

Handles very well. Love the small steering wheel.
Good on the motorway!

1.2 e-THP Feline 130bhp

Bought this car as an ex-demonstrator and I agree with a previous reviewer in that with an open mind you'll find the touchscreen simple to use. There are shortcuts for adjusting the cabin temps and it doesn't come with auto climate control to have humans messing about with the fan speed!! Again I have no problem seeing the dials over the fantastic feeling small steering wheel. Throw in the great performance from the 1.2 triple, £20 VED, ride comfort, large boot, and the huge specification and you have a great family hatch, and this comes from someone who generally hates French cars. The only negative from me is that the fuel economy is nothing like the claimed figures.

1.2 PureTech GT-Line auto

After 8 days the driver's door was not locking.