BMW X6 SUV (2014-2019): owner reviews

"Its styling divides opinion, but there’s no denying the BMW X6 offers impressive performance, a great driving experience and serious road presence"

• Suspension (2 cases)

great no problems lovely ride sports hard/economy standard/comfort/soft lovely lovely lovely if you need space x5 as basically the same although for me drives better had the x5 previously take out tyre insurance when buying as run flat tyres repairs are not always possible

30d M Sport

We have a large 2,000kgs caravan which we take to Spain regularly and went on the search for a new powerful and heavy enough vehicle to tow it with. You are limited on choice for heavier vehicles these days as all manufacturers are focussing on fuel consumption and emissions. We looked at the Macan, XC90, Touareg, Land cruiser, RRS. The X6 30d M Sport came out on top. I have owned the X6 for 18mths and covered 22,000 miles a good majority of that mileage has been towing, including the Pyrenees! The car is rock solid, has ample power to tow this weight and due to it's low position and firm suspension it handles strong side winds very well indeed and fuel consumption when towing and fully loaded is 22mpg - very good considering a total weight of around 4,500kgs. Aesthetics is a very personal thing, for me I really like the look of the car, it's quite different to other cars. The level of kit in the car is very good, and I do enjoy using the electronically deployed tow bar! The one issue I have had is front suspension link rods and lower wishbones needing replacement

SE 3.0D

Absolutely superb! Previously owned an X3 which was good but this beats it hands down! Loads of extras, Head up display , soft close doors, sunroof, adaptive headlights, the list is endless! For Family use, 2 kids and a dog and loads of luggage there's enough boot space for us. It's really quite economical for its size but really easy to manoeuvre around town with the sensors, camera and park assist. The 3.0 litre engine is more than adequate, it will see off any rivals in its class, there's plenty of torque and acceleration even fully loaded up, especially in this era of speed cameras and 20 mph zones.

No problems as yet

Excellent gear box , the same as what goes in a Bentley I hear, engine very responsive.
Insurance is quite high

3lt se

Amazing car. I had the previous model and loved the way it drove. When changing I was considering a couple of alternatives. The ubiquitous Range Rover Sport, the Porsche Cayenne and even the new Maserati Levante. I found it very difficult to find something that was that bit different. The Maser would have ticked that box but I felt it was a little too small. I ended up reverting back to what I liked. The X6 had that combination of rarity, coupe styling , performance and driver appeal by the bucket load. Clearly the X6 is not a load shifter and anyone looking for that should look elsewhere. Equally it is not for a large family, but will cater for a small family in executive style. It is closer to a private jet than a jumbo if considered from the point of view of what it does best...drive extremely well. It is more of a sports car than a mud plugger. Lets be honest I will never go mud plugging in this car and would never need to. If you dare to be different try this car!

Too young to tell.

Love this aspect! I highly rate this car as a real driver's choice.

Big SUV so will never be cheap to run, but much better than my last X6

30d M Sport

Just like the review, the build quality, adherence to MPG data, interior, standard equipment- all are phenomenally luxurious- and to be honest make a standard 3 series look basic inside. The best extra on the car is the adaptive headlights- OMG, we wondered what on earth was going on, the first time I took it out, as the headlights appear to dance around the vision of any other driver on the road. Have a look at the YouTube video for BMW adaptive headlights- and then times how good this looks by 10. Its magic. Because its a big car, the headlights are still ultra bright even on dipped beam, because it is higher up so you'll get the odd driver who still thinks you're on full beam when you're not, but the adaptive headlights makes the winter & driving at night a pleasure and far safer as visibility is fantastic. Whatever BMW you are buying get that as an extra- it is the best thing EVER! The drive is smooth, and has power when you need it. I've taken this one all the way through Europe, and its had its go on the Autobahn. A smoother- "You've just driven 800 miles" you could not wish for. Hardly felt like I'd been to Newcastle and back. Road presence can be changeable. If I'm in the outside lane, MOST cars will see you in their rear view mirror and automatically clear the lane- and remember just because you're not a driver who expects people to do that, they just do when you're driving this car. However the downside is everyone else seems to hate you- so being a good citizen on the road is a requirement. The most important thing to note about the driving experience is the stamina of the car. 60 feels like about 30mph, so even after 100 miles the car doesn't feel thrashed or worn out- its just doing what it was built to do. Fuel economy goes through the roof on long trips and I've had 800 miles out the tank- making it cheaper to drive than a Mini Cooper S. You can't see anyones headlights in the back window- no one else knows this except you. And so you have to keep an eye out especially at night for tailgaters. Also, the wide columns either side of the windscreen mean you have to look around them to check for whole cars being hidden from view. The ugly good looking style of the car is what attracted me to it but if you want a practical spacious utility vehicle- forget all about the X6- its much more all about the driving. I could fit less in it than a 3 Series Touring- because of the roofline. Buy the X5 instead if you want a 4X4. The X6 is practical because the seats fold down, so I can get enough in it. But even though I don't worry about getting stuff back when I've gone to Ikea, I won't get many boxes in the back. Litre-age is a reflection of space, not useable space. You'll get lots of smaller things in this car- if you're good at jigsaws. In summary, I love this car. There are no real downsides to owning it, it is probably one of the most fuel efficient in its class and as a comparison actually is cheaper because of the MPG than my old Mini. Features like the remote pre condition function, mean you can heat the car up before you leave, find it, lock it and all that jazz- from your phone but I rarely do. I love driving, and the X6 is quite agile and easy on road positioning.

X 40 D

Fab power, ride a bit harsh if you dont have the auto suspension. Drive hard and lose MPG - But for normal days drive I get about 33.9 -35 Mpg. Which is not bad for a 4 ltr equivalent!
So far so good.
Decent considering the size

X6 Xdrive 30d auto

This was an upgrade from my BMW 5 series and what an upgrade :-) she drives and handles wonderfully and plenty of poke when you ask for it although the M version (as I had in my 5 series with the suspension dampener and sports mode) would have been nice. Not had it that long to give a full in-depth review but the only draw back is the hard ride, I guess this is the RFT on it. Dealer put on 4 new bridgestone dueler h/p sport tyres on it and you feel every bump in the road, but motorway driving is ok. I will change to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP RF hopefully this will resolve the harsh ride.
So far the 2014 model has ironed out earlier issues with the car, so far so good but not had it long to give a full in-depth annalist
Acceleration can seem a little sluggish on first response but once the 3lit engine kicks in you are off like jack rabbit, but given it is size and weight I am not complaining. Good round town, much better on long trips. Corners very well for a big car and you feel like you are in a coupe not a crossover. the only draw back is the harsh ride but I am hoping new tyres will sort that out

Like all SUV/crossovers they are not cheap to run, but it's a price you have to factor in when buying it. Want more MPG? by a hybrid