In-depth reviews

SEAT Tarraco owner reviews

"The SEAT Tarraco is attractive and pleasant to drive but only its style sets it apart"

Price
£28,545 - £40,900

1.5 TSI Xcellence

2019

We have owned our 1.5 petrol Tarraco (Atlantic Blue) for 5 months now and are very pleased. We were set to buy a Skoda Kodiaq but the sales people at Dartford Skoda were so uninterested in selling us anything that we walked away, deciding to wait instead for the Tarraco to be released. I'm so glad we did. We go camping in France every year and my old diesel Audi A4 saloon was struggling to cope with all the kit we needed. The Tarraco takes it all in its stride. The boot is massive and the ability to slide the middle seats forward makes it that bit more versatile. I was worried that the small petrol engine, while fine for everyday driving, would struggle when fully loaded, however, even with 4 people, a full boot, roof box and 2 bikes on top, it never felt heavy or like it was struggling. Only on the steeper hills did the speed start to drop away, forcing a change to a lower gear. We live in SE London and wanted to move away from diesel so opted for the 1.5 petrol. 35-40mpg is standard on the school run and short trips and this hardly changes even with a loaded boot and roof box. Add a couple of bikes to the roof, however, and the extra drag can knock the economy closer to 25mpg. A tow-bar mounted bike carrier should help with that. It's a shame the 1.5TSI engine is currently only available with a manual gearbox as we would have preferred an auto for ease of use in heavy traffic. The manual can be a little hard to drive smoothly in lower gears when cold but it's a minor issue and is fine overall. The Tarraco is quiet and comfortable and I like the extra interior lighting such as the white stripes along the tops of the doors and sills. I'm not sure the puddle lights under the wing mirrors really need to project the word 'Tarraco' onto the floor at night, though. Loads of tech comes as standard such as full LED lights, digital cockpit, 3-zone climate control and adaptive cruise. The sat nav is generally easy to use and does a good job but having Apple Carplay/Android Auto means you can back it up with Google Maps etc. I find it sometimes takes a while for Carplay to connect, which can be irritating, requiring me to disconnect and then reconnect the cable to get it to work (this could just be my cable or phone, though). Worth noting that, even though there are 2 SD card slots, one of those is taken up by the sat nav map data. Overall, I'm very pleased and can see us replacing it with another Tarraco in a few years, especially if available with an auto gearbox for the 1.5TSI like in other Volkswagen Group cars. A great family car.

No problems recorded.

Performance is good considering the size of the engine compared to the size of the car. No noticeable turbo lag.

The average of 35mpg is lower than hoped but is still no worse than I used to get with a 2.0 Diesel Audi on the same urban school-run.

2.0L TDI 150 xcellence

2019

Excellent car, highly recommended!