In-depth reviews

Tesla Model S owner reviews

"The Tesla Model S is fast, refined, well equipped and practical. It also doesn’t come with as many compromises as some other electric cars"

• Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Suspension (1 cases)

P100D

Unbelievable performance. Satnav and spec great. Free supercharging means virtually no running costs. I notice some road noise with 21" Tyres. Downside- no rain sensor/ auto wipers for £150k car. I do not regret selling my Range Rover for this!

P90D

A revolution in automotive engineering. This car does everything it says on the box and more, including Ludicrous 0 to 60 in 2.8 secs. Areas for improvement in future models: needs more internal storage for sunglasses, travel sweets etc. At 6'3" tall I could do with a little more leg room. As battery technology improves, extending the range to 400 or 500 miles would make this the ultimate car. Not as sumptuous as Merc S class, but much more fun. The silence at lower speeds enhances the pleasure of wonderful music through the outstanding HiFi system. My rating is 4.5/5

No issues

Ludicrous

I estimate about £12.00 for 250 miles

P85

The most responsive car on the road, superb handling due to low C of G, peanuts to run, drive in London for free, park free, fuel up free for life, no road tax, impossible to steal, massive acceleration, does not wear tyres due to finite control of AC drive that's impossible with ICE, nothing of any consequence wears out (never really use brakes due to regen) has no clutch to wear so will take standing starts all day, needs no service, dealers excellent, too. More space than other sedans as it has 2 boots, safest car on the road, timeless elegant design, minimal pollution (I charge mine off solar 50% on the time). Silence is the new noisey! and last of all NOT German. If I'd have bought 3 months later it would be driving itself like the loaner I'm in now but it's such a fantastic car I don't care.
Door handles started packing up, known fault, dealer replaced the lot gives me a brand new Model S loaner

Staggering 0-30 scary fast 0-60 ample top speed and this is not the quick one!

What can i say £582 to do 35,000 miles and a set of tyres.

Used Car Nightmare AVOID.

100D

2019

I want to love my car but I don't. Which seems odd given that this is my second Model S - I'll come to that. In some respects the car is brilliant. I live in the North of Scotland, 130 miles from the nearest motorway so I drive mostly on A roads. I don't believe there is a better and safer car to drive on such roads and be able to overtake slow traffic. It grips brilliantly, the ride is smooth on good surfaces and it drives reasonably well - but don't imagine it has much agility; you can't hide the weight even if it is low down. The 4 wheel drive, which is excellent, allied to winter tyres also make it all year round family transport in the harshest of conditions. Range is excellent at around 250miles; I have driven up to 700 miles in a single day and it is effortless. The negative is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Tesla. Material quality is mediocre, it is shockingly badly put together and it is not reliable. My first one needed the steering, drive shafts, wiring loom, suspension, wiper mechanism and countless rattles repaired or replaced in just under 50k miles. With round trips of 350 miles to the service centre, this is more than inconvenient. The service staff were always brilliant but Tesla's recent move to do more online has created a disconnect and their service is now disappointing. Technology is a mixed bag, self-driving an expensive gimmick and it's huge for parking, garages and narrow roads. So why am I on my second? The good bits are truly brilliant and addictive. I am converted to electric for many reasons and have a large solar array to support that choice. I'm committed. I'm also an optimist and hoped Tesla had improved quality. I'm not sure they have. Critically, though, Tesla has a trump card. The Supercharger network. Normally I charge at home, it's easy. But as mentioned, I regularly drive very long distances. That kept me with Tesla but I'll change when there is a credible alternative. If you don't drive very long distances, look elsewhere.

This one has only 11k miles. It rattles like a tin marbles, suffers from severe wind noise problems (which my previous one did not), several technology glitches, and minor faults. Long term, it doesn't seem better put together than my first.

The transition from comfortable limousine to hypercar overtaking is nothing short of brutal. Not a sports car, its too big and heavy, but grip is staggering and it goes where it's pointed.

Pennies. Charged off solar in the summer, cheap tariff at night in winter. Maybe 1p per mile average. Supercharger costs are higher but cheap compared to petrol. Servicing surprisingly expensive.

s 85

Tesla deem an accident repaired inspected by their workshop car as safe, so dangerous they will not support it.

flaky at best

A Slug

Horrific

90D

Effortless pace in total silence. Ability to leave BMW M5's for dead at traffic lights, but still a luxury super smooth large saloon car. 'Autopilot' which can drive the car without any driver input is a taste of the future.