In-depth reviews

Tesla Model S owner reviews

"The Tesla Model S is fast, refined, well equipped and practical. It also doesn’t come with as many compromises as some other electric cars"

Reviews

• 2 out of 5
  • 1 out of 5
thumbs up71%of people would recommend this car to a friend

• Other (1 case)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Suspension (1 case)

Review 1 of 7

P100D

Tell us what you think about your car?
Unbelievable performance. Satnav and spec great. Free supercharging means virtually no running costs. I notice some road noise with 21" Tyres. Downside- no rain sensor/ auto wipers for £150k car. I do not regret selling my Range Rover for this!

P90D

Tell us what you think about your car?
A revolution in automotive engineering. This car does everything it says on the box and more, including Ludicrous 0 to 60 in 2.8 secs. Areas for improvement in future models: needs more internal storage for sunglasses, travel sweets etc. At 6'3" tall I could do with a little more leg room. As battery technology improves, extending the range to 400 or 500 miles would make this the ultimate car. Not as sumptuous as Merc S class, but much more fun. The silence at lower speeds enhances the pleasure of wonderful music through the outstanding HiFi system. My rating is 4.5/5

P85

Tell us what you think about your car?
The most responsive car on the road, superb handling due to low C of G, peanuts to run, drive in London for free, park free, fuel up free for life, no road tax, impossible to steal, massive acceleration, does not wear tyres due to finite control of AC drive that's impossible with ICE, nothing of any consequence wears out (never really use brakes due to regen) has no clutch to wear so will take standing starts all day, needs no service, dealers excellent, too. More space than other sedans as it has 2 boots, safest car on the road, timeless elegant design, minimal pollution (I charge mine off solar 50% on the time). Silence is the new noisey! and last of all NOT German. If I'd have bought 3 months later it would be driving itself like the loaner I'm in now but it's such a fantastic car I don't care.

Tell us what you think about your car?
Used Car Nightmare AVOID.

100D

2019

Tell us what you think about your car?
I want to love my car but I don't. Which seems odd given that this is my second Model S - I'll come to that. In some respects the car is brilliant. I live in the North of Scotland, 130 miles from the nearest motorway so I drive mostly on A roads. I don't believe there is a better and safer car to drive on such roads and be able to overtake slow traffic. It grips brilliantly, the ride is smooth on good surfaces and it drives reasonably well - but don't imagine it has much agility; you can't hide the weight even if it is low down. The 4 wheel drive, which is excellent, allied to winter tyres also make it all year round family transport in the harshest of conditions. Range is excellent at around 250miles; I have driven up to 700 miles in a single day and it is effortless. The negative is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Tesla. Material quality is mediocre, it is shockingly badly put together and it is not reliable. My first one needed the steering, drive shafts, wiring loom, suspension, wiper mechanism and countless rattles repaired or replaced in just under 50k miles. With round trips of 350 miles to the service centre, this is more than inconvenient. The service staff were always brilliant but Tesla's recent move to do more online has created a disconnect and their service is now disappointing. Technology is a mixed bag, self-driving an expensive gimmick and it's huge for parking, garages and narrow roads. So why am I on my second? The good bits are truly brilliant and addictive. I am converted to electric for many reasons and have a large solar array to support that choice. I'm committed. I'm also an optimist and hoped Tesla had improved quality. I'm not sure they have. Critically, though, Tesla has a trump card. The Supercharger network. Normally I charge at home, it's easy. But as mentioned, I regularly drive very long distances. That kept me with Tesla but I'll change when there is a credible alternative. If you don't drive very long distances, look elsewhere.

s 85

Tell us what you think about your car?
Tesla deem an accident repaired inspected by their workshop car as safe, so dangerous they will not support it.

90D

Tell us what you think about your car?
Effortless pace in total silence. Ability to leave BMW M5's for dead at traffic lights, but still a luxury super smooth large saloon car. 'Autopilot' which can drive the car without any driver input is a taste of the future.

Recommended

Ioniq 5

Top 10 best cars with three ISOFIX points 2022
Peugeot 3008 Hybrid
16 Jun 2022

Top 10 best cars with three ISOFIX points 2022

Tesla Supercharger network is now partially open to rival electric cars in the UK
Tesla Supercharger