BMW 2 Series convertible owner reviews

"The BMW 2 Series convertible is a compelling package, offering top-down thrills, superb handling, an excellent range of engines and very attractive styling"

220d Sport

First of all, I did few test drives on the A3 Cabriolet and BMW 2 series convertible, including the 218i, 220d, manual and automatic. I've read many articles that say the A3 Cabriolet is better than the 2 series, and to be honest I don't know how these people reached their conclusions. In my opinion, beside the internal dashboard looking a little bit more modern and the boot shape being more practical for big items, I didn't see the A3 being better then the 2 series. The 220d auto is the one I bought and the car is amazing to drive, super comfortable inside (if you are not really tall) and the performance is amazing for a car which has 30 pounds road tax with low emissions. If you don't have a big family to fit in, but still want rear sets and a convertible car, this is an excellent option. BTW, if you're worried about rear seat space, you'll want to spend more and buy the 4 series convertible, however I prefer the driving style of the 2 series.

M235i Convertible

The car harks back to my first BMW 3 series 20 years ago in terms of handling and performance. Over the years, BMWs have become heavier and increasingly detached - great for long-distance commutes and holiday drives: comfortable but rather bland. I did own a Lotus Elise for a few years around 2000 and this has all the advantages of that car, but in a practical package. It's perfect as a small convertible that can happily handle traffic jams and a daily commute, but doubles-up as a fun, performance car for when you're in the mood for that. I wanted a convertible, so an M2 wasn't in the frame. I got an 15% discount on the M235i when I wouldn't stand a chance on a discount for an M2, even before it became clear that I could get the M235i Convertible in 3 months versus waiting 18 months+ for an M2, plus the dealer took back the lease on my 330d Touring three months early as well, saving me almost £1,0000. The only accessories I added were the front passenger footwell net (all BMWs used to have this until 5-6 years ago and for the £21 or so it's an odd omission); the really useful rechargeable torch (ditto) that goes in the lighter socket; and the soft-top shampoo/proofing kit (previous experience is that keeping the soft top clean from the start pays off in the long-term). What I would like is to do some driver training on a track, just to see the actual limits of handling. So far, it's been rock-solid but I don't want to find out on the road and this is a car which tempts you to drive it hard when in SPORT mode. xDrive isn't an M235i option in the UK and by default I would have had it, as my previous car was xD. But the steering is so much more nimble than my 330d that I have to say I've changed my mind about the benefits of xD if it means losing this sort of responsiveness.

220d M Sport

The 220d convertible is by far the most fun car I have ever owned. The engine is not very noisy, efficient (45+ MPG with roof down all summer, and much better with it up on motorways). M Sport styling is fabulous - the car is a real head turner. Interior is good, and surprisingly roomy in the back, albeit not enough for long journeys. Boot capacity is OK with the roof tray lowered, but the shape does make it a little difficult to pack for anything more than a few days away. The drive is responsive, grippy and the automatic gear box is surprisingly well spaced. The flappy paddles are fun, but a little superfluous. The driving position is good and the seats, as you might expect are very comfy (once you have spent ages getting them there) - go for the electric seats if you have more than one driver, as they are a bit fiddly. With the roof don there is surprisingly little wind noise - you don't have to shout unless you are doing motorway speeds, and even then the phone won't pick up to much noise. Rear visibility is OK with the roof up, but restricted as you would expect. A nice touch is that you can do 30 and open/close the roof. All-in-all a really nice car that will make your mates drool a bit (but not hate you for having it).

Faultless as of 5000 miles

Excellent performance, almost feels like a petrol. A little sluggish at low revs, but you don't really notice. It's certainly fast enough from stationary, grippy in corners (especially on country roads such as in Devon) and very responsive, even in eco-pro (although Sport mode is good fun).
    A little disappointing MPG, but this is probably due to having the roof down over summer. £50 usually does 500+miles.