Dacia Logan MCV owner reviews

"The Dacia Logan MCV is an estate car with a huge boot, but it costs less than many superminis"

• Brakes, Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (2 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)

1.5 Diesel Laureate

A very good, practical car. Excellent fuel consumption and great value. It's basic enough in terms of frills and appearance but well worth a look if you need a lot of boot space or as a family car. The interior fabrics are durable and resist spills and stains and there are a few handy features such as a bluetooth media connection and phone system and Cruise control. This was exactly what I was looking for in a car. Other reviews will go on about "ride comfort" and "low quality plastics". Really though, this is a fine little car for the more practical minded motorists who view their car a tool rather than a designer fashion item.

Laureate 1.5 Diesel

I have been very pleasantly surprised. The Logan is an excellent car. Easy to drive, quiet and very good value. I previously owned a Dacia Sandero Stepway which was very good - the Logan is even better.
Build quality is good
More than adequate - plenty of torque.

Easy to achieve 60+ mpg without using ECO mode.

1.5 diesel Laureate

You get exactly what you pay for, so lots of space, a reasonable level of equipment, quite good fuel economy, & reasonable comfort. I have owned mine for just over 2 months & put 8k miles on her. She's averaging 58-60mpg keeping her in Eco mode on a 90 mile daily round trip to work over a mixture of country lanes, motorways, & urban areas (40%/40&/20% respectively). The bits that could be better are many lol and they shouldn't be that expensive to rectify/or to include in a slightly higher priced model. Front Fog Lights - don't bother they do not illuminate the road in front or to the side at all - total waste of time. Front lights need better bulbs as standard - not great on country lanes - they have a wide spread but no power lol. Engine would benefit from the 120 bhp option in the Duster together with the 6 speed box - the gearbox is notchy (gets better with use) & the ratios are not well matched in 5spd guise to the engine so you are always thrumming or hunting for a good compromise around the 30 & 50 mph speeds which is a pain with most speed limits. Paint is thin & soft - even washing off insects seems to be problem as it dents the paint finish while the roof has lost paint in a couple of places where the tip of the radio aerial has obviously pinged it! Interior lighting is woeful - there is none in the back for the rear seats - on a car that will probably be bought for family use this is cost saving in the extreme. Interior squeaks & rattles - well the extra jazzy Laureate plastic bits all squeak & groan when you push or pull them making you wonder when they will drop off. Exterior squeaks & rattles - fit some rubber trim around the engine bay to stop the bonnet rattling away all the time - it will also keep the engine bay clean. Be prepared for the underbody heat shield to rattle like billy oh whenever you shut the doors - especially at the back of the car - already fixed once under warranty but has returned 2k miles later lol - methinks spring washers are called for! Interior plastics are cheap looking and hard but sadly also do not stand up to hard abuse - a particular fault in an estate that should be expected to be used as a workhorse - the boot area is not protected with anything robust at all so invest in a boot liner & a tarpaulin or similar as the side panels are fabric & will damage easily while on the tailgate there is a lot of unprotected painted metal. Seats are soft and reasonably supportive in the front but need more adjustment (up/down) & some lumbar support/adjustment as there is none - they are too soft on long journeys. The rear ones are just too soft/lacking support in every area & also need something stronger to protect their backs when folded (as they will be lots in an estate). Instrumentation & controls - nice & clear but the shiny Laureate bezels, while looking pretty, make the dials all fussy in the dark - it's annoying that the steering wheel controls, radio controls, mirror controls, engine fuel save switch do not illuminate at all. The plastics are all functional but hard & not tactile. The remote radio controls can be unresponsive at times especially the rotating switch on the rear used to change tracks etc. The telephone kit works well on the stereo (actually quite a good stereo) but all complain that when calling from the car that I sound distant/quiet. Hunting for the rear electric window switches from the front seat is a pain. The heater controls are set low down which is a distraction & the rotating controls are badly designed as from the drivers seat you cannot see where the markers point to! Similarly the cruise control switch is badly placed low down in the centre console when it really needs to be on the steering wheel/column. Visibility is not great - thick pillars all around especially on the front - the wipers are poor - they seem to fly over the screen rather than cleaning it ha ha. You need to use the aircon a lot to keep the screen clear & the heating only seems just about acceptable for the size of the car - I worry that it won't be very good at heating the car up when it's icy cold outside as it's not that great even now in the early days of autumn! Handling & performance is adequate. It's better on standard UK country lanes where the easy going nature of the car is better suited. Pick up is not great with Eco turned on unless you are in a lower gear. If you want a car that handles look elsewhere but if you are a steady Eddie type driver the car is fine. The above sounds like a long list of moans so I would just like to say that overall I think the car is great value for money. But on a personal note if Dacia put out a better spec car with these items fixed for say £500-1000 more I would be very interested. If they added some extra ride height, wheel arch & underbody protection, the bigger engine & box (& maybe a 4 x 4 option?), heated washers, seats, headlamp washers, climate (as available elsewhere in Europe) this would be an estate they could sell forever (probably take out Duster sales though ha ha)

Diesel laureate

Very noisy. Sounds like the exhaust is blowing. Not getting the MPG I was promised.

1.5 dCi

Totally trouble free motoring. I have owned my MCV for 10 months and I am extremely pleased. I am a taxi driver so reliability is a must. My only gripe is the sat-nav system on my vehicle only does a 5 digit search but I have a TomTom so can use this. Also when the tailgate is fully open it rattles. Apart from these problems, it's been totally fault free. I will definitely purchase another and totally recommend this car.

Laureate 1.5 Dci

Having had new estate cars previously, mainly Ford, I was a little apprehensive about an outright purchase of a model that is fairly new in the UK. I should not have worried... excellent no-frills vehicle that can carry everything previous estate cars can and more... excellent fuel economy from a decent Renault diesel engine and lower road tax than a moped! Well, zero indeed. Air con, Media Nav, cruise control, punchy diesel engine, 3 years main warranty, 6 years anti corrosion warranty, 3 years free breakdown cover and metallic paint in such a roomy vehicle for less than 10k (if you buy a new pre reg like I did). No other estate even comes close.

1.5 dCi

Bought a demo vehicle from the dealer saving me additional cost. There's no thrills, but coming from a used Citroën C5 this car is actually cheaper to run than my old car, not including depreciation. We have three kids and this was the widest car in the back seat area ;-). It does what it says it does... It's cheap, it's roomy, and it gets you from A to B.

Laureate Prime 1.5 Dci

So, some 4.5 years in and 46k miles our Logan still feels like a brand new car. No problems at all, still in warranty and still a hoot to drive.

No issues. Never let us down.

Small lag to 15mph then bonus fun all the way up the speedometer.

Cheap to buy, run, insure, tax.

Laureate Prime 1.5 dci

Excellent car for the money, a fantastic replacement for my Ford Focus estate. I know there are a few quirky design issues but you soon get used to them with use. The main one for me was the gearing, which is very different to any other car I have driven. I find the car comfortable, economical and a pleasure to drive. No squeaks or rattles and the loading space is huge. Who gives a hoot about soft feel plastic, how often do you caress the dashboard in a car. I say ignore the so called satisfaction surveys, I’ve got a great car for ridiculously low outlay, no road tax and cheap insurance. What’s not to like about that?

No issues, car also came with 3 year road side assistance included as standard, which I have not had to use.

Like any turbo engines, keep within the sweet spot and overtaking is easy. Cruises effortlessly.

Averaging 61mpg, no car tax and cheap to insure.

Laureate Prime TCe 90

This was the first time I had bought a car new so I did spend time looking around to ensure I got value for money. And that is exactly what you get with the Logan, value for money. It is significantly cheaper to but than other cars in it's class and just as capable. I went for the Laureate Prime as I wanted to have as much comfort as possible and I have to say it is a great vehicle. I have three Labradors and they can all lie down in the boot space with the rear seats still in position. It is great for taking the green waste to the tip, I have a large builders 1m x 1m x 1m bag which I fill up and then just sling in the boot. Load the car up with 5 people and three dogs and it still performs very well. It is nippy (not sporty fast) with my 900cc turbo-charged engine never leaving me feeling embarrassed at the lights. The stereo is great either from the USB port or via Bluetooth connection and the hands-free for the mobile works well too. My wife bought a brand new Smart the day I bought this car - she has now decided to get rid of her Smart and go for a Dacia as well as she thinks my car is great (though she will probably go for the Duster).

Reliability has been generally good. My wife managed to break the central locking the other day (after 14 months of ownership) but that was fixed extremely quickly - and was done as a warranty fix so didn't cost a penny.

It is nippy, quick of the mark and very manoeuvrable. Yes, Ok so it will not get a gold star for it's 0-60 performance but who cares? I didn't buy this car to be the next Nigel Mansell.

I am very pleased with the fuel consumption. Most of my journeys are under 10 miles and around the city so getting 46mpg is very good.

1.5 d

Developed clutch shudder after 2000 miles and had new clutch at 5000 miles then gearbox failure at 8000 miles, in garage total of 60 + days in one year. Looks the part but fails in Dacia back up to garage with silly procedures to be followed before getting to the nitty gritty, basically not giving the mechanic [who they have trained on various courses] freedom to follow their knowledge and experience. Car back and forward until final solution reached that everybody knew from the beginning.

1.4 Diesel

As with other reviewers, I was looking for a big, roomy estate car that is economical and reliable to run. I've had prestige cars in the past, including Volvo, Saab, BMW but was fed up with the increasing costs and them never delivering on fuel consumption. I also found that although the cars looked big, the interior space was limited. The Dacia has absolutely delivered for me - a comfortable workhorse that has everything I need and more. The fuel consumption is excellent and despite my initial reservations, the 1.4l diesel engine packs enough punch for anything I want to do. The boot is cavernous and a good shape for packing. On the down side, the paint is thin and easily marked and the boot liner is flimsy, but for the price of the car, this is totally fine. Having to use the key to open the boot is a pain though and I would happily pay more for an electronic lock. The car has done 36,000 miles with no issues - I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or recommend it to anyone.

No issues

Even with a full load of passengers and luggage, I never feel the engine is short of power. Not a Ferrari, but certainly enough power to cruise at 70 on the motorway and overtake when I need to.

The best fuel economy from any car I've owned.

898cc turbo petrol Ambiance TCE

Odd one to review! Up to now the car has been very reliable & comfortable. But you do get what you pay for. The good parts are: price, reliability, internal space, MPG & I have an 8x4 trailer that has been taken to the max in weight & the small 900cc turbo engine had no problem with the load. You can just get 3met long items inside the car “IE: thin pipe”. The car feels fine with power as long as you don’t expect blistering performance. The bad parts are: I’m a big fellow & can’t get in the car without hitting my left hand shoulder, so I have to get in bottom first & swing around. The paint is very thin & easy to mark. Where I get into the car the bottom area around the door is down to the primer in some places. The body materials/panels are very thin to the stage that I don’t want to push too hard when washing the car. There is an economy switch on the car that I found very dangerous, this is an item that helps with fuel economy in that cuts in & seems to cut your RPM down which is not nice when you go to overtake & find it won’t give you full throttle just when you need it. This happens also when you want to pull out of a side road onto a main road & get your foot down & its starts limiting you. So I just leave it turned off for safety. When I have the trailer hooked up & want to reverse the parking sensors starts to bleep because it sees the trailer. “This could do with an on off switch.” I have electric locks on the doors but the tailgate I still have to undo with a key. The electric window switches are low in the dash board & not as convenient as the door type switches. All in all, the car is fine; it’s just a shame that it feels a bit cheap. Not sure what the residual values will be.
Good
For a 899cc engine, fantastic.
Very good

1.5 DCI Ambiance

Real value for money. Nothing can touch it on price really for the size of the car. Plenty boot space great mpg.

Laureate 0.9l

It's not a luxury motor but we bought fit for transporting our two medium sized dogs about without worrying about it getting a bit messy in the boot. It has a low boot lip making it great for the dogs to jump in and out with loads of space in the boot. Great value for money and after nearly 44,000 miles it's only required new front brake pads, discs and tyres otherwise faultless. Car came well equipped with parking sensors, cruise control that works great and electric front and rear windows. Engine is quite quick with the turbo. For longer trips it's ok but not the most comfortable after a couple of hours driving. I decided not to get satnav as we only use the car locally with the odd longer trip now and again. Car is now coming to the end of its PCP and will be renewing with another. Even better is that apparently the LPG Logan is coming to the UK some time in 2020 which will make it a no brainer!
Car has never let us down.
Turbo makes it quite quick.

Very cheap to run. Will be even cheaper if lpg version becomes available!

Laureate

Had this car from new and is very low mileage i.e. 11804 miles total. I recently noticed a problem when engaging 1st and 2nd gear from a cold start. A slight judder but only briefly. Took it to the dealership and was told that the clutch was showing signs of wear and the flywheel was also failing. The latter was covered by my 5 year warranty but I had to pay £144.30 for a new clutch even after a goodwill deduction of 20%. I have been driving for over 40 years and have never had a clutch fail before. The excuse as to why it was not covered by the warranty was the age of the car (not quite 3 years). This is just not good enough. Have complained to Dacia Customer Service and been told that I would be responded to within 24 hours. That was 2 days ago. Tried to contact my personal case complaint manager but he was busy. I am not satisfied with this vehicle or the complaint response. The case continues.

Other than the clutch problem the car seems reliable enough.
Does what I want it for i.e. shopping and medium distance motorway driving. All seems ok but I never race about in it.
I don't really keep accurate records just fill it up as and when needed.

1.5 dci

It´s true, if you drive this car correctly, you can make a very good mpg (71), I´ve already done better... and with 49800 miles, this car never gave me a problem... best buy i could ever made.

never gave me a problem with 49800 miles (80000Km)
Not the fastest on Planet, but with 90 bhp ... very good... runs faster than renault clio with the same engine... don´t ask... i have both cars and i also don´t understand why.

Cheapest on market... 71 miles per gallon for real...

1.5 dci Laureate

I bought this as a slight gamble after killing the gearbox on my 2006 Astra estate. With two small kids and all the stuff that goes with them an estate was a must and having looked at the second hand market the options were limited, mainly with high mileage examples of various cars still asking £5-6k. I picked the Logan up for just shy of £10k with 25 miles on the clock with the plan to keep it for 10 years if I can . I've done 12,000 miles in just under a year and have had absolutely no problems at all. I get just under 60mpg from it commuting on A roads and motorway at ~75. Sure it's not the prettiest thing in the world and the interior is a bit dated but who cares? It's a perfect workhorse and family car and with a bit of luck it won't cause any major problems for me.

Zero problems in 12,000 miles and no reason to think anything will change.
Obviously not a rocket ship but enough oomph not to be embarrassing, even when loaded up with people and stuff. Soft suspension is anything but sporty but comfortable and good for British potholed roads!

57/58 mpg with a heavy right foot, zero road tax, low insurance and nothing else to worry about so can't complain.

Laureatte 1.5 Diesel

Very versatile - it's got a HUGE load area even with the seats up in the back. It's comfortable to drive on long journeys (I go to Birmingham from Cornwall often) and on those runs I get about 62mpg - and I'm not overly light footed. I love this car - it's reliable, it can really move when you want it to. I've had big Rovers, Passats, Mondeos, Citroens etc. and none of them satisfy me like this car does.

Never given me any cause for concern

Very happy with it. Climbs steep hills better than many other cars I've left behind on the hills, corners well, safe and sure in the wet.

Cheap - over 50 generally with 62 on long motorway runs. I could get more but I'm not that light footed. Never need oil top up.

1.5 DCI Laureate Prime

What can I say? Cruise control spacious smart estate that is quiet, has fabulous handling and is softly sprung. It's a work of genius. Effortless driving, even under load. You've got to be mad or insecure to pay more than a top spec Logan MCV.

1.5 Diesel Lauréate dCi 90

I decided to buy a Logan because I needed an estate for collections I do for a local charity shop as well as commuting, and my Mondeo needed replacing. What swayed me the most was the price. I was lucky to pick up a 65 plate in April just after they had changed to 16 and saved nearly £3000 off the new price. Although I am listed as the second owner due to the garage having to register it when the person who ordered it didn't go through with the sale it only had 18 miles on the clock. If that isn't new then I don't know what is. Anyway having never driven one before as I bought mine from over 250 miles away from Renault Bolton and they delivered it to me (my local dealer didn't have one in stock) I must say I am very very impressed with it. The specification level is impressive for a vehicle that cost me much less than £10,000. Sat nav, usb, aux, abs, ebd, cruise, bluetooth, hands free, electric windows all round etc. Yes the interior is dated with regards to the controls and placement but they are functional and don't really distract from the overall feel of the vehicle. It gives a responsive comfortable drive and the 1.5 diesel delivers lots of power to the wheels. A couple of times I raised the clutch a bit quick and spun the fronts wheels (still getting use to it as for the last 20 years I've had automatics). When doing collections I once had the estate area filled with boxes of books so the car was quite low on the rear axle but it still had a surprising amount of power and acceleration. The only problem I have had is the usb port failing, so I set my phone up through bluetooth and listen to my music that way now. When I get the time I will contact my local Renault dealer about it. Overall I can honestly recommend this vehicle as a viable alternative over more mainstream models. Also I would advise you to shop around using your local auto trader or search engine rather than heading straight to the showroom for a new one. You can save £1000's on new models with less than 50 miles on the clock like I did.

Still 5 stars still. I know I've had the usb problem but it hasn't affected the running of the vehicle.

Excellent performance even when under load.

About 55mpg and doesn't need its first service until 12000 miles, so very happy with that.

1.5 Laureate

A car built down to a price, but if you know what you are going to get for your money well worth considering. Little cost savers like key access from the passenger side, bonnet release on the passenger side, window actuators on the central console, boot release by lever next driver's seat or key, back seat lacks support for longer distance journeys, clutch pedal could do with being a little larger. Everything other than white is extra. We took the cheap optional extra of the spare wheel. Lots of warning "beeps" to get used to. The biggest thing to get used to though is the gear ratios. Driving around town in third. Needing to be doing 40 to be comfortable in fourth and doing 55 before being comfortable in fifth. The low revving 1.5L engine needs to be on at least 1500 rpm to avoid a drumming noise indicating that it is struggling in that gear at that speed. Presumably the high gear ratios are to make the m.p.g. figures claimed, but does seem to result in more gear changing on non dual carriageway roads. Short daily commute and one or two 30 mile journeys a week are returning 53 mpg. For those on a budget an awful lot of car for your money compared to other makes.

1.5 Diesel Laureate

I purchased this when I changed job and had a 60 mile commute - plus I need the space for family trips through France and carrying band gear. It had to be cheap, economical and roomy and this car certainly fits the bill. I went for the top of the range with all extras (apart from towbar) The latest sat-nav update has made it a must have and European maps are up to date and accurate. I get great mileage considering my commute is through school traffic as well as motorway and having clocked up 20,000+ trouble-free miles I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a work horse. The engine is more than adequate and I've only taken it out of Eco mode on a couple of occasions when I've had a full heavy boot going up hill.

1.5 dci Ambiance

Sold both mine and the Mrs' car and bought this bigger Dacia Logan, plenty of power, good mpg, good build quality, zero road tax, cheap insurance and carries 5 people with still loads of boot space. I am no badge snob and want a reliable cheap car with low running costs. This does what it says on the tin and much more. Well done Dacia, I love the new Logan.