In-depth reviews

Hyundai Ioniq owner reviews

"The Hyundai Ioniq is likely to tempt many buyers who might otherwise choose a Toyota Prius"

• Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)

Se Premium

I'm now just clocking up 17,000 miles. The Ioniq is a very relaxing car to drive, comfortable and stress free. However, I have a couple of gripes. Firstly, the colder weather knocks back the economy considerably. Early to mid 50s mpg at best. Its seems that the heated seats and sw take their toll. Secondly and more worrying, on slowing down to a stop or near stop from average speed, there is an odd noise coming from transmission. Many of a certain age will remember the 80s Fords and the "clutch woop". Its sound like that or like something in the transmission trying to " catch up " when slowing down. It can vary in loudness and length of the noise. Has anyone else heard this? I'm waiting for its 20k service (only a few weeks away) to report it. Other them than the above, still a pleasure to drive.

Premium SE

I am loving the Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid so far, having done almost 1,000 miles. Good points - mostly everything. All the controls are logically laid out, heating and ventilation is good, the seats are comfortable and the heating feature in them is fantastic. The stereo is good and keyless entry is a useful feature. All the ‘toys’ are useful. All in all, very good. Bad points - if you have the driver seat height at, or near, the top combined with the steering reach anything but fully retracted, you bang your thighs on the wheel exiting and entering the car. The economy at the moment is "ok" at 56mpg but no where near the official combined figure of 83mpg. I'm not expecting that number, I admit, but I'm hoping for mid- to late-60s. My driving style is showing 97% eco, 3% normal. I realise that everything is new and tight, so I expect mpg to improve over time. I am also going to try running on a premium fuel to see if the mpg improves. I realise that I will pay around 4p-per-litre more but if this makes a significant improvement to mpg it will be worth the initial cost. To sum up, the Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid is an excellent car but economy is way down on what I expected. I will submit another review at around 10k miles. I would have given 5 stars if the economy was better.

Hybrid Premium

61.4
Twelve months of faultless economic motoring in comfort and style. The heated seats and steering wheel are nice on a cold morning. I have not reset the computer since purchase and so the average of 61.4 mpg is what it has achieved over the last twelve months. I have now done just over 16,000 miles. This has been on a variety of roads and conditions. It's difficult to tell when it changes between pure battery, hybrid or engine modes, other than noticing it on the display. Too many useful features to list here, but I love the interactive cruise control. On a motorway journey from London to Birmingham I hardly have to switch it off. Superb car for the money I would highly recommend it.

1.6-litre Premium SE

2019

46.6
Having bought the car new to use as a taxi, I was impressed with the stated mpg figures. I cannot fault the car in any way on styling, comfort and drivability. It is a superb car. But I am very disappointed with the figures. I have a driving style of 81% economy, 19% normal. My first full tank returned 64mpg but unfortunately each successive fill up has decreased to 59, 54, 49, now 46mpg, having just covered 2,800 miles. I'm hoping it will improve as the engine settles in, as the previous car I had was returning 40mpg and was a 2013 Mercedes E220.

Premium

62.9
This is an excellent family Hybrid hatchback with a good amount of space and impressive fuel economy figures. The boot is a little limited and the foot operated handbrake takes a little getting used to. However, overall the car is good to drive in Econ mode and fun to drive in sport mode.

1.6 Premium

54.3
Bought with less than 4,000 miles on the clock. Salesperson quoted official fuel economy of 80mpg. Doing mostly short journeys but occasionally long hauls touring down South. Despite this combined use, the average mpg has remained constant at 54.3mpg. This is very disappointing because otherwise, it is the best of the dozen or so consecutive cars I have purchased.

Mpg nowhere near advertised. Four recalls in so far. Incredibly annoyed at poor performance.

Four recalls...

Nice car to drive - but the other issues overwhelm it.

Mpg nowhere near advertised.

Premium SE

The car has many features and most of them easily accessible through menus, though some are a little hidden away. The hybrid functions could be a bit more informative, but those are niggles. Driving is quiet and mostly electric if you can stay under 30-35mph, and you limit the throttle. On the motorway the car is comfortable but a bit noisier than other cars. Seats are harder than expected but turn out to be very comfortable and adjustable to fit the desired driving position. It really feels like a normal car is most ways, you barely notice it is a hybrid, and you'll soon drive as you would any other car. The only way in which I found the car is different is in driving up a steep slope, where the weight of the car makes the engine work harder than other cars need to, but not in an unreasonable way.
Too early to tell

Better than expected

Better than expected

2019

Love the car and features it has but would not have upgraded from a 1.6 diesel i30 that gave me 46mpg to this hybrid that currently gives 52mpg. Way lower than the 60mpg minimum I was told the car would do. Will get rid in the new year and swap for a Toyota CHR.

Premium SE.

Update from my previous review. I have now covered 4,000 miles. The Ioniq continues to impress. It's very comfortable and a pleasure to drive. All the features are clever and useful. My gripes are a low EV only use and economy. It has levelled off at 62 mpg. I think this is very poor compared to official figures. Now I'm not naive enough to expect 87mpg but I would have thought 70mpg plus should be achievable. I've just been talking to a Niro owner who is getting 70mpg. As far as EV travel, this is only for a small part of the time. I recently came down Mam Tor in the Peaks and because I was hard on the brakes all the way down the charge was almost full when I finished my descent. I then drove around 2-3 miles on battery power until engine kicked in. Locally, it's sporadic at best. I think bigger more powerful batteries are needed, maybe something for the facelift model. Overall though, a fantastic relaxed car to drive with amazingly comfortable seats. Happy days.

Premium SE

This is by far the best Hybrid car I have driven. It's much better than the Toyota Prius and is cheaper as well. It drives well and feels lively in sport mode with about the same performance and economy as a modern diesel -but without the pollution! A very solid and practical car and with ride and handling that are basically good. Negatives are I think the steering feel could be better and there is rather more tyre noise on the motorway but these are minor gripes. Considering that this is Hyundai's first Hybrid it represents a major technical achievement and I would highly recommend this car!

Premium

I've not had it long but very very happy with the drive. The kids love it too - especially the audio options. It's surprisingly stylish, too. Main reason for purchase was it ticks the eco friendly box without being beyond my budget. Fuel economy is excellent and has halved my petrol bill so far - not quite as impressive as the advertised 79 mpg though hence the 4 stars. In every other way it would be 5. Boot is big enough for my needs. Overall a car that suits our future needs, economical without compromising on style.

Excellent so far

Very happy so far
Very good although fuel consumption is unsurprisingly not as good as advertised.

SE

This is a superb car - lots of room for four people, a decent sized boot and exceptional safety equipment, including adaptive cruise control, autonomous braking, reversing camera and lane keep assist. It is a lovely car to drive, very powerful in sport mode and extremely economical and yet still quick in Eco mode. The auto gearbox is smooth and the brakes are less snatchy than other regenerative systems on some hybrids. This will not be my last Ioniq.

Excellent so far

Not intended to be a sports car, but very quick, powerful and smooth.

Fantastic - I'm getting over 70mpg on every trip.

Recommended