Used Renault Captur review: 2013 to 2019 (Mk1) : owner reviews

"The Renault Captur is a comfortable and easy-to-drive small SUV that should be cheap to run"

• Electrics (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Other (2 cases)
  • Engine, Suspension (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

1.5dCi Auto

Cracking little car, it has surprised me a lot. My employer is renting this for me until my company car is ready. I had a Nissan X-Trail 4WD 7 seater for 2 weeks and it was like wrestling a rhino in comparison. This Renault has no rattles, accurate steering, low road and engine noise and handles very well with a bit of overtaking poke even in ECO mode. It doesn't tilt around corners (I read a conflicting report elsewhere). It's not in Honda's league on the fuel economy (67mpg+) but Honda interiors drive me mad with constant rattling. The mirror is a bit weird though, it seems to magnify the view which is strange when reversing, making things look bigger and therefore closer ??

Dynamique 1.5 Diesel

Brilliant car all round, when on the road it feels like in much more expensive car. Tons of kit with great and clever cabin

1.5 MediaNav

I love my Captur. It is an Automatic with stop/start. It doesn't miss a beat - the only gripe I have with it is that the tyre pressure sensor or sensors have developed a fault and currently my dash board tells me I have a puncture - even though I have had it checked twice and I deffo do not. The sensor(s) are due to be replaced next week. I get 51.8mpg - apparently - consistently which is a wee bit disappointing but not too shabby as I do drive fairly hard on the M-Way (all legal of course). Super comfortable car, very easy to drive, cruise control switch in a funny place but soon get used to that - highly recommended. I use the ECO mode all the time but having just read another review about it sapping power will try without it for a couple of tanks and see what happens - if anything!

1.5 dCi Dynamique

It is obviously not a sports car but it goes really well, drop a gear for overtaking (out of Eco mode) 55mpg on winding Highland roads, it's relatively quiet and it's comfortable. The only negatives I have is that it does not continually display avg mpg/ avg speed/ outside temp etc. You have to press a button to look at each item, and I need steps to wash the roof. Easy to get in and out of, nice alloy wheels, plenty of interior space, touch screen display/ radio/ phone calls (via Bluetooth) and plug in a memory stick with all your music or play via smartphone, + sat nav . Competitive pricing. Great car (not little) .
Still new.

Not too shabby for the dci 90

Really good 55 mpg

120 EDC

This the best car I have had in 50 years of motoring, having owned more than 25 cars in that time. The 1.2 turbo engine is very quick, the auto gearbox is very smooth. I have had the car 10 months and done 6000 miles. the ride is very smooth. the only down side is (not really) people come up to me in car parks and ask me what it is and can they have a look.

1.5 Dynamique

The practicality of the car for my family, ride quality, handling, acceleration and driving position are all excellent. It's very practical and spacious with a very nice interior which has some excellent features. My previous car was a Ford Focus which I really liked but I think this is a much better car in all areas. I'd highly recommend this car to anybody

Excellent - never had any problems.

Excellent. Drives extremely well.

Very economical car.

1.5 dci manual

Excellent car, very smooth to drive, very economical, was cheap to buy and had some great features like 7" touch screen, USB compatibility and ECO mode switching. Still not too many of these on the road so i feel quite exclusive when driving it. Road position is nice and high and whole family is happy with the purchase. 5/5

TCe 120 EDC 5dr

It is one of the best cars I've owned, doesn't have any problems. This car is fantastic.

1,5Dci 90bhp manual

If you are familiar with and like Renault Clio 3 and onwards, you will also like this car. It's basically the same car, just with a little more finesse, modern style and more space. But where my previous car, a Renault Clio 3 1.5dci 2009 was to run 62,42mpg / 22.1km / l (UK gallon), it was often even better diesel economy. Renault Captur 1.5dci 90bhp manual transmission from 2016 is to run with 78.5mpg combined driving (urban and highway). But the trught is that it will probably not use less fuel, than 57mpg / 20km / l. It is a bit disappointing. Overall the car is great, and the only real problem you have discovered so far, is the the wheel arch is not fit tightly
So far, it has been very reliable.

As good as you would expect from a car like this.

Because of the fuel economy, that Renault supply isn't true, it gets 3 stars. This is also true, for ofther car manufactures.

1.5 dCi Dynamique S MediaNav

Ignore the boy racers who complain about "handling", you're not going to be driving this car on a race track. This is a car aimed at the young family market who want something practical with nice features to get about town, and cheap to run. No VED, excellent MPG and a nice easy drive (for a diesel). Some top features for a small, relatively cheap car - rear parking sensors, cruise control, auto lights & wipers and an amazing featureful integrated touch screen system which has Sat Nav, Radio, phone/bluetooth integration,

Dynamique S Medianave 0.9 TCe

Utterly awful car. Truly terrible ride/handling compromise means the car wallows all over the road yet still gives an uncomfortable, bordering on nauseating, ride made worse by cheap and nasty seats. Noisy, punchless engine tuned for emissions but delivers abysmal real world performance and economy. Shoddy fit and finish, everything rattles and the pointless gadgets don't work half the time. Worst paint finish seen on a new car in a decade.

1.5 dci media nav S

I have just got one of these cars and I am really happy with it. It is practically all I need for the family, engine is great plenty of pull and economical. Now to the let down! The paint, I am convinced it only has one coat as the slightest knock and the paint falls off, the slightest scratch and you are left with the undercoat showing. Great car but let down by the paint thickness.

TCe

We were supplied one of these as a one-way rental from Enterprise. OK, they are not my kind of car (we have Mazda 6 and Mazda Mx-5) but I was prepared to be open minded - wrong! It was absolutely awful. The handling was terrible, a total lack of feel or direction input in corners. OK - so I thought maybe not meant to be sporty, so it will be a comfortable ride across the back lanes. Wrong again, on the lanes leading from the main road to our village, which are bumpy, it behaved like a spacehopper. The engine? A pretty gutless small turbo petrol, a car this size needs a torquey diesel for sure. All in all I was very glad when I handed the keys in at the rental return depot

1.5 dci90 Dynamique Medianav

Practicality without the bulk. 65 plus mpg knocking about. No road tax, low insurance, 4 years warranty. Good looks. I havn't had one dot of trouble with this motor as yet. Love the LG touch screen infotainment system. Adjustable boot space to suit the occasion and removable washable seat covers. Auto lights and wipers would cost plenty on most other cars.

No problems as yet.

Adequate for what I require.

Best I've ever had.

Great car drives very smooth and easy, the Eco button is great for around town, great space in the boot. Would recommend

5 door petrol

Due to work, I rent different cars weekly. Have driven almost everything out there. This week got one of these things... it's got to be the worst suspension I have EVER tried! I now notice bumps where before I thought the asphalt was smooth. I can feel my kidneys after a 10 minute ride. I feel nausea when I stop the car... And this is on smooth roads. I only found once little crack on the road in a corner and the thing went like a wild bronco! How can Renault get so terribly wrong? How can anybody nowadays?? So, no power, REALLY tall (even the floor!), no handling (tilts like a boat), and the WORST suspension currently available. Yep, no brainer. Now, where's my skateboard?...

1.5dci

I've had this car for 2 weeks and love it. My commute to work is a long 2.5 hrs 100 miles along country roads, where I average 75 mpg. This fuel consumption was the main reason for the purchase. I feel very safe driving the car and would thoroughly recommend going for a look yourselves and having a test drive. Still not seen any on the road, apart from mine. Have my 11yr old son's approval of coolness too.

2019

I collected a Renault Captur on 12th Aug 2019 since then I've had to call the RAC out twice the first was electrics and the second was that the clutch pedal became inoperable due to the master cylinder becoming detached from the bulkhead [possible design fault } Total mileage 345 all this after weve had the car for just 9 weeks. I have been with Renault for about 25 yrs but I'll never ever have another one.

Signature

We love our Captur. It is not the fastest car but we wanted a family car. Plasticy inside but easy to wipe when you have kids. Space inside and the boot is great. Reasonably cheap to maintain. At the beginning, we had an error with one of the tyre sensors, but it was fine after we changed it. We had an error with gearbox but it was sorted in half day at Renault. That is it all. Not fun to drive but relaxing. It drives really easy and it's a nice family car!
Few errors with tyre sensors but fixed.One error with gear box but fixed in Service.
Not the edge of the tech

Cheap to run. I have a diesel and automatic gearbox so the manual is punchy and more economical

1.5 diesel automatic

Great little car. Just two gripes – it's impossible to some of the dashboard info in bright light, the headlights seem a bit dim, generally full-beem seems like dipped beam and can't set up any higher. Perhaps I'll have to put 1/2 hundred weight in the boot. I prefer the auto start/stop to be turned off and the cruise control switch is in a funny position. Generally very happy, though.

1.5 dynamic media

I really don't understand the "handling" problems quoted by other people: this car is not a sport car and does exactly what is meant to be (probably the people that wrote a review before have never driven a SUV before). It is spacious, comfy with a lot of safety gadgets that are value for money. A lot of space inside, a nice design and very cheap running costs (57miles/gallon average) are, to me, the best pro of this car. The only cons that I found are related to the plastics (too cheap in my honest opinion considering the price of the car) and the SatNav which is not exactly user friendly in some of its functions. Overall I'm more than satisfied and I strongly recommend this car to anyone.

1.5 Dynamique S Medianav

This is an excellent car so ignore the negative posts about ride handling etc, I have had my car for three months now and it's the best car I have had in 43 years of motoring. The car has a great driving position, spacious, lots of toys, and very comfortable. Highly recommend as a great little family run about. ECO mode doesn't really offer many gains in MPG but I am only doing short journeys.

No issues

Very good

1.5 Dci

This car is a dream to drive, I would highly recommend this vehicle to all who are interested in economy and comfort on any type of journey.I have the Intend model with some Zen add ons, so it is keeping up with the technology expected in more expensive vehicles.

1.5 DCI Dynamique

Great little car. Ignore the negative posts about ride handling etc, i have had RX8's and although this is no sports car it does its job very well while maintaining comfort. The steering is great and very light when at a stop to aid parking etc and stiffens as the car speeds up. The clutch is the lightest I have ever used and is great for town stop/start. Dynamique spec has lots of toys inc sat nav. i have done 5k miles in 4 months and hasn't missed a beat! Highly recommend these for a great little family run about. ECO mode should be left off, as it saps the power and doesn't really offer many gains in MPG. No rattles and very SOLID car. Should last the distance. Renault have really upped their game.

Not one issue as yet.

The 1.5 DCI is very punchy for this type of car (out of ECO mode), enough for this car.

55mpg on combined and upto 73mpg on long runs. Free road tax, very low insurance and 4 years free warranty & servicing.

TCe Dynamique S Medianav

Refined and very comfortable, excellent ride and handles better than a tall car should. Impressively economical and smooth 900cc engine delivers surprising performance. Excellent, practical little car and fantastic value for money.

1.5 diesel (90 bhp) dynamique s nav

Probably the worst car I've ever had. Interior is terrible, made from really cheap and scratchy plastic all over and it literally has 1 full size cup holder that isn't deep enough so things will spill. Terrible gearbox, Poor mpg along with other problems like the bottle for screenwash had to be replaced after 1month of ownership. The infotainment unit required a radio code to be entered almost weekly. There is no 12v or USB in the back (my old kia rio 2014 had 2 in the front and 1 in back) poor handling and poor ride made long distances very uncomfortable. But by far the worst thing was the seats barely any side bolstering and poor quality foam made body roll really bad so bad in fact I had to push on the passenger seat to avoid sliding out the seat. The only saving grace was the exterior styling.

Small things needed fixed well before their time

Terrible just terrible. Poor ride due to ridiculously bad seats

Poor mpg for a small car 44mpg avg wasn't impressive considering my neighbours kadjar got 40mpg from a petrol auto

Dynamique NAV Diesel

This car is coming near to the end of my three year lease and overall I'd recommend it as a good family vehicle, as my second new car I can say I've really enjoyed owning it. Previously, I've owned a Transit, Transit Connect, Vectra, Fiesta, Corsa, Ka, Seicento (those two were my wife's), Focus, Honda Insight, L200 and Berlingo so have a decent base for comparison. Starting off with space, it feels a little cramped and feels quite bulky inside. There has still been enough space to take us on quite a few family holidays with plenty packed into it. The boot is a decent size, although not particularly big, it struggles to fit our pushchair in with a few other items when we're going away unless you move the seats forward. On that note, the rear seats moving forward with a simple handle is an excellent installation, as long as no adults are sitting in the back! Overall it's manageable for a family of four with two young children, the boot is still bigger than a Nissan Juke for example. Also on the positive side, the car feels very sturdy and well built and I'm assuming a lot of the internal bulkiness helped the car achieve its 5 star Euro NCAP rating. I was rear ended at a junction and despite the third party driving at decent speed, it barely scratched the body work. For a modern car this is definitely a good sign, watch the crash test videos to see how well it performed. Performance wise, most of the time I travel longer distances driving for 30+ minutes at a time and therefore have averaged 60+ mpg in the summer and 55+ mpg in the winter, higher on premium diesel. This will start to dip at 65- 70mph, but the engine for me performed very economically when cruising around 60-65 on my motorway trips. The onboard trip computer is simple to use and records this accurately. The range estimator is ok, comes in with around 50 miles left for me, but often miscalculates the remaining MPG and overestimated how much I had left. The sat nav is very basic and only searches postcodes with 4 characters. The Renault R Link system was offered when I took the vehicle, but at £455 I didn't bother. Media player works well with Bluetooth and lightning USB cable. The speakers provide good sound. 'Points of interest' are quite inaccurate at times and it's often taken me the wrong way, buy a cheap phone bracket and use your smartphone. The controlling buttons behind the steering wheel are well placed and easy to use for the media system whilst holding the wheel. Engine feels good, runs quietly and has the car moves nicely between the gears with a nice, smooth gearbox and clutch. For speed, turn off ECO mode and you get a decent enough kick for overtaking or accelerating quickly when required. ECO mode will limit you to a much slower acceleration, unless you floor the gas which will override it to some degree. Auto stop/start works well, had no issues wth any electrics onboard whatsoever. Clutch feels good, the assisted hill start works effortlessly and you notice it when you drive a car without it. Comfortwise, the seats feel good, the zip off covers are fantastic when you have kids and are easy to remove, reattach and wash. Driving position feels good and is quite relaxing for longer journeys. cruise control works well, I've used it a lot as I had plantar fasciitis and it's very easy to accelerate, decelerate, cruise and cancel. Brake pads, drums and tyres have all generally lasted a long time. Didn't change the rear Michelin tyres until around 45,000 miles and drums around 55,000. Issues: I just broke down 2 years and 10 months into the car's life due to CV joint issues and it is currently in the dealership being repaired under warranty. The turning circle is disappointing for a car of its size (even my pickup truck is better!) which means you'll use full lock when parking quite a lot and getting around town (related to the CV joint issue perhaps?). Mileage is 67000 and I've driven the car extremely economically and carefully so keep an eye on this issue with similar age and construction Renaults and make sure you ask the garage to check these areas every time you're there. Steering has started to slightly track to the left. Door seals. A colleague lost integrity to his front door seal within two months. Now the internal of his windscreen freezes. My two rear ones have split, if I don't ensure they are within the closed door & frame before I set off, I'll hear/see them flapping in the wind as I drive. Winter driving. Grips quite well to the road in the wet, drives around corners and roundabouts well, but is VERY poor in snow. Admittedly I didn't have snow tyres, but had a good michelin all rounder fitted and the car simply struggled at any sight of an incline with snow on the ground. I've knocked one star off for the CV joint issue, should it really happen at less than three years? Overall, would still recommend this car, it's been a great little vehicle for us, but I do feel we have outgrown it as a family as the kids get older. If you're after a reasonably priced new car with a good fuel economy, good ability to get around town & park comfortably, nice interior, good level of comfort and a solid safety rating, it may be a good investment.

1.5 DCI Dynamique

I have had my Captur for just a few weeks and to date this little car has done nothing but amaze me. My wife and I do a fair amount of weekend travelling out into the South African countryside and at first I was concerned that replacing my Kia Sportage with a much smaller car wasnt the right thing to do but for the two of us and our Maltese poodle this is just perfect.'There is ample packing space in the boot and leg room up front is more than enough. The fuel consumption means that my fuel bill is half of what is was with the Kia! It was interesting to read that the 1.5 DCi diesel engine has been used in a number of Mercedes Benz models as well so reliability shouldn be an issue.

1.5 diesel 5dr

I got this car 28th June 2014 brand new and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I've had nothing but headaches from this car. 1: tracking was never checked by the garage I got it from. 2: there was brake and/or acceleration sensor problems which caused the car to take ages to speed up or even brake for junctions. 3: the car when parking sensors are beeping cuts off all power and comes up saying engine failure. 4: the keyless entry doesn't always work it has had me locked outta the car for 10/15 mins trying everything to unlock it or when driving it decides to not detect the card even if it's in the card slot. The only few good points to this car are its internal space, fuel economy, and reasonably priced. DON'T BUY THIS CAR YOU WILL BE ALWAYS IN GARAGE!

Very poor.

Very sluggish on speeding up and stopping.

Not too bad.

1.5 dCi

A great little car, economical and comfortable. The Navigation system can be refined as far as the South African version is concerned. A negative point is that normal wheels do not fit into the emergency wheel recess and this can be a problem if you have a car full of people when you have a flat tire. It also could do with additional cup holders. In fact the interior could have done with more thought going into the planning and is a bit disappointing compared to the earlier SCENIC model I owned

Dynamique

I love my Captur. I agree with many of the comments of praise on here. It is economical, looks FANTASTIC, the features and automatic functions eg, lights, wipers etc are awesome. Drives, brakes and corners well and once it gets going and the turbo kicks in it really flies. Great passenger room and variable storage space. But I have 3 major criticisms: 1. Cup holders - what a joke, I have no words. 2. Acceleration from a stop is sluggish. Put your foot down and the car moves 2 seconds later. Took a lot of getting used to. 3. Sensors telling me on dash that I have a soft tyre (checked all and I don't). This is the 2nd time btw. PS, I actually like the ride and suspension and find the seats also really comfortable.

1.2 Turbo

It is really a good car and has surprised me with its torque and power. It's very spacious inside and I was surprised to find that the rear seat can be adjusted to move. There's ample boot space, too. It's ideal for city driving, although it's a shame Renault doesn't include an armrest or leather seating as standard equipment.

Dynamique S

Fantastic car, could not be more pleased with it. Lovely comfortable seats, great gadgets and handling and easy to drive and park. Good fuel economy too. Don't understand the negative reviews on here about handling and smoothness of ride, I have had no problems in that respect at all.

Only had the car two months but no problems so far

Great performance, really pleased with it

Very economical

1.5 Dci 90 bhp dynamique s media nav

58.9
Can't rate this car any better. Been driving for 10 months and consistently get 55-60 mpg, great specification and really comfortable drive. Owned a Ford Focus before this and it's not half of this car. Finally Renault have got it right with their new range. Would highly recommend.

Dynamique 90 tce

Does what it says on the tin cheap to run comfy even on bumpy potholed roads the suspension responds well. Well equipped and plenty of leg room. If you want a rocket this ain't it but it does ok round town nice and nippy and copes with motorways but does feel underpowered at times.

no problems

Would benefit from a slightly larger petrol version ie: a 1.2

1.4 diesel

Very good car, good to drive, plenty of room and a lot bigger inside than it looks. Only complaint is for a diesel it is very low powered, this model needs a turbo.

Good

Very low powered, this model needs a turbo.

Recommended