Dacia Duster SUV (2012-2018): owner reviews

"The Dacia Duster is the best-value SUV on the market today. It’s a rugged, practical and simple machine that can be surprisingly fun to drive"

Price
£10,880 - £20,454

• Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Suspension, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine, Other (2 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)

SUV

Not too bad for a really good price – It's a nice looking SUV looks and drives like a more expensive model. This is my second Dacia Duster and I think the newer model has a bit more style in the body and interior. Mine is a 'Prestige' model 1.5 diesel and drives pretty well. I will be looking at the lastest Duster when it arrives in the showroom this year. You will not be disappointed with the Duster for the price.
Great no problems at the moment
it does the job performance-wise
Not too bad – will not break the bank

Laureate 4x2

My Dacia was one of the first released into the UK, so far I have done approx. 64,000 miles and the car hasn't missed a beat. Highly recommended. We have a brand new Mercedes as well as this car and I prefer to drive the Dacia. 5 of my friends have bought one and they are all very pleased.

Perfect

Quite nippy for a 1500cc diesel, plenty of torque.

Very good

Laureta

Do nt buy any dacia vehicle as they will cost u in the long run and dacia will just tell u to poke it basically third time in for repair as rusty all over inside of doors r all rusty basically where u can't see just because u can see it then it 's a reason to wonder what the inside is like as mine all rusty on inside as well they don't even check the vehicle properly I've so many spots missed Been quoted £6500 for all the rust corrosion so just remember this is a 63 plate from new And the 65plate courtesy car what I have been given is even rusty recormendation if u bought one send them back as they will nt repair properly and r nt a safe vehicle and it has been just pure hassle 100% send back and needs 4 new doors that how bad the rust is on inside and they r still happy to send u on ur way in knowing u have kids in the unsafe vehicle

Ambiance

According to the 'you do the maths' slogan, the Duster makes sense. Which it does if you consider it as only a Sandero Stepway estate. I have the 4WD version with 1.5 diesel engine (the 1.6 petrol is the old Nissan unit; and not great). It's greatest asset is simple commodious motoring. It's cheap to tax and service and should be an ideal family choice if you must have 4WD in winter. Where you pay less money though, you pay for in a series of compromises. Mechnically the Duster is tough and reliable; able to absorb potholes with ease and the Nissan derived 4WD system excellent in very poor conditions. However, I'd not recommend using it off road; the panels and paint are painfully thin (stonechips and tiny flecks of rust in the engine bay area are already apparent (a year old); with so much wind noise that I have to keep checking the doors are shut. There are minor niggles commensurate with the price (the base model doesn't even have a radio - come on Dacia), but the huge downfall is the gearbox giving simply terrible fuel consumption, and adding to more noise. It is so low-geared, I constantly look to change up and my wife finds it infuriatingly short geared; you actually have a five speed box (you can move off easily in second) but must very quickly change up when accelerating . I frequently change from 2 to 4 to 6 (the low gearing of second makes redundant Dacia's claim for the 'creeper' gear in 1st: 1st is almost unuseable in every daily condition. Because of this gearing, no way will you get the claimed 60+mpg. If you travel at 50mph all day, you will get about 40 and get nowhere fast. In a head or side wind at motorway speed, I've averaged 36 indicated, and it's a hairy experience; the Duster is so light that it's blown around and struggles to keep up in such conditions. The 2WD has a five speed box which is higher geared, but - it comes back to the beginning: The Sandero Stepway makes much better sense; it has almost the same ground clearance and equal internal space except for a smaller boot (but still big), and genuinely much better mpg. Relative to engine size and vehicle way, this is the most uneconomical diesel I've owned (average of 39; and I never stray over 70 as I need a licence for a living), and would ask you to 'do the maths' before buying the 4WD version especially (the 2WD is better but has all other drawbacks). A family on a budget might save on original new or nearly new purchase price but you'll pay at the pumps. If you don't need 4WD, go for the Stepway. If you do need 4WD go for a used Skoda Yeti or Nissan X-Trail (the duster is based on the same mechanicals but the Nissan will use less fuel despite being much better put together; because it's got a 'real world' gearbox. It has great character and potential; with thicker panels and a different gearbox, it might step in the right direction. For me, I'm off to look at a replacement - not a Duster.
Tough as old boots; no problems.
Nippy and able to keep up with traffic. But cruising at 70 will give about 38 mpg, and the dreadfully under-geared gearbox means it's noisy when pushed with constant up-changing.
Low tax and very low menu service. Appalling fuel consumption due to very low gearbox gearing and lightweight (unhelpful because the Duster is blown about; using even more fuel). Aftermarket optional extras are very expensive for what they aren't.

Ambience 1.5 Diesel

After 1 year and 10k miles, I am still loving the Duster. Comfy, reliable, stylish, cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure. What more do you need? I've read reviews saying the engine is noisy. it really isn't, or if it is i don't notice it. The stereo is great, bluetooth etc, usb port for memory stick music. The speakers are great but get a little distorted when you whack the volume up to full. I have only found 1 problem with the Duster, and that is the height adjustable seat. In the lower position, the seat rocks slightly. Apparently they are all like this, but as i don't use the lower position it doesn't bother me. Great car, great price - bargain!

Ambiance 1.5 dCI 2 wheel drive

Average SUV but made too cheaply and things like the back seat material is cheap and nasty. The fold down seat back has nothing inside it and even a dogs paw goes though it easily. Also the seat base isn't fully covered and in folded down flat mode it shows all the foam and stapling of the material. The standard car comes without a spare wheel which is an extra as is the cage for it. For another £20 this car could have been made a lot better which is a disappointment. The car doesn't demist the front screen quickly at all and it has condensation on its inside each morning if left out of the garage.

Lauriete 4x4

Great car which drives well and is comfortable. I was really looking forward to getting it as I was one of the first to order one in mid 2012. Unfortunately it has come with built in faults. Firstly there is a buzzing noise under the car. At first this was put down to heat plates around the exhaust. All ave been tightened but its still there. Secondly the heated rear window needs replaced because it blows the fuse. The carpet is wet due to a leak and now there is a clicking noise in the steering column when I turn the wheel. I was thinking mines was an isolated case but when I contact the dealer with a problem I am told I am one of several with the same problem. Not a good beginning for a new make. The left hand versions are made in Europe and the right hand drive are made in India. I am starting to think the Indians have a "That's good enough" attitude to quality control. Pity, it's such a good car.
As above

Good performance very able and comfortable

Laurette

This car has exceeded my expectations so far, if you are not a brand snob that wants your neighbours to see a premium badge on your drive! Then this car beats them all in, cost of running, reliability, character/fun to drive, economy, practical performance, comfort and handling. Minor niggles that don't detract from the overall the experience are: 1) Hard plastic on door hurts RH Knee in vulnerable position. 2) Unpredictable handling over deep pot holes / rough roads - keep your hands on the steering wheel to counter reaction. 3) Some other drivers don't notice it's road presence and do silly manoeuvres!

No issues

Much better than expected, the 1.5dci Nissan engine is a gem.
Too early to tell, but saving considerable money so far on a BMW X3

Laurette 4x2 Diesel 110

It has been a pleasure to own and drive, comfortable, quiet, practical has little niggles i.e. a faulty mirror switch. It has fulfilled all my expectations, plenty of modern features cruise control(love it) etc. OK, it's not Land Rover/BMW posh but it not as expensive, either. It has excellent load carrying capacity, I've carried everything from Labradors to a grandfather clock inside. I've heard reviews to say the engine is noisy, I can't say that I've noticed.

Lauretate 4 x 2 Tce 125

Value for money, can't be beaten, the interior and exterior trim materials and design have improved markedly with the latest facelift. Problems so far have been few and minor in nature such as a squeaky driver's seat, I cured this by slightly adjusting the height, occassional creaks from the dash area trim, dependant on temperature. I find the ride is slightly on the harsh side at low speeds. I can't get anywhere near the quoted fuel economy figure of 46MPG, averaging 34MPG with mixed town and 'A' road driving. Overall though I am very satisfied with the car.

No problems so far
Performs well, lively and punchy petrol turbo but can sound strained at high revs, surprises some boy racers away from the lights
Fuel economy not quite as economical as advertised

diesel

Although I've had my Dacia Duster for only 9 months I am very satisfied with its performance and reliability and fuel economy the latter being 50mpg. Drivers can achieve excellent fuel economy by using the 6 gears to the full which mean changing up to the 6th gear as often as you can. In contrast some new owners might at first be puzzled as to how to find/engage the reverse gear. But its easy when you find out how to do that. The Dacia Duster performs well on the narrow and poorly maintained roads in the New Forest where I live. Previously I had a 4-wheel drive Toyota RAV but the recent model like the comparative Suzuki is bland and the Honda CR-V looks dated to me. On that point the main reason I purchased a Dacia Duster was because of its great design - I do like a good-looking car! Mine is metallic black not the standard white. The only criticism I have of the Dacia Duster is that the glove compartment is too shallow. It needs to be deeper or more 'boxy' so it holds more. Potential purchasers might like to know that unlike a lot of new cars the Dacia Duster has a spare wheel (stowed under the rear of the car.) The only other complaint I have if it can be called a 'complain' is that when I bought my Dacia Duster I was about the only person in the town I lived who had one. So it was great to drive and own a rather exclusive car. But now the Dacia Duster is becoming way too popular because I'm seeing more and more of them being driven on the roads where I live. Why can't people just stick to buying the usually big well-known car brands!!!

1.5 DCI Laureate 2wd

I bought my Duster at Easter 2015, and couldn't be more impressed. When I got the car I lived in the country and was impressed by how it handled the rough country roads. Now I live in the outskirts of the city and it does just as well here. Been on a couple of long journeys with it. Excellent motorway cruiser. As for fuel economy - WOW. Aberdeen to Bournemouth on a single tank, using it at home, I only fill the tank once a month. On the whole great car, would own another any day.

1.5 diesel ambiance

I bought car in January this year. I love the car and I've had no problems whatsoever. I would recommend that people buy the car - it's cheap and cheerful and the dealer was great. He showed me how everything in the car works and I would definitely buy another one.

Performance is good diesel engine quick hope to tow caravan with it in near future six speed gearbox good holds the road well even in corners all in all top car

1.5 dCi Laureate 4x4

I used to own a trusty but aged Y-reg Honda CR-V which, with 155,000+ miles on the clock, was simply starting to absorb money, so I decided it was time for a change. I did a bit of checking around and opted for the Dacia Duster (although I have to admit that, being a Scot, value for money did influence my choice!). I bought mine new in March '14 and since then have put over 27,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems at all. As the saying goes, it does what it says on the tin! OK, it's not the most powerful 4x4 out there, nor is it the sexiest-looking, but we live in Lochaber in the Scottish Highlands, where a 4x4 is not a necessity but is certainly not a luxury, and the Duster suits us down to the ground. The driver's seat adjusts enough to suit me (at 5'9" and 23 stone) and my wife (at 5'2" and only about half that): we get 50+ mpg under all normal driving conditions, there's ample room for the driver and 3 passengers (4 if they're not my size!), and a big boot space which gets even bigger with the rear seat backs folded down. It's only been in the garage twice since we bought it, both times for regular services, and mechanically it's been perfect, although I'd expect that from a brand new car anyway - we'll see how we get on as it ages. There are a few fiddly wee things I would change with the dashboard layout:- I'd have the little indicator activation lights much higher up, much further apart, and at least 3 times the size they are just now, so that I can actually SEE them without having to squint; I'd have the activator switch for the hazard warning lights protruding and on top of the dashboard for ease of access and operation, rather than recessed down near the bottom of it; I'd have the heater controls much higher up as well, so that I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see what I'm doing when I'm adjusting said controls; and I wouldn't have the lighter socket tucked in behind the water-bottle holders where I have to move the bottles to get to the socket. As I said, though, these are very minor inconveniences, and overall I'd give the Duster 96%. It also doesn't hurt that the top-of-the-line Duster costs about the same as virtually other comparable cars' basic entry-level model!

Laureate

Brilliant car but, dealer has had it for past 3 months as they cannot get a spare part for the air conditioning that went wrong and cut my engine out. So although I love the car there are some big issues with spare parts. Dacia have been less than helpful.

Laurete 4x4 diesel

Absolutly love it, for the money I just cannot fault it. Love driving it, had the styling pack & media pack as extras, really finishes of the bodywork, and not having to have CDs is fab. Definitely go for white on 4x4, it's the now colour, with the front facelift it looks great, even has a spare wheel as standard.

First class.

My last car was a nissan Navarra 2.5, so though the Duster would feel under powered, but the diesel engine is very responsive. Great.

Very good.

Laureate 4x2

Bought the car new last July to replace and Audi Allroad that was costing a fortune to run. I chose the Duster as I wanted a new car with a warranty with enough room to fit fishing gear in the back, bikes on the roof and also use for long trips and holidays as well as day to day commuting up and down the motorway. I tested many different cars including Kia Sportage, ix35 etc... But didn't want to spend in excess of £20k. I've been really impressed with the Duster. I know have 14k miles on the car, averaging 51mpg over that mileage, best MPG was 61mpg over a 200 mile journey on motorways and A roads. The running costs are really good, £55-60 to fill up the tank and up to 550 miles per tank when mostly motorway driving. First service was less than £150 and I paid for the fully comp insurance with the rebate I got from the Allroad! Had a niggly problem with the Bluetooth that the dealer sorted by replacing the microphone, now all good. The 1.5 Diesel engine is surprisingly quick and although a little noisy to begin with, it's now getting quieter with every 1000 miles driven. My business partner is convinced its a 2 litre engine under the bonnet. Took my folks on holiday to Norfolk and they found the ride comfort and rear seats very comfortable and far nicer than a Brand new Toyota Land Cruiser they'd been in a few weeks before. Although 2 wheel drive only the extra ground clearance and Mud and Snow tyres are fine for driving across fields, down rutted tracks and through the floods earlier this year ( I live in a village that gets more than its fair share of flooded lanes!) All in all it's been great, better than I expected and terrific value for money and very cheap to run compared to my previous cars. Highly recommended if you want a reliable, honest work horse that's comfortable, capable and puts a smile on your face.

4x4

Bought the car new, have 16200 miles now under its belt and still runs like new, cant seem to get more than 39 to 43 MPG but its a good all rounder, I have not had a better car for the cash. it drives very well, comfort is very good, the first service was done whist I waited and the cost was a tad over £80. I will be buying another one.

4x4 Laurette

After running Audis Mercs an Peugeots over the last 10 years, I got bored with throwing money away on cars every 2-3 years. I live in the Sticks and wanted something that would cope a little better with all of the Damn potholes that never get sorted. Took a duster for a test drive and went back the following week and ordered one. I've now covered over 5000 miles and love the thing. It's simple , honest ,works reliably , has plenty of space , I'm already getting 50mpg on a regular basis on mixed roads. For comparison I had test driven a Rav4 , qashqai, Audi Q3 , ix35 , yeti and kia sportage, there is a trade off with handling vs comfort but the duster strikes a good balance for me. The Renault engine in the duster is surprisingly good for the capacity , the 4 wheel drive system is straight out of an x-trail. The car is well put together, works reliably and the laurette trim has everything I need.The car is excellent value and I love the simplicity and honesty of the vehicle. finally I love the fact that I could have bought a Q3/Q5 of a similar spec on PCH and still owe after 3 years more than I Paid for the duster in total

4x2 1.5 diesel

0.55
For the money a great car, as the saying goes: "does what it says on the tin".

so far excellent just done 400 mile trip no problem
Oh joy on motorway breezing past Audi/BMW etc to see there faces being passed by a Dacia the 1.5 diesel is brilliant.

For above trip had just under half a tank of diesel topped up £23 quid did 400 miles still have 1/3 of a tank.

1.5Dci

I have owned this car since april 15 and have had no issues. It sailed through its first MOT this week no problem. I know this car is rated lower in the safety ratings that some cars of its class, but it certainly fared well when I was rear-ended by another car. The Dacia only needed a replacement bumper, while that car that hit me was a write-off.

Laureate Prime

I've had my Dacia Duster laureate prime since December and I'm very pleased with it. Driving the Duster is better than I expected. I really love this car, the more I drive it the more I like it. Plenty of space and everything suits all my needs. I really recommend this car to anyone who doesn't care about brand and wants a good reliable car.

1.5 dCi Laureate 4x2 Phase 2

This car has exceeded all expectations; it's roomy, comfortable, has a big boot and the engine pulls like a train - the high seating position also gives a commanding view of the road. Air con, cruise control, bluetooth are included but you pay extra for a spare wheel on a 4x2. On rural roads at moderate speeds it does 54mpg. The car cruises comfortably way above the speed limit but mpg starts to suffer above 70mph, presumably because of aerodynamics. The high ground clearance and soft suspension make it a great car for unmade roads and tracks. No problems after 5,000 miles - the Phase 2 looks pretty solid.

100% after 5,000 miles.

Strong diesel performance, feels much gutsier with the Eco switch turned off which costs you 1.5-2 mpg.

My dealer offers 3 years servicing for £390, average 52mpg.

Signature ( Laureate in UK) 4x2 1,5DCi 110

I live in Ireland where this car, due to Stg/Euro exchange rates, costs about the same as its Laureate sibling in the UK. You will not find a better price/quality package anywhere. It's spacious, reasonably well-equipped, with good ease of driving and a really good 6-speed gear change. Reliability is high. There is also the comfort of a standard 3-year warranty. It is as spacious as a Qashqai - in fact the largely same car is Nissan- badged in some other markets. All in all, there is very little to dislike in such a competent performer. The clincher has to be the price. Truly brilliant value in a good album- rounder and you know what- it looks individual in a segment market where it's increasingly difficult to tell its competitors apart, so similar do they all look!
Very good, no issues.
More than adequate for the real- life conditions I encounter daily! How fast can I legally go anyway?
Reasonable.

1.5 diesel Laureatte.

Excellent value for money, great visibility, was going to buy a second hand Qashqai but bought brand-new Duster and still had cash to spare.

ambience

Best car ever! Runs on air and works! If you don't want rubbish and unreliable gear that makes driving a misery when it breaks down, you don't have to! Get a Duster everything works and is proven technology. Even the extras can be sourced easily and cheaply e.g. locking wheel nuts, carpet and so on. Plenty of power and even indicates when to change gear for better fuel economy!

Ambience dCi 110 2 X 4 (diesel 2 wheel drive)

Had our Duster for 6 month now after having to wait for what seemed to be an eternity for it to arrive. The problem was the delivery date to the dealer was changed several times due to poor organisation by the shipper or at the port. No real grumbles with the car except that we had the adventure pack fitted and although it looks great, it has slightly lifted on one of the wheel arches - other than that no problems like the previous reviewers. The car is roomy, ideal for a growing family like ours. The car with the options came out roughly as the same price as a new Ford Fiesta and although obviously not so well made etc offers amazing value for money, as well as being a larger capacity car with 4 doors and a massive boot. Had several other SUV's in the past but loving the quirkiness of the Duster.

Laurete 1.5 Dci 4x2

So far no problems whatsoever! Comfortable ride and for the money first class. Yes it is not a sophisticated ride, but for the price... .

7000 miles done and no issues at all.

Sometimes feels a little underpowered

Am regularly getting 50mpg have got 70 on some journies.

Honestly I loved mine - even when the starter motor went (a common issue I was told at the time). I mean that was until I drove over 60,000 miles which put it out of warranty and then everything started to go wrong - at less than 3 years old. I've just had all injectors replaced costing well over £1,500 - had to hire my own car to get to work. I'm extremely unlikely to recommend or buy ever again. Make sure you read the small print as their warranty also affects their breakdown company who will not assist you if the mileage is over 60,000, which seems like a complete con! I've never had an issue with any other car I’ve owned like this one. I suggest you read all the reviews before buying

1.5 DCi

This is the third Dacia I have had since 2013 and all of them excellent. Purchased a Sandero 0.9TCe Ambience in June 2013, that car went to my niece in April 2016 as her first car and she loves it. In April 2016 I purchased a Logan 0.9TCe Laureate mainly because I wanted warranty/MOT free motoring , However earlier this year I also purchased a small caravan and although the Logan could pull it well enough the car was under some circumstances such as hills etc was a little under powered to comfortably tow. So last summer I made the decision to go for a Duster which like Carbuyer says are decent towing cars. The Logan was bought off me by my sister in law's father and I took delivery of a pre-registered 2017 Dacia Duster Laureate 1.5 DCi last July. (2017). The car is just perfect for my needs of travelling too and from work 20 mile round trip. While towing it does a great competent job. What Dacia have proved with these cars is that anyone wanting a competent car for day to day life you don't have to pay over the odds . Its no wonder therefore that Dacia's are now a thumping success story in the UK.

Very good and if needed Dacia's warranty is well backed up

Preformance on all the Dacia;s is good and the 0.9 TCe engine in the Sandero and Logan certainly moves the cars quick. The Duster 1.5 DCi is slower but is still rated with a top speed of 104 mph.

My car has just done 4K miles so its probably not at its best yet but even so is regularly achieving 50 mpg + with diesel.

1.5 diesel Laurette

I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about. I have had my Duster for 18 months and am well satisfied with it. I would recommend the Dacia Duster to anybody. The engine is not too noisy and the comfort is great. With all the add ons for the Laurette it is a very good car.

very reliable

Pretty good

Not as cheap as the Dacia Sandero but good for its size

1.5 DCI Diesel 4x2

Great value for money. I have an updated 2016 model, it has a very quiet engine, good seats and is economical. I'm guessing the sound deadening has been improved as its a very quiet car to drive. Touch wood, I've had no issues so far. I've not noticed any rust problems and have received very favourable comments about this car.

So far excellent
Diesel engine pulls like a train!

Great

Prestige

Had the car for a year nice to drive plenty of power so far no problems. I would recommend it to anybody. A practical car for a good price.

So far good
Plenty of power
Good

1.5 Laureate 4x4 5-door diesel

Since my last review a couple of years ago I have had absolutely no reason to change anything I said then. My Duster is now coming up on 48,000 miles and its fourth service, and has performed flawlessly since new. To paraphrase the Ronseal ad, "It does what it says on the tin!"

1.5 Diesel 4x4

29.4
I needed a 4x4 that can go anywhere without going into extreme offroad rock crawling or deep mud baths. When I got the Duster coming from German cars I was a bit struck by the Spartan options, but decided to take matters in my own hands. I've changed the shock absorbers with harder dedicated ones for a 2.5 cm lift and better cornering, BFG Ko2 tires for amazing grip when off road, BFG Urban Terrain tires will work too. I've installed 3 cameras on OEM screen, added better lights and fog lasers and also did lots of soundproofing, changed the speakers, used better oil and oil additives plus added a carbon air-filter (from a Nissan Micra) and an aluminium extra front shield. Now the Duster is a small beast of a 4x4, it climbs like Spider-Man, it floats on snow I was unable to get it stuck on flat terrain and drives well in corners at speed. This is a city car that can do some serious off roading - these are its strong points, long range highway driving its not its strong point.

105 dci Laureate Prime

Not disappointed with my purchase at all, well built, comfortable, well equipped and a far better purchase than a premium brand second hand. Dacia maintenance plan also a really good deal. Done a fair bit of motorway work, cruise control a boon. It would be untrue to say that interior material quality is of the highest standard, but it's tough and good value for money. Put your preconceptions aside, forget the kudos associated with premium brands and take a serious look at what is an excellent car.

Laureate

Pros - fantastic boot space, easily holds 3 Labradors :). 36K with one set of tyres, good price, reliable starter, 4WD very good. Cons- very noisy, wallows so back seat passenger feels sick, already had new steering rack, pump, new driver seat as it was moving from day 1, needs both front seat replaced - been on order for over 10 months, had massive water leak - all air con condensation running into front footwell, rust due to salt water contamination on transport over - has been repaired under warranty, door seals all replaced. A lot of faults for new vehicle, and I'm losing confidence in it. Shame, as it does the trick.

Good starter, tends to mist up badly, needs air con on all the time, wallows, very noisy. First gear pretty useless, have to change up quickly, not a crawler gear.

Good fuel consumption locally about 43 -48 mpg. long journey had 59 mpg.

Laureate 4x2

Bought the car in May 13, as I needed something I could rely on for a long commute each day (65 miles each way). Went to look at the Logan, as I had sat in one used as a taxi and was impressed, but the Duster really caught my eye. Now at 53,000 miles in 2 years, and the only problem I have had is when the car was jet washed during the service, the cleaning guy broke the seal on the aerial, so there was some water seepage in the car (affected the bluetooth and the cabin light). The garage took it back the next day, gave me a car to use free of charge, and returned the car the following day as good as new. 4 services in now, and less that £150 for each service. The car has been an absolute delight to own, and at 53k miles, I'm still on the original brakes and tyres. I'm averaging just under 45 mpg, for motorway driving around 80mph (77mph if any police are reading...). I have noticed that fuel consumption rises quite markedly if you drive over 2500rpm, but below that the economy is great.

Excellent - starts, runs, stops when you need it to, can't ask for more than that...
bit soft on the ride, but that suits me fine - I've driven this car along bumpy tracks and on motorways, and it handles everything beautifully. Definitely feels better than a 1.5 diesel unit though!
little bit thirsty if you drive over 2500rpm - keep an eye on your revs and you can easily average over 50mpg

SE Summit

For some reason i have always liked the look of the Duster and it's price however it was not until my son looked at a new Nissan and the price I thought the Duster Summit has a similar spec, so i went to our local Renault/Dacia dealer and took a demo version on a test drive. What a revelation ! I found it to be far beyond what I thought. It was comfy, pulled well on dual carriageway, was not noisy and is well equipped and my and father-in- law finds it easy to get in and out. It is huge inside, too. All in all we liked it that much we bought it and for almost half the price its Nissan Qashqai rival with the same engine. I willgive 3 stars for now, based on test drive only and spec.

Prime 4x4 1.5 dci

I've had this car now for 20 months and mostly drive locally with the odd longer journey, I have found it to be very economical with winter averages of about 47 mpg and summer of about 55 mpg. The 4x4 system has come in very useful this winter and love it that mostly I can drive around in 2 wheel drive for economy. The 1.5 dci engine produces lots of low rev pulling power and the Duster has adequate in performance and at motorway speeds seems very quick to respond easily being able to overtake in 6th gear. The audio system is great and works with Bluetooth, there is loads of room for me at 6ft 3 and 100 kg, the luggage space is plenty big enough too. I've had SUV's far more expensive and enjoy owning the Duster just as much and it gives me great satisfaction to know I have a great car that didn't cost the earth to buy.

No problems very reliable car

With the Duster being light having 260 Nm of torque and short gearing it is quick but as with any diesel does get harsh when if you rev it too high best to stay under 3000 rpm.

Very cheap to fuel and service

Prestige 1.2 petrol

I bought the top of range Prestige model 2 wheel drive and paid £14,000 'on the road'. Since I've had it now for 2 months all I can say is the car is 'absolutely brilliant' . It's been totally reliable, comfortable and roomy. The switches are clear and uncluttered. Yes, performance is not as good as other SUV's but then look at the price compared to other SUV's. If I was to buy a Nissan Qashqai of equivalent spec i'd be paying about £23000.00. has a very large boot and plenty of legroom in back. Its build quality is very good too, and the deal I got included a 5 year warranty. Its spec is good for the money, satnav, Bluetooth, parking sensors and a reversing camera, electric windows and heated door mirrors, DAB radio, iPod connectivity to name some of what this car offers for such a small amount of money. A number of years ago I had a Land Rover Freelander and the feel of the Duster is very similar to that of the Freelander, solid, sturdy and strong. Would I recommend a Duster, you bet I would.

Prestige 1.5 dci 4x4

This for me is the best SUV I have owned. It has the right balance of size, economy, comfort, practicality and strong performance. I have had the car now for 15 months and had no issues with it and find it a pleasure to drive. I like the more traditional styling and love the tough practical interior. It has all the technology I need and it's easy to use and has its own character. I stream music from my Android phone via Bluetooth and the sound quality is really good. Honestly, the car is really good to drive and I can highly recommend it, don't take any notice of those that moan about minor things like switch and sat navigation positioning. As yet I have not used the 4x4 system but hope to this winter. The Duster is truly a great car I would buy again.

Laurette 4x4

Only had this car for two days. I already love the Dacia and it has impressed me with its performance and handling over rough country roads. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the equipment and specification, it also has a charm and character that is hard to define! Time will tell however, first impressions are brilliant

4x4 Laureate

I have had many new cars and this is the only one that has been next to faultless. The only thing that has gone wrong in over 4 years and 34,000 miles is a number plate bulb that blew. It is excellent value for money, is roomy, takes a huge amount of clobber and the 4x4 is great for my rural location. It is a a budget car and so there is no point moaning about hard plastics etc. The only criticisms I have is that it needs better damping for undulating country roads and is noisy.

In over 4 years, the only fault has been a blown number plate bulb
Performance is fine for this kind of budget vehicle
Cheap servicing. Economy could be slightly better

I was very happy with my Duster until I had an accident and needed a replacement rear wing. After 6 weeks wait I still haven't received the part and there is no date that the dealer can give me for when it will be available. An extremely frustrating experience!

Laureate 110 4X4

First saw one on a channel ferry in 2011, and was very impressed by spec and styling, so ordered one on-line as soon as they came on the market, having previously driven 2 Nissan X-Trails . Have now done 57,000 miles and remain impressed, no significant problems: interior light kept coming dislodged, one of the wing protectors (no longer available) came unstuck, and I had to replace a headlamp that evidently got nudged in a car park. Just bought 2 new front tyres to pass the MoT. I do a mixture of motorway and narrow lane driving so was pleased to have the Nissan switcheable transmission, which I had appreciated on the X-Trails, it works well. My car was apparently built in a Nissan factory in India, but I believe the RHDs are now built in Romania. Am looking now at a replacement, probably the 1.2 petrol. Looking at the competition, and given my experience, I think the Duster is great on every front.

No significant issues
Adequate, given I previously drove an X-Trail.
Don't get more than average 40mpg. Best was 47mpg on restricted speed motorway. Seems to be more economic in the summer months!

1.5 dCi Laureate 4x4

Bought this car brand new in May 2015 - we wanted a cheap 4x4 that didn't cost the earth to run. We use the car for a mixture of commuting and long motorway trips. It will sit at 75-80MPH on French motorways with ease and returned 51MPG on a recent trip to Shropshire from Hertfordshire. Around town and commuting it drops between 41-42 MPG. We got a good deal from the main dealer, and for the money I cannot fault it. Although it is our second car, our main one being a 4x4 Skoda Superb estate, we tend to use this car more. We have a house in the country in rural Ireland, the roads can be narrow, muddy and potholed. The Duster just soaks it up and I don't worry about damaging the alloy wheels due to the high profile tyres. I have driven it through a muddy field in 4x4 mode and also on a sandy beach and it copes brilliantly. Putting the back seats down turns it into a small van, great for those trips to the tip. My only criticism is I am 6 foot 1 inch tall, so I drive with my seat all the way back, this means whoever is in the back behind me does suffer from a lack of legroom if they are a tall adult - for kids it would be no problem. Would I buy one again? YES. The engine, although only a 1.5-litre, pulls like a train. Someone else commented that a work colleague said it feels more like a 2.0-litre, I agree. We decided on one after skiing in the French Alps and watching all the French families whizzing up the snow-filled mountain roads, loaded to the gunnels and having no problems in their Dusters. In a sentence, "For the money - brilliant".

So far after six months of use and 6K miles, no issues

Performs far better than you would think for a 1.5 litre turbo diesel. Pulls like a train

Cheap on car tax and insurance, and reasonable MPG

Laureate 4x2

After 9 months and 5k miles, the Duster has been great. Comfy, especially as I travel along lumpy B roads most of the time, reliable, stylish, cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure. The engine is a bit noisy at tickover but once underway it is fine. The stereo is great, bluetooth, mobile phone is paired in, usb port for memory stick music. The speakers are great as long as you do not wish to blow your eardrums out as they get a little distorted if you push the volume up to full. I have only found 1 problem with the Duster: I wish the rear seat would fold flat but not really a major problem. Have brought a spare wheel "kit", brought mount parts from Renault / Dacia and wheel from an online source, cannot stand the "squirt" kits but everyone does it.

No problems so far.

The diesel engine pulls well when driving at motorway speed, overtaking fine, just remember it is not a Porsche.
Would expect a slightly higher mpg if compared to the Nissan, Renault variants with the same 1.5dci engine.

Less than 9000kms and on its 3rd starter motor. Dealer still doesn't know what the problem is.

Ambience 4x4

45.5
Very good value for money with the 1.5 diesel turbo, drives well with a lot of space for trips to Ikea, garden centres etc. Interior is plasticy and hard, but seats although basic are comfortable, back seat shows this when pulled up and seats dropped for that massive storage space. Easy to clean with a sponge with no awkward bits. A pleasure to drive with light steering and good 6 speed box. Paintwork (metallic) sparkles in the sun and changes colour (blue/black). Replaced the Toyota Auris 1.3 and already beats that on fuel consumption. All in all its a good car and a starter for my wife whilst I save up for an Evoque.

No problems at all but it is brand new

70mph at 2500 revs.

For its size you can't beat it.

Four Wheel Drive F4R Engine petrol 2.0L

I am from Panama City, Panama in Central America and I must say I am impressed with this car. The version sold here is the Colombian assembled Duster, badged as Renault Duster, since Dacia is not sold in Latin America. The engine options available locally are all petrol engines, starting with the 1.6 K4M engine and the 2.0 F4R engine, available only in manual for the 4WD version, which I own. I must say the quality is great, although I did find some minor glitches when installing the wheel arches by my own (some bolts were forced in and it was difficult to remove them). Also the latin american version does not come with illuminated window switches but found an Argentinian blog (constantly updated) from Duster owners and users who have torn the car apart and reassembled it. Here I found how to enable the switches lighting. Some owners have even posted the manufacturing manuals so there is plenty of information if you are a hands-on person. Back to the Duster, drive quality is super especially on our roads, which are acceptable for standards, though they do have potholes and irregular surfaces from time to time. Fuel efficiency is acceptable for a city where traffic jams are a daily routine. I have clocked an average efficiency of 26mpg on the city and around 37 mpg on open road (yes using the imperial gallon in case someone asks). Handling is superb as long as you do not push the vehicle too hard. You can take some hard turns and feel confident if you are below 80 km/h. Above that is risky since you can feel there is a tendency to understeer and roll because of the ground clearance and lack of ESP. Braking feels confident when needed. Bumps and rough roads are no problem for this vehicle as long as you don't go to fast the suspension does it work fine. Have travelled through some countryside (jungle roads) and there is no stress with the bumps. Ground clearance is also great especially in this side of the world because of the heavy rains and floods. The 4WD comes handy on situations you will normally encounter in the tropics especially on the rainy season. I prefer to have the setting in 2WD since it is more fuel efficient. Acceleration is great for a car this size (2.0 engine) but the transmission needs some tweaking. The car has an ultra low first gear which is annoying when you start at a traffic light since within seconds you will need to change gears. Better to start on 2nd gear. Not good though since Panama has a lots of hills and you do need to push the pedal a little more just to make sure you don't stall at take off when on 2nd gear. After 3rd gear the transmission feels OK. 6th gear feels like 5th gear almost since at 100km/h you are almost reaching 3k RPM. Interior space is great and material quality is great as well. The 2.0 version comes with leather like (synthetic-leather mix) material. Interior is a little plastic though but OK for what you pay. Lots of space both in the front and rear seats enough to fit 5 3 young adults. For long trips you may get tired though since there is not enough space to stretch legs a little bit. Trunk space is great if you do not plan to travel with lots of stuff. Two full size luggage fits in greatly plus a few more small packages or cases. Sound quality for the radio is great, especially the Arkamys stereo system. Comes with USB, bluetooth and steering column controls. Sound quality overall is a 4/5. Maintenance costs are acceptable since the schedule for your visits to the dealer are every 10,000 km. The first maintenance may cost around 234 USD (115 GBP) more or less. Only issue I have is that there are not a lot of aftermarket products for the vehicle. I have found some and there is also a Russian manufacturer (Rival) who does under body protection for the Duster. Especially needed if you intend to use the car for some serious offroading (like the aluminum rear differential plate). Overall, the car is a great buy for a great price. You get great value product for your money. Here, it is one of the cheapest vehicles (compared to Hyundai IX or Kia Sportage) and has nothing to be ashamed of when compared.

1.5 diesel

Problem with protection pack since day one back door catching the plastic at the bottom.Not fitted properly dealer replaced all the pack but different gaps at where it met at wheel arches.Fitted for a 3rd time better but back passenger side panel came loose and been back 4 times . Both seats have some movement in them firstly the drivers last June and now the passenger seat has same problem. Also a whining noise when you get up to 30mph

Average