Suzuki SX4 S-Cross SUV owner reviews

"The Suzuki SX4 S-Cross is an affordable crossover that competes with models like the Nissan Qashqai and Skoda Yeti"

• Electrics (2 cases)
  • Electrics, Other (2 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)

1.4 autm. Full option

Good car in general. Dealer ok. But when you have a problem, Suzuki just ignores you. 5 years warranty just lip service. Just sold a good car .

Diesel

the Suzuki S-Cross is a lovely looking car, but I have had a lot of disappointments with it. Initially it was back in the dealership on a regular basis as it was getting 'key fob not detected' coming one when the front passenger door was shut, which then moved to the rear doors, fault went away and reason was unknown. it has happened again a couple of times since but not regular. Then when the car was around 8 months old, noticed a rust spot on the bonnet. The car is now 18 months old and has around 20 rust spots of varying degrees, start like a pinhead and then just get larger, Suzuki wont touch as they say they are stone chips and not covered under warranty, someone in the dealership said that their parents car has done the same thing. In over 35 years of driving I have never had this on any of my cars, yes I have had stone chips but the finish on them is such that the top layer of paint comes off but there is protective coating underneath to stop the rust. We have two other cars on the drive which are both over 10 year old and they have not got one bit of rust on the bonnet, (yes they do have stone chips, but no rust). Following a valuation on the vehicle, I have lost around £9,000 in 18 months on the car, if this is the quality of the paintwork I definitely wouldn't recommend a Suzuki to anyone nor will I be buying another one.

1.6 Petrol

Having acquired this car via the Motability Scheme we were over the Moon when we realised we could 'own' such a stunningly beautiful car. The first few months were great, until a major problem arose! With it being a 'Push Button Start' as opposed to the normal turn of an ignition key, you're rather stuck if it won't start! At times, ours quite simply REFUSES to start no matter what pedal you stand on, which door you open, what expletive you use, NOTHING! When you're outside of the likes of Morrisons or simply getting it out of your garage, it's just mildly annoying, but when you're at traffic lights or waiting at a level crossing where you've turned the engine off to save petrol, it's AGGRAVATING in the extreme! The car seems to need to go through some sort of electronic start procedure, deep in its electrics and no matter what you do, it will not start until it's ready! A trip back to the dealer where we were told to 'take a seat', 'get our selves sorted' then GET A BUS or TAXI back home (or to wherever we intended to go! No courtesy cars available (they had about a hundred on the forecourt). Bearing in mind my beloved wife is disabled (hence the Motability Car) I told them to stuff it! This annoying trait has totally and utterly ruined our enjoyment of an otherwise lovely car but guess what sort of car we'll be getting when it comes time to change? Not a bloody Suzuki that's for sure!

Petrol sz5

All-round pleasing car, not many 1.6 petrols that average 51 mpg all the time. There's plenty of room inside and boot space. Light clutch and gear change, very good brakes, comfortable ride and very good handling around bends. Well kitted out car with all the toys that you need.

1.6 petrol SZ3

Great value for money - good all-round vision, great engine, I got 58mpg on a trip to Southampton from Yorkshire. It looks nice and chunky.

1.6 DDIS SZT

Took a little time to get used to the car, some wind and engine noise when driving hard but ok when up to speed. Interior could be a bit more refined even if it raised the cost a little. Excellent economy, I've had 81 mpg recorded on a trip to Birmingham and a photo to prove it. Would ideally have liked a bigger engine as I tow a caravan, the 1.6 DDIS is good for a lightweight van although the handbrake needs to be pulled up very hard when on a hill. Thinking of upgrading to a heavier kerb weight vehicle so that I can tow a larger caravan. Overall the car is good value for money with lots of modern electronics. Gearbox is notchy but responsive.

sz-5 allgrip

Bought the S-Cross to replace an SX4 which we owned from new. The car has all the bells & whistles fitted as standard. All work well getting 45mpg without trying. For a petrol 4x4 this excellent. Use in sport mode it holds the road really well on back roads. No problem with headroom. Overall a very good package from Suzuki.

1.6 DDiS

Without doubt the best car I have ever owned. Four-wheel drive and 64mpg overall, and that has been proved by manual calculation. Only problem was having to replace a tyre pressure monitoring sensor whilst in Germany, but that was done under warranty without even having to book the car in. I have had problems with the Garmin built-in sat-nav, which quite regularly locks. It is simple to correct, you just press the reset button and all is well, apart from the fact it is a little annoying as you have to reset all your stored radio stations and the stored destinations on the sat-nav.

An excellent vehicle, 30,000 miles in one year, I just cannot tolerate a day without driving it.

Superb, put it in sport mode for overtaking and you will compete with any car on the road. 37mph per 1000 rpm makes for quiet crusing.

£30 road tax, 64 mpg four-wheel drive, hardly any tyre wear, although I have winter and standard tyres.

szt

Gearbox awkward selecting 2nd gear hot or cold. Vibrations through steering at 70mph under investagation at my local dealers. Apart from wind noise to both door in cross winds it's ok. Found these are fitted with a flat engine not good for 20 grand.

Very good.

Fast enough.

Diesel 1.6 SZ-T

Perfect driving position, and I mean perfect. Everything works. The torque the engine offers is amazing and the car is fun to drive on twisty roads with perfectly chosen gear ratios. The suspension is firm but very composed. The stereo isn't the most powerful I've had but the DAB is excellent and the Bluetooth, sat-nav and stereo control module is very easy to use. I depend on my sat-nav for work and the Garmin system, although not having all the features sometimes found on stand alone systems, ticks all my boxes. In short, a roomy car with great visibility that is quick and responsive to drive, and very sensible. I'm getting well over 60mpg on longer runs too, with the cruise control set at 70.

Petrol 1.6 CVT

45.1
My third Suzuki (Splash, Swift and S-Cross). Better and comfortable as well. Much economic than my 1.5 l Swift. The steering is great. The engine is not so loudly as described by others. Great features like tires pressure indication, cruise control and speed limit. Back seat has two positions and very comfortable as well, with cup-holders in the middle armrest. Great value for the money.

1.6 petrol SZ5 All Grip

Looks much smarter in the tin than the new Qashqai which is just too contrived. Excellent driving position and comfortable seating. No other car matches it for value given the specification. Ride is firm but this aids the handling. Finish inside is comparable to other cars in the class, and the problem with limited headroom is not nearly as bad as some motoring journalists claim - and no worse than comparable cars. Too soon to comment on overall performance but seems quite adequate if revs are used.

SZ5 Allgrip 1.4 turbo petrol

The SZ5 has a very high level of standard equipment and is very comfortable and positive to drive. There are a lot of electronic interacting safety and comfort systems but up to now (3 months in) absolutely nothing has gone wrong (over 2000 miles on the clock) and we haven't been near the dealership. The power and acceleration from the relatively small 1.4 turbo petrol engine is very good. In 6th gear at motorway speeds you can press the accelerator and it still surges forward. With all the growing issues of diesel ownership I would definitely recommend advanced smallish turbo petrol vehicles such as this in terms of a balance of reliability and economy (its our second car with such an engine). The boot space is excellent and the standard inclusive moveable raised floor makes a higher, flatter platform that is easier to get things in and out. I reckon fuel economy is hovering around the mid 40's mpg level with longer runs getting towards 50. We paid the list price plus the metallic paint option but negotiated about £700 off after showing the Suzuki dealer some deals we could obtain through direct sellers. This meant we paid about £22.5K before trade in, I think its a lot of car for the money. We also managed to secure the 3 year free servicing deal. The only slight niggle is I think the cruise control is a bit over-complexed and the way it works together with the radar braking system means you need to be alert to the way they cause the car to accelerate/deccelerate in some situations

Nothing wrong in 3 months

Good acceleration and handling

Fuel consumption good for petrol turbo, should improve further

1.6 Diesel

I had only had this car for 6 months when it had to go back to the dealer as the uphill disabled warning kept coming on... after two visits to Suzuki this was fixed. The car has since been back to the dealer as the Garmin sat-nav system keeps freezing or just switches itself off and reboots (which really isn't very helpful when you are using it to find an address), after 2 visits to the dealer to get this fixed..... It still freezes. It has recently been back as the reverse parking sensors have just failed, the problem is that as soon as you select reverse gear it gives out a long continuous buzzing sound, and then as you reverse it stays silent. It does not acknowledge anything that may be behind you. After two visits to the garage this problem still has not been fixed - Suzuki says they can find nothing wrong with it. I love the car itself, the driving position and the gadgets when they work. I drive a lot, both for business and pleasure and love how economical the S-Cross is. It's just a shame these features let it down.

1.6 cvt

Good comfortable car with 7-speed automatic gear box. No complaints from rear seat passengers. Good sound system, sat nav and hands free .

SZ-T Diesel 2WD

A great car - very economical, comfortable on long runs and with an excellent driving position I haven't had to constantly fiddle with like most of my previous vehicles. It's quick when needed, reasonably sure footed and pretty good through bends. No problems after just over 11,000 miles. On the downside, I have also experienced the wind noise mentioned by another reviewer, this was in extreme weather conditions though - off-putting at first but I soon got used to it. A shame Suzuki isn't quite up there in the mainstream as we would see a lot more of these cars on the road otherwise.

This is my first Suzuki and I love it. I disagree that the engine is noisy - when I did the test drive I asked the garage owner to show me how to turn the engine on (keyless entry) and it was already on! Also we are a tall family and there's plenty of room in the back. I could have done without cruise control in favour of automatic wipers and lights. Otherwise it's fab

1.6 petrol SZ3

This is my third Suzuki in just over three years and each one just gets better!! On mixed driving of rural and motorway I am averaging just over 50mpg on a tight new engine in winter (only 600 miles) - remarkable - when run in I'd expect mid 50's this summer. Even though mine is the base model it includes cruise control, aircon and a few other toys - all at an unbeatable price. Finally, no I don't work for Suzuki!! but as a Yorkshireman I do appreciate good motoring value

1.4T SZ5 Allgrip

What a great car for the money. Good looking, excellent fuel consumption, good boot space for the class and reasonable performance towing for small caravans. I bought mine to replace a 2ltr diesel Astra Tourer which was a very good car too and more economical on fuel, however emission concerns made me look elsewhere and I found the S-Cross had almost diesel small engine performance despite being a petrol engine. I don't regret the change one jot. The S-Cross is as comfortable except on rough roads and cobble stones but it has 4 wheel drive that cuts in under computer control, and reactive cruise control which works great. It has a beautiful opening panoramic sunroof, LED headlights, Dual Zone climate control, heated leather seats, Sat Nav plus many other extras. The car was just over £20k with upgraded red paint, side moulding rubbing strips and spoiler bought direct from Suzuki UK on a special discount scheme offered to Caravan Club members in 2017 - fantastic value and I've had no problems whatsoever. It's a very competent vehicle for the price, and the insurance was 40% less than my Astra. The only problem disappointment is that its fuel consumption increases to 30mpg when towing.

Build quality is okay and it's had no faults at all
Not GT performance but adequate and relaxed for my needs even when towing

We've covered 3500 miles in past 5 months - 50% of which was while towing. We travelled to France with no costs other than fuel.

SZ-5 1.6 petrol

I bought this car via Suzuki's discount scheme through a family member which knocked a staggering 33% off the list price. A bargain like that is too good to ignore, so despite having never considered one and knowing nothing about it, my wife and I took a test drive and loved it. We have a 2-year old and a baby on the way so space is important. We had two BMW 3-Series estates prior to the S-Cross and needed something more practical for days out and holidays. We like the driving position, the room in the cabin, the sunroof (headroom is irrelevant with a baby in the back) and the amount of kit for the money. The boot has swallowed everything we've thrown at it and the removable/adjustable floor is genius. The heated seats could melt bone and the touch screen (whilst looking a bit aftermarket) is a breeze to use. We don't need a diesel engine for the tiny mileage the second car does or 4WD. Fuel economy is hovering around 43mpg despite only doing about 25 miles a week in traffic. It went up to 48 on a run to South Wales the week after we had it, which I was more than happy with as it was loaded to the gills. Having owned it a month I'm already planning to get shot of the other BMW and have a Swift Sport! The Suzuki is ideal if you want a car to be a car. By that I mean it has no pretense, it isn't pretending to be anything it's not. It has no badge or image to speak of, it's just a solid, comfy, well equipped and well priced car. It's also surprisingly good fun to drive. I also love the fact it's a rare sight on the roads, unlike the countless Qashqais, Sportages and Yetis you see every day. I would recommend one in a heartbeat if you're thinking of buying one.

No gripes so far.
Having just run it in and only now being able to use all the revs I would say it's more than adequate. I'm used to a 250bhp 3.0 diesel so that's no mean feat. Again, light weight helps it feel more sprightly than you'd expect. Just be prepared to rev it if you want to get a move on.

Excellent. Can't argue with the fuel economy and the tyres and brakes are modest. Light weight helps here too, it will probably never wear its tyres and brakes out while we've got it.

I was initially very pleased with this car, and my husband bought it from new before he passed away. 2 months after this happened the car broke down - battery problems - Suzuki garage found no problems. Three months after its first service the same problem happened. AA diagnosed crankshaft problems hence the battery only operating at 43%. Suzuki refusing to install new battery as they say there is still life in it (!) regardless of the fact there is still 2 years warranty left. They are happy if I pay to have the offending item replaced. Very disappointed Suzuki- as a woman on her own a reliable car is a must which is why my husband purchased it in the first place. Is it my imagination but is battery not a mechanical part of the car as should be covered? I won't be recommending or buying again.

1.6 diesel

Never Again. We bought this car last April. Loved the look shape and mpg but all down hill since then. It has been back with Suzuki at least 6 to 8 times. First time up hill disabled light came on they adjusted it. Second time same thing. Third time car would not lock and boot would not open. Fourth time uphill disabled again. Fifth time uphold disabled ,again adjusted by Suzuki. Sixth time parking sensors buzz continues when reversing back to Suzuki again. I've had enough now. I would expect this from an old car but not a brand new car. It's just unnexceptable . This is our 2nd Suzuki but there will no more. I have had enough. Suzuki head office have been involved from day one yet they never contact me. They leave it to there garages to do this. We are not happy. Shame on you Suzuki. I am going to contact my HP company and take my lead from them.

Not good.

Ok.

Good.

SZT 1.6 petrol manual

Got this car just before Christmas 2014 on a lease plan offered by Suzuki. I had not seen any of these on the road untill a friend of mine took up the lease option with Suzuki. After watching how he got on with his and having lifts in it I was pretty impressed so I went for it, I like the seating height and position, it's more roomy inside than I expected, gear box seems ok, mpg good aroung town, have not done a long run yet. Lots of kit, sat-nav, reversing sensors and camera, radio/cd/bluetooth etc. Does not roll or wallow when going round corners at speed, steering a bit light but getting used to it, power could do with a bit more torque. Style different to all the others. I like the front, it makes the car look bigger than it is and gives it some presence. So far no problems.

1.6 SZ4 Petrol

Excellent fuel economy just as it says on the tin, good sized boot that a large washing machine, in its box, fits in. Comfortable seating position for both drivers that use this car. Clear dash and switches, good looking car. Only drawback is severe wind noise from both front doors when gale force crosswinds hit the car. Seems to suck the door away from the frame (on the opposite side that the wind is blowing on)! Happens all of a sudden and gives the driver a bit of a shock the first time it happens. Suzuki informed but got no answer as to a fix. Maybe nowhere else gets gales? Nice car without unwanted bells and whistles to go wrong. 3 years free servicing as bought straight from launch.

This is the 3rd Suzuki we have owned last 2 both SX4 (Sz4) models. No problems in the 3 years they were used.

Just what is needed in a country with a 70mph limit. Good speed and acceleration when needed to overtake trucks.

Very very good (free service deal from launch)

1.6 Diesel SZ-T

Real fun to drive, and on a run I'm getting around 64mpg, going quickly. Around 50 in town. Perfect seating position and what I consider to be a very smart dashboard with only the essential buttons. The sat-nav is quick and works well, and the Bluetooth is perfect. The stereo is a bit weak though, and the regular halogen headlights are only average. All in all I am very pleased, and I'm finding the rear camera and the front sensors (extra on this model) very useful for city work. Without the sunroof the headroom is fine by the way. No, I'm really liking this car, and the diesel engine is a stunner, quick to respond, amazingly accelerative, and economical. Add the handling and the space and what's not to like. My feeling is that the styling will wear well, and anyway, it looks as good as anything else, and did I mention that it is fun!

Nothing to report, only 1100 miles
Quick, very, considering the power. The light weight and decent aerodynamics help.

£20 road tax and excellent economy combined with nippy performance. Loving that.

SX4 model 2000cc DDi 4x4 2007-2014

2012

More than 5 years

This car was bought mainly for my wife who is 5ft 3" and loves it. I'm 6 ft and have the driver's seat right back which is fine; anyone taller might find it cramped. It is nippy (133bhp) and has a towbar for pulling a small caravan which it does easily. Mainly used for short journeys/school runs of 16 mile round trips/shopping etc. but has happily coped with motorway trips to Scotland and the lake District from Bristol. Reliable as can be - on 77,000 miles (2018) and nothing needed other than normal consumables like brakes and tyres. Front door pillars obstruct visibility a little, but you get used to that. What we really love is the 4x4 capability in a small hatchback.

Extremely reliable

1.6

This car certainly isn't for the luxury drive. I've lost count of the number of rattles and squeaks that appear when you least expect it.. the clutch pedal squeaks, there is a rattle coming from under the driver door within the side skirts that sounds like a loose nut or bolt. The brake will jolt even under smooth pressure. Although I have had no problems with the engine I must admit this feels like the cheapest car I've owned including second hand 90's hatchbacks.

1.6 SZ-T DDIS

Bought this car new. Love it to bits - except the rear tyres are wearing down much quicker than front (it's 2 wheel drive). Have had it checked twice at dealer and they say " it's normal for that particular vehicle". Sorry but don't believe them. Anyone else had this problem ? Anyone able to help?

1.6 diesel

Had problems with this car within the first week with the hill start system which has been adjusted by the main dealer on several occasions and has now had the whole system replaced. Other problems consist of the throttle body needing to be replaced, rear parking sensors failed and had to be replaced also oil pressure sensor needed to be swapped out. Finally the hand brake travel keeps on becoming too high causing the car to roll which has need adjustment.

szt

This is my 2nd S-Cross SZT, first car the syncro went on 2nd gear, Suzuki GB replaced it after we sent it back so another same model. Any better? No, still has a notchy 2nd gear. Rattling drivers door even though it's only done 131 miles, plus gear linkage adjustment - in dealers nearly 2 weeks.

Seems ok, let's see how long the Fiat engine and gearbox last.

Pulls very well, plenty of power.

For diesel turbo, very good.

Sz4

Best value compared to other SUVs in that range. Low fuel consumption. This is the only car I've driven that consumes fuel as much as the manual says. Petrol engine is very quiet, good driving position a lot of equipment. To be honest I really can't find anything to complain about.

Petrol, Manual

Does what it says on the tin. Tough.

Tax and service can be high

Recommended