Vauxhall Zafira Tourer owner reviews

"The Vauxhall Zafira Tourer is a seven-seat MPV that’s good to drive, affordable to run and handsomely styled"

• Brakes, Electrics (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Gearbox / clutch, Other (1 cases)
  • Engine (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Gearbox / clutch (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Engine (1 cases)
  • Brakes, Electrics, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics, Engine, Other (1 cases)
  • Electrics (1 cases)

2.0 CDTi 170 BlueInjection Elite Auto

Not a car one would ever buy with one's heart, but have to say I have been very much bowled over by the Zafira Tourer. I ended up taking one begrudgingly to replace my very problematic company car. My Zafira is a 1.6 CDTi Elite and I was sure I would really dislike it, but it was one of the most surprising cars I've ever had. Engine hauled the thing around like a 2.0 (was surprising given most 1.6 diesels are normally a bit anaemic), handled and stopped superbly. For a near 1800kg MPV it's really nice to drive. I could cover ground across country like I did in my previous Golf GTD with no real issues. It drove far better than a heavy 7 seater car has any right to. I didnt end up having my first Zafira for very long – but I ended up buying a 2.0 170 Auto version for my wife for family duties and have been most impressed by it. It has more power so is faster, It has bigger, wider wheels so handles a bit better still, and bigger brakes so stops even better. It's like the previous car just somewhat perfected. The automatic 'box no doubt hurts the performance and economy compared to the manual but it makes it very easy to drive and suits the car. I have a few minor complaints. The Bluetooth system (its a non-Nav car) is a bit backwards with no voice dialling (on my Android phone at least) and is a real faff to use on the move for anything other than taking a phone call (making one is a whole other story). The ride at speed on undulating road can get a bit floaty. It's not a problem from the drivers perspective but if you are hustling with people on board they'll soon get fed up with it. Sometimes you have to pull the handbrake button more than just the once to get it to operate. It would be nice if it automatically came on with ignition off as it does in VWs but just a minor thing. That the car requires AdBlue, and while I appreciate it is a necessity, it's a bit of a pain. It doesn't need topping up that often, but that said its about to go in for a related recall where I suspect its thirst for AdBlue will just increase. Still it helps it be better for the environment so I shouldn't really complain. The panoramic windscreen is a bit pointless. I think I'd rather Vauxhall had just made the panoramic roof bigger, and perhaps allow it to open. That said my wife likes it and uses it. The glass roof with electric blind is a nice touch though and I do sometimes have that open. My biggest bugbear is its economy, which is just appalling on urban journeys. It is supposed to be capable of 47mpg, so high 30s or low 40s ought not be out of the question. Unfortunately, I think its returned about 30mpg on average since we've had it. It's better on a run but still doesn't get near its advertised figures. It is, however, far less thirsty than the car it replaced! The seats are fantastic, probably the best I have experienced in a car to date. They're adjustable every which way, trimmed in leather (which is wearing very well) and heated which is lovely in the colder weather. It's just a really nice place to be on a longer journey, and is probably helped by the more "sit up and beg" driving position. We've had the car just over a year. We bought it at several months old and – bar a blocked rear washer jet (solved under warranty) – it's given us no issues at all. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

1.4 turbo nav (leather) petrol 5dr

This is listed as doing around 40mpg yet I'm getting around 27mpg at best! At 4weeks old the window washer fluid pump broke and the brakes seem to stick a lot, too. The leather seats in the rear are awful solid and uncomfortable, and very noisy inside – I'm forever checking the windows are up properly. The sat nav is easy to use but my son's forever pushing the SOS OnStar button but the organisation is very understanding even after the 12th time on a short journey! We use a lot of data so the £20 10gb WiFi package is brilliant. It keeps the kids quiet.

Poor considering my last car was also a Zafira tourer from new and had the same washer fluid pump fault. The parking sensors aren't great I've reversed straight into something twice in the dark without them going off.

Takes a while to get going, very sluggish. I'm hugely disappointed but did come from a 2.0-litre diesel engined SRi Zafira

Not sure wether it's because my last car (new Zafira SRi) was a 2.0-litre diesel but I'm spending double on fuel easy and only achieving up to 28 mpg! I'm not a crazy driver either, I kept to the eco chart on the dash and it made no difference whatsoever.

2.0 Diesel ecoFlex

We upgraded to a 7 seater a few month before our third child arrived. We were considering VW Touran for a long time, but was nervous of the 'dieselgate' related engine "fix" causing reliability issues. Galaxy and S-Max were slightly over our budget, we didn't want a French car so chose the Zafira Tourer. It is a nice, solid, spacious car. It's alright to drive, but nothing special. Boot space is not as big as I expected it to be, but there are many storage compartments in the cabin. I find the seats very comfortable, but apparently the 3rd row fold out seats are dreadful for adults. Fuel consumption , despite ecoFlex, is only 45MPG on average. We bought the car in June with 44k miles, drove across Europe on a road trip without a glitch....and then the faults started. Two months later we noticed low power one day, but no service vehicle or fault message. The following morning (Sunday 6:30am) whilst on my way to the airport the car just wouldn't accelerate, max speed was 50MPH when the dashboard lit up, chimes and bells sounded and then "service vehicle soon" then "stop car now" message. We got rescued by trailer. The turbo over-boost sensor and mass airflow sensor needed replacing. 5 days later we got a "service vehicle soon" message again, the oil life counter needed resetting. 3 weeks later "service vehicle soon" message yet again, followed by "engine overheated, stop car now" message, so we got towed to a mechanic. This time the engine coolant temperature sensor went. This was 2 days before the baby's due date and we got the car back hours before my wife's water broke. 3 weeks later the "service vehicle soon" warning came back again, the exhaust temperature sensor needed replacing. A lot of faults within 2 months.

A lot of faults within 2 months.

2.0 CDTI SRi

Overall I am very satisfied with the Zafira Tourer. Before settling on the tourer we tried all the viable options C Max, Picasso, Carens. It helped that the hire car after my last car was taken out by Mr uninsured white van was a Zafira so i did get an extended test. The styling of the interior and exterior is practical but but lacking any flair or style. The shape is pleasant to view but lacks stylish features such as LED DRL lights or LED brake lights. Inside the console matches cars of the 20th century not its 21st century counterparts. That said all the style of the citrons electronic displays made me wonder how annoying they would be once they developed some faults such as a complete indifference to want you wish them to do. The ride and handling are great though hardly sports car sharp. The huge alloys that come on the SRi offer huge grip but you can feel the cheap torsion beam suspension at the rear when cornering and the weight of the 2.0 diesel does unbalance the front at the same point. However the torque and power is fantastic and when not straying above speed limits will achieve 50mpg + on a trans-Europe trip with a lovely ride not in the least bit hard but no body roll in corners. In comparison when testing the Citroen I found it to wallow like a bus and with so much glass it felt like one too. The sports style seats are comfy and feel great on country roads with corners. They will however not fit well for those with a large behind. As with all MPVs the rear seats are compromised if the full 7 seats are used. However in 5 seat configuration they offer all that can be expected. The interior is not as roomy as the Citron but similar to the S Max and feels bigger than the Kia Carens. The plastics feel cheap but not as cheap as the Kia or Citron but not as solid as the Ford. The standard spec on the SRi comes with little tech but does include a squared off leather steering wheel. Takes a little to get used to but much nicer the plastic offered on other trims. I don't miss the gadgets as tablet or smart phone offer generally better Sat Navs apps with more features and abilities to connect to the OBII port for live engine data apps. My biggest user gripe is the lack of a heated front windscreen. I miss pressing a button and 30 later seconds everything is clear. I have sat and timed how long it takes the blower on a misted windscreen without resorting to wiping and getting smear marks. 5 minutes!! My second biggest gripe is Vauxhalls' totally useless trim options. After the entry level model there are no clear steps up or continuation in standard features. The New face-lift model released in 2016 looks great and does in many aspects start to fulfill much of the potential that was there in the 2012 model.

No issues
Excellent power and plenty of grip on a smooth ride
Can be thirsty with a heavy foot.

1.4 Sri turbo

I bought this car thinking I would have no problems, but unfortunately I've had more problems with this car than any other car I've owned - and I've been driving for 15 years and never had so many problems. Within the period of owning it it had to have a new turbo, new gearbox and clutch, a rattling noise which they can never find the problem, ignition coil - I get a electric shock every time I get out of it this is due to too much static of the road. I was laughed at as well as its just occurred a banging noise on the drivers side which I was told that's the anti roll bar. Every time I fix a problem a new one comes along - would I recommend this? I don't think so - the only good thing about this car is the seats are comfortable and its appearance.

1.6 CDTi EcoFlex (136PS)

Owned this car from new and only 9 months old with 14,000 on the clock. Turbocharger has blown. I think they have taken it too far. I owned a 2.0ltr Mazda 6 Sport before this and it put out 143PS, therefore I think a 1.6 putting out 7PS less than my old 2.0 sport is asking a bit much of such a small engine. The attraction was the 109g/km emissions as this keeps my company car tax down. Would not be buying another.

2-3 litre, Diesel, Manual

No problems

No parts needed so far, fuel price worse part but good mpg

2.0 tech line ecoflex

I bought this car mainly for summer holidays due to it's size and room in seating areas. Overall I really like it, but it's not the best for night driving unless it has the new adaptive forward lighting, the standard bulbs simply aren't bright enough. The lack of a spare tyre is a disappointment. It also is a bit noisy inside, after all is a British built vehicle. I had the DPF light coming on a few times, but this is only to the fact that it's mainly being used for a 5 mile commute on a daily basis. Besides this points, I really like it. It is stylish vehicle, very versatile and full of technology. It is a very nice car to drive, powerful and fast. I live on a mountain area and still I'm getting about 45 mpgs on this area, that's about 400 miles from a tank of diesel. When I go on holidays, I drive mainly on level ground and I can get an astonishing 60 mpgs, that's about 650 miles from a tank of diesel, pretty good for a 2 litre engine. Road tax is also cheap, only £30 a year.
Good vehicle. If the DPF light comes on, just take it for a drive, no need to rev it. It only needs to run for a bit with the engine at normal running temperature.
Powerful and fast.

Cheap to run on fuel and tax

1.6 CDTi Tech Line

Clunky Gearbox and poor finish. MPG long way off what the read out and book suggests. Top this off keyfob decided not to work off either key and all the presets went at the same time. If you are looking for a good MPV of this size definitely would say get a Touran unfortunately as company car driver choice was no longer an option.

2.0 Diesel Eco Flex 130 Tech Line

2012

Bought car at 10 months old with 8,000 miles, ex Vauxhall Fleet Demo. Now covered over 60,000 miles. Car drives & performs well. Diesel engine is a bit noisy, particularly on start up & when cold, but once warm, performs well and is an excellent all rounder. Superb long distance cruiser on the motorway & excellent for a young family. 3rd row seats are small, but OK for children on short distances. Boot space is huge with seats down. Reliability has been very good, occasionally sat nav freezes or displays in KMS. Drivers door mirror flew off on the motorway, but was replaced under warranty after visiting 3 x Vauxhall dealerships. Servicing is every 20,000 miles so dealer visits are few. Tech Line spec is the one to go for, especially for comapny car drivers, low list price, sat nav, Bluetooth, USB & DAB radio are all standard, plus alloys & privacy glass. Compromises are basic cloth upholstery & plastic steering wheel & gear knob feel cheap. Overall, a great car with lower company car tax than rivals and feels a better overall package than a Citroen Picasso. Will probably replace it with a 1.6 CDTi Tech Line.

No mechanical problems. R/N/S tyre shredded on motorway, so was left stranded, as no spare wheel. Inflation kit useless. Drivers door mirror flew off on the motorway.

130 bhp 2.0 Diesel engine performs very well, plenty of low down pull and very comfortable on the motorway. Noisy when cold.

45 mpg, £30 road tax, excellent for large MPV.

2012

Always does exactly what's required. No issues.

Parts are reasonable, fuel economy could be better as it's an Eco tec model.

1-1.5 litre, Petrol, Automatic

No problems

Seems to be more fuel efficient than previous car

no problems so far

not particularly economical but is a large car

48.5
No problems encountered yet, although it has been the subject of two recalls already.

I purchased the car with 3 years free servicing and 100,000 miles warranty plus Ł500 cash card for fuel etc. So the vehicle has not cost me anything to run until this month when I started paying for fuel. As an ECO version the road tax is zero for the first year and currently Ł30 per year thereafter.

So far so good

I hope the mpg's improve

1.5-2 litre, Diesel

2012

Had no issues with reliability yet.

The MPG isn't as good as the figures printed in the brochure but the car is only just starting to loosen up so could improve. Had no reason to to purchase any spares yet.

, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Manual

2011

SRi, 2.0-litre to 3.0-litre, Diesel, Automatic

2011

1.4T SRI

Very pleased with this car. Purchased from main dealer ex Motability car (3,000 Mileage,65 plate)) saved over 10K from list price. Seats are very supportive, ride is generally very good and engine quiet..

Excellent , no problems to date
For a 1,4T engine very good , had a 3 adults and a boot full of luggage the other day and noticed no difference in performance.
Petrol has been my only cost.

1.4 turbo

Love it but you cannot use three child car seats accross middle where previous model zafira you can. Something that is not mentioned by dealers only in handbook
Very good
Good
Good

1.4 Elite

Overall a very good family car - OK mpg, comfortable seats, clever boot, good equipment level. BUT standard headlights are so poor as to be dangerous. A common problem now emerging but no fix other than an HID conversion which appears to be an MOT issue. Makes you think twice about driving at night, never had a car like this. Maybe I'm spoilt by other cars in the family like Saab and Audi, but this thing is dangerous.

so far so good

for a 1.4 surprisingly good, much better than the 1.8 Zafira it replaces..

ok mpg

Elite

Apart from a few small niggles, I have nothing much to complain about except for the fact that Vauxhall have not been able to fix the heater on the driver's seat! Also, mpg in town driving is 22-26mpg as it's a 2.0-litre auto diesel and I also have to sit in it every so often in nuetral revving engine for 12-20 minutes to clear the DP Filter warning as the traffic driving directly causes this if you do mostly city driving.

1.4 turbo auto elite

Nice car to drive. My old zafira was the Mk1 - so this is a big step up. Extras are nice and so far we have had no problems with the car. My only grip is that the mpg is such lower than the advertised. Urban consumption is high - but expected. When I am on straight roads cruising at 60mph I rarely get much better than high 30s and not the 50+. The finish quality is so-so but can't fault the space or the drive. We were tempted to go for a VW sharan but very few petrol engines around that were auto - but this has been a decent second best.

So far so good. Only minor problem has been the failure of one rear door to lock
Good to drive. Handles well. Slightly noisier than I hoped - you can hear the turbo kicking in and the large windscreen probably doesn't help.

Assuming no major problems with reliability - all should be OK. But the MPG is much much lower than the official. Assumed it would be - but not by this much

GOOD SO FAR

REALLY TOO SOON TO SAY, BUT MPG NOTHING LIKE OFFICIAL FIGURES- WHATS NEW

165bhp diesel stop/start SE

2012

Good car. Only real complaint is the fuel consumption, getting only about 75% of the "official " manufacturers figures

no problems so far

Fuel Consumption is poor compared with manufacturers figures

2.0 diesel SRI

Fab car. I've had this from new and have had no real trouble at all. The only negative I can mention is that the diesel particle filter clogs up a bit, but that's my fault for not getting it out on any decent long runs very often! Other than that, it's great. Fantastic space, flexible seating. I owned the previous Zafira to this one and again in my three year ownership, the car was flawless, no breakdowns, no electrical problems, no bodywork issues. Would definitely recommend this car.

2.0 CDTI Bi-Turbo SRi

The ride is excellent and quiet considering the size of the car and the 19" wheels. The handling is superb and the engine has plenty of torque through the rev range, even when fully loaded with passengers. Good mpg returns for engine and vehicle size. Even though it is a powerful car the drive is just so relaxing you find yourself just cruising along. The boot space is huge when in 5 seat mode and like a van when all rear seats are flat. Keep the tyres to the eco PSI settings found in the owners manual for increased tyre life. The only faults I have had is the DPF clogging unusually quicker than it should and the binding/grinding noise when reversing, which were both fixed under warranty. I'm very pleased with the car so far and the only thing letting Vauxhall down is some of its dealers' attitudes towards customers.

Hasn't left me stranded, but did go into service vehicle soon mode twice in the 1st 7 months of owning. Starts 1st time every time.

Great performance from the car if needed and loads of torque. The 2.0 CDTi 170 engine, which is the now the top diesel engine (I believe), also has plenty of torque.

Servicing at the local dealer is competitive and have good returns on the mpg.

2.0 elite

Mixed feelings with this car that I have as a company vehicle. When I took delivery of it, the USB didn't work... After a bit of investigation it was found the wrong head unit was fitted in the vehicle and so it had to go back in the garage for the "elite" head unit to be fitted but worked a charm after that. Stereo a bit tinny though, so not wholly impressed with the sound system. Bluetooth phone link is slow to access address book. I have done 32k in the car in 13 months and I am on my 3rd set of tyres! I dont like that when you top up with oil it won't let you reset the counter yourself. I have had engine-coolant-low message come on a few times so had a trip to garage to get this topped up....they said there may be a leak if it comes on again. I find all the seats narrow as our sons booster seat always covers the seatbelt socket and when he is in the front, the booster seat is at an angle due to the narrow sides on the seat. Engine can be noisy on start up but runs well and gives plenty of punch for overtaking when needed, and has surprised a few tailgaters when I've accelerated away from them! It's an OK car...not really kid friendly for an MPV as rear leg room limited when front seats slid back. Can't really recommend the car as there are others that do it better in my opinion and I have had a fair few cars over the years.

EXCELLENT SO FAR

MUCH BETTER THAN THE OLD MODEL

2012

IT ALWAYS STARTS FIRST TIME. IT COMFORTABLE. IF I DO EVER HAVE A PROBLEM I GET FIRST CLASS SERVICE FROM THE GARAGE WHERE I BOURGHT THE CAR

MOST OF THE EXTREAM RUNNING COSTS ARE DOWN TO FUEL TAX, ROAD TAX AND INSURANCE WHICH I HAVE TO EXCEPT IF I WANT TO RUN A CAR

2012

Very heavy fuel usage accelerating from a standing position

2012

Found no problems with any aspect of the car, especially in winter driving conditions.

1 tank per month average

fine so far - not had it long enough to be sure OK - hence 4

Petrol consumption higher than expected

Zafira 1.4 SRI turbo

Awful. In a year mine has needed five lots of oil, new brake pads, all fuses inside replaced and is basically costing me £1 per mile in fuel. It's awful, I hate this heap of junk.

Nil

Costs a fortune

2.0D 163HP ELITE

Where shall i start - Ah yes day 1. Car arrived and after getting familiar with it plugged in USB for music and nothing was recognised. Tried various sticks and non working. Took to dealer who also couldn't get it to work. After a week in the garage they figured out that the USB had not been connected and the wrong USB socket had been installed for the head unit in my car. Eventually ordered the correct part and got working after a couple of weeks. I have had problem with drivers side seat heater turning off after a few mins. This went into garage and they replaced something in the seat. The problem has now recently started happening again 2 years later. I have had the turbo replaced as 3 times the car has gone into engine preservation mode and killed all power when i have tried to accelerate. I seem to be getting through front tyres every 14000 miles which is shocking - never had to change the tyres so often on any other cars i have owned. MPG is not great - around 35. The ride is rough and unrefined. The interior lets in alot of road and wind noise - esopecially at around 70-80mph where there is a whistling noise. cold mornings are a pain as the massive windscreen takes forever to clear and as there is alot space inside it takes forever to warm up. Bluetooth connectivity is slooooow and display for driver and radio are old fashioned and dull I really cannot recommend this car. It is my company vehicle and i am counting down the days until i can replace it. The only good things i can list is that is fairly quick and the seats are quite comfy.

2l elite

Top of range Elite version but doesn't have phone connection? Rear seats a joke my 5 and 6 year old don't have leg room at all have to sit with legs bent ,car designed to carry 7 people but God forbid you have any bags as the boot space is tiny , seat belt warning beeps when no one sitting in seats ? Fuel economy shocking. Good points eh well oh yes leather heated seats and ........ no that's it !

Very noisy and slow reaction

Expensive

2012

It does what it says on tyhe tin

Not had long enough to form a opinon

No issues in the 5 months I have owned it - too new to tell

Too new to tell

44.5
Don't know as its only 11months old

Fuel consumption not at all as advertised

2012

the scuttle panel over the engine,ice collects also water, this drips across engine over fuse box battery engine cover,this water runs inside engine cover.resulting in none starter.AA took 25hours to take car to dealership.makeshift cover put under channel at vauxhalls orders this does not work water still dripping,this panel needs mod or replacing.head office no help.also when opening the doors water drips onto the seats.(WHEN RAINNING OR SNOW)

RUNNING AROUND TOWN.

no repoted problems yet

vauxhall spares are too expensive

Elite 165, with Flexi ride dynamic damping control and AFL system.

Excellent ride and control, much better than my previous Zafira Sri 150, B generation. Interior is premium and quiet. Drive is comfortable too. Only minor snag is that I get about 40mpg instead of the near official figure of about 50mpg. Nevertheless, I would strongly recommend it with Flexible ride Dynamic Damping control added as an option.