Volkswagen Scirocco owner reviews

"The Volkswagen Scirocco is a stylish coupe that’s fun to drive, but it’s no longer available to buy new"

2.0 TSI

2009

FUN! FUN! FUN! I saw this review and thought, that was quite a low rating by Carbuyer, mostly on the lack of strength of the boot. Its decent! I was toying on getting this car vs the BMW Mini Cooper S or the Audi TT. I drove them all, they seemed fine, but it was actually the boot space & cabin space that won me over! I needed to fit in at least a pram and a suitcase, which it does pretty easily, though I have a maclaren pram rather than a quinny (which you don't *really* need when your kid is older than 1). Bought as a second car, dropping the kids off to school instead of struggling with the big 4x4 with parking, the kids love the oomph you feel when driving it. I have the automatic DSG transmission on the 2 litre petrol, achieving around 29/30mpg which is decent enough for me, considering how fun it is to drive. Its also a front wheel drive, so it handles okay in snow, when compared to my previous BMW 330D. The Scirocco also rivals the 241bhp of my old BMW with its own 200bhp. When you use the paddle-shift to shift down, the car really moves at an exhilarating speed. Visibility out of the rear window, and my knees hitting the keys in the ignition are probably the only gripes i have with the car. I'm 6ft, and over a distance, I'm still quite comfortable in the car. I've taken the car to Liverpool and back(London) with no comfort issues. Oh and its a 2 door car, the doors are quite big so you get in quite easily, but sometimes when parking in tight spots, the huge doors make you squeeze out at times.

Bluemotion 140PS TD

This is the second Scirocco i have owned and I would buy another. Its handling is great. The brakes are strong and with the R18 tyres it will stop when needed. The space in the back is superior to small cars and is adequate when compared to medium hatches. I have had absolutely nothing go wrong with both my Sciroccos. There is a slight hint of cheapness to the boot's plastic surround but the interior is nice and modern. It feels and drives like a sports car. The engine is a tiny bit noisy but having a quiet engine isn't what a sports car is all about any way. The sat nav is easy to use but frustratingly does not like postal code entry. But postal codes are not the safest way to find an address! The standard tyres last to about 19,000 miles but non-standard continentals last longer but are harder. I would recommend anybody to use wider tyres like the standard Pirrellis as the alloy wheels can get a scuff easier with the continentals. Also i would say a lot of drivers who own the Scirroccos are boy racers meaning they will destroy the car and drive it with little care to its long term reliability. I don't do that with mine.

2.0Tdi

Very few people, if asked, are anything less than enthusiastic about the Scirocco. It is different in a world of same. A masculine car that is not overly aggressive. It is a good looking but unusual car that makes me smile every time I look at it. Comfort is superb if you are used to the tight fairly firm handling of VW's more sporty cars. The build of the thing has the solidity of VW that means it thunks rather than rattles or wobbles over bumps but this is comforting, not uncomfortable or a concern. It is supremely comfortable to drive long distances. The handling is outstanding; no matter what electronic aids, you can't beat physics and coming from a Golf, I can feel the lower wider stance working for me in corners - neutral and planted. You'll never get tail out antics on a Scirocco or lousy understeer. Since I've never ever seen anyone try the former on an open road in 30 years of high mileage driving (I don't even do it in my fun-car MX5) and the later is dreadful (try a 2010 A3 diesel to know how dreadful ploughing on really us) the Scirocco is set perfect for good safe sporting driving. I f the day comes when I worry about the load lip on the rear hatch, I'll be close to giving up driving anyway. Build quality is better than a Boxster I had from new and the Audis I've owned. Scirocco - Great car.

2.0 gt black edition

I'm back in a Scirocco after a 3 year break, and just love it. The car has a quality feel about it, the TDI engine is fantastic and the interior layout is great. Only downside for me was rapid tyre tyre wear and the bad luck I had with punctures – it is certainly not cheap for a tyre.

No problems so far with either I've had.
    Delighted has plenty power
    Good on fuel, sore on tyres

Recommended